Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Repair Options Do I Have For My Kayak?
rbbm.
"Although it is unlikely that your kayak will need repair during its lifetime, it is possible that a hull crack or puncture might occur due to extreme impact or contact with a sharp object"
"Polyethylene is recyclable and repairable, unlike many other plastics. Incidents necessitating welding happen to less than one percent of boats"

Aiiii,it a pdf so can not post it here but..well,does not look good :(
Made a screenshot

Assembly
some of the parts just seems to be put together by pressure in a way that if some accident accurs, crash, turns over etc those parts will fall of, like floorboard, parts of the seat, so I asked Oru Folding Kayaks That Go Anywhere | Oru Kayak (they have chat opportunities with sellagents so i pretented I was buyer only..) about loose parts and rocks, copy of answeres below:

The floorboard clicks in very securely to the boat through floorboard handles, and then it is also held down by the seat which clicks into the floorboard. Even if the boat turned upside down, all of those parts would stay together!

As for stones and rocks, we recommend you avoid scraping against sharp rocks when possible, and never drag your boat. It is very durable! But it's not indestructible, so you want to treat it well :)

Last edited:
Yes sorry deleted the screenshot...I just read the instructions and for that reason ,decided to remove the screenshot from my post.

Is it true that an unfolded kajak that the material (that is build with) isnt that strong as a normall kajak ?

I do hope that the manufacturer will be asked to investigate this...maybe we someone has/can find the instructions for better understanding about the damage

It seems that the video posted in this thread,isnt an unfolded kajak?
Folded/origami kayaks i do not know but plastic is the most common material for sea kayaks. Plastic can withstand more and is cheaper than fiberglass or carbon / kevlar.

After reading the safety instructions...well,what can I say?

Hope the seller did talk about this..and from what I read so far here on the thread and chat with someone who knows mainly the fjords in Western Norway..I would not go alone,due to the rapidly changing weather and winds that change directions,currents etc.

But then again,we do not known if the kayak was ever entered in the water

Arjen Kamphuis, a leading Dutch cybersecurity expert, who went missing in the Arctic circle in August.
But if investigators have no clear idea of what happened, the internet has plenty – mainly because on 1 September the whistle-blowing website Wikileaks tweeted to its 5.4 million followers: “@JulianAssange associate and author of ‘Information Security for Journalists’ @ArjenKamphuis has disappeared.”

The anti-secrecy organisation has since published several updates and comments on the investigation, describing Kamphuis’s disappearance as “strange” and highlighting the fact that his phone was activated a long way from where his belongings were found.
http://markcrispinmiller.com/2018/1...mention-of-his-disappearance-in-the-us-press/

The disappearance of Arjen Kamphuis, 46, has so far flummoxed a widening police investigation that has chased stray clues and false leads in Norway, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden. Norwegian police have released statements saying that they have no idea whether he was a victim of foul play, but that they “are open to all possibilities.”
Other spurs to speculation include that Bodo, the town where he was last seen, is home to Norway’s main military air base, that the armed forces’ joint operations center is nearby, and that part of the country’s cyberdefense center is hidden in a mountain outside town. Investigators have ruled out any connection between the military presence and his disappearance.
On Twitter, WikiLeaks described Mr. Kamphuis as an “associate” of Julian Assange, the group’s founder. Mr. Assange has lived for years in the Ecuadorean Embassy in London to avoid arrest and what he fears would be extradition to the United States to face prosecution for publishing government secrets.

But Mr. Kamphuis’s precise relationship with WikiLeaks is unclear. Friends say he is not close to Mr. Assange, but he has reportedly offered training to WikiLeaks members relating to “Information Security for Journalists,” a handbook he co-wrote on how to shield communications and data from government surveillance.
A Security Expert Tied to WikiLeaks Vanishes, and the Internet Is Abuzz

some of the parts just seems to be put together by pressure in a way that if some accident accurs, crash, turns over etc those parts will fall of, like floorboard, parts of the seat, so I asked Oru Folding Kayaks That Go Anywhere | Oru Kayak (they have chat opportunities with sellagents so i pretented I was buyer only..) about loose parts and rocks, copy of answeres below:

The floorboard clicks in very securely to the boat through floorboard handles, and then it is also held down by the seat which clicks into the floorboard. Even if the boat turned upside down, all of those parts would stay together!

As for stones and rocks, we recommend you avoid scraping against sharp rocks when possible, and never drag your boat. It is very durable! But it's not indestructible, so you want to treat it well :)
When looking at AKs kayak the floorboard and seat is missing, and the sellers answere is that this will unlikely happen if the kayaks turns upside down. I understood the seat has been found, where ? when ? but what about the floorboard ? Also, from the oru site it seems like you can put luggage inside the kayak, but then smaller stuff stuck together along the hole kayak, not one big bag, that more likely would have sunk. I belive some more of AKs belongings should have been found if been in the fjord.

Last edited:
Arjen was reported missing on the 29th of August.

While Assange and Snowden and many others have expressed their concern about Arjens disappearance, I haven't been able to find ONE statement by the founders of Pretty Good Knowledge.

Please prove me wrong.

While Assange and Snowden and many others have expressed their concern about Arjens disappearance, I haven't been able to find ONE statement by the founders of Pretty Good Knowledge.

Please prove me wrong.

They reported him missing. How about that?

Did he struggle with his luggage/kayak and wanted to place the seat after he secured his luggage?

Or/If the kayak was pulled on shore..I really hope it was Arjen,so at this moment,it does seem that maybe the place where it was found,could be the place where the kayak was suppose to be -the place-to enter the water,because the kayak was not ready..so kayaking would not be an option for AK<abandon the kayak maybe that is why the NP searched with sniffing dogs there.?

If the kayak was washed on/or close to shore and someone saw it..pulled it on shore..decided to look inside..found the bumpback with ID,some money and...other items (<that were not made public) and threw it back in the fjord,after taken valuable items?

Reading back on the kayak safety instructions & going to Norway..I do hope @Family of Arjen & friends that he bought these/out of the ordinary items and you can check this?

When looking at AKs kayak the floorboard and seat is missing, and the sellers answere is that this will unlikely happen if the kayaks turns upside down. I understood the seat has been found, where ? when ? but what about the floorboard ? Also, from the oru site it seems like you can put luggage inside the kayak, but then smaller stuff stuck together along the hole kayak, not one big bag, that more likely would have sunk. I belive some more of AKs belongings should have been found if been in the fjord.

I think so too.
And I also believe the kayak has been 'mistreated' see Fernseh Kanal on Twitter about the damage he found.

Please prove me wrong.
his colleague Marco Visser in Pretty Good Knowledge is interviewed here: "Colleague about the mysterious disappearance: - Completely sure that Arjen is still alive" Kollega om den mystiske forsvinningen: – Helt sikker på at Arjen fortsatt er i live

Update from @ncilla

Ancilla‏ @ncilla

Time for a #FindArjen update. This week we have spoken extensively to police and they generously took all the time it needed to answer all of our questions. Unfortunately their trails are appearing to be dead ends and we seriously have to consider Arjen might never be found
1f614.png

All options and scenarios are still left open, because none of the known facts seem to match. The found kayak and papers in the North, the phone signal in the South, etc. Many questions still puzzle us...

This week family&friends are taking the time to discuss what options are left for our own investigation. Getting lots of calls from media but we don’t really have new facts to share, besides the fact that we are contemplating and would like some time to process #FindArjen

BBM

Unfortunately, that wraps it up nicely......

I think so too.
And I also believe the kayak has been 'mistreated' see Fernseh Kanal on Twitter about the damage he found.
- On the stern, far end starboard side, 2 buckle straps are missing. Luggage carried strapped on top is usually placed just in front of the paddler, so what causes this damage at the rearmost part ?
- the small punch holes on top of the kayak, would the plastic get holes or more kind of cracks if hitting a rock while floating upside down ?
- ripped off bungee mount and missing buckles could lead to missing zipper channels, but I find it strange wind and waves would rip off these mountings and missing buckles

- On the stern, far end starboard side, 2 buckle straps are missing. Luggage carried strapped on top is usually placed just in front of the paddler, so what causes this damage at the rearmost part ?
- the small punch holes on top of the kayak, would the plastic get holes or more kind of cracks if hitting a rock while floating upside down ?
- ripped off bungee mount and missing buckles could lead to missing zipper channels, but I find it strange wind and waves would rip off these mountings and missing buckles
This should be questioned!

Security and safety! That is what I heard when Arjen spoke at the meeting,where me and some of my colleagues listened too!
I don't believe that he would buy a kayak and that he did a lousy job,making the kayak ready,to risk an accident.It does not add up.
Secure and safety! He is the expert!

I've spent the evening reading consumer reviews about the ORU kayak on Amazon and other items about ORU and damage. Most reviews that I found date from a few years ago and most of them are positive to very positive.

But some things stand out, and the negative reviews are revealing.

The ORU kayak is not suitable at sea for a newbie kayaker.
It is recommended to take a course in flipping over, and other kayaking techniques like how to get in and out, and in again in open water.

It is difficult to get in to, and out, if you are / have a bigger size.
It is uncomfortable for some to sit in for a longer period of time. A softer seat will solve the problem.
It is not always stable according to newbies ~ experienced kayakers know how to handle that.
The zippers are not always watertight. You can store luggage in the ORU but the since compartments are not watertight, you need special bags for your luggage. A floating bag for small items like phones does not come standard with the ORU.

There was one Norwegian guy, an experienced kayaker, who wrote on his blog that beginner might use the ORU on the Norwegian lakes. Now I do not know if in Norway a fjord counts as a lake, but IMHO it does not. So what was Arjen Kamphuis doing with a kayak in Bodø? It is not the most obvious place if you want to go kayaking on lakes.

Damage to polymere kayaks can easily be repaired if you know how, the youtube videos are instructive. If you have the same type of polymer, apply some heat and the two pieces with stick together like one. The process is a little more complicated than that but it does not differ very much from melting chocolate.

Here's an example:

What I noticed is that most kayaks have cracks or scratches as damage on the hull, especially near the keel. Holes or indents are far less common. These holes and indents usually happened on land, for instance when unloading the kayak from the back of the pick-up. Another person hit a wall with the trailer with the kayak on it, if I understood that well.

One exception is the bow. The bow, being the front end of the hull, seems to get damaged easiest in comparison to the rest of the kayak, with scratches, cracks and even holes, but I haven't seen a hole in a bow that wasn't otherwise damaged too.

The hole in the bottom of Arjen's new kayak should be investigated to determine how it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hell Yeah