NV - Police fatally shoot man holding cell phone

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Admin Note:

Ha! I just removed and/or edited several posts suggesting what gets "these threads closed down". Let me make it very clear what prompts "these threads to get closed down": 99% of the time it is due to a lack of tolerance for differing points of view and the snarky, immature personal attacks directed toward fellow members. In short, these threads tend to become more about "right fighting" and less about determining the FACTS surrounding the incident.

ZERO tolerance for any further personal, snarky jabs directed toward any other poster. No more warnings. Time Outs will be issued.

We have many problems in our society but I'll start with the relations of LE with the citizens that they serve. The trust is gone. And in some cases I believe that excessive (lethal) force has been used when perhaps other methods would have had a more desired result.

IMO

So a blanket statement of problems? No specific WRT the topic we are discussing? Hard to address a blanket.

Funny, I trust citizens.
On lethal force. The law of the land is clear on UoF. Apparently some few in the public are unaware of that law or refuse to accept the way it has pretty much always been with that law.

If any have made a mistake either honestly or with intent and used the UoF law, they should be due processed. Any that have refused to abide by laws of society and have received UoF justifiably what is the issue?

That is how society works.

In this particular case I think the question is going to be impossible to answer unless the officers were wearing bodycams or a dashcam managed to catch the confrontation. Afaik there were no witnesses and I haven't heard about any videos from citizens yet. The timing and location makes me doubt there will be any. Maybe someone will come forward though.

But even if there is hard evidence showing it was unjustified... will there be a trial? A lawsuit? Accountability? Who knows.

JMO

Why do you use the word accountability?

In this particular case I think the question is going to be impossible to answer unless the officers were wearing bodycams or a dashcam managed to catch the confrontation. Afaik there were no witnesses and I haven't heard about any videos from citizens yet. The timing and location makes me doubt there will be any. Maybe someone will come forward though.

But even if there is hard evidence showing it was unjustified... will there be a trial? A lawsuit? Accountability? Who knows.

JMO

Fwiw, as stated earlier, I'm going to wait and see if the attempted murder charge is true or not - that will sway my ability to believe anything that was said about the actual shooting.

What happens or doesn't happen in these cases isn't up to me - nor do I pretend that it is. I do like to weigh in with an opinion though.

So a blanket statement of problems? No specific WRT the topic we are discussing? Hard to address a blanket.

Funny, I trust citizens.
On lethal force. The law of the land is clear on UoF. Apparently some few in the public are unaware of that law or refuse to accept the way it has pretty much always been with that law.

If any have made a mistake either honestly or with intent and used the UoF law, they should be due processed. Any that have refused to abide by laws of society and have received UoF justifiably what is the issue?

I couldn't go into great detail as this thread isn't meant for idle discussion on the many woes facing our society. I thought I was pretty clear on what seemed to me to be the issues between LE and citizens.
I have no problem with UoF if it's warranted.
I do think that just because it's the way it's always been doesn't mean that we can never make changes for the betterment of all.
IMO

Funny, I trust citizens.

BBM
Re the bold: Agree. In fact these threads should never be generalized because EACH case is unique. Please don't even attempt to respond to such broad generalizations. That is exactly how the focus shifts from the incident/crime itself into a pro/con law enforcement debate.

Random Admin Directive:

When focus of a discussion spirals from the quest for justice to lobbying personal agendas, they will be closed. If anyone feels passionately enough about an issue, each member has access to a personal blog feature. Feel free to express your feelings there, but keep it off the topical thread.

If this criminal is going to be given the benefit of the doubt then I think the LE officers deserve the same until more information is released JMO.

Are there ANY updates on this incident that happened in Nevada?

This thread needs to steer back ON TOPIC now. What are the FACTS that we know surrounding this case?

Are there ANY updates on this incident that happened in Nevada?

This thread needs to steer back ON TOPIC now. What are the FACTS that we know surrounding this case?

The officers' identities have been revealed but it happened on the 31st so it's been all holiday or all weekend. I'm not sure but I don't think there will be any official updates until mid-week. There might be more from his family, lawyer, and/or any witnesses.

Attempted murder charge:

Reinhart said while Childress’ crimes were serious, they never included a charge of attempted murder.
According to Maricopa County superior court records, a jury convicted Childress on 17 December of burglary, armed robbery, kidnapping, aggravated assault and theft.

Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement. Police said Childress was sought for attempted murder and other violent felonies in Arizona.
A spokesman for the suspect's attorney Brad Reinhart said Childress had been convicted in December of burglary, armed robbery, kidnapping, aggravated assault and theft in Maricopa County, Arizona, but never been accused of attempted murder.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/3047906...ad-by-police-who-thought-his-phone-was-a-gun/
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/02/las-vegas-police-shoot-kill-suspect-holding-cellphone

It's possible but is there any other indications in his record that may indicate this? Like, any stays in a facility or anything? Plausible theory.
This is from the 1st link on page one: Federal agents were tracking the suspect when he was shot in a residential neighborhood of Las Vegas at about 2 p.m. on Thursday, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement. Police said Childress was sought for attempted murder and other violent felonies in Arizona.
Then from the link I posted above a criminal may feel cornered and prefer death to prison. Some suicide by cops have nothing to do with mental issues. They just don't want to go to prison and would rather be dead. From what I read.

It's possible but is there any other indications in his record that may indicate this? Like, any stays in a facility or anything? Plausible theory.

I don't know what his sentence is/was, but being so young and looking at however many years locked up might be a trigger (no pun intended), especially if he was already vulnerable.

JMO

I'm always skeptical when they use the phrases "concealing the object" if it's something as innocent as a cell phone or pack of cigarettes. Knowing the stories in the news, I highly doubt ANY black man with a will to live will hide innocent objects anywhere on his person when LE is pointing guns at him. Are there independent witnesses corroborating that he refused to show his hands? I'll retract my statement if there are.

Oh but he was a criminal oh ok it's totes ok that he was shot while unarmed.

Maybe he didn't have the will to live :/ I hope we get updates soon. Sucks if this was what he felt was his only option.

The list from suicide.org says:

98 percent were male (check)
39 percent had a history of domestic violence (unknown?)
Many individuals abused alcohol and/or drugs (arrests, so probably)
Many individuals had a prior history of suicide attempts (unknown)
About 50 percent of the weapons used were loaded (no)
17 percent used a toy or replica gun (maybe?)

Suicidology list (I deleted the items for women):

1.95% were male
2. Mean age: 35 for men
3. 41% men were Caucasian, 26% Hispanic and 16% African American

7. 54% of men were unemployed
8. 29% of men did not have housing

10. 80% of men were armed – of these 60% possessed a firearm, (86% loaded), 26%possessed knives

12. 19% feigned or simulated weapon possession
13. 87% of individuals made suicidal communications prior and/or during the incident
14. 36% were under the influence of alcohol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retired Private Investiga
Back