Recovered/Located NV - Ronnie (found deceased) & Beverly Barker (taken for med care), RV trip, Stagecoach, 27 Mar 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The movie is great! (No plot spoilers) Some people have issues with seeing R-rated movies, so I'll tell you why it has one. There's a brief shot of Frances McDormand skinny-dipping in a hot spring. "Clean" nudity if there ever was! I also thought the movie was very uplifting, not depressing like some people described it.

Thanks for your review of “Nomadland” @airportwoman! :)

Nav. systems limitations? Hard Copy Maps?
Here is a Youtube video of the recovery of the car and the RV. You can see the terrain they were in. Its intense.
@Jinkasaurus Thanks for your post linking* 35 min. vid of recovery of Barker's RV & car (some days? after Mrs. Barker's recscue). Yes, frightening terrain,
Also frightening: ~17:15 + time mark shows two atlases** on RV console.:(

If Barker's nav. system was set to choose shortest routes, that explains why it guided them to a rugged gravel road, then dirt road.:eek: The RV eventually was stuck on what one recover-er described as a rock climbing trail.

A traveler previewing hard copy maps for RV routes an select major hwys/roads and ignores "blue highways" and jeep trails. Then later if nav. system guides driver onto narrow/gravel roads, driver can immediately take steps to return to suitable route.:)

Nav. system/paper map lesson or reminder for all of us. my2ct
** The spine of "2015 America's #1 Atlas" and "Rand McNally 2016 Best of the Road Atlas & Guide" on RV console between driver & passenger seats.

Last edited:
Nav. systems limitations? Hard Copy Maps?
@Jinkasaurus Thanks for your post linking* 35 min. vid of recovery of Barker's RV & car (some days? after Mrs. Barker's recscue). Yes, frightening terrain,
Also frightening: ~17:15 + time mark shows two atlases** on RV console.:(

If Barker's nav. system was set to choose shortest routes, that explains why it guided them to a rugged gravel road, then dirt road.:eek: The RV eventually was stuck on what one recover-er described as a rock climbing trail.

A traveler previewing hard copy maps for RV routes an select major hwys/roads and ignores "blue highways" and jeep trails. Then later if nav. system guides driver onto narrow/gravel roads, driver can immediately take steps to return to suitable route.:)

** The spine of "2015 America's #1 Atlas" and "Rand McNally 2016 Best of the Road Atlas & Guide" on RV console between driver & passenger seats.
After watching this, I am still dumbfounded. Is their actual route in the wilderness still unknown? The narrator seems to think he's on a different route than the one they took.

Some kind of disorientation other than poor GPS directions must have been involved. Driving west into the sunset on this elevated route?

I guess we'll never know why. But wow!

JMO

After watching this, I am still dumbfounded. Is their actual route in the wilderness still unknown? The narrator seems to think he's on a different route than the one they took.
Some kind of disorientation other than poor GPS directions must have been involved...
@WingsOverTX sbm
Q. "actual route ...still unknown?"
A. Imo narrator was referring to how car ended up where it was, where Mrs. Barker was rescued.

Q. "narrator seems to think he's on a different route than the one they took."
A. Iirc, after extricating RV, while crew was walking around to locate the car, I interp'ed narrator's comment as saying crew did not know, after detaching Barkers detached car from RV, how Barkers got car to that spot.
Iirc, he said RV & car were ~ 1/2 mile apart.

Last edited:
Over the years I've read similar stories with a variety of vehicle types from Jeeps to RV's with a common thread in them: Continuing to drive on despite worsening conditions and not knowing if the road/trail is passable, has a place to turn around, or backing out is possible.

The correct action in this situation usually is to STOP, walk the route to determine if it's passable to the next turn-around or backing spot. If not (or can't walk it due to injury or physical condition), either turn around, back out, or stay put -- Don't make it worse by trying to get lucky. Of course, it's just my opinion...

I had to learn this the hard way over 40 years ago after nearly getting stuck at the end of a tight and winding box canyon with steep walls. Spent all night moving a boulder by digging under it, then tipping it over with the truck bumper to make enough room for a zillion point turn-around. Since then, I've walked a lot of miles, especially driving larger 4WD trucks that are much harder to turn around or backup than my comparatively small 2-door Jeep.

Over the years I've read similar stories with a variety of vehicle types from Jeeps to RV's with a common thread in them: Continuing to drive on despite worsening conditions and not knowing if the road/trail is passable, has a place to turn around, or backing out is possible.

The correct action in this situation usually is to STOP, walk the route to determine if it's passable to the next turn-around or backing spot. If not (or can't walk it due to injury or physical condition), either turn around, back out, or stay put -- Don't make it worse by trying to get lucky. Of course, it's just my opinion...

I had to learn this the hard way over 40 years ago after nearly getting stuck at the end of a tight and winding box canyon with steep walls. Spent all night moving a boulder by digging under it, then tipping it over with the truck bumper to make enough room for a zillion point turn-around. Since then, I've walked a lot of miles, especially driving larger 4WD trucks that are much harder to turn around or backup than my comparatively small 2-door Jeep.

I don't think it has been mentioned, but by the time they had gone past the intended turn back to Highway 95 in the town of Silver Peak, it would have been getting dark and darker. My guess is that it was fully dark when they became stuck, and that may have been a contributing factor to the series of errors.

It's always better to STOP when you still have daylight and try to figure out where you are and where you are heading. Or when what you thought was going to be a paved road becomes a dirt road and you are driving a large heavy vehicle you need to STOP. STOP because you may sink into a sandy surface that is your vehicle cannot drive in. STOP because a rocky surface may cause a flat tire.

From the looks of the undercarriage of the RV where the spare tires are stored I don't see how Mr. Barker could possibly have changed any flat tire by himself, even on a pavement.

Even if it was a Sunday night and no one appeared to be around, when they were in the town or just beyond it, they could simply have stopped in their RV and tucked in for the night until someone came to work the next morning. They would surely have been able to find someone who could have given them the right route out or arranged for them to get to Tonopah for a tow truck.

Last edited:

Some kind of disorientation other than poor GPS directions must have been involved. Driving west into the sunset on this elevated route?

I guess we'll never know why. But wow!

JMO

It looks to me that the group in the video is getting to the vehicle from the northwest, via the segment of Coyote Road that the Barkers were trying to get to. The group does not appear to have entered the town of Silver Peak and followed their tracks. I do note that on the route the group took, there were multiple places on the road where an RV like the Barkers' could have turned around.

It's too bad they didn't have some more specific waypoints. I still don't know how far past the intersection in Silver Peak they actually drove before they became stuck.

Thank you for the video of the recovery. It was very enlightening to watch. I too am dumbfounded how someone can reach this level of danger and not just stop on the road. These poor people. I am sure they were so scared. RIP Mr. Barker.

And how very kind of the men and woman who helped in the recovery. I am sure they will never recover the cost of such an adventure, but how nice of them to do what no one else was willing to do. Off subject...I watched Diesel Dan work so hard to recover what he thought was Susan Powell remains. He has a heart of gold I think.

Speaking of “blue highways,” a friend gave us the delightful book “Blue Highways” as we left to go full-time RVing in December 2002. By that time, those formerly blue secondary highways were red on our atlas and paper maps and were still decent two-lane roads. With careful planning, we tried to stay on the “red roads” which went through small towns with neat parks where we could pull over and eat lunch. We meandered across and around the U.S. that way mostly. You miss all that on the interstates, but they are great for getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible, which is what Bev and Dave apparently were trying to do.

I’m not sure what color the road they ended up on was in their atlas…or if it was even there (probably not). That alone would have been a clue that an RV should not take that route. It looked horrible in the video. My heart breaks for them. It must have been so traumatic.

Even good maps are not fool proof. In April 1978, an aunt invited me to go on vacation out west with her. We went in her car. Everything went fine until we drove through Victor, Colorado. I had brought along a new Rand McNally Road Atlas in addition to whatever maps she had. We went from Cripple Creek through Victor. My Atlas showed a route out of Victor marked in yellow as a "scenic route." Thinking it was a main well-traveled route we took it. It started out as expected. A well maintained two lane road until we rounded a curve where it turned into a one lane dirt road on the side of a mountain with no guard rails and no way to turn around. Looking out the passenger window all I could see was open space with a drop thousands of feet down with seemingly no bottom. As we crawled along for what seemed like hours, we were passed by three or four cars driving fast coming from the direction we were headed. Fortunately, there was a slightly wider space where they passed us. It was getting dark by the time we got off, made a right turn, and further along found the route into Canon City. I've tried to find that road on maps and Google Maps recently with no success.

Even good maps are not fool proof. In April 1978, an aunt invited me to go on vacation out west with her. We went in her car. Everything went fine until we drove through Victor, Colorado. I had brought along a new Rand McNally Road Atlas in addition to whatever maps she had. We went from Cripple Creek through Victor. My Atlas showed a route out of Victor marked in yellow as a "scenic route." Thinking it was a main well-traveled route we took it. It started out as expected. A well maintained two lane road until we rounded a curve where it turned into a one lane dirt road on the side of a mountain with no guard rails and no way to turn around. Looking out the passenger window all I could see was open space with a drop thousands of feet down with seemingly no bottom. As we crawled along for what seemed like hours, we were passed by three or four cars driving fast coming from the direction we were headed. Fortunately, there was a slightly wider space where they passed us. It was getting dark by the time we got off, made a right turn, and further along found the route into Canon City. I've tried to find that road on maps and Google Maps recently with no success.

How frightening! I’m glad you survived. :eek: Welcome to Websleuths! :)

Phantom Canyon

Phantom Canyon Road, a scenic drive in Colorado

... In April 1978, ... Cripple Creek through Victor. My Atlas showed a route out of Victor marked in yellow as a "scenic route."... one lane dirt road on the side of a mountain with no guard rails and no way to turn around.... open space with a drop thousands of feet down with seemingly no bottom. As we crawled along for what seemed like hours,... I've tried to find that road on maps and Google Maps recently with no success.
@OddOneOut bbm sbm for focus Reading your post, I thought that sounded familiar, then recalled going along the same stretch, a couple years after you did. Even as a passenger, it was white knuckles all the way, except on a switchback/hairpin when I put my hands over my eyes.:eek:
@WingsOverTX Thanks for your link directing us to the right place.

These days even before leaving home, a trip planner can open Google Maps at the planned place of departure, click on the blue arrow (Editted: changed icon details here. Iiirc, vehicle icon or little yellow walking person), and move along all or any part of the planned route, to preview the road & roadside. (Walker icon can go 100 mph :D lol).
By doing this, we've rerouted to avoid some cities' dicey areas. And have been forewarned to fill the tank, in no-fuel-services available for a looong stretch.
When driving RV, esp'ly a new-to-driver RV, could also check planned routes for other safety concerns like grades, narrow bridges, elevation gain, switchbacks, etc. my2ct

Mr. Barker, RIP. Wishing a full recovery for Mrs. Barker.

Last edited:
No, I looked at this. It is not the same road. There was nothing on the right hand side of the road. On the left side was the mountain with nothing ever on the right side except open air. There were no tunnels or signs either. It appeared to be freshly cut along the side of the mountain. There wasn't even a weed or blade of grass along the road. It also doesn't go in the same direction. The map showed it going in an easterly direction. At the end of it, we made a right hand turn onto a road going south. We made a second right hand turn when we reached the highway to go to Canon City. I was the passenger. Once on that road, there was no where I could get out of the car at all until we reached the end of it. Phantom Canyon Road doesn't look anything like it.

Looks awful! Surprisingly, they don’t give any width or height restrictions for the tunnel, etc. When we drove Going-to-the-sun-road in Glacier NP, we knew that anything over 8’wide was prohibited, so we had to fold in the mirrors on our Chevy Silverado 2500 HD pickup truck. Needless to say, our 34’ fifth wheel stayed at the campground! :D

Looks awful! Surprisingly, they don’t give any width or height restrictions for the tunnel, etc. When we drove Going-to-the-sun-road in Glacier NP, we knew that anything over 8’wide was prohibited, so we had to fold in the mirrors on our Chevy Silverado 2500 HD pickup truck. Needless to say, our 34’ fifth wheel stayed at the campground! :D
I had to go and rest after watching the video. It made me motion sick. I haven't had that happen since I learned to drive.
After watching the video and thinking about it, I suspect that Phantom Canyon Road is the Scenic Route we intended to take. I think we must have made a wrong turn and ended up on a local road by mistake.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BanPokies1
Back