Norway Norway - Arjen Kamphuis, 47, Dutch citizen, Bodø, 20 Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I belive the conductor and the "3 x Rognan" witness is correct, and he must have travelled back with car since the phone pinged in Fauske area at 22h. He has not been alone, and then had most probably a reason to go there.

As much,I would like to see a Sign of Life,from Arjen or a good outcome or update...!

I can only say..this,that I was rather shocked,a few days ago...about the fact,that -
"These will provide US military forces - nuclear submarines, ships, aircraft and drones - a closed and secured broadband connection in all areas north of the Arctic Circle."

I do think that this part of the information is added/updated on August,20
(This case has changed since first publication. In the section in which the government's bill is mentioned, we have stated that the proposal states that the satellites will be used by allied and international commercial actors, although it does not mention the specific cooperation with the US Department of Defense. In addition, we have stated that the Storting has decided to provide a guarantee of NOK 1 billion, provided that good deals are negotiated - this is contrary to the fact that the Storting has already spent a billion dollars on the project as it was in the original version.)

This all,.. sure is raising red flags ..and concerns (for me)
Really do NOT like the way is heading.

21st of October 2018 at. 7:15 p.m.
Parliament again about satellites
Defense Minister Frank Bakke-Jensen must again answer the Storting on military satellite cooperation for the northern regions between Norway and the United States. Stortingsrepresentant Torgeir Knag Fylkesnes from SV requires the defense minister to respond in writing in the event of a conflict between the United States and another country at the risk of the Norwegian satellites and base stations being brought into conflict.

NRK revealed this summer that the Storting approved the satellite project without the Storting knowing the defense ministry's talks with the Pentagon over two years.

A planned base station must be in Tromsø.
Stortinget igjen om satellitter
(GT)
I have looked things up. Apparently they want to expand the already existing station at Tromsø.
Tromsø already has a satellite station, owned by KSAT:
The Tromsø Satellite Station was established in 1967, and the HQ of KSAT is located in Tromsø. Tromsø is the capital of northern Norway, and is situated north of the Arctic Circle.
The main activity at the Tromsø Station is data reception from Earth Observation satellites, data processing, distribution and archiving. Operational near real-time data analysis for oil spill detection and ship detection services are also performed here. Tromsø Network Operations Centre (TNOC) is located at the Tromsø site. TNOC performs remote control of the KSAT ground stations and is the customer point of contact for our global ground station network 24/7 365 days a year.

Tromsø Satellite Station - Kongsberg Gruppen

The Tromsø station is connected to the Troll station in Antarctica, also owned by KSAT:
Troll Satellite Station - Wikipedia

It turns out that Spitsberg has its own satellite station. The two stations mentioned above are also connected to Svalbard Satellite station, also owned by KSAT:
Svalbard Satellite Station (SvalSat) was established in 1996 and is today the world’s largest commercial ground station with more than 31 state-of-the-art multi-mission and customer dedicated antenna systems in C-, L-, S-, X-, and ka-band.
SvalSat, located at 78°N (1200 km south of the North Pole) on Spitsbergen, is recognized as the most optimally located ground station in the world for satellite control. The extreme northern location on the Svalbard archipelago, gives SvalSat its unique and favourable position.

SvalSat-pict.ashx

This was supposed to be Arjens playground
Svabard Satellite Station (SvalSat) - Kongsberg Gruppen

Where is Arjen???!!?

I have looked things up. Apparently they want to expand the already existing station at Tromsø.
Tromsø already has a satellite station, owned by KSAT:
The Tromsø Satellite Station was established in 1967, and the HQ of KSAT is located in Tromsø. Tromsø is the capital of northern Norway, and is situated north of the Arctic Circle.
The main activity at the Tromsø Station is data reception from Earth Observation satellites, data processing, distribution and archiving. Operational near real-time data analysis for oil spill detection and ship detection services are also performed here. Tromsø Network Operations Centre (TNOC) is located at the Tromsø site. TNOC performs remote control of the KSAT ground stations and is the customer point of contact for our global ground station network 24/7 365 days a year.

Tromsø Satellite Station - Kongsberg Gruppen

The Tromsø station is connected to the Troll station in Antarctica, also owned by KSAT:
Troll Satellite Station - Wikipedia

It turns out that Spitsberg has its own satellite station. The two stations mentioned above are also connected to Svalbard Satellite station, also owned by KSAT:
Svalbard Satellite Station (SvalSat) was established in 1996 and is today the world’s largest commercial ground station with more than 31 state-of-the-art multi-mission and customer dedicated antenna systems in C-, L-, S-, X-, and ka-band.
SvalSat, located at 78°N (1200 km south of the North Pole) on Spitsbergen, is recognized as the most optimally located ground station in the world for satellite control. The extreme northern location on the Svalbard archipelago, gives SvalSat its unique and favourable position.

SvalSat-pict.ashx

This was supposed to be Arjens playground
Svabard Satellite Station (SvalSat) - Kongsberg Gruppen

Where is Arjen???!!?

Wow! That is a different kind of reading,then I did...the last few days..with me, it was more...Ieekkk!! & wth is going on ??

So thank you for the information post.

I really think now,that he made plans in order to do so..>check out the satellites,first in Spitsbergen and then cancelled it,and switched his destination to Bodø for some reason,unknown..??

Wonder,if he really stayed in Bodø area,after he checked in,...the hotels?!
Guess,no one ever made a map ? with all the satellites (of his interest) maybe public transport and Bodø ..?
Not that I know of,anyway..only, what was found..or pinged,so far.

In search of Arjen Kamphuis

Nearly two months have passed, and Arjen Kamphuis can not be found. But we now know a little more about it. Outstanding character, surrounded by friends who are just as much, this Dutch living in Amsterdam is a computer expert network security. Until August 20, he worked and traveled a lot, leading two very busy occupations: he was both head of a big data start-up called "PGK" (Pretty Good Knowledge), and a campaigner for Free Internet, engaged in the fight against the mass surveillance exercised by the States and the giants of the Net.

From fetishism to politics

Passionate about the life of the media, he oriented his activism towards journalists, and his mission was to convince them to better protect themselves against surveillance - state or private - by securing their computers and their phones and by encrypting their connections and their records.

Arjen Kamphuis is taking part in training sessions on "infosec" (information security) for journalists, particularly in countries where freedom of the press is being abused. On his Twitter account, he published, on May 1, a photo of him typing on a computer in war reporter outfit, with helmet, bulletproof vest and dark glasses. At his feet, a suitcase stamped with two inscriptions: "Apparatus monitored by the NSA [National Agency for American Security]" and "I am with WikiLeaks."

He does not specify where he is, but wrote this comment: "When the bits meet the bullets: information security for journalists operating in high-risk environments. Data leaks can have consequences for people working in war zones. Very proud to help some of the bravest people to be a little safer. "

Before WikiLeaks, his disappearance was announced on Twitter, August 31, by one of his relatives, Linde van de Leest, 32, who calls herself Ancilla ("maid", in Latin): "My best friend has missing in Bodo, Norway. His friends, colleagues and family are very, very worried. Please, share. Immediately, his call is widely resumed on social networks.

Questioned by Le Monde, Ancilla is an intimate Arjen Kamphuis - "We often go on vacation together, and I am the only one with a double of his keys" - but it is important to minimize the links of it with WikiLeaks: "They have been exaggerated by the media. Like many people in the free software movement and hackers, Arjen met Assange before he became famous. Subsequently, he invited him to events in the Netherlands, he went to visit him in London, at the Embassy of Ecuador, and gave ad hoc services to WikiLeaks for the safety of his journalists, but nothing more. She says other common friends have all made the same observation.

"I could not imagine a scenario in which he would have deleted the Signal application"
Jos Weijers, Hack42 hacker club manager
On the other hand, WikiLeaks has doubts about the nature of its "association" with Arjen Kamphuis. The British Joseph Farrell, who has long been one of the main collaborators of Julian Assange and remains close to him, says with a smile: "We do not deliver information about our members and associates, but someone can very well work for WikiLeaks without his entourage being aware. This has been my case for a long time. "

For Ancilla, this disappearance is an absolute mystery, whose chronology, a thousand times resumed, continues to intrigue. In July, when he announces that he will go on holiday alone in Spitsbergen, the island of the far north of Norway, his relatives are not surprised, because Arjen Kamphuis is a nature and hiking enthusiast. Before his departure, he buys, without warning, a foldable kayak (2,000 euros), which he takes with him to Norway, while he never practiced this sport. According to Ancilla, he seemed happy: "He had a lot of plans for the start, professional and private. As a single mother, he wanted to help me take care of my 9 month old baby - whose middle name is Arjen. "

Hackers Club

On August 7, she sends him a text on Signal, a coded email much used by geeks, to wish him a happy holiday. He thanks her in three words. Then, more news: "On the 9th, I send him a new message, but he is refused. An alert was displayed: "This number is not registered." As if Signal had been uninstalled from his phone. "

The following days, she tries again five times, without success. On the 16th, she is contacted by another friend, Jos Weijers. He also found that Arjen Kamphuis no longer appears on Signal: "It was incomprehensible, he testifies. I could not imagine a scenario in which he would have deleted the application. That day, the young woman replies to Jos with a joke: "Maybe he was eaten by a polar bear? RIP. "

Jos Weijers, a big and tough forty-year-old living in Arnhem, in the east of the Netherlands, is also an original figure. During the day, he works as a computer scientist for an electricity company, responsible for server security. In the evenings and on the weekends, he is responsible for Hack42, a hackerspace set up in the woods, in a former convent first converted into an administrative office of the army and now decommissioned: "It belongs still in the army, he explains, we are just renting two floors. "

Hack42, which has fifty members and receives many visitors, offers various equipment: computer rooms, electronics workshops, metalwork, locksmithing and carpentry, a photo studio, 3D printers, laser cutters ... " Arjen loved this place, says Jos, he came eight or ten times a year, while it is 100 kilometers from home. Sometimes, he stayed several days. Recently, they had worked together on an ambitious project: "We wanted to buy back the old Arnhem prison and turn it into a hackerspace and a residence for alternative and artistic projects. It did not work, it's a shame, the symbol would have been strong. "

Outstanding characters

The absence of Arjen Kamphuis is also noticed at PGK, the start-up he co-founded, in a modern and comfortable building in the suburbs of Amsterdam. While he was due to return from vacation on August 23, he did not reappear, missing several appointments during the week, which surprised his colleagues because he has a reputation for being reliable.

Among his partners in PGK, there are two other extraordinary characters, Americans: Bill Binney, mathematician, and Kirk Wiebe, linguist, both former employees of the NSA. Having discovered that it was setting up highly intrusive mass surveillance systems aimed at the entire world, they decided in 2001 to resign in protest and then to alert the media and public opinion. This initiative earned them years of judicial and police harassment, but now these concerns seem far away.

Arjen Kamphuis met Bill Binney at Oxford University in 2014 at a conference organized by whistleblower associations from intelligence agencies in various countries. At the time, Kamphuis lived in Germany with an Englishwoman, Annie Machon, a former employee of the British MI5 intelligence service. In 1997, she resigned and publicly denounced several clandestine operations of MI5, one of which, according to her, was intended to assassinate Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

Having sympathized at conferences, Arjen, Bill the mathematician and Kirk the linguist together create PGK, an "ethical data mining" start-up, with the help of a Dutch businessman and a long-time friend date, Maurice Verheesen. Thanks to a system developed by the two Americans, as a continuation of their work at the NSA, PGK offers companies and administrations the opportunity to exploit the personal data of their clients, while respecting the privacy and anonymity of their clients. these latter. Business is progressing and now Bill and Kirk spend a month on two in the Netherlands.

Secret destination

August 30, the disappearance of Arjen Kamphuis becomes frankly disturbing. While he is expected the next day in England for a gathering of hackers, he still gives no sign of life. His friends then warn the Dutch police, who contact his Norwegian counterpart.

For her part, Ancilla conducts her own investigation: "I called the hotels in Spitsbergen," says the young woman. Some did not want to inform me, to protect the privacy of their customers, I can not blame them. Finally, one of them told me that Arjen made a reservation in July, but canceled it. "

By consulting his account on the booking site Booking.com, the police and his friends discover that he has never been to Spitsbergen, but between August 10 and 20 he stayed in two hotels in the city. from Bodo, a destination he had not mentioned to anyone. Bodo, 50,000 inhabitants, is a modern industrial port in the North, where tourists rarely spend more than a day or two. Arjen Kamphuis also bought a plane ticket back to Amsterdam on August 22 from Trondheim, 700 kilometers south of Bodo. He did not take this plane, and there is no indication that he had set foot in Trondheim.

In early September, another of his friends, wishing to remain anonymous, goes to Bodo to investigate and distribute posters, to alert the inhabitants. It is confirmed that the Dutch left his hotel on August 20, with his luggage and kayak, weighing nearly 15 kilos, in a bag. On the other hand, nobody remembers seeing it elsewhere in the city.

At first, the Norwegian police privileged the track of the accident of excursion. On September 11, a fisherman sailing in the Skjerstad Fjord, a narrow and deep stretch of sea stretching 80 kilometers east of Bodo, finds a bag containing the deceased's passport, his bank card and the money. The same day, we discover the famous kayak, placed on the ground, on a bank of the fjord, then its paddle. However, his luggage was not found, and no reservation to his name was taken in a hotel or a campsite nearby.

"No satisfactory explanation"

The local media are surprised, because the waters of the fjord are agitated and dangerous: nobody here would venture to confront them aboard a boat as frail. In addition, at that time, the weather was already very bad. Police and coast guards crisscross the fjord and the surrounding mountains, to no avail. Two Dutch policemen arrive in reinforcement.

Meanwhile, investigations reveal that on 20 August, the day of his disappearance, Arjen Kamphuis took the train to the town of Rognan, located at the end of the Skjerstad fjord, about 85 kilometers from Bodo. The controller remembers this Dutch passenger whose bulky baggage encumbered the corridor. In addition, his phone bounded in the area the same day.

"His presence in Fauske can not be a coincidence. That said, I do not have a satisfactory explanation, "
Ancilla.

His friends, who have trouble believing in the thesis of the accident, open another path, more mysterious. They note that the kayak was found near the town of Fauske, facing a peninsula mountainous to say the least, since it houses a Norwegian station interception of satellite signals and detection of electronic signatures issued by aircraft and ships. This station, which belongs to the Norwegian intelligence services and may work for NATO, is not clandestine - the three white domes containing the interception devices are visible from a distance - but the discretion is there the exact nature of its activities.

On the same shore of the fjord, at Reitan, between Bodo and Fauske, is another strategic facility, hidden in an underground gallery: the combined arms headquarters of the Norwegian armed forces, including a cyber defense center.

For Jos Weijers, the passage of Arjen Kamphuis in this sector owes nothing to chance: "These sites represent everything that fascinates him. At a minimum, he had to stop and take a picture of the domes, to illustrate his lectures on electronic surveillance. Ancilla is equally categorical: "Her presence in Fauske can not be a coincidence. That said, I do not have a satisfactory explanation. "

High speed phone

Another disturbing clue uncovered by relatives of the disappeared: they obtained photos of the kayak, taken by the police, and showed them to the seller, in Amsterdam. However, this one is formal: the boat was badly assembled, important parts are missing, it could not navigate properly in the state. Jos Weijers is convinced that he was not paddled by Arjen Kamphuis: "He is clever of his hands and meticulous, he would never have done such a sloppy job. "

On September 20th, the fieldwork was abandoned but, in the meantime, a new track appeared. We discover late that on August 30, ten days after the disappearance of the forties, his phone connected to three relays, between the cities of Vikesa and Ualand, in southern Norway, that is to say to say 1,600 kilometers from Bodo.

The phone was traveling at high speed - it may have been on a train. Once turned on, the device has loaded SMS messages and messages on hold. Then, after 20 minutes, a German SIM card is inserted - this model can hold two cards. Then he disappeared again.

For the entourage of Arjen Kamphuis, this track of the phone is the most promising, because they are all geeks, more comfortable on computer networks than in wild fjords.

Ancilla points out that, to receive SMS, a phone must be unlocked with the PIN - a reason to hope that, on August 30, his friend was in southern Norway, and not at the bottom of the fjord where the kayak was found.

More cautious, Jos Weijers simply regrets that the police refuse to communicate the technical data of the phone, while they could be very useful to seasoned hackers: "Hack42 is known in the middle, he says, we have good contacts across Europe. If we had the number of the German SIM card, or the identification code of the device, we could perhaps locate it. But we are not told anything, we do not even know if he had one or more phones. "

He is also troubled by the release of the SIM card: "If the owner was a simple thief, how could he activate without the secret codes? Arjen's machines are very well protected, that's his job. And if the phone was in the hands of an expert able to force him, why would he have been spotted as a beginner? "

"Wacky Theory"

The survey even spread to Denmark, close to the region of Norway where the phone was spotted. Following calls to witness broadcast on television channels, two people came forward, claiming that they had seen Arjen Kamphuis in Denmark. The first is a Dutch tourist visiting Ribe, a small town on the west coast of the Danish peninsula. Ancilla studied her testimony: "She says she has seen him twice in two days. According to her, he was sitting outside, under a canvas awning, with an iPhone 6 and a solar charger that she described precisely - we found the model. "

Immediately, Ancilla posted a search notice on Facebook, in the form of paid advertising targeting the region of Ribe: "The next day, I was contacted by a man living in Esbjerg, 30 kilometers from Ribe. I called him, he is sure to have crossed Arjen with two men. They spoke in German and Dutch. That being said, it is impossible to evaluate the reliability of these testimonies: Arjen Kamphuis is blond, of Nordic type and of average height, a banal report in this part of the world.

At this point, nobody can imagine why he organized a clandestine trip, on his own or to escape danger. His colleagues Kirk Wiebe, former NSA and Maurice Verheesen, the computer friend, refuse to admit that his disappearance is related to the activities of PGK: "It would not make sense, our company works with the light, with very classic commercial customers. "

On the other hand, his relatives are less likely to talk about Arjen Kamphuis' other activity: computer security training courses for journalists and NGO activists. Referring to the photo published by Kamphuis himself on Twitter, Maurice Verheesen said that he sometimes carried out "secret missions in dangerous countries", then added that he can not talk about it, for fear of putting people in danger. danger. On reflection, he imagines a single scenario: "If it has been removed, it can only be by people who would like to know more about the international community of hackers and independent experts in computer security. But this theory is far-fetched. "

"Cryptoparty"

For his part, Jos Weijers understands that Arjen Kamphuis had been to Indonesia several times: "The last time was in April, I forgot which island. He was sent there by the Reuters news agency, which wanted to train his local correspondents, to teach them how to escape the electronic surveillance of the authorities. I do not know more, for obvious reasons. These sessions are secret, we will not announce them in the media or tell them on Twitter. "

Mr. Weijers traveled with Arjen Kamphuis to Tirana, Albania, in May. Both were invited to a conference on Free Software and Freedom of Expression on the Net, organized by a local association called "Oscal". On the site of the latter, it is stated that Kamphuis should have returned to Tirana, October 20, to participate in a "cryptoparty" - a festive event during which hackers explain to the general public how to secure a PC and a phone, encrypt a message, anonymize browsing on the Net ...

In early October, the Dutch police agreed to meet with Ancilla to make a full assessment of the investigation: "Unfortunately, all their tracks are cul-de-sac, says the young woman. We must seriously consider that Arjen is never found. "

Nevertheless, she refuses to despair: "All scenarios are still possible, because the known facts are contradictory (...), many questions always intrigue us. Abandoned and helpless, Arjen Kamphuis' friends and colleagues have resumed their lives, hoping for a miracle.

( I left some parts of the article & GT out (because it is already posted here,a lot of times..but if you want the read the whole article>> https://seenthis.net/tag/person:kır )

Last edited:
Overview:

Arjen announces (and made a reservation) that he will go on holiday in Spitsbergen,but canceled it.
• So on August,7 Arjen is still using the app Signal >> Home and 2 days later,it was unistalled/deleted /disconnected/logged
out?
• He booked at least 2 hotels in Bodø.
• I have no MSM sources about Arjens Phone records,during his Bodø stay...and believe me..I searched for it! (so I rule that
out,unless someone proves me otherwise??) No one in Bodø remembered seeing him,could be due to the festivals/high season.
• The train conductor seems a valid witness and his pinged phone matches that ,the Dutch tourist who visted Ribe,has seen
him twice,the other witness from Esbjerg saw him with two others seems also credible..imo
• Arjens fascination with satellites and the cyber defense center is named, over and over again, by his friends and media.

(I also find it strange, that the police did not give the technical data of the phones to his friends,maybe this is still under investigation?? Hope that they asked what the reason is for that)

@worldwatcher: your long text is the translated Le Monde text? Tnx.

As I was reading the article, I expected to find a description of the reactions by the foreigners who are / have been close to Arjen: Bill, Kirk and Annie.
But no, Le Monde has only described them, their expertise, their background, not their concern and/or worries about Arjen's disappearance. How come?

Since Le Monde has introduced Annie Machon as the ex-girl friend of Arjen; apparently they have lived together for 7 years.
And Annie speaks regularly on Russia Today, in favour of the Russians in the whole "Russia-gate" thing.

What are the comments of whistle-blowers and ex-spy Bill, Kirk and Annie about Arjen's disappearance? Do they perhaps know where is?

Today there's an update on Arjen in the AD. Well, not really an update since it doesn't mention anything new:
Cookies op AD.nl | AD.nl

Quite concerning that issue about Signal having been removed from Arjen's phone (Le Monde). As early as August 9th!
Could mean two things: Arjen was planning to go into hiding or a third party is involved.

@worldwatcher: your long text is the translated Le Monde text? Tnx.

As I was reading the article, I expected to find a description of the reactions by the foreigners who are / have been close to Arjen: Bill, Kirk and Annie.
But no, Le Monde has only described them, their expertise, their background, not their concern and/or worries about Arjen's disappearance. How come?

Since Le Monde has introduced Annie Machon as the ex-girl friend of Arjen; apparently they have lived together for 7 years.
And Annie speaks regularly on Russia Today, in favour of the Russians in the whole "Russia-gate" thing.

What are the comments of whistle-blowers and ex-spy Bill, Kirk and Annie about Arjen's disappearance? Do they perhaps know where is?
Yes,it is the article from A la recherche d’Arjen Kamphuis, le hackeur évanoui dans la nature,the one that Zazara wanted to read (to be honest,am suprised,she didnt respond to it,yet)

Have no idea about the other wistle blowers,Bill,Kirk and Annie.. <stilte voor de storm?>
And after the whole "blow up" on that forum/twitter...well,really have no idea,who is what..and for what reason.

Never heard back from @Cave if Rognan/Fauske station was checked propably for Arjens luggage,that he could leave secured with the NSB staff.
Guess he took it with him,otherwise the police would have been notified

Last edited:
Noorwegen beperkt zoekactie naar Arjen Kamphuis
Google Translate
More than a hundred tips have been received from the Norwegian authorities, but they have become less and less in recent weeks.
NWR%20Noorwegen%20vermissing%20Arjen%20Kamphuis%20-%20KAART_0.jpg
Arjen was last seen in the north of Norway, on August 20 at Bodø. Some 50 kilometers away, his belongings were found on 12 September. His telephone made contact with a radio tower in the south on 30 August.

Is it possible AK purchased the kayak - knowing in advance he wanted to go “underground”? Set the scene for an accident? The phone making contact on 8/30 sure has me wondering. Anyone else?

Also I wonder why his luggage has not been found. It wouldn’t fit on the kayak. Just day dreaming that AK is safe and enjoying life.

Is it possible AK purchased the kayak - knowing in advance he wanted to go “underground”? Set the scene for an accident? The phone making contact on 8/30 sure has me wondering. Anyone else?
Could be..did read,a while ago..and if I remember correctly..that it wasnt the first time,that he went to Norway.He did travel alone and it seems to me that you read information about where you want to kayak..the place where it is found..seems more like a means of transport,then enjoy Nature and kayaking,the weather wasnt that good anyway.
On the same shore of the fjord, at Reitan, between Bodo and Fauske, is another strategic facility, hidden in an underground gallery: the combined arms headquarters of the Norwegian armed forces, including a cyber defense cent
Could be that his passion for this, ruled over safety...but if that is the case..there is no explanation of the badly assembled kayak,that he isnt known for,according to the media quotes by friends..

Certain things point in that direction, but I wonder how one can keep on living in hiding for months. On what would one live? One could not access their bank savings, could not get a regular job, etc. Arjen would have to change identity in order to be able to earn something to eat.

Unless some institution is paying for his food, drink, housing?

Last edited:
Yes,it is the article from A la recherche d’Arjen Kamphuis, le hackeur évanoui dans la nature,the one that Zazara wanted to read (to be honest,am suprised,she didnt respond to it,yet)

Have no idea about the other wistle blowers,Bill,Kirk and Annie.. <stilte voor de storm?>
And after the whole "blow up" on that forum/twitter...well,really have no idea,who is what..and for what reason.

Never heard back from @Cave if Rognan/Fauske station was checked propably for Arjens luggage,that he could leave secured with the NSB staff.
Guess he took it with him,otherwise the police would have been notified

I did read it, @worldwatcher, thanks for posting. It took some time to let it all sink in and I have a head full of cold & a sore throat too.

I'm still a bit lost for words after reading the interview. It is obvious that his friends care about Arjen, but they are no go-getters. They seems so helpless, and overly dependent on mobile phones and internet data. The name for this is learned helplessness, meaning in this case that you define a problem in such a way that it becomes unsolvable. You should never let such experts run a team or a search operation.

If they are practical, which IMHO they are not, they would urge the family to start a procedure for obtaining the phone data so that hackers may do their work. Of course the Norwegian Police will not give these data to a bunch of hackers, they are bound by law and that is how it should be. But the family may stand a better chance.

I believe I have mentioned searches with dogs before ... I will do it again. No need for phone data or CCTV images that are no longer available, there still are the good old dogs that can trace a lot of trails, like in the old days.

A good example of how friends conduct a search can be found here:

ttps://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/uk-susan-mclean-61-u-s-tourist-aberfeldy-scotland-17-may-2015.280396/

Both @hippy hippy (a local) and @Lumberjill ( a friend who came over) did fantastic work there, and actually found the remains of Susan.

Arjen's case is possibly more complex than the disappearance and suicide of Susan McLean, but even if the case is complex, one can work by excluding options one by one.

I agree with Zazara: one should work by excluding etc.

Why didn't police search with cadaver dogs? Is it because Arjen's phone pinged so far away? Why didn't police make use of any dog at all (in Rognan), since Norwegian police assumes that Arjen had gone to Rognan? Why haven't the friends / family members of Arjen called in the signi dogs? Why hasn't a lawyer been called in to obtain research data? Why haven't we heard from certain soul mates of Arjen? So many questions.

Yesterday also the Telegraaf published an update. The last line is quite interesting:

BY ILAN SLUIS - The investigation into the disappeared Arjen Kamphuis focuses mainly on the smartphone of the cybersecurity specialist. That says the Norwegian police. The research team has now been scaled down.

It is still a mystery how the Samsung smartphone from Kamphuis went in the vicinity of Vikeså, 1700 kilometers south of where Kamphuis was last seen. "Despite weeks of research, we can not yet draw any conclusions from this specific track, says police chief Bjarte Walla. "Not even whether it was Kamphuis or someone else who turned on the phone and put in a German SIM card." Kamphuis's phone did a short period of time, ten days after his disappearance.

Since cyber and privacy expert Kamphuis disappeared on August 20, more than a hundred tips have been received by the police, although the current tips have shrunk considerably over the past few weeks. According to the police, most of the tips from witnesses came to view Kamphuis. The tips came from the surroundings of Bodø and Rognan, the area where Kamphuis stayed, the rest of Norway and even abroad. "But none of these observations can be considered as certain," says Walla.

Kamphuis left his hotel in Bodø on 20 August. The police are convinced that in the evening he was still in the eighty kilometers away Rognan. "We draw that conclusion from a combination of witness statements and the discovery of objects that we assume to be Kamphuis", says Walla. "Especially a folding kayak, a paddle and other personal items."

According to Walla, in spite of putting the research on a lower level, the research team remains sufficiently obliging. "We will continually consider how much manpower and resources we have to put into it," he says.

The police so far have no idea what Kamphuis could have happened to. Since the disappearance, the research team has assumed three scenarios for the missing of the 46-year-old Kamphuis. Account is taken of an accident, a crime and the possibility that he deliberately hides.

Spokesman for family and friends Ancilla van de Leest has not yet responded to the latest announcement by the police.
Team afgeschaald, maar verdwijning nog even raadselachtig

I do not agree with all that has been said.I think it is easier said then done.
It is fair enough to say, that we (well I..) do not know what I would do if someone close to me went missing.
I guess we mostly depend on the police investigation and the detection methods,they use and waiting for the outcome...
Remember that Arjen is an adult and with that comes a barrier.
It must been a rollercoaster for his family and friends..not knowing where it ends or begins...

Friends did go to Bodø and tried to gain information by asking around..searching,calling,setting up #findarjen and more.., that maybe, didn't make the media...?
Have to add that I do think family,close friends and the police know more details, then has been published online.

No one knew,at that time, he travelled by train to Rognan,so at that point,there was propably no thought for search dogs.
I am not sure, when it was known that he took the train...but I do believe it was after they found the kayak..?

And the dogs has been brought up so many times here (sigh) but we don't know for sure what kind of dogs the NP used.
Have not seen any established statement about these dogs,only that the Red Cross and NP did use them and tried to track his where abouts.
No one checked that,as far as I know...just posting & questioning here, is no reliable source!

And for " overly dependent on mobile phones and internet data",it is the only sign of life,(after the foundings of the kayak,paddle and bumpbag) with an open end,so this is still ongoing…. That would be my target too (track the phones) ,if I had the information & knowledge to do so..

@worldwatcher: Have not seen any established statement about these dogs,only that the Red Cross and NP did use them and tried to track his where abouts.

Here Red Cross personnel has been mentioned: The police did throughout yesterday evening (11sep) conduct a search in the area with assistance from local Red Cross rescue personnel as well as a rescue vessel from the Norwegian Society for Sea Rescue. Does this include dogs?
Funn av eiendeler tilhørende Arjen Kamphuis

In this case (Oct 28), the police have searched for a missing woman, with dogs of the Red Cross.
Politiet i Nordland on Twitter

Anyhow, if they want to exclude Arjens death in/near the fjord, regardless whether due to an accident or a crime, then I think that cadaver dogs should have been called in. The same way that the police searched for Kim Wall. She was missing too you know and she was an adult as well. No one could have imagined what had happened to her .... until they found traces and her body parts.

I suspect that the far ping on August 30th has influenced the decision NOT to undertake any searches with cadaver dogs.
If Arjen is the one who pinged near Vikesa; fine.
But if someone else has pinged using his phone to create a decoy; not fine.

I hope Arjen will pop up after Trident Juncture will be completed .....

Perplexing. How was his state of mind and mental health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serge