NV NV - Steven Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Agreed on the folder. I think the visit to the Las Vegas was job related. We know he was struggling financially. We also know he was doing a good deal of travel the weeks prior to his disappearance (randomly visiting an ex girlfriend's parents hours away from home). I think he had a temporary job that required travel. Perhaps as a courier, messenger, drug mule? Maybe he saw something he shouldn't. Just a theory.
I never really got the suicide vibe here so really the only motivation I see in his situation to do this travel and wind up in a random community in NV is for financial gain.

The problem is that it is a needle in a haystack, a job could have been offered virtually anywhere online and also from people he knew or even just met.

With no clues or leads in nearly 7 years, it's hard to say one way or another what happened to Steven, but I think he either took a job of some sort either via the Internet or through someone he knew personally in Utah.

Any updates on this? Steven where are you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's over a year old now, but here's an article where the family discusses the volunteer search effort that occurred in 2015.

http://davisclipper.com/bookmark/26...-for-clues-in-man-s-mysterious-disappearance

Unfortunately, the search yielded nothing. The search was done with the notion that Steven may have went off to an area adjacent to the community, so they checked there.

Interestingly enough it's mentioned the group has taken another look at Steven's emails, phone logs etc as well.

In this article, the search efforts are explained a bit further.

http://fox13now.com/2015/05/15/new-...ing-since-2009-sparks-renewed-search-effort/

“The theory that we have this time as we start our search is the subject decided to go high, and go a little bit higher into the mountains,” Niziolek said. “We’re going to be sending out five different teams, and we’re going to follow the wash.”

While I am glad a team took the time to do this, I couldn't disagree more with their theory. They state they think Steven "decided" to go to this area next to the community, as if they are likely taking the angle he went there and took his own life.

But this completely ignores the fact his phone pinged north of that area in a few close residential areas. It also doesn't seem to consider the timing of his arrival, the lack of hesitation while walking in an unfamiliar neighborhood, and why he would have taken a folder with him to walk into an area like that.

Again, I commend the efforts but I definitely don't think he walked through that community into a desolate area and took his own life. Murdered, maybe but still that leaves the question of the phone activity much further away from that area.

We obviously don't know if the cell phone pings are indicative of Steven's travel, but surely it should be considered and that certainly is away from the search area.

In the first article one of the family members makes an interesting point:

“Are we asking the right questions?” said Dallin Koecher. “One thing that I keep coming back to is that it seems all the phone calls (Steven made) were accounted for. It must have been someone who knew him who told him to go to that area.”

Now, Steven has never struck me as the kind of guy who had a separate "burner" phone with him to mask his illegal activities. I think with the phone logs being accounted for, it means whatever led him to this area was conducted in a way without a phone, whether that means over a computer or in person.

It seems like the family understands that and seems to think someone he personally knew sent him to Nevada. At this point, I think I agree.

Had this been legitimate, perhaps someone would have came forward and said "Yeah, I sent Steven there for a job. Something must have went horribly wrong." But obviously if this was something illegal, no one is going to involve themselves in that.

Obviously these were older articles, but worth a look if you missed them.

Someone on Reddit a while back claiming to be relayed to Steven posted quite a bit about this case. Will find a link and post here ASAP.

But he implied that Steven may have been involved with a new, unsavoury character(s) around the time of his disappearance.

Will find those posts and link to them here. But I believe that is the key to solving this mystery.

If I recall correctly, Steven's cousin has posted here and perhaps other forums. There's been a few topics in reddit about it, but I'll have to look them over again.

I believe one of the more prominent threads on Reddit was from a reporter, who worked on the story and knew the family somehow. He mentioned Steven's landlord was under federal indictment at the time but never really gave his full personal theory on it. Definitely some interesting points there...

If I recall correctly, Steven's cousin has posted here and perhaps other forums. There's been a few topics in reddit about it, but I'll have to look them over again.

I believe one of the more prominent threads on Reddit was from a reporter, who worked on the story and knew the family somehow. He mentioned Steven's landlord was under federal indictment at the time but never really gave his full personal theory on it. Definitely some interesting points there...

Definitely worth having a look at that stuff again. I find it highly unlikely Steven took his own life or fled (if nothing else, the gifts in his car suggest this).

I think he was dragooned into doing something questionable for money towards the end. What that could be is anyone guess.

I find it highly unlikely Steven took his own life or fled (if nothing else, the gifts in his car suggest this).

Excellent point and I think people overlook the gifts in the car a lot in this case.

People buy gifts intending to give them to specific recipients. There isn't some grand conspiracy here, he bought gifts to give to his family for Christmas. He never made it back to do so. Obviously something prevented him from doing that.

Had he fled to start a new life (or even committed suicide) I believe he would have left a note in the car to at least explain a few things to his family and offered up the gifts to them.

That aspect of it really seems to spell out there was some loose ends on Steven's part. I think by all means he intended to return to Utah.

Excellent point and I think people overlook the gifts in the car a lot in this case.

People buy gifts intending to give them to specific recipients. There isn't some grand conspiracy here, he bought gifts to give to his family for Christmas. He never made it back to do so. Obviously something prevented him from doing that.

Had he fled to start a new life (or even committed suicide) I believe he would have left a note in the car to at least explain a few things to his family and offered up the gifts to them.

That aspect of it really seems to spell out there was some loose ends on Steven's part. I think by all means he intended to return to Utah.

The gifts are so important in this case. They really do give a glimpse into his thinking. And the fact that he bought them despite being challenged financially just makes him seem like such a likeable solid awesome dude with the right priorities.

What do we know about the unsavoury characters he'd been consorting with before he disappeared? Has anyone given any hints re: them and their exploits?

The obvious scenario is: Steven, in desperation, got involved in some kind of drug distribution.

But my instinct would be that he did so naively, perhaps not knowing the full extent of what he was getting into.

But the thought that someone killed him and is currently free pisses me off deeply.

I don't recall anything specific about unsavory people he knew.

Though, a few people he knew have been looked at in various forums. Like mentioned on Reddit, the landlord was facing federal charges. His former roommate supposedly had a troubled past, but moved out months prior.

Also, one of his church friends called while Steven was in Nevada, asking him for help with something church related. Steven said he was currently in the Vegas area and would leave if needed but he was told in that case it wasn't necessary.

At first glance it doesn't seem all that suspicious, but I've always found it odd the friend never inquired why he was in Vegas. Steven's a church going guy, you'd think a fellow church friend would wonder what he's doing around Sin City....plus, he was one of the last people to speak to Steven, so there's that part, too.

The points that you make are spot on. I think they did that search because some time ago somebody posted a theory that perhaps he went to the interview and either found out immediately it was illegal and walked out or it was a legitimate job interview, but the interview went poorly. With either scenario, it was suggested that he walked into the desert due to depression and prayed and succumbed to the elements. I'm not too sure which thread and/or website that was posted.

The points that you make are spot on. I think they did that search because some time ago somebody posted a theory that perhaps he went to the interview and either found out immediately it was illegal and walked out or it was a legitimate job interview, but the interview went poorly. With either scenario, it was suggested that he walked into the desert due to depression and prayed and succumbed to the elements. I'm not too sure which thread and/or website that was posted.
Thanks for sharing. I never heard that before and it makes a little more sense then just simply driving there with the intention of dumping the car and walking to a desolate area to commit suicide.

Had this been a legitimate endeavor, I would think the homeowner would have come forward. However, I think if he was going there for a job it most likely turned out illegal or shady. Now, if someone was recruiting you to say, move drugs for them, I doubt "no" would be a viable answer now that it has just been learned that this person is seeking a mule to unload his drug stash.

After confiding in a stranger that they are seeking help for a blatantly illegal operation, the fear of this recruit going to police is real and I doubt that's a chance any criminal is going to take.

And it doesn't necessarily have to be selling drugs, maybe it was a situation where a dealer wanted a rival dealer killed, so he tried to hire someone not connected with him at a rock bottom price and had the offer declined.

It definitely would be devastating for Steven to go there and have an opportunity not work out, given the time and money spent to travel there. But would beg the question in that situation: How would he kill himself? How did he manage to hide his own body?

It's a sad case, and no matter what angle you take there are a lot of unanswered questions.

I just can't imagine someone like Stephen (considering his beliefs, background and testimonies from his loved ones) going anywhere near a drug-related situation. At least not knowingly.

I need to review the cctv footage again. Perhaps something in his bearing and body language reveals his mindset at that time...

I know there's a lot of speculation that Steven may have been in that neighborhood for a job interview, but has it ever been considered that he might have been there for something faith related? Maybe he was there to attend something related to LDS, like a study group or home visit?

I know there's a lot of speculation that Steven may have been in that neighborhood for a job interview, but has it ever been considered that he might have been there for something faith related? Maybe he was there to attend something related to LDS, like a study group or home visit?
That's certainly reasonable.

I think with cases like this where people go missing for long periods - we automatically assume the worst: murder, suicide etc...simply because they are gone with no plausible explanation.

He definitely could have spent a portion of his trip doing faith related things in the UT/NV area but then one has to wonder...home come no one from church knew of this?

Ultimately, I think whatever brought him to that specific neighborhood where he left his car and went on foot....I think if there was any sort of legitimate meeting, someone would have came forward and explained that aspect of it...unless of course, they didn't personally know Steven or he didn't make it to the house.

What do we know about the landlord? It's been alluded to that he has an extensive criminal past. And Steven owed him money. So the more we know, the better.

I keep thinking of Jeffrey Dahmer, how he lured his victims to his home. I have no reason to think SK was gay, but it could still be a possible similar situation involving a psychopathic murderer or even a serial killer luring him to their home or elsewhere. Israel Keyes was still alive then wasn't he? Or maybe this already been mentioned.

What do we know about the landlord? It's been alluded to that he has an extensive criminal past. And Steven owed him money. So the more we know, the better.

I wish we knew more about him. One of the early reddit threads seems to allude to a shady past. Obviously he wanted to recoup his late rent, so could that entail sending Steven to LV for a blatantly illegal job opportunity?

There was an article from last year, I think shortly after the 2015 search. One of Steven's family members went on to say something to the effect of how they checked his phone logs, and everything was accounted for...they went on to speculate that he had to be sent there by someone he knew personally, based on the lack of leads his phone bill yielded.

I linked to that article in a previous post a few days back.

There's quite an interesting map someone made with Google Maps in relation to the cell phone pings time and location. Unfortunately, ping data seem to be vague at times so it's not totally complete in all aspects, but interesting nonetheless to check out on Google Maps.

Around 9 am on 12.13.2009 he speaks to his church pal Greg Webb for a few minutes. He's close to the Sun City community at this point, but it's obviously unknown what he does in a few hours prior to him parking at the dead end cul de sac at 12 noon that day.

As we all know he walks away from his car and never seen again and he never returns to the car.

Next there is short call or even a text to or from Travis, his window washing boss in Utah around 4 pm that day. At this point he's much further north east away from where he left the car. Not sure the exact distance but if he walked it looks to be quite a distance.

Another ping around 7 pm that day around the same general area as well.

Now, the next day, 12.14.09 at 6:04 am there's another ping in that area. It's either an extremely brief call or text to or from his landlord.

Why on earth would they be communicating with each other so early? If I recall correctly they both addressed the issue of back rent, so there's some mutual understanding about it prior to that. The landlord even reached out to Steven's parents, which is odd to me as he was 30 years old at the time.

There was never any indication that Steven was friends or close with his landlord, so the timing of that call is quite unusual to me. I believe there was another call or text to or from the landlord the prior day, December 13th, as well.

To call that time of day is incredibly odd to me...

Something "LDS related" isn't likely, in my book. He was missing church to be there -it just doesn't add up to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back