Norway Norway - Oslo, WhtFem 20-30, Fake Name, shot in hotel room, Jun'95

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she was mentally ill, and just wanted to kill herself. I think she also most certainly altered her physical appearance which might explain why she hasn't been recognized. Her hair looks like its dyed. She may have had blonde, red or brown hair and wore it much longer right up until the last two weeks of her life. So any missing persons photo of her would show a very different person. Also if she was German, then she would have only been reported as missing in Germany. I think Lois Fergate was as fictional as her Belgian background.

I have been lurking this thread here for a while now and because of the possible German connection I also keep an eye on the German forum,who has her posted under "Die Plaza Frau."
And just like here,there are also suggestions that she could be from Belgium or Switzerland origin.

Ok, a possible match. Heigh & weight are off, but for me, she is quite close to the facial reconstruction :
The Doe Network: Case File 2001DFDEU

And the circumstances about an abusive ex wanting to isolate her by the so-called vacation is too close to ignore IMO

I have found on several occasions that the DOE network is not a reliable source when it comes to cases in Europe.

Google the name of Karin Junghänel, there are no other MSM sources (except for a living person of the same name) and the links on the page of the DOE network are expired.

Practically speaking: KJ would have disappeared from Düsseldorf, which is nowhere near the coast.
Also, take into consideration the difference in procedures in Europe: Both Germany and Norway are members of INTERPOL and they would exchange data about missing and unidentified persons. There are enough data available (dental records, fingerprints) to exclude KJ.

If we know the data that LE knows, you can bet that LE knows a lot more and has done a lot of work already.

I have been searching in the INTERPOL database, and Karin Junghänel is not there.

Thank you for the tip.

Will try with a Google search, although my German is near 0.

Interpol is an international organization, so not specific to Europe: World / Member countries / Internet / Home - INTERPOL

I know that European polices exchange info, but keep in mind that even nowadays, the missing person exchange data between countries is not very efficient. I remember about the case of Kim Wall, when even Scandinavian countries struggle to exchange their database each other.

The fact that she is not in Interpol database for missing persons doesn't rule her out from being missing.
Only in France, we have plenty of long term missing people who are not in Interpol database for missing persons, ex the French young man Emmanuel Bonissant, missing since 1996 Suspendus à un fils - Libération
(sorry, article in French. Libération is a French national newspaper).
Oddly enough, Emmanuel Bonissant is not included in Interpol database for missing persons. But he still has an active MP file.
Not to hijack the thread, just to give you a compelling example of why Interpol database absence is not enough for ruling out.

The expired links on DN page is not enough for ruling out that she is still missing.
Keep in mind that record-keeping and technology in the '90s was not what it is now.
Usually, archiving dates back from 1995-1996, if we are lucky.

I strongly believe it really needs deeper digging to get the last word of the story for this possible match.

Thank you for the tip.

Will try with a Google search, although my German is near 0.

Interpol is an international organization, so not specific to Europe: World / Member countries / Internet / Home - INTERPOL

I know that European polices exchange info, but keep in mind that even nowadays, the missing person exchange data between countries is not very efficient. I remember about the case of Kim Wall, when even Scandinavian countries struggle to exchange their database each other.

The fact that she is not in Interpol database for missing persons doesn't rule her out from being missing.
Only in France, we have plenty of long term missing people who are not in Interpol database for missing persons, ex the French young man Emmanuel Bonissant, missing since 1996 Suspendus à un fils - Libération
(sorry, article in French. Libération is a French national newspaper).
Oddly enough, Emmanuel Bonissant is not included in Interpol database for missing persons. But he still has an active MP file.
Not to hijack the thread, just to give you a compelling example of why Interpol database absence is not enough for ruling out.

The expired links on DN page is not enough for ruling out that she is still missing.
Keep in mind that record-keeping and technology in the '90s was not what it is now.
Usually, archiving dates back from 1995-1996, if we are lucky.

I strongly believe it really needs deeper digging to get the last word of the story for this possible match.

I have been very active on the Kim Wall thread and I do not recall problems between Sweden and Denmark that prevented the search or the trial.

Karin Junghänel disappeared near Düsseldorf, Germany, in 1991 after a traumatic incident. In 1992, there is a possible sighting of her, in Krefeld, wich is next to Düsseldorf.

The victim died in a hotel room in Oslo, Norway in 1995, almost four years after the disappearance of KJ in Düsseldorf.

Even with the means available in 1995, dental records alone would have been enough to identify or exclude Karin Junghänel.

You wrote in an eralier post that

And the circumstances about an abusive ex wanting to isolate her by the so-called vacation is too close to ignore IMO

BBM

Euhm ... no. The DOE network mentions It is assumed that her partner wanted to separate with her to revive an old relationship again. The friend allegedly wanted to break up with her, and the vacation would originally have been planned with a former girlfriend. The DOE network does not mention that the friend, from Austria, was abusive.

If INTERPOL is not the source for the DOE-network, what would their sources be? The links on the webpage lead to a genereal search page for the first link and a page that is not or no longer there on the second.
General searches for Karin Junghänel lead to an active sixty something woman from the area who also plays tennis.

Ok, my research returned only cases after 2000.

I have not found a single case in German police publications about missing persons before 2002.

Same in MSM :-/

Could be that she was from the DDR and that missing persons were not registrated (att) like the rest of Europe.Living in the DDR, around that time, could not been compaired to the rest of the Western World.

Stasi:
Ministry for State Security (MfS), better known as 'Stasi' (East German security service that operated from 1950 to 1989: the Stasi) It was seen as the most effective secret service in the world.
The Stasi is formed according to the idea of the Russian secret service: the NKVD (forerunner of the KGB).
After the Fall of the Wall, 1 out of 5 residents of the DDR appears to have worked together with the Stasi. Ten thousand of them are younger than eighteen.
In 1989, when an angry mob stormed the Stasi Offices, many citizens found out that their relatives and colleagues reported regularly to the Stasi.
However, many reports are fragmented. Since 2008 the German police have been inventing a sophisticated device that has to put together the 16,000 bags of paper shreds,but in Januari 2018,the Stasi archive temporarily stopped with the reconstruction of destroyed files from the East German secret service,due to the lack of good scanners.
According to Amnesty International,2.75 million people have requested for their file> Lessons from the Stasi-A warning for mass surveillance.

The Plaza Hotel is now known as Radisson Blu Plaza,has no balcony and has 37 floors.(feel free to correct me,when wrong)

Here is a German page that has also a lot of missing persons listed:- Portal

General searches for Karin Junghänel lead to an active sixty something woman from the area who also plays tennis.

Did you see photos of this woman to compare to the photos in the DOE Network entry?

ETA: found the woman you were referring to and compared the photos with the missing KJ but I'm not able to tell if they are the same person. The age and region matches, as you say, but surely there will be quite a few women with that name. Maybe someone can contact the Doe Network and send them a link? Maybe they can check if it's her.

Last edited:
Did you see photos of this woman to compare to the photos in the DOE Network entry?

ETA: found the woman you were referring to and compared the photos with the missing KJ but I'm not able to tell if they are the same person. The age and region matches, as you say, but surely there will be quite a few women with that name. Maybe someone can contact the Doe Network and send them a link? Maybe they can check if it's her.

I saw pictures of her, just google her name and you'll find her. I don't think it is wise to post anything about here here, because she is obviously neither a suspect nor a missing person, if ever she was, and based on the TOS we are not supposed to sleuth unrelated persons.

IMHO it is better to compare the pictures from the DOE network with the sketch of the victim and the main characteristic that JUMPS to sight is the remarkable chin of the woman. KJ does not have such a chin at all.

I have no idea what happened to KJ after she disappeared in 1991 from Düsseldorf or if she returned, but there is no reason to suppose that she is the person in the hotel room in 1995 in Norway. Apart from the less promint chin, KJ had grey eyes, was 10 cm taller and would have been near 40 (38!) in 1995. She had a slight lisp - no witness mentions this. She also had a scar on her foot.

This is the artist impression of the victim:

Harald_Nyga__rd_Plaza_1.jpg

and this is KJ, 4 years earlier:

2001DFDEU.jpg

IMHO she would have needed surgery on her eyelids to achieve the same look. No such surgery is mentioned.

So, I need a better eye training.

Back to the drawing board then !

Except that in 1991, DDR was already reunified Western Germany German reunification - Wikipedia
Correct! Thought maybe some side effects/bad blood was set during the time or shortly after the wall,and if this a could be the reason for using a fake name?

About one of the few personal items that were found is the expensive watch.I did google last night and lead me to a forum: watchuseek.
There is a request made by someone,who is also trying to find out when and where it was sold.

Last edited:
I actually think she looks Russian, even if she grew up in Denmark or Germany, and was involved in organized crime or working undercover. If you guys solve this? You're good!

@Blurgle Even the tags from a leather jacket? I think most would consider that unusual. I can relate it a tag touches your skin, and is irritating. I think it's more in the context of her room being pretty much wiped clean.

I'm guessing leaving the German label was intentional. I mean,there's a dead woman in the room. Why care about ruining the liner in her blazer? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CosDog