Identified! NV - Henderson, 'Arroyo Grande', WhtFem UP46, "S" tattoo, Oct'80*GRAPHIC* - Tammy Corrine Terrell

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that if this is Sherrlynn then it is far more likely she was convinced to go voluntarily by someone she had met a few times. When you think about the logistics of getting someone from Australia to America, the most common method of travel (a very long commercial flight) would be damnably hard and risky with a drugged and kidnapped girl. Being taken away by yacht would be an option, but Ballarat is a bit too inland to make it a likely option. A private aircraft would be an option too, but it seems to me the sort of people who own private aircrafts would be more likely to pick up a girl as a private toy while they were going about other business than to be attempting to turn out another rather ordinary girl into whoredom... and unless the unwillingness was specifically what they were after, they'd be going for willing girls and finding them because a private aircraft is a bit of a drawcard.

Of course once she got to where-ever it was, reality would have set in quickly.

Or the old "I can get you on the silver screen" ploy. Yeah, I think it's quite likely she left willingly with somebody. Maybe a friend of the friend.

Rick Jones (Clark County Coroner's Investigator) sent me an e-mail. He is reaching out to Detective David Butler at the Belier Taskforce in Melbourne to obtain dentals, x-ray, and DNA for Sherrlynn. It is Saturday in Australia, so we probably won't hear anything until next week. The dentals for Arroyo JD have some specific features that should be easy to identify (spacing between 7&8 and impacted 3rd molars-wisdom teeth). I have not been able to obtain dental records for Sherrlynn Mitchell to date- oh how I wish, I could conduct my own comparison. The journalist that wrote the feature on her in their local paper was not sure if dental records exist.
Will keep the thread posted with any updates...

Great job nola for even having the audacity to take more than just a passing glance at Aussies when looking for possible matches.

What are the odds? I mean there must be thousands of MP's in Australia, just as there are here. But very few Australian MP's are given publicity in the States. I'm thinking that they must have had some reason to believe that she came here other than comments that she always wanted to travel overseas. A lot of people say that they would like to travel.

I wonder if her parents are still alive.

You know when I first looked at this I couldn't understand why she hadn't been identified. It made me think that the reason she had not could be because perhaps she was a tourist, or what if she were a mail order bride. Sounds odd, I know. But her body had been recovered so soon (like with 24 hours of death). Why didn't her family recognize her? My train of thought kept bringing me back to foreigner with loved ones not knowing she had traveled to the states. It was at that point that I started focusing on web sites that had links to missing persons from outside of the US. The Doe Network, sadly has many to consider.

To answer your question about her family, the articles that I have read do mention her mum and a brother. Her brother as recently as 2007 was using the media to help re-open the case of his missing sister.
Prayers that they finally do get the answers they need. Also, if this is Sherrlynn- I pray for justice.

Here are a couple of articles that I read a few months ago about Arroyo Grande Jane Doe (among other Las Vegas UID's). Apparently, her case was one of the first times that a coroner's office actually publicised postmortem photos on the internet in an attempt to identify them.

There is a mention about Detective John Williams, who has "spent, literally, his career trying to identify who this little girl was,"

Detective Williams took this case so personally, that he frequently referred to Arroyo Grande JD as "my girl".

http://www.lasvegascitylife.com/articles/2006/03/30/cover_story/cover.txt

http://www.doenetwork.org/media/news148.html

Wonder if Detective Williams has retired or if he's still on the Henderson force?

Here's the answer:

Hi Cindy,

First your e-mail is not a bother, yes we are busy and each of us carry a full case load but we are ALL dedicated and committed to our profession. Our Jane "Arroya Grande" Doe is truly the one that started the passion in our program. I started working feverishly on John/Jane Doe after I got hired 12 years ago. It became a passion for me and she caught my eye because when I started, my daughter was about same age and look and I felt if my daughter had been missing, I would/could NEVER stop looking for her. Over the years and learning that there are so many people unidentified - deceased - buried and forgotten in many cases - just is so WRONG. Our innovative Coroner and his courage to stand up to some of the critics - "how can we put pictures of dead people on the Internet - how disrespectful". Well of the many people we have gotten identified and the family's notified - some 15+ years later - they were so grateful that their loved one was not forgotten and NONE of the families objected to having their loved one's photo on the Internet. We have come a long way in this profession. We are so pleased that we recently got a grant to exhume many of our unidentifieds that were buried (but not forgotten) for DNA that was not around when they were buried.

To answer your question about John, he has since retired from Henderson PD - sadden that he had not been able to solve her murder or get her identified. We still keep in touch with John and I will forward Sherrlynn's photo to him. I have forwarded so many photo's in the past to John and we both get excited that this could be the one but if she is not, we will never give up. Some day she will get identified, get her family notified and with that new information to Law Enforcement - we hopefully the low life dirtbag will be brought to justice.

Thank you for your comments, we truly have a great team working together to find the identities of these folks. Some day, we will succeed.

Have a great weekend, we'll keep you informed.

Rick

Home from hospital for half a day and I am so pleased to see new info and posts on this JD who, for some reason, cries out to me more than any other.
I pray she is identified, this looks like an amazing match...

Okay, I have a question for you experienced sleuths.
I was watching a TV program this weekend that featured John Edward Robinson's crimes. I was intrigued and horrified that he presented himself to be a normal executive type while at the same time exploiting women as the "Slave Master" on line -apparently starting murdering women in the 1990s. He lured his victims in with jobs, places to live, friendship and then exerted the ultimate betrayal.
Does any know where this guy was from 1973 - 1980?

Hi im new here but I new Sherrlynn Leigh Mitchell's brother I have always thought that there could have been more done in this case how ever that was the times back then . My computer crashed and I have lost all the news articles and any details I had have been lost . I have not seen her brother in over 10 years I did not know that he had made a plea to the media . If anyone has any info or links that could point me in the right direction could you let me know please .I also think that Sherrlynn Leigh Mitchell looks a lot like the Jane Doe you have posted here my god it would be nice to get the family closure

Hi im new here but I new Sherrlynn Leigh Mitchell's brother I have always thought that there could have been more done in this case how ever that was the times back then . My computer crashed and I have lost all the news articles and any details I had have been lost . I have not seen her brother in over 10 years I did not know that he had made a plea to the media . If anyone has any info or links that could point me in the right direction could you let me know please .I also think that Sherrlynn Leigh Mitchell looks a lot like the Jane Doe you have posted here my god it would be nice to get the family closure

Welcome! and thanks for your comments. Here are two articles about SLM from the Courier newspaper.

195769.aspx

510056.aspx

The last e-mail that I received from The Courier reporter (7/7/10) is that the Cold Case detective in Australia is of the opinion that our Arroyo Jane Doe may not be SLM. He offered no explanation, but added that he was still looking into this possible match. I got the idea that SLM may not have dental records available for comparison. The Henderson, NV detective has been in communication with the Australian LE and has offered comparative details to Aussie LE on their Jane Doe case. If dentals are not available for Sherrlynn, DNA would be an expensive and more time extensive process. I guess patience will be required.

Hi nola thank you :) I can not get the article links to load could you tell me what iam doing wrong lol im very new at this whole internet thing (still have the training wheels on ) lol

Thank you nola for that I could not see the name of the reporter could you please if you it pass it on to me thanks I wish to get in contact with then as a few people have started a facebook page in regards to this case and they want to get the word out there so if you could pass it on to me that would be Great thank you :)

The reporter at The Courier is Kim Quinlan. Contact her at kim.quinlan@thecourier.com.au. She is interested in knowing more about the facebook page for Sherrlynn. Share the facebook link when you can.

Rule Out List for Arroyo Grande Jane Doe:
This list is comprehensive and was shared by Clark County Coroner's Investigator, Rick Jones of Missing Persons who have been ruled out as matches for AGJD.

Information shown (Name; State, Last Known Alive date, Status, Date of Rule Out)
Rachael Gardner; NH;2/22/80; Neg. dentals;5/29/03
Sandra Butler; NV ;6/26/78 ;Neg. dentals; 5/29/03
Sandra Landrum; GA; 9/29/75; Neg prints; 12/3/03
Cheryl Ann Scherer;MO ;4/17/79 ; Neg dentals; 12/19/03
Suzanne Schultz; WI; 7/79; Neg dentals; 2/26/04
Angela Mae Meeker; WA; 7/7/79; Neg dentals; 5/29/04
Terry Lynch; CA; Found Alive; 4/18/05
Melinda Creech; IN;9/4/79 ; Neg dentals; 1/11/08
Margaret Kay Holst; NE; 8/4/77; Neg dentals; 2/24/10
Tammy Akers;VA ;2/7/77 ; Neg dentals; 2/24/10
Rebecca Dunn; NV; 4/79; Neg prints; 6/5/10

The following list contains the names of Missing Persons that are currently being checked as matches for Arroyo Grande Jane Doe:

Information shown by Name, Status and Date of Submission.
Laureen Rahn - Checking CODIS -5/03
Mary Trlica (AKA: Mary Rachell Arnold) Checking CODIS - 11/03
Alana/Leticia Carter: Checking CODIS - 12/03
Rebecca Rodriquez: Checking CODIS - 11/04
Tracy King: Checking CODIS - 11/04
Cindy Lou Werling: Checking CODIS - 11/04
Ann Ellinwood: Checking CODIS - 11/04
Diane Dye: Ck DNA CA DOJ - 3/06
Teresa Alfonso: Checking DNA UNT (University North TX) - 7/08
Sherrlynn Mitchell: Cking with AU for DNA, etc. - 5/10
Wilma Rae Vermaas: Checking CODIS - 6/10
Adrianne Gilliam: Checking CODIS - 6/10
Lucinda Schaefer: Checking CODIS - 6/10
Brenda Crowley: Checking CODIS - 6/10
Kristy Lynn Booth: Checking CODIS - 6/10
Simone Ridinger: Checking CODIS - 6/10

Journalist Kim Quinlin's article about this possible match.http://www.thecourier.com.au/
This story ran in today's paper and was picked up by network and national television outlets. Websleuths community got nice exposure!

The link provided by Nola did lead to the article earlier, but now it leads only to the Courier.com Homepage. Here is the link directly to the article:

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/news/general/us-link-to-ballarat-mystery/1898595.aspx

Here is the text of another article (worded slightly differently from the first one )

Link: http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/l...r-missing-girl-in-us-murder-link/1899566.aspx

DNA test for missing girl in US murder link
BY KIM QUINLAN
30 Jul, 2010 01:19 AM

THE elderly mother of a girl who disappeared from Ballarat 37 years ago will have DNA samples taken today to see if a body discovered in the United States is that of her missing daughter.

Police investigating the case of missing 16-year-old Sherrlynn Mitchell will today travel to Ballarat to take samples from her mother Betty Hill. Sherrlynn's older brother Gerard, who lives in Melbourne, will also have DNA samples taken today.

Ms Mitchell disappeared from Ballarat on November 22, 1973 while waiting for a bus. Her family has not seen her heard from her since.

Victoria Police confirmed on Wednesday they were investigating whether the body found in a Nevada desert in 1980 was that of Sherrlynn, who disappeared from Ballarat seven years before.

Belier Taskforce members and coroners from Clark County in Nevada have been working together in recent weeks to determine whether the Jane Doe found in the desert was that of the missing Ballarat teenager.

Ms Mitchell's mother said Belier Taskforce officers had contacted her and her son yesterday to confirm DNA tests would be carried out today.

''I'm relieved something is being done for Sherrlynn. Even if this body in Nevada doesn't turn out to be Sherrlynn, there is no harm in trying (to find out),'' said Mrs Hill, who turns 80 next month.

However, she believes her daughter may still be alive.

''I don't think she's dead ... I would have felt something if she was gone, but my motherly instincts tell me she's still alive.''

Ms Mitchell's brother Gerard was also relieved police were conducted DNA tests. ''I feel happy knowing that someone is looking for her. At least we know we've tried,'' he said.

The possible link between the disappearance of Ms Mitchell and the murder of Jane ''Arroyo Grande'' Doe was discovered by a member of the online Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community, which is made up of volunteers who

spend time trying to solve crimes involving missing persons, ongoing criminal cases and the identification of unidentified victims.

Websleuths member Cindy Harbison made the possible connection after reading an online article about Ms Mitchell's case by The Courier in April this year and information on the missing children's website NamUs (National

Missing and Unidentified Persons System).

Ms Harbison, who was researching the Jane ''Arroyo Grande'' Doe case when she stumbled across Ms Mitchell's story.

On October 5, 1980, the named body of Jane ''Arroyo Grande'' Doe was found by a passing motorist lying face down into he desert area on State Route 146, on the outskirts of Las Vegas, Nevada. An autopsy revealed she had died

due to blunt trauma to the head and multiple stab wounds to her back.

Meanwhile, a Facebook page set up to put pressure on police to further investigate the Mitchell case has received almost 300 hits.

The page was set up by Mitchell family friend Alex Girle, who felt more needed to be done in the investigation.

To access Ms Girle's Facebook page, visit thecourier.com.au and follow the links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne