Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
nos.nl 14 september 18:38
(Google translate is why I do not yet believe that autonomous cars are necessarily a good thing)

"Kamphuis also reported in the Danish town of Esbjerg in early September, reports the police."
This is the first time I've seen Esbjerg mentioned by the police (Esbjerg is close to Ribe)

"Another scenario is that of the self-chosen disappearance. It is striking, for example, that Arjen Kamphuis said to his environment that he was going on vacation to Spitsbergen, but according to the Norwegian police there has never been."

"A day later, his environment also made a formal declaration of loss. This makes it possible for the police to search Kamphuis's home and to search for DNA traces in his home. Whether or not that happened, the police do not want to say Amsterdam. "We make use of all the opportunities that are available in missing cases," says a spokesperson."

It's strange, I have not heard yet if he also bought a Personal Flotation Device (Life jacket ) with the Kayak, as it is a requirement in many countries and he seems like a reasonable person, not a Daredevil...
it may have been with him, but not on him. I agree that most of the time you are required to take life jackets with you, but in the country there is often time nobody to force you to wear them or even bring them with you. I think an intelligent person would have one with them, but they don't always wear them. I live in the US and in our city park we are required to have the life jackets in our boat if we rent kayaks, but they tell us we don't really have to wear them. I always do, though, since I'm not a great swimmer. I don't know about the people who bring their own kayaks. I couldn't imagine someone electing not to take a life jacket to sea.

So many unanswered questions and some have likely known but undisclosed answers...for example, was the phone turned on again after Aug 10 sim switch? what was he doing all that time in Bodo? What was the floating object they found in the fjord and what besides ID was in it? Surely if he was carrying that large kayak with paddles on his back people would have noticed him on the train along the fjord if he took that train.

So many unanswered questions and some have likely known but undisclosed answers...for example, was the phone turned on again after Aug 10 sim switch? what was he doing all that time in Bodo? What was the floating object they found in the fjord and what besides ID was in it? Surely if he was carrying that large kayak with paddles on his back people would have noticed him on the train along the fjord if he took that train.
Welcome to Ws Zoe1234!

In Norway it is required to use life jacket or personal flotation device when the boat etc. is under 8 meter active used in the water.
All articles cite his friends with statements like this:
"Other friends said Kamphuis was no daredevil. “If he’s heading into dangerous territory, he always seeks out company,” Helma de Boer told NRC Handelsblad. “And he always has good equipment. His motto is: ‘better safe than sorry’.”

I do not really believe in the accident theory, his character, he has probably had the necessary equipment and the weather looks ok during that period (it is probably less windy, deep in the fjord, though, the mountains may cause turbulence) A criminal relationship with the case sounds more likely, but I hope (just like everyone else does) for the "voluntary disappearance".

Wheater Bodø 20 august

Last edited:

Hi Zoe1234, welcome to WS!

The kayak is foldable and would have been in a bag. Only if you recognized the bag, you would know that there was a kayak in it. It was said that Arjen Kamphuis had two big, dark bags with him when he left the hotel.The kayak would have been in one of the bags, together with other items.

Phone has not been turned on since.

43fccb9f-52d1-4882-b885-e3e20af91355

Hi Zoe1234, welcome to WS!

The kayak is foldable and would have been in a bag. Only if you recognized the bag, you would know that there was a kayak in it. It was said that Arjen Kamphuis had two big, dark bags with him when he left the hotel.The kayak would have been in one of the bags, together with other items.

Phone has not been turned on since.

43fccb9f-52d1-4882-b885-e3e20af91355
Thanks. I saw a picture above in a dark bag and the paddles were visible but yes it could have been inside yet another bag and also I thought I read that the police would not say anything further about the phone use. Perhaps I am not up to date.

Only if you recognized the bag, you would know that there was a kayak in it. It was said that Arjen Kamphuis had two big, dark bags with him when he left the hotel.

I think he is kind of person who buys a bag that fits kayak, the same brand and made for that kayakmodel. I have not been able to find it in black. So there may be 2 black bags (or the witness remembers the color incorrectly, its "darkish") and a kayak backpack. Perhaps he has kept the kayak somewhere else, not at the hotel, Perhaps he has had a helper who has been driving to Fauske with the kayak. But it is badly in harmony with the police's strong presumption that he has taken a certain departure with the train. :)

5996_zpsf2m47nrh.jpg

Last edited:
I think he is kind of person who buys a bag that fits kayak, the same brand and made for that kayakmodel. I have not been able to find it in black. So there may be 2 black bags (or the witness remembers the color incorrectly, its "darkish") and a kayak backpack. Perhaps he has kept the kayak somewhere else, not at the hotel, Perhaps he has had a helper who has been driving to Fauske with the kayak. But it is badly in harmony with the police's strong presumption that he has taken a certain departure with the train. :)

I understood he had two big dark bags. I suppose those bags had wheels, or at least one of them.

from an earlier post:

The police assume that the missing person brought the collapsible kayak to Norway. Arjen Kamphuis may have had this in a dark bag when transporting the folding kayak. Upon check-out from the hotel in Bodø on August 20, Kamphuis had two big dark bags. The weight of the folding kayak is 15 kilos, says Walla.

BBM

I understood he had two big dark bags.
Based on the available information, you are right. I'm just guessing, If you use € 2595 on a kayak, I think most would spend € 175 on a bag that is made for the exact kayak model, unless you drive by car, Arjen does not have a driver's license :)

I suppose those bags had wheels, or at least one of them.
I also think it's likely that it's the suitcase on its "pinned" twitter image, he brought to Norway

Last edited:
All articles cite his friends with statements like this:
"Other friends said Kamphuis was no daredevil. “If he’s heading into dangerous territory, he always seeks out company,” Helma de Boer told NRC Handelsblad. “And he always has good equipment. His motto is: ‘better safe than sorry’.”

I do not really believe in the accident theory, his character, he has probably had the necessary equipment and the weather looks ok during that period (it is probably less windy, deep in the fjord, though, the mountains may cause turbulence) A criminal relationship with the case sounds more likely, but I hope (just like everyone else does) for the "voluntary disappearance".

Wheater Bodø 20 august
I am hoping for the deliberate disappearance theory to be correct too (not suicide though). My hope is based on his telling people he was going to a different location - Spitsbergen and yet he spent a long time in Bodo or at least had hotel (s) there booked for a long time.

I am hoping for the deliberate disappearance theory to be correct too (not suicide though).
It's hard to believe that someone would expose family and friends to such an unpleasant event unless he tries to stop World War III, he may also be hired by NATO on the basis of a concrete security threat, the coming sea cable "midgardormen" is surrounded with much secretion, he may have found and eaten psilocybin mushrooms on the mountain ect. When the tweet came September 1, I made a crazy Assange scenario of available information (for use in the QANON roleplay, and I'm really ashamed now that I used it in that context) to keep up the hope and not believe the worst.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe that someone would expose family and friends to such an unpleasant event unless he tries to stop World War III, he may also be hired by NATO on the basis of a concrete security threat, the coming sea cable "midgardormen" is surrounded with much secretion, he may have found and eaten psylosibin mushrooms on the mountain ect. When the tweet came September 1, I made a crazy Assange scenario of available information (for use in the QANON roleplay, and I'm really ashamed now that I used it in that context) to keep up the hope and not believe the worst.

I think an accident is the most likely solution. A genuine accident, the kind that could have happened to anyone. The Wikileaks connection is overrated, I get the impression that Arjen's disappearance is being used for a political goal and to help force a solution for the situation of Julian Assange who has to leave the embassy. See what happens with associates of Wikileaks.....!

I hope he is found soon and that his phone is found with him. Else we will be stuck with conspiracy theories about the phone that pinged a thousand miles away for years to come.

That said, I also wonder what happened to the other big dark bag that he was carrying. One bag became the kayak, but IMHO the other bag would not have fitted into the hull. Plus there would be the matter of the weight. So what happened to the other big dark bag?

This case makes me sad.

I still believe, that given my experiences in Norway, this was a hiking or kayak accident. I loved my experiences in Norway. Of all the overseas ports and towns Norway was one of best experiences. The people always wanted to talk to me about America and I or any of my party never experienced any crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WomanKeepGoneAstray