Recovered/Located NV - Ronnie (found deceased) & Beverly Barker (taken for med care), RV trip, Stagecoach, 27 Mar 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hopefully you know the RV was actually at 37.758920, -117.807700, and not at the coordinates Travis gave out. It was easy to figure out the locations of the RV and the Kia from Heavy D's recovery video. I verified both locations by driving to them on May 2. I'd love to know what information you wanted to pass to the family...

Nearly three months later, there are still many unanswered questions about this situation. Here are a few of them: List of questions

The family seems to have gone silent...a 180-degree turn from their endless Facebook posts during and immediately after the search and rescue/recovery. Not to mention their shrill (and as far as I can tell, baseless) accusations directed toward various Nevada officials.

For one thing, they've made inconsistent statements about when and where the missing persons report was filed. One of the relatives told me it was filed March 30, but did not say where it was filed. In the following article, Travis Peters states it was filed March 29 with the Oregon State Police. However, I've made a formal request and the OSP has no record of a missing persons report for the Barkers...

Article here

Or, perhaps I'm the only person still interested in this saga? ;)
I think the hesitancy to answer your very good list of questions is because of Ron's death. As if blame would have to attach to him or Beverly if a complete & accurate accounting was made. These are intelligent people IMO but things went badly awry.

I still don't understand why BB continues to say that following a dirt road toward those mountains seemed fine and logical, especially due to the time of day getting later as they headed into wilderness. It was not logical & resulted in disaster, no matter how their spiritual beliefs helped them cope.

All I can think of is that RB was already medically compromised in some way at that point in their journey. Instead of stopping somewhere safe to spend the night as it got late when they were near Silver Peak - as would be expected - due to their age, physical condition, daylight waning - he drove on into the desert on a dirt road in an RV?

This kind of questioning is considered victim blaming by some so I will stop.

I think all reasonable questions, such as yours, deserve reasonable answers. But this forum is not designed to pursue those questions & answers, unfortunately.

If the state of Nevada chose to pursue getting these answers, there might be some clarification (I doubt the counties involved would expend those resources). Absent that, I think the narratives given are all we will ever have.

The only thing I will add - on a personal note - is that being out West in the desert may have been a very foreign environment to them. In more environmentally hospitable places in the U.S., there is more margin for error. Many people move West thinking it will be like where they came from & it is a real challenge for them to live where deer eat your carefully cultivated roses that grew fine in Dallas, as one tiny example. When I left green East Texas for Colorado's Front Range, I had much to learn. Adapting was easy because I loved it out West though it was very unfamiliar to me. But I never tried to climb a 14er because that exceeded the skill set I had or was prepared to acquire. Nature is unforgiving in a place like rural Nevada. Fortunately, the price paid is not usually death.

JMHO

I think all reasonable questions, such as yours, deserve reasonable answers. But this forum is not designed to pursue those questions & answers, unfortunately.

If the state of Nevada chose to pursue getting these answers, there might be some clarification (I doubt the counties involved would expend those resources). Absent that, I think the narratives given are all we will ever have.
<modsnip>

With the possible exception of "Coalminer" (assuming they really are familiar with the area), I'm not sure anyone here understands just how far off the beaten path the vehicles ended up. The RV + toad was driven ~45 miles from the highway, over half the distance off pavement, and it would have taken hours to cover that distance.

"Forced through" would be a better description than "driven"; I've attached a few pics of the route. I'm rather skeptical they ended up out there per the narrative pushed by the family. That story has "more holes than swiss cheese." JMHO, of course.....

Attachments

• P5020185a.jpg
    P5020185a.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 41
  • P5020201a.jpg
    P5020201a.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 41
  • P5020004a.jpg
    P5020004a.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 39
  • P5020015a.jpg
    P5020015a.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 39
  • Barkers_ShortestRouteFromSP.JPG
    Barkers_ShortestRouteFromSP.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I believe the story we've been told.

A big issue we have in advanced society and in America in particular, is that we assume everything has been civilized, and it can get us into bad situations. We keep driving down a terrible dirt road because we assume that "SURELY the government or someone has built in an RV turnaround spot somewhere on this road", because that's what we expect out of a civilized society.

It's this same mindset that will cause millions of people to hop in their cars to evacuate for a hurricane and incorrectly assume that they will be able to buy water somewhere along the evacuation route or use a public bathroom. I was one of those millions of people. For the entire 19 hour trip there wasn't an open gas station/grocery store/restaurant to be found.

I felt particularly uncivilized as I drank from the 130ºF gallon of water that I'd brought for the dogs (it had been in the truck bed) and then even more so when I crawled into the back seat of my truck with 2 dogs and a rabbit and peed in a fountain drink cup while hoping that no one looked over while we all were stuck at an intersection for 6 hours.

Things have gotten so easy for us that we become complacent and don't always prepare the way we should.

At the very least a sign or something should be put up after the Alkali Rd intersection on 265 in Silver Lake warning drivers that there are no places to turn large rigs around up ahead. Or perhaps a better street sign for the correct turnoff than THIS one... 1656381416667.png

<modsnip>

With the possible exception of "Coalminer" (assuming they really are familiar with the area), I'm not sure anyone here understands just how far off the beaten path the vehicles ended up. The RV + toad was driven ~45 miles from the highway, over half the distance off pavement, and it would have taken hours to cover that distance.

"Forced through" would be a better description than "driven"; I've attached a few pics of the route. I'm rather skeptical they ended up out there per the narrative pushed by the family. That story has "more holes than swiss cheese." JMHO, of course.....

Respectfully, I think most of us who followed this tragedy closely are well aware of how far the vehicles went under conditions no RVer who was thinking clearly would tolerate. I used Google Earth to “fly” over the area after they were found, and I watched the recovery video with horror. As I’ve mentioned, my husband and I were full-time RVers for over eight years and I can’t imagine why they kept going unless they were mentally impaired for some reason. I’m sure any “holes” in the family story are to protect the Barkers from criticism and scorn, especially since one of them died and the other is no doubt traumatized along with the entire family. I hope that LE and SAR will review their response to see if there were any errors or communication gaps that need fixing. They may have done everything right, but it’s always good to look for ways to improve. This was a very difficult situation. May all involved find peace.
JMO

OCT 27

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) - A missing couple’s story sparked change in Nevada’s Silver Alert system.

Last spring a couple from Indiana road-tripping through Nevada went missing for a week and the 72-year-old man did not survive.

Ronnie and Bev Barker traveled through rural Nevada this March. GPS led them astray up a mountain in the area of Silver Peak. Their RV then got stuck in the mud.

More at Nevada’s Silver Alert changed following death of missing Indiana man

Personally I believe the story we've been told.

A big issue we have in advanced society and in America in particular, is that we assume everything has been civilized, and it can get us into bad situations. We keep driving down a terrible dirt road because we assume that "SURELY the government or someone has built in an RV turnaround spot somewhere on this road", because that's what we expect out of a civilized society.

It's this same mindset that will cause millions of people to hop in their cars to evacuate for a hurricane and incorrectly assume that they will be able to buy water somewhere along the evacuation route or use a public bathroom. I was one of those millions of people. For the entire 19 hour trip there wasn't an open gas station/grocery store/restaurant to be found.

I felt particularly uncivilized as I drank from the 130ºF gallon of water that I'd brought for the dogs (it had been in the truck bed) and then even more so when I crawled into the back seat of my truck with 2 dogs and a rabbit and peed in a fountain drink cup while hoping that no one looked over while we all were stuck at an intersection for 6 hours.

Things have gotten so easy for us that we become complacent and don't always prepare the way we should.

At the very least a sign or something should be put up after the Alkali Rd intersection on 265 in Silver Lake warning drivers that there are no places to turn large rigs around up ahead. Or perhaps a better street sign for the correct turnoff than THIS one... View attachment 351559
I believe the story happened as we have been told. As someone who has driven a very long RV while exploring very rural areas out west, twice I have found myself in spots where the road began deteriorating and got very narrow. I had to keep going for miles and miles because there was absolutely no place to turn around for a vehicle of that length.

We had two cell phones and no service. We had two different types of GPS and no service. The printed maps we were following gave no indication that the roads we were traveling were no longer maintained.

Trust me, it can happen.

I believe the story happened as we have been told. As someone who has driven a very long RV while exploring very rural areas out west, twice I have found myself in spots where the road began deteriorating and got very narrow. I had to keep going for miles and miles because there was absolutely no place to turn around for a vehicle of that length.

We had two cell phones and no service. We had two different types of GPS and no service. The printed maps we were following gave no indication that the roads we were traveling were no longer maintained.

Trust me, it can happen.
I'll bet that was pretty terrifying. By chance were either of your units similar to this satellite-based one?

I have a few close friends - one of whom is a fulltime RVer, and the other used to be, and both would not be without one of these especially in remote locations and they highly recommend them. I hope this post is not considered chatty or off topic, because both of those friends believe every RVer should have something similar and it's my hopes that someone may read this, not being familiar with them, and purchase one for themselves.

Last edited:

Trust me, it can happen.
How frightening! I'm glad you made it through those experiences all right.

Trust me, it can happen.
Add to this, even paper maps are not 100% accurate with regard to terrain and rural roads. Even in New England, there are roads on maps that in reality are power line access trails or roads that used to be roads, but deteriorated and are not used and have posted signs. It is also difficult to gauge how long it takes to go down these trails, as the going is slow, even with if you are in a 4x4 and prepared for wheeling.

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) - A missing couple’s story sparked change in Nevada’s Silver Alert system.
Last spring a couple from Indiana road-tripping through Nevada went missing for a week and the 72-year-old man did not survive.

Ronnie and Bev Barker traveled through rural Nevada this March. GPS led them astray up a mountain in the area of Silver Peak. Their RV then got stuck in the mud.

More at Nevada’s Silver Alert changed following death of missing Indiana man
I am completely in favor of changing Silver Alert rules to allow non-residents to be reported. But it is my firm opinion that a Silver Alert would not have helped these folks or changed the outcome in any way.

I have extensive experience traveling on rural, unpaved Nevada roads. I cannot begin to impress on someone from a more populated “civilized” area how rugged and remote the roads can be and how vast the area is. I have gone over this pass myself several times. They could never have turned the RV around. The pass they were traversing would actually have gotten them back on track eventually, if they didn’t get stuck in mud (imo, I haven’t read back over the whole thread, but I believe the road was muddy). So, I can understand their panic to just keep going forward because going back wasn’t really an option.

Please correct me if I am wrong about the mud, but the road is a complete mess when muddy and it would be hard to even turn a car around. An RV would just get stuck with no options.

People would come along in a day or two if it wasn’t muddy. Unfortunately, the road conditions not only stranded this couple, but also kept any others from finding them.

We have gone in pairs with two off-road vehicles (Jeeps) and had 3 flat tires on the same road in a weekend. We had full-size spares and fix-a-flat.

We have brought gas cans in our vehicles because you cannot get out and back to the nearest gas station on one tank of gas (not on this pass, but in some areas). Self-rescue and knowing the weather and road conditions is often the only way to prevent getting stuck and get out of there.

While extremely tragic, the state did nothing wrong. Finding these folks was like finding a needle in a haystack. The vastness is unfathomable. My deepest condolences to their family, but it’s unfortunate the family is still stating (in the MSM article about the Silver Alert above) the authorities should have done more when it was just not clear where to even begin to look. Declaring a Silver Alert earlier would not have changed the outcome. Imo

Edit: Duplicate post

This case reminds me a bit of James Kim’s case. The map James used didn’t tell the state of the road. Also, a sign was missing due to vandals. Such tragedy’s when a family gets in a situation like this.

I think this could would have been found if they had just stayed in the trailer where there was food, water, shelter.

He could have lit a fire which would have brought firefighters up there.

I think this could would have been found if they had just stayed in the trailer where there was food, water, shelter.

He could have lit a fire which would have brought firefighters up there.
I agree. It’s so hard to be patient and wait for rescue. I don’t think I could do it myself, so I sympathize.

I agree. It’s so hard to be patient and wait for rescue. I don’t think I could do it myself, so I sympathize.

I sympathize, too.

However, with night coming on, they would just have been better off staying put than trying to drive their tow vehicle out when they clearly couldn't see the road well and made a bad turn onto a very minor spur road where they got stuck.

I sympathize, too.

However, with night coming on, they would just have been better off staying put than trying to drive their tow vehicle out when they clearly couldn't see the road well and made a bad turn onto a very minor spur road where they got stuck.
Yes, it was a tragic mistake. If they had a good high-clearance, off-road vehicle, the road may still have been too muddy to safely drive. But they did not seem physically capable of getting even the small vehicle out of mud (imo, but it may also take wood planks and other supplies they didn’t have). So sad.

Nevada's Silver Alert policy changed after elderly couple went missing, husband died​

RENO, Nev. (News 4 & Fox 11) — After an Indiana man died in rural Nevada earlier this year, the state has now changed the way it issues Silver Alerts for missing elderly people.

Assemblywoman Hansen contacted the Legislative Council Bureau to get the Department of Public Safety policy changed.

"It was taken care of, at a big price, but that the Barker family should know that their loss has not been in vain and that they are bringing this to our attention will help others hopefully in the future," said Hansen.

The Department of Public Safety's Records, Communications and Compliance Division did not have anyone available for an interview with News 4 or respond to our many questions. In an email, a spokeswoman said it "updated policies to allow non-residents to be included in the Silver Alert system. The policies now mirror the requirements set forth in Nevada Administrative Code 427A, which does not include the residency requirement."

The Barker family said the change is bittersweet news. They hope their loss, that helped change the Silver Alert system, will prevent another death.

Nevada's Silver Alert policy changed after elderly couple went missing, husband died​

RENO, Nev. (News 4 & Fox 11) — After an Indiana man died in rural Nevada earlier this year, the state has now changed the way it issues Silver Alerts for missing elderly people.

Assemblywoman Hansen contacted the Legislative Council Bureau to get the Department of Public Safety policy changed.

"It was taken care of, at a big price, but that the Barker family should know that their loss has not been in vain and that they are bringing this to our attention will help others hopefully in the future," said Hansen.

The Department of Public Safety's Records, Communications and Compliance Division did not have anyone available for an interview with News 4 or respond to our many questions. In an email, a spokeswoman said it "updated policies to allow non-residents to be included in the Silver Alert system. The policies now mirror the requirements set forth in Nevada Administrative Code 427A, which does not include the residency requirement."

The Barker family said the change is bittersweet news. They hope their loss, that helped change the Silver Alert system, will prevent another death.
As we posted just upthread, I think the change in the law is a good one, but almost certainly would not have saved this gentleman. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro
Back