NV - Jacoby Robinson, 2, found dead in dumpster; mother charged with murder - Jun 7, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
for Smith & Robinson

Events & Hearings:
07/17/2024 Initial Arraignment
Judicial Officer: Jones, Tierra
Hearing Time: 8:30 AM
Result: Matter Continued

07/17/2024 Bench Warrant Return
Result: Bench Warrant Quashed

07/17/2024 All Pending Motions
Result: Matter Heard
Parties Present
Plaintiff: State of Nevada
Attorney: Di Giacomo, Marc P.
Defendant: Smith, Diaja Mishay Khaeema
Attorney: McNeill, Monique A.

08/08/2024 Arraignment Continued
Hearing Time 9:00 AM
Comment: ARRAIGNMENT CONTINUED / COMMITTEE DECISION

link: Eighth Judicial District Court Portal

Jacoby Robinson Jr. was found dead inside a dumpster on June 7 near Lewis Avenue and 14th Street after his mother, Diaja Smith, 23, called 911 and claimed he was abducted from a park

Jacoby Robinson Jr. was found dead inside a dumpster on June 7 near Lewis Avenue and 14th Street after his mother, Diaja Smith, 23, called 911 and claimed he was abducted from a park

'*advertiser censored**, *advertiser censored***, *advertiser censored**, *advertiser censored**, *advertiser censored**, *advertiser censored** - just look in there,' the officer told his partner with distress in his voice

for Smith & Robinson

Events & Hearings:
07/17/2024 All Pending Motions
Result: Matter Heard
Parties Present:

07/18/2024 Media Request and Order
Comment: [8] Media Request and Order Allowing Camera Access to Court Proceedings

07/18/2024 Media Request and Order
Comment: [9] Media Request and Order Allowing Camera Access to Court Proceedings

07/26/2024 Media Request and Order
Comment: [10] Media Request and Order Allowing Camera Access to Court Proceedings

Hearing Time: 9:00 AM

Thursday, August 8th:
*Arraignment Hearings for both [continued] (@ 9am PT) - NV - Jacoby Robinson, Jr. (2) missing June 6, 2024 @ 8:25pm & found dead in dumpster @ 1am on June 7, 2024 a few blocks from home in Las Vegas - *Diaja Misha Khaeema Smith (23) arrested & charged (6/7/24) with open murder [with the use of a deadly weapon or tear gas] & child abuse/neglect. No bond.
Indicted (7/12/24), re-charged & arraigned (7/17/24/was continued) with murder (with use of a deadly weapon) & child abuse/neglect. Clark County
*Jacoby Michaial Robinson (24) arrested & charged (6/7/24 & 6/11/24) with open murder [with the use of a deadly weapon or tear gas], child abuse/neglect w/SBMH & allowing child abuse/neglect (endanger), w/SBMH. No bond.
Indicted (7/12/24), re-charged & arraigned (7/17/24 as continued) with murder (with the use of a deadly weapon & child abuse/neglect. Clark County
The slain boy’s twin also suffered serious injuries, including a brain bleed. He was listed in critical condition at the time of his parents’ arrests. Their injured son’s condition remains undisclosed as of Thursday 6/13/24.
Judge Tierra Jones presiding. DAs Lead attorney Steven B. Wolfson & Marc P. Di Giacomo. Defense attorneys: Smith: Monique A. McNiell & Robinson: Monti Jordana Levy.

Case & court info from 6/6/24 thru 7/15/24 reference post #19 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mother-charged-with-murder-jun-7-2024.714697/

7/16/24 Update: On Friday, 7/13/24, Diaja Smith & Jacoby Robinson were indicted for two counts, including murder with the use of a deadly weapon & child abuse, neglect, or endangerment with the use of a deadly weapon. A bench warrant was issued for both Smith & Robinson on Monday, 7/15/24. Robinson Sr. and Smith have an arraignment hearing scheduled for 7/17/24, Wednesday morning.
7/16/24 Update from other Court site for both. On 7/12/24 Grand jury indictment hearing with Judge Jerry A. Wiese presiding. Matter heard. Parties Present: Plaintiff: State of Nevada attorney Marc P. Di Giacomo. Indictment; warrant; reporters transcript of proceedings. 7/15/24: Bench warrant return. [5-7] Media request & Order allowing camera access to Court proceedings. Initial arraignment & bench warrant return hearing on 7/17/24 @ 8:30am with Judge Tierra Jones presiding.
7/17/24 Update: Initial Arraignment held with Judge Tierra Jones presiding. Matter continued. [4] Bench warrant quashed. All pending motions were heard. Parties Present: Plaintiff: State of Nevada-Attorney Marc P. Di Giacomo. Defendants Smith with attorney Monique A. McNeill & Robinson with attorney Monti Levy. 7/18/24 Docket update: [8 & 9] Media request & order allowing camera access to Court proceedings. 7/25/24: [10] Media request & Order allowing camera access to court proceedings. Arraignment continued [committee decision] on 8/8/24 @ 9am.

for both:

Events & Hearings:
08/05/2024 Order Granting/Denying Media Request
Comment: [11] Media Request and Order Allowing Camera Access to Court Proceedings

Result: Set Status Check
Parties Present
Attorney: Rinetti, Dena I.
Defendant: Robinson, Jacoby Michaial
Attorney: Levy, Monti Jordana
Defendant: Smith, Diaja Mishay Khaeema
Attorney: Allen, Betsy

08/13/2024 Status Check: Trial Setting
Judicial Officer: Kierny, Carli

Aug. 8, 2024
LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) - The parents charged in the death of a two-year-old appeared in court Thursday morning.

Diaja Smith and Jacoby Robinson were previously indicted on murder and child abuse charges in the death of this little boy—Jacoby Robinson Jr.
[.....]
In court, Robinson pleaded not guilty. He told the judge he would like to go to trial but waived his right to have a speedy trial.

The status check for the trial will be on August 13.

Prosecutors have decided not to pursue the death penalty in this case.

Aug. 8, 2024

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — The parents of a 2-year-old boy whose body was found in a dumpster will not face the death penalty should a jury convict them.

A death review committee determined the Clark County District Attorney’s Office should not seek the penalty against Jacoby Robinson Sr., 24; and Diaja Smith, 23, prosecutors said during a hearing Thursday.
[.....]
Both Smith and Robinson remained in jail as of Wednesday without bail. Their next court appearance was scheduled for Aug. 13. A judge could schedule their trial then.

The state has not put a person to death since 2006.

Neither article said whether Smith plead not guilty - but I will "assume" so... :)

I read this thread this morning. 14 hrs ago now and all day its been on my mind. This has wrecked my head, absolutely wrecked it. Have been crying on and off all day thinking about this child. The other half doesn't know what to do by this point!
All I can think of is 730 days - 2 years old. When did his life of fright and pain start? Day 1? Day 7? Day 98? I look at the 2nd photo of him, reaching out, and I just want to reach through the screen and wrap him up in a cuddle and tell him it will be OK. Not everyone's mean. But I can't. No one can. He will never ever know that what happened to him was wrong or bad. Never. I want him to know that Mammy's and Daddy's aren't supposed to be the cause of pain, they're supposed to take it away and make it better. He will never know that either.
I've thought about those little and big toddler moments - first step, first word, Christmas, birthday, learning about the world around him. Wondered what his first word was. What did he learn in his short life? Did he have the cute toddler belly laugh? Did he ever laugh? Did he get to know any good days? Any fun filled days? Moments of love and safety? Was he hugged? Comforted when he was scared at all, at any point? Or was he tortured the entire time his heart beat in his body?
What legal punishment will it take for these "parents" to stop hurting and killing their children? Because no deterent seems to work. And it's wrong, so so wrong. What needs to be done in this world so there isn't another child found dead in a dumpster??

I'm so sorry. I needed to get that out.

mo heartbroken opinion

I read this thread this morning. 14 hrs ago now and all day its been on my mind. This has wrecked my head, absolutely wrecked it. Have been crying on and off all day thinking about this child. The other half doesn't know what to do by this point!
All I can think of is 730 days - 2 years old. When did his life of fright and pain start? Day 1? Day 7? Day 98? I look at the 2nd photo of him, reaching out, and I just want to reach through the screen and wrap him up in a cuddle and tell him it will be OK. Not everyone's mean. But I can't. No one can. He will never ever know that what happened to him was wrong or bad. Never. I want him to know that Mammy's and Daddy's aren't supposed to be the cause of pain, they're supposed to take it away and make it better. He will never know that either.
I've thought about those little and big toddler moments - first step, first word, Christmas, birthday, learning about the world around him. Wondered what his first word was. What did he learn in his short life? Did he have the cute toddler belly laugh? Did he ever laugh? Did he get to know any good days? Any fun filled days? Moments of love and safety? Was he hugged? Comforted when he was scared at all, at any point? Or was he tortured the entire time his heart beat in his body?
What legal punishment will it take for these "parents" to stop hurting and killing their children? Because no deterent seems to work. And it's wrong, so so wrong. What needs to be done in this world so there isn't another child found dead in a dumpster??

I'm so sorry. I needed to get that out.

mo heartbroken opinion
1723281441777.gif

The slain boy’s twin also suffered serious injuries, including a brain bleed. He was listed in critical condition at the time of his parents’ arrests. Their injured son’s condition remains undisclosed as of Thursday 6/13/24.
RBM.
Snipped for focus.

While reading through the articles and links; this was the first time reading that one of the siblings was Jacoby's twin. :(
For all of the siblings -- forever robbed of their little brother.
Despicable.
My opinion is that the 'parents' sentences won't be harsh enough.
Omo.

Tuesday, August 13th:
*Status Check: Trial Setting Hearings for both (@ 9am PT) - NV - Jacoby Robinson, Jr. (2) missing June 6, 2024 @ 8:25pm & found dead in dumpster @ 1am on June 7, 2024 a few blocks from home in Las Vegas - *Diaja Misha Khaeema Smith (23) arrested & charged (6/7/24) with open murder [with the use of a deadly weapon or tear gas] & child abuse/neglect. No bond.
Indicted (7/12/24), re-charged & arraigned (7/17/24 was continued on 8/8/24) with murder (with use of a deadly weapon) & child abuse/neglect. Clark County
*Jacoby Michaial Robinson (24) arrested & charged (6/7/24 & 6/11/24) with open murder [with the use of a deadly weapon or tear gas], child abuse/neglect w/SBMH & allowing child abuse/neglect (endanger), w/SBMH. No bond.
Indicted (7/12/24), re-charged & arraigned (7/17/24 was continued on 8/8/24) with murder (with the use of a deadly weapon & child abuse/neglect. DA will not seek DP. Clark County
Judge Tierra Jones presiding. DAs Lead attorney Steven B. Wolfson, Marc P. Di Giacomo & Dena I. Rinetti. Defense attorneys: Smith: Lead attorney Monique A. McNeill & Betsy Allen [retained] & Robinson: Monti Jordana Levy.

Case & court info from 6/6/24 thru 7/18/24 reference post #26 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-charged-with-murder-jun-7-2024.714697/page-2

7/25/24: [10] Media request & Order allowing camera access to court proceedings. Arraignment continued [committee decision] for both on 8/8/24 @ 9am. 8/5/24 Docket update: Order Granting/Denying Media Request. [11] Media Request & Order Allowing Camera Access to Court Proceedings.
8/8/24 Update: Arraignment hearing held. Parties present: State of Nevada by attorneys Marc P. Di Giacomo & Dena I. Rinetti. Defendant Robinson with attorney Monti Levy & defendant Smith with attorney Betsey Allen. Smith & Robinson both plead not guilty. Robinson told the judge he would like to go to trial but waived his right to have a speedy trial. Prosecutors have decided not to pursue the death penalty in this case. Judge Tierra Jones sets a status check: trial setting hearing on 8/13/24 @ 9am.

for Smith & Robinson

Events & Hearings:
08/13/2024 Status Check: Trial Setting
Result: Trial Date Set

10/15/2024 Status Check: Trial Readiness

06/17/2025 Calendar Call