NV - Andreas Probst, 64, Police Chief (Ret), Cyclist killed by intentional hit & run, Las Vegas, 14 Aug ‘23 *arrest*

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Police are pleading for information about a passenger who filmed a sickening video of his friend mowing down a retired police chief as he cycled down a Las Vegas highway.

The 17-year-old driver was charged with murder after allegedly fatally ploughing his 2016 Hyundai Elantra into Andreas Probst, 64, in the northwest of the city on August 14.

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it is still 'actively working to identify the passenger in the car.'

The department did not immediately respond to requests for information about the 17-year-old driver, who they previously said was not being named due to his age despite being charged with murder.
Probst, 64, was was fatally struck on August 14 while cycling in northwest Las Vegas,

Newly emerged video shows he was intentionally killed by the teenage driver

Probst, 64, was was fatally struck on August 14 while cycling in northwest Las Vegas. Newly emerged video shows he was intentionally killed by the teenage driver

Attachments

• 1695031301021.jpeg
    1695031301021.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 6
Police are pleading for information about a passenger who filmed a sickening video of his friend mowing down a retired police chief as he cycled down a Las Vegas highway.

The 17-year-old driver was charged with murder after allegedly fatally ploughing his 2016 Hyundai Elantra into Andreas Probst, 64, in the northwest of the city on August 14.

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it is still 'actively working to identify the passenger in the car.'

The department did not immediately respond to requests for information about the 17-year-old driver, who they previously said was not being named due to his age despite being charged with murder.
Probst, 64, was was fatally struck on August 14 while cycling in northwest Las Vegas,

Newly emerged video shows he was intentionally killed by the teenage driver

Probst, 64, was was fatally struck on August 14 while cycling in northwest Las Vegas. Newly emerged video shows he was intentionally killed by the teenage driver
This is so disturbing and sad!

This is another article about the case from MSN. Has a few more details. Apparently those teens were suspected in vehicle thefts that morning also.

I just can’t understand why someone would do this! I hope they charge the passenger as well!

Yes,@PapillonVert, it is disturbing and sad. As an elder cyclist, it breaks my heart and is also terrifying.

A similar incident happened in Huntington Beach, CA on Sept 12, 2023. A teen driver (only identified as a juvenile male between 14 and 18 years old) deliberately targeted three cyclists over a 45 minute period. All were within a mile of each other. He was charged with the homicide of a 70-year-old man and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon for injuries to the other two.

ABC News/Associated Press, September 13, 2023 covered it with a brief article: Teen Driver Accused of Intentionally Hitting Three Cyclists, Killing One

Yes,@PapillonVert, it is disturbing and sad. As an elder cyclist, it breaks my heart and is also terrifying.

A similar incident happened in Huntington Beach, CA on Sept 12, 2023. A teen driver (only identified as a juvenile male between 14 and 18 years old) deliberately targeted three cyclists over a 45 minute period. All were within a mile of each other. He was charged with the homicide of a 70-year-old man and two counts of assault with a deadly weapon for injuries to the other two.

ABC News/Associated Press, September 13, 2023 covered it with a brief article: Teen Driver Accused of Intentionally Hitting Three Cyclists, Killing One
I wonder why the charges in the September 13
incidents weren’t murder and attempted murder instead of homocide and assault.

Also it’s pretty messed up to have two such similar cases back to back involving minors. I hope it’s not some horrible social media challenge or something.

Last edited:
This is so heartbreaking. I am so sorry for the family and friends of the victim. Years as a police chief and surviving who knows how many ordeals in that line of work — I bet his family worried everyday he went to work, and were so relieved when he moved to a safer position…. only to be intentionally targeted and killed while trying to enjoy his later years of life. So senseless. I hope both driver and passenger are prosecuted, but also that they will eventually realize how damaging their actions were. All JMO.

I wonder why the charges in the September 13
incidents weren’t murder and attempted murder instead of homocide and assault.
I didn't link the more detailed New York Times article I read (NYT is behind a paywall) but the first cyclist was side swiped and suffered only minor injuries. The second cyclist was also side swiped. It seems the teen driver was trying to injure them but not kill them in those instances. No word on the type of collision or injuries suffered by the third cyclist.

“Justice will be served in this case,” Wolfson said.

At a news conference Tuesday, Taylor Probst described her father — known as Andy — as a man of honor and integrity who worked for more than 35 years in law enforcement.

“We are devastated by the senseless murder of Andy,” she said. “Andy’s life was robbed by two individuals who did not believe that lives of others matter.”

"In the criminal justice system, if you are a minor and you are eligible to be charged with the crime of murder, you are automatically sent to the adult system," said Steven Wolfson, district attorney of Clark County, Nevada. "I am confident that that is what is going to happen in this case."

This just happened close to me and I wondered if it was a copycat that saw the LV hit and run and decided to do same.
The same passed jogger and U turn to hit them but this was caught on a ring camera.
Maybe they recorded it and will be caught. Video in link.She survived.

Last edited:
"In the criminal justice system, if you are a minor and you are eligible to be charged with the crime of murder, you are automatically sent to the adult system," said Steven Wolfson, district attorney of Clark County, Nevada. "I am confident that that is what is going to happen in this case."
I am local and this happened near my home where my husband and son both ride. There is honestly no great place here for cyclists, as the city is not laid out well for bicycle safety, among other factors. But comparatively, this is a safe place to ride until these homicidal teenagers came along. I am devastated for the family. This man seems like a wonderful person. RIP Andy ♥️

I didn't link the more detailed New York Times article I read (NYT is behind a paywall) but the first cyclist was side swiped and suffered only minor injuries. The second cyclist was also side swiped. It seems the teen driver was trying to injure them but not kill them in those instances. No word on the type of collision or injuries suffered by the third cyclist.
The driver drove right over the 3rd victim at full speed. No sign of him being side swiped at all, or of the car braking. It was full on murder.

I saw the home made video. They were laughing as they took a picture in the side mirror as the retired officer fell to the street in a clump.

The driver drove right over the 3rd victim at full speed. No sign of him being side swiped at all, or of the car braking. It was full on murder.

I saw the home made video. They were laughing as they took a picture in the side mirror as the retired officer fell to the street in a clump.
I was a little confused trying to track the back and forth here, too. You are referring to the 8/14 murder in Las Vegas and I believe the post you’re replying to was referring to a 9/12 targeted car assault in Huntington Beach, CA.

The alleged murderers’ names are Jesus Ayala, 17, and Jzamir Keys, 16. “Alleged” until they are convicted, but they are on video and almost certainly guilty. Names were released as they will be tried as adults.

But I would like to again name ANDREAS PROBST and focus on what a wonderful person he was and what a loss he is to his family and our community.

“Andy’s life was robbed by two individuals who did not believe that the lives of others matter,” his daughter Taylor said, calling her father a “man of honor and integrity.”

“You think this juvenile [expletive] is gonna do some [expletive]? I’ll be out in 30 days, I’ll bet you,” Ayala told the cops, according to KLAS. “It’s just ah, [expletive] ah, hit-and-run — slap on the wrist.” Police had not yet told Ayala about any hit-and-run charges, and was only arrested for a warrant and obstructing a peace officer, the outlet reported.

Absolutely zero regard for human life. Something is clearly broken inside this young man.

jmo

“You think this juvenile [expletive] is gonna do some [expletive]? I’ll be out in 30 days, I’ll bet you,” Ayala told the cops, according to KLAS. “It’s just ah, [expletive] ah, hit-and-run — slap on the wrist.” Police had not yet told Ayala about any hit-and-run charges, and was only arrested for a warrant and obstructing a peace officer, the outlet reported.

Absolutely zero regard for human life. Something is clearly broken inside this young man.

jmo
Just a weird thought, but Ayala just turned 18. This murder occurred when he was still 17. I wonder if he decided to escalate right before his birthday because he thought he’d be in the juvenile system?

Both teens will be tried as adults.

Ayala has a long criminal history in the juvenile system, according to 8 News Now, while Keys was placed in the child welfare system at eight years old.

Keys' mother was charged with five counts of child abuse in 2016 after cops found her five children - aged two to nine - home alone without access to food, a knife left on the kitchen counter, and the house in a poor condition, according to the channel.

Police said they also tied the teens to at least three hit-and-run incidents the same day. They believe the slaying of Probst, a former police chief in Bell, California, ended the spree.
Mother of teen charged with murdering LA police chief speaks out
two bored teens going nowhere. Now they have somewhere to go. Jail.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back