Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tide you can see here: Se havnivå (eng. version click flag top right)

This is 6th generation fishers in Saltstraumen, they prob. can answere questions about the fjords, streams, typical tourist things to do etc. Norsk
Good then seems you answered your own question. Btw never knew there is a kayakclub in Rognan can you add their website ?

From how the fisher describes AKs belongings that has his ID and money, it seems like it is something similar to this: Outdoor Tactical Waist Belt Military Sports Genuine Leather Molle Zipper Bag Case For Iphone X 8 7 7plus 5 6s For S8 S8 Plus Note8 Wholesale Cell Phone Cases Designer Cell Phone Cases From Minifocus, $15.08| Dhgate.Com That is somthing that doesn't fall of so easily (if you fall in the water for example), you have to open the belt to take it off. Neither I do not feel the theory about "random robbery" fit when money still there.

Last edited:
Thanks. We hope that too. There are so many questions that we can't believe the scenario that now seems most likely.

That is a fair description of any scenario in this disappearance, I think. May I tentatively conclude that Arjen bought a hi-tec kayak without telling anyone and went on a holiday, did not even send one picture to anyone, yet loved kayaking so much that he went out in bad weather on his last afternoon when he had a train to catch?

Disbelief does not begin to describe it.

If you like, and if you have the time and interest, you may request to become a verified insider in this case. This means that you do not have to back up your statements with MSM publications. Mind you, there is no obligation to answer questions, provide info or make statements, it is a free world with free speech and that includes the right to remain silent too.

Your kind message is very much appreciated either way.

Courage and strength to all of you.

Arjen's phone was not at/near Tussvika on the 20th of August, 22:00 hrs.

tell more! do you have a link for that one?
Because by the 6th of September the police had analysed his phone already and therefore they knew his data and his pings.
Despite of that, they did not search at Tussvika. They only started to search there when the stuff was found - one week later!
His last ping of that day was at Fauske - 10 km from Tussvika.

I have tried to explain this on page 24, my post # 467. According to Tarjei Abelsen there is an antenna at Tussvika. Apparently Arjen's phone did not ping on that Tussvika-antenna. Just read step-by-step to understand:

If one reads between the lines:
The first time ROGNAN was mentioned by police, was only after Arjens belongings had been found by the fisherman. On the 12th of September the police said: "The police has reason to believe that Arjen Kamphuis went with a local train from Bodø to Rognan on August 20th, departing from Bodø at 16.05, arriving in Rognan at 17.29."
Funn av eiendeler tilhørende Arjen Kamphuis

Has reason to believe. No proof therefore. Why reason to believe? Because on that side of the Fjord, the water flows from Rognan to Tussvika and beyond.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And it was only after that discovery that the police decided to search that area (Tussvika). Now, why hadn't the police searched that area before? The police had already analysed the phone data of Arjen before that discovery. In fact, 6 days before the discovery, on the 6th of September, the Police had reported: "Now the Police has got certified information about his telephones, which are registrated in Stavanger the 30th of August."
Status i søket etter savnede Arjen Kamphuis

Therefore on the 6th of September the police must have already known that Arjens phone had "pinged" on an antenna somewhere in or around Fauske, but apparently, they did not link that ping to Tussvika***. The link came much later, when Tarjei Abelsen reported about the last ping at 22:00 hrs on the 20th of August:
Tarjei Abelsen on Twitter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tarjei wondered which of the antennas at Fauske had received the ping. He says: "Big reach of the antenna, also covering place where kayak was found 10km away."
Tarjei even wonders about an antenna very nearby Tussvika:
s8nwrUH.jpg

*** If it had been the "Tussvika antenna", then police would have searched the Tussvika area much earlier. But they did not. That leads me to believe that the antenna that was pinged, is perhaps in or on the other side of Fauske, not at Tussvika. At 22:00 hrs, Arjens phone was not at Tussvika, but somewhere else in or near Fauske.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arjens train was leaving Fauske at 22.21. Why couldn't Arjen have been in Fauske at that time, waiting for his train? His phone pinged on an antenna that also reaches Tussvika. However, his phone did not ping the "Tussvika antenna" otherwise the police would have searched that area before. Therefore, Arjen was not at or near Tussvika on the 20th August, 22:00 hrs.

By the way: local fishermen were surprised that those belongings were found at/near Tussvika, after 3 weeks in the currents of the Fjord (see post #110).
See also as from page 6 of this WS thread.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an interesting image:
page_2.jpg

Forsvarets Operative Hovedkvarter (FOH) - PDF

Before the security centre of Reitan was stationed between Bodo and Fauske (2009), it had been stationed near or at Stavanger.

Yes correct you did posted that before! I did read it but it was kinda overwelming...and technical stuff and me...hahaha
I just tried to understand (right now all the pings..I thought a ping is a ping,but there seemed to be different pings..)

I wonder if the DP took that ,for notification only ,since the investigation is lead by the NP..?!

Last edited:
Update on Beautrophy. The freighter has now arrived in Turkey. Now it is next to another Dutch cargo ship in the same harbor section. The Dutch flag is not the most common flag to sail under and there are currently not many Dutch ships in Turkish ports. It's probably a coincidence that they are right next to each other right now. It might be interesting to know the nationality of the crew at Beautrophy, Dutch or is it Indonesian. I know from when I sailed a little with Greenpeace that Dutch seamen are not a company to be missed, we managed to pour beer to Swedish police and customs officers. A company Arjen has not missed if he has met them.

Attachments

• be_oc.jpg
    be_oc.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Update on Beautrophy. The freighter has now arrived in Turkey. Now it is next to another Dutch cargo ship in the same harbor section. The Dutch flag is not the most common flag to sail under and there are currently not many Dutch ships in Turkish ports. It's probably a coincidence that they are right next to each other right now. It might be interesting to know the nationality of the crew at Beautrophy, the Dutch elller is Indonesian. I know from when I sailed a little with Greenpeace that Dutch seamen are not a company to be missed, we managed to pour beer to Swedish police and customs officers. A company Arjen has not missed if he has met them.
MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

Because by the 6th of September the police had analysed his phone already and therefore they knew his data and his pings.
Despite of that, they did not search at Tussvika. They only started to search there when the stuff was found - one week later!
His last ping of that day was at Fauske - 10 km from Tussvika.

I have tried to explain this on page 24, my post # 467. According to Tarjei Abelsen there is an antenna at Tussvika. Apparently Arjen's phone did not ping on that Tussvika-antenna. Just read step-by-step to understand:
Fauske:
The Nordland Line passes through the municipality, reaching Bodø west of Fauske. Travellers going further north usually leave the train in Fauske, and travel by express bus to Narvik or further, using European route E6 which goes through the center of Fauske. The E6 from Mo i Rana north to Fauske crosses over the Saltfjellet mountains, and the E6 further north to Narvik also goes through very rugged terrain; these are among the most scenic drives in Norway, although there are many tunnels in the Sørfold area. The Norwegian national road Rv 80 to Bodø, about 62 kilometres (39 mi) to the west, departs from E6 in the centre of Fauske.

The Norwegian County Road 830 runs from the town of Fauske to the east to the village of Sulitjelma. The road passes through several tunnels: Grønnlifjell Tunnel, Hårskolten Tunnel, Sjønståfjell Tunnel, and Stokkviknakken Tunnel. The road follows the old Sulitjelma Line railroad.
Fauske - Wikipedia

I dont think he went on a cargo ship,it would suprise me to be honest that the police didnt track that lead by now and ruled it out..

I dont think he went on a cargo ship,it would suprise me to be honest that the police didnt track that lead by now and ruled it out..

IMO, the freight carrier should also interest people who do not operate in "Arjen is alive" scenario. The weather was windy and it rained that evening, and a witness has told that there was a lot of activity around the freight ship, the foremost single place in Rognan, where a larger number of people have been outdoors and who have been in the field of vision (about 500 meters) of Arjen , weather taken into account. (I also saw mentioned in a newspaper that the witness saw him talking to someone, whether there were people around the boatbuilder or people around the freight ship, I do not remember, a post about it later).

Arjen's phone was not at/near Tussvika on the 20th of August, 22:00 hrs.

I understand your reasoning, but i'd like to bring into mind a cell tower does have a huge area to cover. So: even when police would know which exact tower was responsible for the last transmission, the would still not know where to start looking.

After at 11/9 at 19.10 hrs the first finding was reported, further exploration of that specific area sounds logical.

However.. considering the fact that both the bum belt and the kayak wordt both (originally) found drifting in the water, we might see an entire other location for the original start of the kayak.

Cave

Hi Cave!

Welcome to Websleuths!

A mobile signal may not necessarily be picked up by the nearest tower, is that correct?

I understand your reasoning, but i'd like to bring into mind a cell tower does have a huge area to cover. So: even when police would know which exact tower was responsible for the last transmission, the would still not know where to start looking.

After at 11/9 at 19.10 hrs the first finding was reported, further exploration of that specific area sounds logical.

However.. considering the fact that both the bum belt and the kayak wordt both (originally) found drifting in the water, we might see an entire other location for the original start of the kayak.

Cave
Welcome to Ws Cave, thanks for your insight!

IMO, the freight carrier should also interest people who do not operate in "Arjen is alive" scenario. The weather was windy and it rained that evening, and a witness has told that there was a lot of activity around the freight ship, the foremost single place in Rognan, where a larger number of people have been outdoors and who have been in the field of vision (about 500 meters) of Arjen , weather taken into account. (I also saw mentioned in a newspaper that the witness saw him talking to someone, whether there were people around the boatbuilder or people around the freight ship, I do not remember, a post about it later).
Okay well all is confusing about AK disappearance...at the time the coastguard was searching and the post of the cargo ship was mentioned,I also looked at Gratis AIS-volgsysteem van marineverkeer - VesselFinder and wanted to find out if the voyage of the Beautrophy could be tracked to see if it matched the timeline..but it also seems you have to pay for that.
And without knowing for sure if this was the right vessel..(by previous post here) it looked very doubtful to me...

Cave
Welcome Cave,

I understand that they would not know where to start looking. However, it did not ping with the "Tussvika-antenna ". So that tells me / the police that the phone was not at Tussvika.

The phone pinged an antenna somewhere in Fauske that had a radius of 10km that could also reach Tussvika. But apparently there is also an antenna at Tussvika -that was not pinged. Therefore the phone was not at Tussvika. That's why they did not search there at first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members