NV NV - Might there have been a serial killer in Las Vegas in the 70s and 80s?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
hi. Do you know if they ever reopen cases like this one? It happened over 40 years ago, but I remember some of it like it was yesterday. Little Susie was my cousin, so I have a lifelong interest in closure.. She disappeared just a few days before my sisters and I showed up for a vacation from Seattle to Las Vegas. My uncle Rusty, Susie's dad, is my dad's big brother. I slept in her room. I was even questioned by the police. At the time they all thought Susie ran away from home. No way! Who leaves without money, food or clothes? In her flip flops wearing a one piece swim suit and uncle Rusty's work shirt. We swam in the pool that was her destination. And we bought candy bars at her favorite gas station on the way to the pool I really hope the Las Vegas police keep looking for clues. What if he's still alive hurting little girls? Let me know if they ever do get the guy that did this to her, please. And Thanks for letting me vent . Blessings, Grace

Unfortunately I couldn't find any Las Vegas newspapers online going back that far. I would like to know if the possible of a serial killer was at least discussed. I don't like feeling like a crackpot but the number of apparent stranger kidnapping/assaulting/killing cases of similar types of girls seems disproportionate.

Well I can say that in my case, the Metro homicide detective did bring up Kim Bryant's case (the only name I can remember--she went to Western High) and they were ruled out because there were some really horrible things there.
Can you look at solved cases for clues? "Kim Bryant Suspect met own death later" Review Journal headline April 14, 1980. Shame the RJ or Sun isn't available online. I later found clippings at the Clark County library on Flamingo and Maryland Pkwy hoping to get closer to solving mine

Did Vickie Lynne Brekke live on Braddock St? this article says she lived in my neighborhood. A street named Bannock was a few blocks from where I was abducted. That is not North Las Vegas. I didn't know her from Garside Jr High I guess I got there the next year. I have a copy of the microfiche of this Las Vegas Sun article from May 8, 1980. My name is in the article.

Last edited:
Did Vickie Lynne Brekke live on Braddock St? this article says she lived in my neighborhood. A street named Bannock was a few blocks from where I was abducted. That is not North Las Vegas. I didn't know her from Garside Jr High I guess I got there the next year. I have a copy of the microfiche of this Las Vegas Sun article from May 8, 1980. My name is in the article.

I have been doing heavy research on the 1979 Vickie Lynn Brekke case, I would love to exchange information, please leave me an email, I am brand new here. i was googling Vickie's name and see what results I could find. Thank you

I think a (single) serial killer could have definitely killed both Miller and Perron. Both are young teenagers and went missing within days of each other and not far from each other.

Not only that, but the distance of the two suspects are not far from each other at all.

Hiya! I'm new to WS, nice to meet you all. :) As I mentioned in Jody Miller's thread, I have been investigating these murders for a while. I have been to three different libraries digging up as much information as I can, and have newspaper articles, cross-reference directory listings, and maps from the 70's-80's at my disposal, much of which I saved and uploaded to Gdrive. I'm planning on going to UNLV's library eventually to see what they might have. So far I have found newspaper articles on all of these girls (except one, I think), including a couple obits. The article on the discovery of Vickie's body has the detective's name listed who was working on the case at the time. Some articles had their home addresses which made it much easier to figure out the routes they might have walked when on the way to their destinations (since they were all abducted on foot while walking someplace).

Anyway, I want to help as much as I can... bgbonzo, what are the links to the article and blog you speak of? I would love to check those out!

Helllo, I am in direct contact with the family in the Vickie Lynn Brekke case, if you would like to pick each others brain, I will love that. The detectives are useless right now, that's why I feel as if our input can help more

Las Vegas had a few serial killers, but there were also them drive-tru serial killers that traveled from state to state, like Stephen Morin, and Samuel Little whom has over 90 victims, and Morin had 48 suspected but only was charged with 4 murders. Recently a man name John Doane was charged with a new case from 1978 , he dubbed the "screwdriver rapist" he was caught in 1979. I think he's worth looking into.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any Las Vegas newspapers online going back that far. I would like to know if the possible of a serial killer was at least discussed. I don't like feeling like a crackpot but the number of apparent stranger kidnapping/assaulting/killing cases of similar types of girls seems disproportionate.

If you have a library card, you can go into the library website and look for the archive button, it will ask for your library card number, or you can just google archive newspapers, it goes Way back and helps you research names but it might charge

Braddock st is 89110.

Not only that, but the distance of the two suspects are not far from each other at all.
I had a weird experience in the early 70's. My parents and I use to go to Las Vegas once in a while. They would gamble and I would hang out in the area Foxy's hot dogs. One time I was crossing in the x crosswalk walking towards the Golden Nugget when a male and a female came up to me. Each one had grabbed a hold of one of my arms before even saying a word to me.. There were hundreds of people in the area but no one seemed to noticed what was going on. At first they were nice said they had tickets to a concert and wanted me to go party with them. When I didn't comply right away, they started getting aggressive insisting that I was going with them. Luckily, I was a farm girl and a lot stronger than I looked. I jerked my arms away from both of them at the same time loudly telling them no. They didn't say a word and just faded into the crowd. The male looked a lot like Peter Lorrie with the same build and dark circles around his eyes. The female was a skinny, bleached blond maybe a little taller than the male. Both were around 5'8 or 5'9 and thin. But they didn't look like hard core drug users. It was really weird. I went and found my mother and told her about it but didn't contact the pd. I was 15 or 16 at the time so fit in with these murdered girls.

Those are probably sex traffickers, we have quite a few missing, the girls vanished into thin air.
From googling a bit I found out that this exact same topic has been broached more than once on Websleuths. Someone will start a thread about one of the cases I listed and then it will turn to speculation that it is connected to some of the others. There was a thread from 2008 about Amanda Fravel (not among the cases I listed) and a 2011 thread about Jody Miller.

I also found an article by John L. Smith "Vegas Killers" from 2001 and a blog post from a retired crime lab worker in LV, both indicated that more than one Las Vegas detective has speculated about some of these cases being connected. And finally there is a woman with an e-book on Amazon, quite badly reviewed, that is based on the speculation that the exact set of cases I picked out from the LVPD website are the work of one killer. (Based on the reviews her primary source was the same website).

So I'm at least satisfied that it's a reasonably likely premise. I don't anticipate being able to go anywhere further with this. But certainly would be eager to read any other thoughts about the topic.

That Amazon book, if its that eBook call "Sin City Strangler" that book is filled with defamation, no evidence, or facts, just assumptions. The Author wrote about the case I'm investigating and the Author didn't ask the family permission, she wrote that Vickie might had got killed by a serial rapist or killer, whatever, that's non sense, that just made people think the case is practically solved. Vickie was killed in 1978, not one detective had made any effort to solve the case. I picked up the report, within minutes I Figured out so many facts that were missed by Metro. It is sad how cold cases from 80's And older get pushed to the back.

Since on the Subject of serial killers in Las Vegas has anyone heard rumors of the new serial killer from this year? Well, metro has not labeled anybody, a serial killer, because we know that there's certain pattern and evidence that you have to confirm first.
3 women were all killed the same way. First a lady was found by Chinatown, she had just came out of work, she owned the business and they found her inside her vehicle with gun shot, dead. Second one was a lady that was leaving the party at a park, she was also shot and left in the car. And the third one was leaving work. She was found by lake Mead and also killed by a gunshot Inside her car.

Since on the Subject of serial killers in Las Vegas has anyone heard rumors of the new serial killer from this year? Well, metro has not labeled anybody, a serial killer, because we know that there's certain pattern and evidence that you have to confirm first.
3 women were all killed the same way. First a lady was found by Chinatown, she had just came out of work, she owned the business and they found her inside her vehicle with gun shot, dead. Second one was a lady that was leaving the party at a park, she was also shot and left in the car. And the third one was leaving work. She was found by lake Mead and also killed by a gunshot Inside her car.

Ooh, this is an interesting development. Is LE linking them together, or is it purely media speculation?

homicide_7523324-gerri-ralston.jpg <Gerri Ann Ralston
18353367_1e85f740-1872-4b73-a889-051c04100194.png <<<Carol Lyn Lum

Gerri Ann was killed on 1975
Was Gerri Ann Ralston killed by John Eugene Doane? John kidnapped and killed a girl Carol Lyn Lum in 1978 who attended Basic High In Henderson, Las Vegas and 3 months later he asked a Basic High school Student if she wanted a ride and she said yea and he threatened her and raped and beat her and dumped her for dead but she was found alive and this Happened in 1979 but Gerri Ann Ralston died in 1975 and she Also attended Basic High School but I'm not sure if their connected or Not

Sources
Prisoner faces murder charge in 1978 slaying of Las Vegas teen

I-Team: Metro’s cold case homicide team solves 41-year-old murder; suspect found in prison for similar crime

1970 - 1979

W
View attachment 212650 <Gerri Ann Ralston
View attachment 212652 <<<Carol Lyn Lum

Gerri Ann was killed on 1975
Was Gerri Ann Ralston killed by John Eugene Doane? John kidnapped and killed a girl Carol Lyn Lum in 1978 who attended Basic High In Henderson, Las Vegas and 3 months later he asked a Basic High school Student if she wanted a ride and she said yea and he threatened her and raped and beat her and dumped her for dead but she was found alive and this Happened in 1979 but Gerri Ann Ralston died in 1975 and she Also attended Basic High School but I'm not sure if their connected or Not

Sources
Prisoner faces murder charge in 1978 slaying of Las Vegas teen

I-Team: Metro’s cold case homicide team solves 41-year-old murder; suspect found in prison for similar crime

1970 - 1979

Henderson Home News Newspaper Archives, May 27, 1975, p. 1

So I have been working with the family of Vickie Lynn Brekke happened on 05/08/1978 and I got the autopsy report. She was actually tortured before she was dumped, she had abrasions of all different kinds from her knees, upper tordo, stabs, head was kicked in, she was brutally murdered, nothing that the newspaper or anybody mentioned, as a matter of fact, there's a few suspects, but the police, nor the Detectives didn't make any effort Into the investigation. We believe there is more than one suspect because she had fingernail marks, bite marks, also she had a fractured nose, right eye was sunk in it was leaking, hole on left side of her skull, linear abrasions postmodemn across her chest, knee, and wrist. It was an attempt sexual assault. She had just drank two beers. The thing is, she didn't have shoes on, so she was somewhere comfortable, because it happened at 1am not at 5 PM like they thought. Only 15 yrs old. Any opinions help. Thank you everyone

So I have been working with the family of Vickie Lynn Brekke happened on 05/08/1978 and I got the autopsy report. She was actually tortured before she was dumped, she had abrasions of all different kinds from her knees, upper tordo, stabs, head was kicked in, she was brutally murdered, nothing that the newspaper or anybody mentioned, as a matter of fact, there's a few suspects, but the police, nor the Detectives didn't make any effort Into the investigation. We believe there is more than one suspect because she had fingernail marks, bite marks, also she had a fractured nose, right eye was sunk in it was leaking, hole on left side of her skull, linear abrasions postmodemn across her chest, knee, and wrist. It was an attempt sexual assault. She had just drank two beers. The thing is, she didn't have shoes on, so she was somewhere comfortable, because it happened at 1am not at 5 PM like they thought. Only 15 yrs old. Any opinions help. Thank you everyone
Sounds like something a group of teenagers including females, might engage in.
imo, speculation.

<modsnip>

Basically there are seven unsolved cases from 1971 to 1989 of girls aged 13-18 seemingly abducted off the streets, sexually assaulted, murdered, and disposed of in the nearby desert. If we exclude the one from 1989 the range narrows to six cases from 1971 to 1983.

I have not looked at the individual cases very closely, so not sure how similar they look.

I think it's just a question of probability. How likely is it that some of these cases are due to the same perpetrator or perpetrators?

Arguments for:

+ It seems to be a relatively high number of victims of that sort of stranger abduction killing in a city in the 300k-500k range over a decade. These cases of school girls being snatched off a street, raped, and killed, if that's what these are, are very rare and get a lot of attention when they do happen.

Arguments against:

- The argument for is so obvious that maybe we should assume LE has reason to believe the various cases are not connected.
- It's not THAT many, active serial killers can easily generate one victim every few months. This is much less than one a year depending on how you parse it.

Other considerations:

+/- Are there any missing girls from the area as opposed to just found deceased that could be added to the tally?
+/- If the count seems suggestive but too low for an active killer, it's possible there are victims in another jurisdiction.

<modsnip>

Here is the site I'm getting the cases from:
http://www.lvmpd.com/Sections/Homicide/CasesByYear/19701979/tabid/326/Default.aspx

Case #: 78-27590
Victim: Vickie Lynn Brekke
Suspect: Unknown
Location: East Lake Mead Blvd. approximately 6 miles east of Mt. Hood in the desert area.
Date: 5-8-1978

Synopsis:
On 5-7-1978 Vickie Lynn Brekke departed from her home at 3612 Braddock Street, North Las Vegas, NV to walk to a friend's house. She had called her friend and was to arrive around 5:30 pm. however she never arrived. On 5-8-78 her body was discovered in the desert area to the east of Sunrise Mountain. The autopsy revealed that Vickie had died as a result of strangulation. Vickie was a 15 yr. old WFJ.

Case #: 75-23324
Victim: Gerri Ann Ralston, 15 YOA
Location: Henderson Ponds, Pabco Rd. and Hollywood St, Clark County, NV
Date: May 22, 1975

Synopsis:
On May 21, 1975, Gerri was reported as a missing person to the Henderson (NV) Police department by her father. She was last seen in route to buy cigarettes at the Maverick Service Station on Boulder Highway. On May 22, 1975, Gerri&#8217;s body was found in the pond. She was still wearing the same clothing from the day she disappeared. The subsequent investigation determined that Gerri had been sexually assaulted and strangled. It appears her body had been disposed of at the recovery site in a effort to conceal it, the actual murder site was never located.

Case #:71-11701
Victim: Susan Rae Perron
Location: Desert area approximately 5 miles west of U.S. U.S. Highway 95 off of Lone Mountain Road
Date: Victim discovered on April 16, 1973

Synopsis:
On June 13, 1971 Susan Rae Perron (WFJ 14 yrs.) left her home to walk to Lorenzi Park to go swimming. It was not determined if she ever arrived at her destination. On April 16, 1973 the remains of a human skeleton was found in the desert area approximately 5 miles west of U.S. 95 Highway off of Lone Mountain Road. Through dental records it was determined that the skeletal remains were those of Susan Rae Perron. Cause of death was determined to be blunt trauma to the head.

Case #: 71-12531
Victim: Jody Marie Miller
Suspect: Uknown
Location: 150' northwest of the corner of Jones and Lone Mountain Blvd. in shallow grave in desert area.
Date: Body discovered on 11-2-1971

Synopsis:
Jody Marie Miller crawled through the bedroom window of her house on 6-21-71. She was reported as a missing juvenile and last seen by a female friend on 6-23-71. On 11-2-71 her remains were discovered wrapped in a blanket, lying in a shallow grave in the desert area approximately 150' nw of Jones and Lone Mountain. Jody was 13 yrs. old at the time of her disappearance.

Case #: 89-72494
Victim: Stephanie Anne Issacson, 14 YOA
Date: 6/1/1989

Synopsis:

Stephanie Issacson, a 14 year old Eldorado High School student, left for school at approximately 6:30 a.m., on foot. When Stephanie didn't return home after school her father became concerned. Her father contacted the high school and learned that Stephanie had never arrived. Her father then contacted her friends, they had not seen Stephanie all day. The Police Department was contacted and a missing person report was filed.
An organized search, of the route she normally walked, uncovered her body in a desert lot near Stewart and Linn. Stephanie had been sexually assaulted and strangled.

Case #: 83-26198
Victim: Catherine Tighe
Location: Desert area north of Indios and east of Mountain Vista, Las Vegas, NV
Date: Between 02-07-1983 and 03-02-1983

Synopsis:
The 17 yr. old victim was last seen at Chaparral High School on 2-7-83. On 3-2-83 the victim was discovered in the desert area near Indios and Twain, covered by debris. The parents of the victim had filed a missing persons report when Catherine failed to return home from school on the 7th. The coroner's office listed the cause of death as manual strangulation. No suspect has ever been identified.

And this last one is an outlier, she was a college student back home for the holidays rather than a school girl.

Case #: 83-91138
Victim: Diana Rae Hanson
Date: Between 12-30-1983 and 12-31-1983

Synopsis:
Diana R. Hanson, home for Christmas vacation from College, left her parent's home, 6400 block of Desert Inn, around 4:30 p.m., December 30, 1983 to participate in her daily jog. Diana never came home. Her parents reported her missing at approximately 6:00 p.m. On December 31, 1983, at approximately 10:00 a.m., a construction worker reported a dead body in the desert area near Spring Mountain and Buffalo.

Diana was identified by her parents. An extensive investigation was undertaken. It appears that the suspect abducted Diana somewhere along her route and drove her to the area where she was discovered. Diana was sexually assaulted and murdered. There were signs of a struggle in the immediate area and Diana's clothing was located near by. In spite of the extensive investigation no viable suspects have been identified.

During this five year period (1979-1983) the population of Las Vegas grew from 413,000 to 525,000. Seems to me five girls aged 13-15 and one aged 18 being abducted and killed in that period is unusually high. Also the girls tend to resemble one another, judging from the pictures. All white, almost all brunettes. (I'm not including the outlier case I mention in these observations.)

Deer God, I hope I'm wrong.

Just found out tonight that my father passed away sometime last year. We hadn't been in contact in years, for valid reasons. He had....wrong taste in his female companions. Like his 9-year-old step daughter. He was never found out. He thought he was dying a few years back and confessed to my sibling.

Apparently, Kim Bryant might have been my brothers babysitter, and she lived across the street. My "dad" was always teaching her how to play drums, with her on his lap.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

If I'm not, what should I do? How would I even find out if I'm wrong?

What I'm getting at: we don't know how many girls he used, nor if he ever crossed over to murder. We know our step-sister killed herself via suicide by cop a few years back, and there were many girls.

He was a up person. We didn't go to the cops, because we didn't have proof of anything he admitted to.

Helllo, I am in direct contact with the family in the Vickie Lynn Brekke case, if you would like to pick each others brain, I will love that. The detectives are useless right now, that's why I feel as if our input can help more

Hey! It's been a while since I've been on the site-- I didn't think anyone was still interested in these cases (including LV Metro, who refused to share any information with me), and I hit a deadend early on in my research. I would live to exchange info and share theories if you're still up to it.

Every single one of these cases breaks my heart and I hope some day the families can get some closure. Let's hope and stay vigilant. :)

Hi, I’m new to this group, I would love to talk to you about this case. I would tell you on here but, I don’t want you to think I’m crazy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back