Found Deceased NV - Noel Davis, 15, Reno, 1 Nov 1915

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for checking. You wouldn't happen to have access to newspapers.com, would you?

I found and submitted a potential match for Noel in Doe Network that wasn't listed in NamUs. I hope it's him. The facial reconstruction is very similar.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/692umut.html

• [*]The victim was discovered on December 7, 1998 in Webb Hill in St. George, Utah
    [*]Estimated Date of Death: Between 1914 - 1925
  • Skeletal Remains

• [*]Estimated age: 15.5 - 16.5 years old
      [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4 - 5'6"
      [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Mostly Caucasian with some Native features. Partially healed left hand fracture. A thirteenth right rib. A well-developed right arm showed extensive use and indicates he most likely was a heavy industry worker.
      [*]Dentals: Available. Tobacco staining on his teeth indicates he was a smoker or tobacco user.
      [*]DNA: Available

[*]Clothing: Clothing associated with remains include 2 shirts, a jacket, denim pants, Marshall field's boots, and three blankets. Boots and denim clothing date to the turn of the century. The number 816 is stamped on the inside cotton liner of the right boot.
    • The victim was located in the Webb Hill area of St.George, Utah, in a cave. His boots had low wear, suggesting he may have traveled by horse, rather than on foot. He had an active pulmonary infection at the time of his death, perhaps contributing to it. No personal possessions were found on his person, or around the site where he located. Local newspapers were combed for missing persons during that time period. None were found.

692UMUT1.jpg
692UMUT.jpg

The Wanda Davis who married in Reno in 1915 married Ora Don Billiter. The marriage license was granted June 16. Ora worked as a fireman on the railroad. They were married at the bride's home on Alameda Ave. Our Wanda was living on Spokane Ave in 1910, although they certainly could have moved.

Noel's parents, Eli and Nellie (nee Cox) were married in Reno Sept. 27 1894. They were both listed as "of Star Valley, Elko County, Nevada."

Nellie died after an unsuccessful operation March 4, 1919. Noel is listed as a survivor, although they might still have thought he was alive somewhere--or they might have known it for a fact.

Eli dies Jan. 14, 1944, in Richmond, California. I can see enough of the article to tell it's the right Eli, but not to read all of the survivors.

Regarding the deaths of Noel's mother and sister, in 1918-1919 there was a world wide flu pandemic. The West Coast of the U.S. was hard hit with the illness, especially the SF area, by September of 1918. Could they have died from the flu?

It's very possible that his sister did. One of the things which has puzzled researchers since the Spanish Flu epidemic is that the death toll was disproportionately high amongst the young and those in the prime of life. Normally flu kills the elderly and those with longterm health problems, especially respiratory diseases and compromised immune systems. It's fairly recently been discovered that the Spanish Flu killed so many young and healthy people because it wasn't actually the flu itself which killed them, but a massive over-reaction of their own immune system known as a cytokine storm.

Thanks for posting that, Tulessa.
I already received a reply:
"Thank you for the suggested match. I don't show any comparison of these having been done so I will have our panel look at it. If is proven to be a positive match, I will contact you further."

Sister Nellie died at age 14 of typhoid fever. Brother Glen died at age 37 when a building exploded and collapsed on him. He was a fireman.

Noel is listed as a survivor to both his parents. But no place is specified for him.

Sister Nellie died at age 14 of typhoid fever. Brother Glen died at age 37 when a building exploded and collapsed on him. He was a fireman.

Noel is listed as a survivor to both his parents. But no place is specified for him.

Do you know who had him entered into NamUs, by chance? I imagine his siblings are gone?

Noel was last seen November 01, 1915 at 14:56...that's such a specific time that it makes me think he caught a 3 pm train.

No idea who entered him into Namus; he was put in the system in 2014, so almost surely not a sibling.

Noel was last seen November 01, 1915 at 14:56...that's such a specific time that it makes me think he caught a 3 pm train.

No idea who entered him into Namus; he was put in the system in 2014, so almost surely not a sibling.

I noticed the time stamp, too, and thought train. I'm not a railroad historian, but the Overland Express went right through Reno to San Francisco. I'm not sure about other routes. There is train schedule on line that is close to that time period, but I didn't bookmark the site. If he had taken the train, I wish they had put that in his NamUs profile. If they knew the time of his departure, they must have known how he departed.

I wonder if there was an update on the DNA from the young man found in the cave in Utah...

I sent another inquiry to doe network but haven't heard back.

Email from NCMEC:

Noel Davis missing from Reno, NV, has been restricted. Please discontinue dissemination of this poster.

Please remove and discard any posters on this case that you have placed in public view.

We greatly appreciate your part in our efforts to reunite families.

Thank you for your support.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
www.missingkids.com

Sorry, that's the only info I have. I guess the DNA testing showed a match?

Sorry, that's the only info I have. I guess the DNA testing showed a match?
Thank you.
I wasn't sure if the removal of his poster was because it was such an old case (1915) or if he had matched to a set of remains.
I had submitted a match for him to Doe network last May. Though Rocky acknowledged that they would review it, I never heard back from them, even after follow ups.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*
Back