NV NV - Elko Co, WhtFem 17-25, UP8358, posed in cross position, scars, Jul'72

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Besides Shaftner Jane Doe years later, in the early 1970's there are three UIDs that were found in Elko County that share the same basic description: white, late teens to early twenties, and had some variety of "reddish" (ranges from strawberry blonde to auburn) hair. Starr Valley Jane Doe was the first. The second was Devil's Gate Jane Doe The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) found on 2 October 1972. She was likely a murder victim but her specific cause of death could never be determined. The third was Thousand Springs Jane Doe The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs), who was found strangled and set on fire in 1974. Even with the different causes of death I think there's a possibility that the cases could all be connected in some way with the similarities between the victims. Threads for Devil's Gate Jane Doe:NV - NV - Elko Co., WhtFem UP11310, 15-18, near Devil's Gate, Oct'72 and Thousand Springs Jane Doe:NV - NV - Elko Co, WhtFem UP8359, 16-25, burned in desert off Hwy 93, no adrenals, Jul'74.

Thousand springs Jane Doe had a very rare disease with no adrenals. She would be steroid dependant to live. Without daily medication she would die within a few days.Very possible she could be tracked through her medical records. No adrenals is called Addisons. Addison's Disease | Cleveland Clinic

Thanks @elkomom ....welcome, are you local?

with all being "Does" my guess is he picked up hitchhikers from various places , did the Eaton guy have access to a blue Volkswagen I wonder?

How do we feel about Rosemarie Roginski as a potential match for this UID? Rosemarie’s date of disappearance doesn’t technically match up, but since it it isn’t specific (Spring of 1973) I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch to think that the year could be off by one. Rosemarie was attacked in March of 1972 (newspaper clipping found in her websleuths post/ linked below) could she have gone missing later that year?

She also apparently traveled quite a bit, so the distance between where she was last seen and where our UID was found doesn’t bother me too much.

The photos of the two look pretty heckin similar to me and the height/hair color/age are correct. I couldn’t see DNA info so I’m not sure that she has been or could be ruled out.

additionally, per Rosemarie’s post she was hospitalized in December of 1970 for 'treatment' at Sewickley Valley Hospital. Could one or more of our UID’s scars be from this treatment?

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/pa-rosemarie-roginski-21-ambridge-january-1973.299924/

Attachments

• A478DBD6-225F-4F19-8B82-C18F92D49ABB.jpeg
    A478DBD6-225F-4F19-8B82-C18F92D49ABB.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
There is now a reconstruction available for Starr Valley Jane Doe on NamUs!
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

attachment.php

This is actually very different from what I had pictured. I had previously imagined much lighter hair and a more petit appearance based on the other info. This should completely redirect the search for PMs for her.

Hi @victoriarobinson642 Do you have time to work on this recon? I think it would help if she had different hair, more like the description. It would be greatly appreciated.

The description of her hair is, depending on the source:
Namus:
Hair Color Sandy
Head Hair Description Light brown/blonde, curly and shoulder length
Body Hair Description Reddish-blonde pubic hair.
Doe Network:
Reddish-blond to light brown, curly and shoulder-length.

Hi @victoriarobinson642 Do you have time to work on this recon? I think it would help if she had different hair, more like the description. It would be greatly appreciated.

The description of her hair is, depending on the source:
Namus:
Hair Color Sandy
Head Hair Description Light brown/blonde, curly and shoulder length
Body Hair Description Reddish-blonde pubic hair.
Doe Network:
Reddish-blond to light brown, curly and shoulder-length.
I have some time this weekend-I can see if I can work up something more modern.

View attachment 270261
Elko Jane Doe in the flesh! I tried my best to work off the current reconstruction, which isn't the most realistic, so I'm not entirely certain about some aspects.

Hairstyle+eye color are artistic guesses

(As always, high-quality version at https://i.imgur.com/4p8aQdo.jpg)

Wow!!! Thank you so much!! You are great! @victoriarobinson642 Don't worry about the guesses...every recon is an approximation.

BTW you should 'protect' your work or don't you mind?

Last edited:
From the article above about another IUD, bold added by me
“A few potential matches have been found – including one in Pennsylvania, one in the Southwest and one in Australia – but no close relatives beyond fourth cousins. Building a family tree back to the 18th century to find intersecting branches is a time-consuming process.”

I never turned in this potential match because I’m terribly anxious and I felt kind of silly about such a long shot, but when I read that DNA genealogy had found distant relatives in Pennsylvania for another IUD my heart skipped a beat. What do y’all think? If someone thinks it’s worthy, could you maybe submit it? My anxiety is crippling at the moment.

How do we feel about Rosemarie Roginski as a potential match for this UID? Rosemarie’s date of disappearance doesn’t technically match up, but since it it isn’t specific (Spring of 1973) I don’t think it’s too far of a stretch to think that the year could be off by one. Rosemarie was attacked in March of 1972 (newspaper clipping found in her websleuths post/ linked below) *and was never mentioned anywhere past that point in time* could she have gone missing later that year 72 instead of 73?

She also apparently traveled quite a bit, so the distance between where she was last seen and where our UID was found doesn’t bother me too much.

The photos of the two look pretty heckin similar to me and the height/hair color/age are correct. I couldn’t see DNA info so I’m not sure that she has been or could be ruled out.

additionally, per Rosemarie’s post she was hospitalized in December of 1970 for 'treatment' at Sewickley Valley Hospital. Could one or more of our UID’s scars be from this treatment?

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/pa-rosemarie-roginski-21-ambridge-january-1973.299924/

Last edited:
Sadly I can't read it.
One of the most widely publicized cold cases involved the 1993 slaying of “Shafter Jane Doe,” an unidentified female murder victim found off an Interstate 80 exit named after a ghost town in eastern Elko County.

A traveler found her naked body, posed like a cross, in the sagebrush on Nov. 16. She had been shot once in the back and once in the chest. Her age was estimated at 27.

Shafter Jane’s DNA is now being searched through a system that is much more accurate and extensive than it was when she was murdered a quarter-century ago.

One name that has come up in the past as a possible suspect is David Wayne Eaton, who was tied through DNA evidence to a 1988 cold case near Casper, Wyoming. Eaton was charged 10 years after the murder and convicted, but his death sentence was thrown out by a judge in 2014.

Three other Great Basin murder victims found in Elko County date back to the 1970s. Devil’s Gate Jane Doe was found in 1972 near Deeth, Starr Valley Jane Doe was found in 1972, and Thousand Springs Jane Doe in 1974.

Starr Valley Jane Doe’s naked body was found by a rancher in July 1972. She had been shot in the head and neck, and posed with her arms and legs extended. Her age was estimated at 20 to 25. Although one fingerprint was intact, she was never identified.

Kolsch said a witness reported seeing a Volkswagen leaving the area a few days prior. Bundy was living in Salt Lake City at the time and drove a Volkswagen. However, Czegledi said the car seen in Nevada had a Tennessee license plate, and he was not aware of any evidence connecting the death to Bundy.

Devil’s Gate Jane Doe’s body was found in a shallow grave north of Deeth in October of 1972. The white, possibly racially mixed adult was believed to be 15 to 18 years old.

Thousand Springs Jane Doe’s body was found two years later, in July 1974. The woman in her late teens to early 20s was spotted by tourists in a dry wash 33 miles north of Wells, where the California Trail runs into U.S. Highway 93.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie
Back