Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear me, the fake news spread by Trouw and specifically the desk reporter is that the tent was found near were the kayak was found. A tent was not found where the kayak was found.

The tent was found in the Bodø area, it had been there for about three weeks ~ while AK had been staying in hotels ~ and the tent did not belong to Arjen Kamphuis.

At that time, it was not known that Arjen had a foldable kayak with him, it was thought he might have gotten into trouble while hiking, and the search concentrated on a missing hiker.

https://www.hartvannederland.nl/nie...-vindt-tent-in-zoektocht-naar-arjen-kamphuis/

Norwegian police finds tent in search for Arjen Kamphuis

Also this Thursday, the disappearance of the Dutchman Arjen Kamphuis is still big news in Norway. The police found a tent in the area where Arjen might possibly be.

Reporter Joya de Boer is in the Norwegian city of Bodø and tells that the newspapers are full of anxious reports. On Thursday morning the Norwegian police informed Hart van Nederland that they had found an orange tent with equipment in it and that tent would have been there for about three weeks. Walkers who have been in the area are called upon to report.

Dutchman Louis Kramer lives in Bodø and knows the area well. He has little faith in a good outcome. "I think he had an accident on his way to a summit," he says. "Because of the rain it is slippery and he may have fallen down."

If Arjen got lost or had a fall, making contact with the outside world is very difficult. "You have no coverage here for your mobile phone," Kramer explains. Moreover, it is an incredibly large area.

BBM

In the video it is said that Arjen Kamphuis habitually switches his phone off, so it is impossible to locate him. Norwegians would always take a well charged phone with them as a precaution.

Meanwhile, I can't find any mention that Arjen Kamphuis would be in possession of an orange tent, or any tent for that matter.

I think this sentence creates the confusion (Without considering whether the event in Vikeså has been verified) If his phone signaled for the last time on August 20th, it does not work with the Vikeså signal on August 30th was the last. (He had two phones and maybe it´s; one is pinging in Vikeså and the other pinging in Rognan/Fauske)

"Het laatste signaal van zijn telefoon is die dag opgevangen op de plek waar we deze week spullen van hem hebben gevonden.''
The Dutch sentence "Het laatste signaal van zijn telefoon is die dag opgevangen op de plek waar we deze week spullen van hem hebben gevonden.'' can be interpreted in two ways (colloquial writing style if you ask me):
- The last signal from his phone was detected on that day (So, no more signals after that day = 20 August)
- The last signal of that day was detected in the area where his belongings were found

Unfortunately, this sentence depends on context for a correct interpretation. The context is found at the end of the article, where the detection at Vikesa is being described as reliable by police.

<3

I also thought about the tent where they found foreign books and the like, but it was so far back in time, so I thought there had to be a new tent they wrote about. But I have not read the article in Trouw yet. Yes loads af "fake news" in this case.

The Dutch sentence "Het laatste signaal van zijn telefoon is die dag opgevangen op de plek waar we deze week spullen van hem hebben gevonden.'' can be interpreted in two ways (colloquial writing style if you ask me):
- The last signal from his phone was detected on that day (So, no more signals after that day = 20 August)
- The last signal of that day was detected in the area where his belongings were found

Unfortunately, this sentence depends on context for a correct interpretation. The context is found at the end of the article, where the detection at Vikesa is being described as reliable by police.

Thank you. That is what I thought it meant. So now what we think we know is that the phone pinged in Nordland that day Aug. 20 and again on Aug 30 further south. We do not yet know if there were any pings between Nordland and Vikesa in the days between because police have not clarified that (though it appears no pings were on the Trondheim train since police seem certain he did not take that train)? We know a phone belonging to him was "turned on" for 20 minutes in Vikesa. Spending so many resources in the fjord though suggests that police suspect that he will be found there and the phone traveled to Vikesa by means other than Arjan Kamphuis. Very sad if true.

The tent was found in Lofoten islands in a county called Vågan - you have to take boat or coastal express out from Bodø for several hours and is a place most tourists go to when they are staying in Bodø. Perfect for hiking and paddling and surch activities, and lots of tourists. This article: https://www.lofotposten.no/rorvika/...med-kostbart-utstyr-onsker-tips/s/5-29-412781 mention AK, NOT because it is believed to be his tent but because he is the only person missing in this police district NOW. I guess the journalist have seen it and thought it could be his since he is mentioned in the article.

Since the police is thight-lipped, and usually the norwegian police is I guess it is up to journalists to speculate. No norwegian newspaper have mention the ping close where the kayak was found, beside vg.no who have translated the article ZaZara mentioned from Allgemein Dagblad. Since the police themself is not doing the search but The Coast Guard does I would think the police still research other possibilities, while the search happen.

Last edited:
Can you explain what you mean?

The AD says that the sightings at Vikesa have not yet been confirmed. However, a phone signal had been detected on the 30th of August:
Maar we weten nog niet of die (die=the sightings) betrouwbaar zijn. Wel dat daar, in Vikeså, laat op de avond van 30 augustus ook een signaal is opgevangen van een Duitse sim-kaart die volgens ons (= police) van Kamphuis is. Die telefoon heeft twintig minuten tot een uur aangestaan. Daarna is nooit meer een signaal van het toestel vernomen.

According to the AD, the pings near Vikesa are reliable.

In todays interview, Bjarte Walla is a little more cautious, the answer is that they think the phone pinged near Vikeså belonged to Kamphuis (August 30).
The last signal from the phone on the day AK disappeared (August 20) was in the area where the kayak was found. It isn't said if this was a ping, or that he sent or read a message.

I underlined the two relevant replies:

Interview with chief investigator Bjarte Walla

What do you think has happened to Arjen Kamphuis?

"We have three hypotheses so far. The first is that he may have had an accident in which he died or is still alive but needs help. The second is that he wants to remain hidden himself. The third is that he is a victim of a criminal offence. We have reason to believe that Arjen took the train to Rognan the afternoon after he checked out from Bodø. We don't know if he arrived there. Yes, he may have gotten off at an intermediate station. The last signal from his phone was received that day in the area where we found his belongings this week."

Last Tuesday evening a fisherman saw these items floating in the seawater of the fjord, near the Kvænflågettunnel between Bodø and Rognan. A few hundred meters away from the fjord the same evening the police found the folding kayak that Kamphuis had bought just before his departure to Norway in the vicinity of Amsterdam.

What kind of items are these? Also his passport, as a Norwegian TV station reported?

"In the interest of the investigation I can't say that. We did announce the news about the kayak, because it is a large and heavy object - it weighs 15 kilos. We hoped that people might have seen him carry it with him. Unfortunately that didn't result in any tips.''

There are tips from witnesses who claim to have seen Kamphuis ten days later in the vicinity of Stavanger.

"That is true. But we do not yet know if they are reliable. Well that there, in Vikeså, late in the evening of August 30, a signal was also received from a German sim card that we think is from Kamphuis. That phone has been switched on for twenty minutes to an hour. After that we never heard a signal from the phone again. In total, we received about eighty tips, including from people who claim to have seen him in Denmark. We check every tip.''

What did Kamphuis do in Bodø before he disappeared off the radar?

"We know he spent ten days in the area, within a radius of seventy to eighty kilometres. He slept in the city. We assume that he made trips and enjoyed the beautiful nature."

Alone or with others? Bodø is a place where tourists pass by on their way to the Lofoten or the far north, not a holiday resort. However, your largest cyber defence centre in Norway is housed on a mountain just outside the city. Has Kamphuis been there? Has he met people who are attached to it?

"We do not have any information to indicate this. But the surroundings here are also great for hikes. There is nothing unnatural about staying here longer.''

What do you think, with all your experience? Is the most likely scenario that Kamphuis deliberately erased his traces? He knew better than anyone how that can be done.

"Gut feeling should not play a role, we should stick to the facts and avoid tunnel vision. For the time being, we don't have enough evidence for one of the three scenarios, so we'll keep all options open.''

How will the investigation proceed?

"In the next few days we will be assisted by the coastguard. They have equipment that allows us to search a larger area. Also under water. What exactly are we looking for? For every trace."

BBM

On the day that Arjen Kamphuis disappeared, the last signal of his phone came from the area where his belongings and his kayak were found this week.

The later pings near Vikeså are unconfirmed.

It is confusing the article from Trouw (Do they mean a tent or a bivaktent ?)
I looked it up when I read the article because was not sure what they ment by it
But AK had two days to spare,before getting on the plane
Seems off that he wanted to spend the night under the stars because it has mentioned before the ground was too rocky
But still ariving at the end of the day,a few hours before it was getting dark

And also a lot is not known so we truly do not know what is fake news or not ATT

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-09-15-17-52-30.jpeg
    Screenshot_2018-09-15-17-52-30.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 7
The tent was found in Lofoten islands in a county called Vågan - you have to take boat or coastal express out from Bodø for several hours and is a place most tourists go to when they are staying in Bodø. Perfect for hiking and paddling and surch activities, and lots of tourists. This article: https://www.lofotposten.no/rorvika/...med-kostbart-utstyr-onsker-tips/s/5-29-412781 mention AK, NOT because it is believed to be his tent but because he is the only person missing in this police district NOW. I guess the journalist have seen it and thought it could be his since he is mentioned in the article.

Since the police is thight-lipped, and usually the norwegian police is I guess it is up to journalists to speculate. No norwegian newspaper have mention the ping close where the kayak was found, beside vg.no who have translated the article ZaZara mentioned from Allgemein Dagblad. Since the police themself is not doing the search but The Coast Guard does I would think the police still research other possibilities, while the search happen.

I thought it was quite spectacular what he said, those details were not known to the public before. And it was a direct quote.

Meanwhile, I am not surprised about Arjen Kamphuis' use of his phone during his holidays. Why wouldn't he if he felt like it or needed to? He had two simcards, one personal, the other for work. He may have wanted to send a message to his family, a picture or simply check the train's timetable.
The idea that he wanted to be totally off grid or even disappear is one of those stories that is spun around him IMHO. It may have been true at times. It does not follow that it was the case this time or all of the time.

I dont think the police would go out with this information yet if it was true... And police have shown a picture of the kayak in the police garage. Perhaps the police themself had to reassemble the kayak to transport it ? And floating around in the fjords for a couple of weeks who knows what have happened?

Last edited:
According to
Arjen Kamphuis has talked about using a faraday cage if you do not want the phone to send signal during battery change and the like.

I have no technical knowledge about phones.
Me neither..about technical knowlegde about phones but I do know that rooting an android system is not that hard
Last year my sons tablet was stolen and he had it very well secured (so I thought)with a pincode and a difficult sweepcode & installed trackings app
At that time it was stolen the tablet was turned off
We installed a trackingdevice by gmail (before stolen) and after days of searching with logging into the google account,we saw an ipadress and that it was rooted (erased)
I asked my nephew (who really likes technical stuff....its all he does & lives for,actually! )
And all he wanted to know is about the exact dots in the right place between the numbers of that ip adress
With that ipadres you can search the location (tablet was stolen between Munchen-Koln,ice night train)
It seems it can be rooted when that device makes connection with the internet and when you as rightfull owner are searching by that installed app "find my device" around that time you can track
Made a screenshot and went to the police because it according to "find my device" was rooted in Amsterdam a day later then stolen
The technical police could use it but sadly it was rooted by using a general wifi internetconnection nearby a flat

Also you can report it to the police but because it was stolen in Germany it is hard to get it on the stolen list in the Netherlands with serial number etc

Samsung said (when report stolen was made by me) it was almost impossible to get into the system when you secure it with pin and sweepcodes but according to my nephew is all you need is a laptop orso a program and internet

I guess that most of us (at least I was) are very naive if it comes down to secure your personal life/data on the internet...

Last edited:
Tarjei Abelsen on Twitter

Tarjei Abelsen @TAbelsen

Coast guard ship KV Heimdal searching for @ArjenKamphuis in Skjerstadfjorden, Nordland Norway. @kystvakten #arjenkamphuis

DnNIifdXsAAnsOl.jpg:large

BBM

Dear me, the fake news spread by Trouw and specifically the desk reporter is that the tent was found near were the kayak was found. A tent was not found where the kayak was found.

The tent was found in the Bodø area, it had been there for about three weeks ~ while AK had been staying in hotels ~ and the tent did not belong to Arjen Kamphuis.

At that time, it was not known that Arjen had a foldable kayak with him, it was thought he might have gotten into trouble while hiking, and the search concentrated on a missing hiker.

There are more post by MSM about the mention of a tent,here is one from panorama september 12,2018 (one day earlier then the article of Trouw)
Spullen Arjen Kamphuis gevonden
Metro news reports also about a tent that probably has been there for 3 weeks
September 6,2018
"At that moment is not known if the orange tent of Kamphuis is or not."
Vermissing Kamphuis: Dit is wat we weten
Hart van Nederland article https://www.hartvannederland.nl/nie...-vindt-tent-in-zoektocht-naar-arjen-kamphuis/
"The police informed us that the tent found was probably not from Arjen. They are still busy with tracing his Phone."

-So Arjen Kamphuis went in the beginning of August to Norway (the tent has been there for 3 weeks ,according to some news items)

- The police received a report from a fisherman who had seen things floating in the sea near the Kvænflåget mountain in the north of Norway,also around that time other items were found.

Could it be that Arjen set up the tent,if he had plans to stay & enjoy in Nature. Leaving some survival items behind in that tent and took his personal items with him when he wanted to hike or kayaking,like ID,mobile, laptop etc etc"

The police want tips after a tent of content has been found abandoned on Rørvikstranda in Vågan. The tent should have been on the beach for about three weeks before it was retrieved by the police in Svolvær Wednesday.
"We have not received any tips on the matter. There is not much else we can do than to hope that someone who has information about who owns the tent or has seen something is contacting, tells
police chief of the Svolvær police station, Ketil Finstad-Steira, adding that all information in the case is desirable.
- If anyone has observed whether there is a male or female, or if there has been more than one person in the tent, we would like to know it.Inside the orange tent was found a inflatable mattress of the branded Exped, climbing equipment, a book by American writer Tom Wolfe, a large kitchen, a folding solar panel, wet wipes and sunglasses."

As described before by friends,he hiked before and bought a kayak He was known for not taking risks or being a dare devil,very technical with a lot of knowledge for devices…

Want to add that the items found inside that tent seems very interesting to me
A book by Tom Wolfe Tom Wolfe - Wikipedia (seems to me common grounds with the work that AK is known for)
A folding solar panel for charging and the inflatable mattress brand Expad has several sellingpoints in NL
I do not rule out the tent...just yet!
Does anyone knows if some one came forward to claim these items or the tent itself?

Want to add that the items found inside that tent seems very interesting to me
A book by Tom Wolfe Tom Wolfe - Wikipedia (seems to me common grounds with the work that AK is known for)
A folding solar panel for charging and the inflatable mattress brand Expad has several sellingpoints in NL
I do not rule out the tent...just yet!
Does anyone knows if some one came forward to claim these items or the tent itself?
The orange tent had been ruled out, but I don't remember why that was. Perhaps because Arjen had been staying at hotels?
The thing is, that when the news of the orange tent came out, there was no reaction from his dear ones (for what we know from news): Oh, but he didn't bring a tent along.
But of course, this is no guarantee that he did carry a tent to Norway.

As for the the tent "near by the spot where the kayak was found": I assumed that they were referring to another tent, not to the first orange tent.
But if Trouw has been mixing up some news, then we must just wait and see how things will go.

As for the book: Its title is The Right Stuff
9780312427566.jpg

The are 2 bottles lying next to the unfolded orange tent:
- FIRE, with a red dragon. This looks like some kind of alcoholic drink.
- And another bottle. I can't read what it is.

It was also climbing equipment in the tent found in Vågan and the mountains in Vågan is quite known for mountain climbing. Most of the mountains in Vågan is not for beginners and they also have a centre for climbing so I guess the police have contacted the people there to find the owner of the tent.

If you are not used to climb mountains and not very darevil or very stupid you would find much more suitable places to start with.... Especially if you dont participate in a class the centre gives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member