Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
AK talks about his own computer and passwords @ 9:45
April 23rd, 2018
Utrecht, the Netherlands.
I have watched this film before and it is quite interesting for a number of things:
- Arjen says that according to the new Dutch Cyber Security Policy, the Netherlands wants to have more "retaliatory cyber capability". He also compares the policy to the cold war.
- If I'm not mistaken, Arjen is referring to this Policy: https://www.nederlandict.nl/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/stcrt-2018-16768.pdf
- The purpose of the Policy is: defence against cybercrime, digital fraud. Retaliation is not mentioned. Therefore I don't understand his point of view.

Arjen says that he makes use of password managers and at one point he says (you also pointed it out): unless you physically steal my laptop, and know 3 of my passwords, you can't get in. (Did he bring his laptop to Norway and did someone perhaps try to steal his laptop in Norway?)

Arjen held his presentation on the 23rd of April 2018. Little did he know that only 10 days before, the Dutch government had expelled 4 Russian spies who had come to NL to spy on the OPCW?

I have watched this film before and it is quite interesting for a number of things:
- Arjen says that according to the new Dutch Cyber Security Policy, the Netherlands wants to have more "retaliatory cyber capability". He also compares the policy to the cold war.
- If I'm not mistaken, Arjen is referring to this Policy: https://www.nederlandict.nl/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/stcrt-2018-16768.pdf
- The purpose of the Policy is: defence against cybercrime, digital fraud. Retaliation is not mentioned. Therefore I don't understand his point of view.

Arjen says that he makes use of password managers and at one point he says (you also pointed it out): unless you physically steal my laptop, and know 3 of my passwords, you can't get in. (Did he bring his laptop to Norway and did someone perhaps try to steal his laptop in Norway?)

Arjen held his presentation on the 23rd of April 2018. Little did he know that only 10 days before, the Dutch government had expelled 4 Russian spies who had come to NL to spy on the OPCW?
Four Russians expelled from Netherlands over cyberattack plot targeting chemical weapons watchdog
``Pictures show that they parked outside the perimeter fence and opened the boot to use a computer, powered by a portable battery that had been bought in the Netherlands and connected to a wifi antenna which they hid from view under a coat.

As Dutch officers moved in, one of the men attempted to destroy some of the equipment but failed, leaving a computer and phones which revealed a sizeable amount of extra intelligence.

The men had cleaned out their hotel room, taking rubbish and any other items with them that might somehow allow counter-espionage agents to track them.```

“The unit involved, known in the Russian military as Unit 26165, has sent officers around the world to conduct brazen close-access cyber-operations.”

On August 8, Kamphuis checks in the Radisson Blu in Trondheim. He stays there for two nights before checks in at the Radisson Blu in Bodø on 10 August. After 17 August, the Raddison hotel in Bodø is fully booked and Kamphuis switches to Scandic Bodø and stays there for three nights. Kamphuis booked eleven hotel rooms in seven different cities before the holiday. In total, he stayed at three of these hotels. The hotels Kamphuis canceled are in Bodø, Trondheim, Fauske, Vikhammer, Sjørvågen, Longyearbyen and Røst. Although Kamphuis told the maid that he should come home on August 22, he has not booked a room at any hotel after August 20th.

Kamphuis' phone had entered three base stations in Rogaland. The phone was turned on for 20 minutes before the Dutch sim card was exchanged with a German SIM card. According to Dutch police, the police in Norway have not asked for the history of the German sim card yet. Still the latest investigation has been focused around Vikeså because of the phone pings here. The police in Bodø writes in an email to VG that they have previously stated that there are two different phones that have entered Fauske and Vikeså. The sim card used on August 20, 2018 in Indre Salten (fauske)is not the same as the sim cards that pinged in Rogaland (vikeså). The police say during Åsted Norge that their starting point is that Kamphuis itself used their mobile phone in Vikeså. The police's main theory is that the mobile phone has been moving between the base stations. Forsvinningsgåten: Hva skjedde med Arjen Kamphuis?

On August 8, Kamphuis checks in the Radisson Blu in Trondheim. He stays there for two nights before checks in at the Radisson Blu in Bodø on 10 August. After 17 August, the Raddison hotel in Bodø is fully booked and Kamphuis switches to Scandic Bodø and stays there for three nights. Kamphuis booked eleven hotel rooms in seven different cities before the holiday. In total, he stayed at three of these hotels. The hotels Kamphuis canceled are in Bodø, Trondheim, Fauske, Vikhammer, Sjørvågen, Longyearbyen and Røst. Although Kamphuis told the maid that he should come home on August 22, he has not booked a room at any hotel after August 20th.

Kamphuis' phone had entered three base stations in Rogaland. The phone was turned on for 20 minutes before the Dutch sim card was exchanged with a German SIM card. According to Dutch police, the police in Norway have not asked for the history of the German sim card yet. Still the latest investigation has been focused around Vikeså because of the phone pings here. The police in Bodø writes in an email to VG that they have previously stated that there are two different phones that have entered Fauske and Vikeså. The sim card used on August 20, 2018 in Indre Salten (fauske)is not the same as the sim cards that pinged in Rogaland (vikeså). The police say during Åsted Norge that their starting point is that Kamphuis itself used their mobile phone in Vikeså. The police's main theory is that the mobile phone has been moving between the base stations. Forsvinningsgåten: Hva skjedde med Arjen Kamphuis?
WOW!

Follow the phones!

About these hotels, IMHO booking various hotels is the oldest trick in the book if you haven't made up your mind about where exactly you are going, and when, but you want to make sure that there is a room for you.

Hotels are obviously not happy about it, but as long as you cancel within the time limit, you can do so free of cost.

IMHO, Arjens' roaming days were over and he valued comfort over the freedom of backpacking with a small tent and a sleeping bag.

Vikhammaer is close to Trondheim (perhaps even along the train track to Bodø).
Sørvagen and Røst are in the Lofoten archipelago.

Do you have the whole text of the article? It is behind a paywall. Somewhere in Internet I have read that the same article also mentions that according to a friend of Arjen, "weeks before his holiday" Arjen discovered that someone had messed up his front door and the lock had been screwed out.

I don't believe that that happened "weeks before his holiday", but years before his holiday. This is what Arjen told Novini:
Ik was verhuisd naar Duitsland, had net een nieuw appartement. We waren anderhalve dag weggeweest, en bij thuiskomst, bij het openen van de buitendeur kwam de cilinder uit het slot. Dan weet je dus dat er iemand in je huis is geweest, en als daar dan niks van waarde is verdwenen, dan weet je: het was waarschijnlijk een waarschuwing.
“Ieder mens heeft wel iets te verbergen”

- Arjen had booked 11 hotel rooms in 7 different towns.
- He stayed at 3 hotels that he had booked.
- He cancelled hotels at: Bodø, Trondheim, Fauske, Vikhammer, Sjørvågen, Longyearbyen and Røst.
Forsvinningsgåten: Hva skjedde med Arjen Kamphuis?

He stayed 2 nights in Trondheim*. Vikhammer -12 km east of Trondheim- became redundant and was cancelled.
* While in Trondheim, he apparently de-installed Signal from his phone.

He stayed at 2 hotels in Bodø, and apparently he cancelled at least one other hotel in Bodø.

Arjen did not travel to the Lofoten archipelago and the hotels in Sørvagen and Røst were cancelled.
Arjen did not travel to Longyearbyen and the hotel over there was cancelled.

The odd place out is Fauske: Arjen did travel to Fauske, but he cancelled his hotel(s) in Fauske. His last ping of August 20 was in Fauske.
No hotel reservation was made for after August 20th.

- Arjen had booked 11 hotel rooms in 7 different towns.
- He stayed at 3 hotels that he had booked.
- He cancelled hotels at: Bodø, Trondheim, Fauske, Vikhammer, Sjørvågen, Longyearbyen and Røst.
Forsvinningsgåten: Hva skjedde med Arjen Kamphuis?

He stayed 2 nights in Trondheim*. Vikhammer -12 km east of Trondheim- became redundant and was cancelled.
* While in Trondheim, he apparently de-installed Signal from his phone.

He stayed at 2 hotels in Bodø, and apparently he cancelled at least one other hotel in Bodø.

Arjen did not travel to the Lofoten archipelago and the hotels in Sørvagen and Røst were cancelled.
Arjen did not travel to Longyearbyen and the hotel over there was cancelled.

The odd place out is Fauske: Arjen did travel to Fauske, but he cancelled his hotel(s) in Fauske. His last ping of August 20 was in Fauske.
No hotel reservation was made for after August 20th.
Does not sound,like an ordinary holiday to me..too many bookings,too many cancellations in high season,when (presumably) a break was needed.

Would be nice to know, when he exactly (date) bought the kayak and if he did visit the places of his interest/bookings,during his stay in Bodø.

Do agree with you that Fauske is odd,where he booked/cancelled the hotel and his phone pinged.

’Arjen Kamphuis verstopte zich op vrachtschip’
e09fb230-ba8e-11e8-96a7-09a00225f721.jpg

e0aef704-ba8e-11e8-96a7-09a00225f721.jpg

Stavanger ligt zo'n 1600 kilometer ten zuiden van Bodø, de plek waar Kamphuis op 20 augustus vertrok uit zijn hotel.

Vikhammaer is close to Trondheim (perhaps even along the train track to Bodø).
Sørvagen and Røst are in the Lofoten archipelago.

Do you have the whole text of the article? It is behind a paywall. Somewhere in Internet I have read that the same article also mentions that according to a friend of Arjen, "weeks before his holiday" Arjen discovered that someone had messed up his front door and the lock had been screwed out.

I don't believe that that happened "weeks before his holiday", but years before his holiday. This is what Arjen told Novini:
Ik was verhuisd naar Duitsland, had net een nieuw appartement. We waren anderhalve dag weggeweest, en bij thuiskomst, bij het openen van de buitendeur kwam de cilinder uit het slot. Dan weet je dus dat er iemand in je huis is geweest, en als daar dan niks van waarde is verdwenen, dan weet je: het was waarschijnlijk een waarschuwing.
“Ieder mens heeft wel iets te verbergen”
I have red something about that he found his door locker messed up just after moving to Germany, can\t find the blog now, but I also belive its longer time ago, not weeks before his disappearance. I think it was somewhere in this page: Gunnar Hagen Verdt å vite

Edit: it is (the locker mess) mentioned here: Arjen Kamphuis: «Ethvert menneske har noe å skjule» Its a norwegian translation from Eric van de Beek interviews Arjen Kamphuis

Edit 2: (from VG) "He did not talk much about the episode (lockermess), and neither did report to the police. But he should have perceived the episode as threatening, according to the friend, who believes Kamphuis was not the type to report to the police." - I ask myself: If AK doesn't trust the police, why should I do in his/this case ?

Last edited:
How many phones and SIM cards did he have? I have lost count.
What I have understood fro media is that he had at least 2 phones (as the one in the north was not the same as in the south) Last ping with one phone was at Fauske around 22h August 20. The base station covers a large area, including the area where search has been made. One of his phones had 2 SIM card slots, he had german and deutch SIM card switched in the southern part. This phone was turned on for 20 minutes before the Dutch sim card was exchanged with a German SIM card. This phone pinged at Bråstein, Vikeså and Ualand - all three lie along the E39. There is no connection between the sim card used on August 20, 2018 in Indre Salten (north) and the sim cards that made a feature in Rogaland (south). So far....2 phones and 3 sims ?

Police inspector Bjarte Walla writes in an e-mail to VG that there has been no search in Vikeså. So WHY is the same police stating that the latest investigation about his disapparance has been consentrated about Vikså !? Forsvinningsgåten: Hva skjedde med Arjen Kamphuis?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Survey if anyone else is interested. Who thinks the SIM card exchange was done by AK?

Count me in. I believe it was AK.
I am not sure,really hope so...but if
I am not mistaken,these were/are Android phone(s),and did read that the IMEI numbers can be erased/deleted/changed:
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-change-the-IMEI-number-of-a-cell-phone
General - IMEI number has been deleted // does not recognize the sim car
Feel free to correct me,if I am wrong.

Add:
-Where the IMEI is used to trace the location of a device or find the stolen device, on the other hand its used to make a device untraceable by changing its IMEI number, serial number, device id, Donkeyguard number, UDID.-

Arjens phone with a dual sim card (?)
-Now, if your android device is a dual sim device. Then you will get two option like IMEI_1 [SIM1] and IMEI_2 [SIM2]. Then select any one or of which you want to change IMEI number.-

How To Change IMEI, Device ID of Any Android Device - Gadget.Council

Last edited:
I have red something about that he found his door locker messed up just after moving to Germany, can\t find the blog now, but I also belive its longer time ago, not weeks before his disappearance. I think it was somewhere in this page: Gunnar Hagen Verdt å vite

Edit: it is (the locker mess) mentioned here: Arjen Kamphuis: «Ethvert menneske har noe å skjule» Its a norwegian translation from Eric van de Beek interviews Arjen Kamphuis

Edit 2: (from VG) "He did not talk much about the episode (lockermess), and neither did report to the police. But he should have perceived the episode as threatening, according to the friend, who believes Kamphuis was not the type to report to the police." - I ask myself: If AK doesn't trust the police, why should I do in his/this case ?
Yes, it happened years ago in Germany.

And what's happening at #findarjen...? "VG article describes a break-in at @ArjenKamphuis apartment in NL weeks before trip to Norway where front door and lock was screwed loose, which he interpreted as a threat targeted at him personally."
Dag Øien on Twitter

Ooooww, how can this be mended? It happened years ago in Germany.

Last edited:
I am not sure,really hope so...but if
I am not mistaken,these were/are Android phone(s),and did read that the IMEI numbers can be erased/deleted/changed:
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-change-the-IMEI-number-of-a-cell-phone
General - IMEI number has been deleted // does not recognize the sim car
Feel free to correct me,if I am wrong.

Add:
-Where the IMEI is used to trace the location of a device or find the stolen device, on the other hand its used to make a device untraceable by changing its IMEI number, serial number, device id, Donkeyguard number, UDID.-

Arjens phone with a dual sim card (?)
-Now, if your android device is a dual sim device. Then you will get two option like IMEI_1 [SIM1] and IMEI_2 [SIM2]. Then select any one or of which you want to change IMEI number.-

How To Change IMEI, Device ID of Any Android Device - Gadget.Council
Never knew that this would be possible. In other words, IF Arjens imei number was "borrowed" by someone else, that someone else would have had to know his imei number + phone number. That's quite complicated. Would be easier for that someone else to just use Arjens phone instead. In other words: I think that it was Arjens phone at Vikesa and surroundings.

With all the facts,unlock the pincode on the cellphone,sms loading & recieved...I would like to believe that is was Arjen at the area Vikesa,on August 30,but to be honest..I have doubts...

If you read futher on the website..>>
"Find IMEI number or Device Id of any android device (either phone or tablet):
If you are unable to find out the device id or IMEI number of your device then a simple below trick will help you,
  • To find out IMEI number of your device, just dial *#06# .
  • To find out device ID, Just dial *#*#8255#*#* and you will get your device id in GTalk Service Monitor. And an another way to find out device id is by going to Menu > Settings > About Phone > Status."
Seems easy,to do so,but haven't tried it myself,yet.

Never knew that this would be possible. In other words, IF Arjens imei number was "borrowed" by someone else, that someone else would have had to know his imei number + phone number. That's quite complicated. Would be easier for that someone else to just use Arjens phone instead. In other words: I think that it was Arjens phone at Vikesa and surroundings.
Both of the SIM cards was connected to him, if someone fake the IMEI nr how to fake the SIM cards ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackie&Tim
Back