Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According the police it looks like the cause was a stone under the bottom. The hole is in the deepest part of the bottom.

Have to begin with the support from the Norwegian people (they are so nice,friendly and take the time to offer help,answer questions,give suggestions-who to talk too,share their insight & experiences ) and all read about Arjens disapearence and the first reply that I got was..it is a sad story and all willing to help to find out what could have happend to find answers.

I do think the police are right about the probably cause damage of the kayak <modsnip - source is not LE, MSM, or verified expert>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, and hello @Family of Arjen,

Please forgive me if I missed it, but I am not seeing that Family of Arjen is a verified insider (VI) with Websleuths for this case. Is this correct? The verification process is very important to us to ensure information being shared other than by LE/MSM is from a verified source.

Here is a link to more information. Please initiate the verification process. This will allow all the information posted so far to remain. TIA!

Please forgive me if I missed it, but I am not seeing that Family of Arjen is a verified insider (VI) with Websleuths for this case. Is this correct? The verification process is very important to us to ensure information being shared other than by LE/MSM is from a verified source.

Here is a link to more information. Please initiate the verification process. This will allow all the information posted so far to remain. TIA!
Hello Whiskers16, I'd like to point out that -according to WS rules- the information posted so far is not subject to removal.

Have to begin with the support from the Norwegian people (they are so nice,friendly and take the time to offer help,answer questions,give suggestions-who to talk too,share their insight & experiences ) and all read about Arjens disapearence and the first reply that I got was..it is a sad story and all willing to help to find out what could have happend to find answers.

I do think the police are right about the probably cause damage of the kayak <modsnip - source is not LE, MSM, or verified expert>

I do understand that maybe my explanation about the post and share (yesterday) was not complete.
The person I talked too is local and has a lot of field experiences when it comes down to kayaking.He shared his experiences with the same type of kayak,that is found damaged.
Also I would like to add that he works at the university and Institute of Marine Science.So if I post his website or an interview/ article is it okay then,to quote his reply to my answers,that I asked him? In this case I chatted with a local and the rules that I read isn't very clear (imo)

I do understand that maybe my explanation about the post and share (yesterday) was not complete.
The person I talked too is local and has a lot of field experiences when it comes down to kayaking.He shared his experiences with the same type of kayak,that is found damaged.
Also I would like to add that he works at the university and Institute of Marine Science.So if I post his website or an interview/ article is it okay then,to quote his reply to my answers,that I asked him? In this case I chatted with a local and the rules that I read isn't very clear (imo)
Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.
All you need to do is change the words a bit and add it into your own words,so you wont get reported or get flagged! ;)

Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.
All you need to do is change the words a bit and add it into your own words,so you wont get reported or get flagged! ;)
Thanks! Have to admit that it has been a while since I read the rules about social media but should have kept myself updated and remembered.

Okay then...last weekend I chatted with a local Norwegian person about the damage and the state Arjens kayak was found.
This person has the same kayak and used it for several years.He is a passioned about kayaking and has spectulair pictures that he makes during his trips while kayaking.
He works at the University and also the Institute of Marine Science. They used a lot of his photos on their newest research vessel named after Fridtjof Nansen, who was one of the first people to use kayaks in his Fram Expedition.
Another Norwegian local suggested to contact him,because he knows everything about kayaks...so I did!
It was interesting what he had to say about the oru coast xl
He said that the damage,the hole and the cuts could have idd been caused if the kayak was not properly made ready and therefor filled with water,drifts and is washed ashore it may get holes and dissasemble due to the weight of the water inside the kayak when it drifts to land.
The kayak is much more prone to cuts (because of the double layer plastic sheet) than a normal kayak , since it is a light travel kayak.
He added that the area where the kayak is found both currents, winds and shifting weather and not a good place for beginners.
(Lorrie did posted this already)

So imo and conclusion is that the damage was caused by this..have also seen pictures of garbage (glass,other sharp objects...that could be also the cause of damage,cuts etc that the kayak was exposed too)

So I do think he knows what he is talking about.I have to state that I never went kayaking myself or know very much about kayaks

Here are a reportage from hiking tourists that were in Rognan and Fauske in august 2018. Notice all the stones that have fallen from the mountains down on the old road, has this route (the old route that goes around the tunnels) been checked ? I know i have asked before, but did not get any answere. Dag 105 – E6 til Fauske Also notice this observation:
At Setesåhøgda we had lunch on the old road. When we sat there a car came, the road is closed for cars so we found that a bit odd. The guy in the car was also a bit surprised, but he parked and walked a bit in the opposite direction of us. After a while he came back and drove off without a single word. We thought this was fishy, and think the guy has not a clear conscience

Thanks! Have to admit that it has been a while since I read the rules about social media but should have kept myself updated and remembered.

Okay then...last weekend I chatted with a local Norwegian person about the damage and the state Arjens kayak was found.
This person has the same kayak and used it for several years.He is a passioned about kayaking and has spectulair pictures that he makes during his trips while kayaking.
He works at the University and also the Institute of Marine Science. They used a lot of his photos on their newest research vessel named after Fridtjof Nansen, who was one of the first people to use kayaks in his Fram Expedition.
Another Norwegian local suggested to contact him,because he knows everything about kayaks...so I did!
He said that the damage,the hole and the cuts could have idd been caused if the kayak was not properly made ready and therefor filled with water,drifts and is washed ashore it may get holes and dissasemble due to the weight of the water inside the kayak when it drifts to land.
The kayak is much more prone to cuts (because of the double layer plastic sheet) than a normal kayak , since it is a light travel kayak.
He added that the area where the kayak is found both currents, winds and shifting weather and not a good place for beginners.

So imo and conclusion is that the damage was caused by this..have also seen pictures of garbage (glass,other sharp objects...that could be also the cause of damage,cuts etc that the kayak was exposed too)

So I do think he knows what he is talking about.I have to state that I never went kayaking myself or know very much about kayaks
could the holes have been made in an attempt to make the kayak sink ? What about the mounting brackets ? How would weather tear of the rubber bands at the very back, as they have no weight ?

We asked the police if it is possible that Arjen had taken the night train to Trondheim at 20-8 (or perhaps the daytrain at 21-08) and then a ship to Stavanger. The night train leaves Fauske at 22.00 o’clock.The police didn’t look to this scenario. They didn’t recieve a spontaneous reaction from train conducters from this train. Because he travelled 30-8 from Stavanger to the east this option is an explonation for his itinery. Does anyone know who was the conductor of this train?
He or his phone ?

could the holes have been made in an attempt to make the kayak sink ? What about the mounting brackets ? How would weather tear of the rubber bands at the very back, as they have no weight ?
I dont know,my mainly questions were about the hole in the buttom,the cuts and what the police said what they think the cause of the hole was.
I can share those enlarged pictures,if I have permission to do so,by the person who posted and enlarged it.
But imo,
I do think the police gave a reasonable explanation to the hole,at least.

As for your other post...Arjen did not have a drivence licence

Hello Whiskers16, I'd like to point out that -according to WS rules- the information posted so far is not subject to removal.
Hi Chiatos,

From the rules here:

If you are a "professional" or "case insider", but would prefer not to be verified, please understand that you will be required to follow the general rules for posting, and back up your statements with links to appropriate sources.

Here are a reportage from hiking tourists that were in Rognan and Fauske in august 2018. Notice all the stones that have fallen from the mountains down on the old road, has this route (the old route that goes around the tunnels) been checked ? I know i have asked before, but did not get any answere. Dag 105 – E6 til Fauske Also notice this observation:
At Setesåhøgda we had lunch on the old road. When we sat there a car came, the road is closed for cars so we found that a bit odd. The guy in the car was also a bit surprised, but he parked and walked a bit in the opposite direction of us. After a while he came back and drove off without a single word. We thought this was fishy, and think the guy has not a clear conscience
Thank you for finding the description of this hike.
I'd like to add this map to go with the reportage Kjenesnakken - Setsåhøgda - Kvenfloget - Fauske. (If the map has been posted before, well here it is again)
GodTur.no - Planlegg tur

If Arjen went to Rognan by train, perhaps he planned to walk back to Fauske? As a last hike? But then, would he have been carrying his kayak all the way?
Would have been easier to leave it at the station in Fauske?

Do you mean that he used an origami kayak in this expedition to the North Pole?@*?!
Or did they use "normal" kayaks in this expedition and he is also familiar with the ORU?
Nansen's Fram Expedition: Bold North Pole Exploration in the 1890s

I dont know,my mainly questions were about the hole in the buttom,the cuts and what the police said what they think the cause of the hole was.
I can share those enlarged pictures,if I have permission to do so,by the person who posted and enlarged it.
But imo,
I do think the police gave a reasonable explanation to the hole,at least.

As for your other post...Arjen did not have a drivence licence
i know, thats why i wanted to clear if he has been seen after the train left from Rognan to Fauske, if not he or and his phone travelled with somebody in a car. Ive seen enlarged pics of kayak @ google pics. Anyways, is it so that all investigation is focused in the north ? I mean, last sign of him was south of Stvager. Been any search in the area ?

Do you mean that he used an origami kayak in this expedition to the North Pole?@*?!
Or did they use "normal" kayaks in this expedition and he is also familiar with the ORU?
Nansen's Fram Expedition: Bold North Pole Exploration in the 1890s
no it doesn't say Nansen used origami kayak .the guy knows kayak in general and also origami by his explanations, and obviously Nansen did not back in the days. The point with the kayak is to rule out wether it seems to be an accident or a staged act, looking like an accident.

Last edited:
He has a Oru coat XL for several years and he knows a lot about kayaks so I was told
Here is the article that mentions the expedition..(that I thought is worth a mention)
Meet the locals: An interview with Tomasz Furmanek
Some reviews from customers that have bought an Oru kayak points out weakness in the structure as pictured with AKs kayak: "The one major issue is "Durability". I cannot comment on the boat itself, however, the parts, are just very simple, basic plastic. I used only one time for 3 hours in water, plus 2 practices to assemble in home, one of the SEAM Channel is broken. The replacement need $30. Also, all 4 of sticks all lose and ready to full off." these are missing in AKs kayak also. Another review: "Could you imaging when we opened the boat and saw lots of black spot, marks, unfit zipper and a broken handler. " - also with AKs kayak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member