NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He can take the credit for solving this case. I don't believe any of us have any motive in taking the credit, but a priority in finding SK. We have some really sharp thinking folks on WS, and we can be of some assistance.

You make a great point though. It's sad to realize that this may be the case.

I agree. I'm not looking for credit - just for Steven - like everyone here. I don't know if the PI has ever been here or what he would think about it. But there's lots of good info in the timeline and discussed on the threads - since the beginning.

Wish we could find Steven.

I wonder why a vigil was never planned.

Ok, since things slowed down I read the timeline backwards until I saw enough to figure something out. What a great timeline.

These are my impressions on it.

Steven took the opportunity of getting $100 in hand to go visit AN. I believe he had something important he wanted to discuss with her, and it involved being in Vegas (Henderson) or his plans for the future involving a big step like moving there and discussing with her. Yet he didn't call ahead and arrange the visit. I think he wanted to see her in person first before deciding whether to discuss.

Although I'm East Coast, I've driven I-80 across including Salt Lake City to Sacramento. I believe he told AN's family he was on his way to Sacramento so as not to embarrass himself and/or hurt AN's feelings by driving all the way there unannounced and she wasn't home.

I thought it was odd that he was home for 30 minutes and then left again, but then I saw the time of his drive to Ruby Valley, leaving at 2:15 am. Not odd at all, was continuation of his pattern from a few nights earlier. He was driving to Vegas this time.

Most significant thing I saw was, unless timeline is misleading, declined to call a basketball game scheduled three days later saying he was in Vegas. He clearly wasn't planning on heading back home in next three days, but was planning on returning for Christmas, maybe even for next weekend. He had pillows and blankets, shaving kit. I think he was determined to find a job there. That's what I was doing driving on I-80 that time. I was packed same way. Many years ago though.

I think those series of calls, landlord to parents, mother to son and telling him she was depositing money, and father to son where he hung up, made him determined to find a job, and you go to the big city to do that. Been there, done that, many times, many cities.

Steven would have been in Vegas early morning. I feel he got the SCA area address and directions that morning. If no directions found in his car, and I haven't seen any description of it, must have been carrying it when he walked away up the street.

The voice mail call late that night / early Monday morning is the most ominous. That I feel is a fairly common practice, if common can be used here for such horrendous *advertiser censored* sapien behavior, by a murderer who makes a victim disappear to make it appear the victim is running away, to establish doubt that they are still there after they're dead and wanting to know who is checking on them, when in fact it is the murderer doing so.

In one of my down and out days looking for work as a programmer many years ago, I answered a small ad in the Atlanta paper in the computer section. It was an address, and I drove to it, but turned out to be a house in a somewhat commercial industrialized area in Marietta. I thought it was a small software startup, which is where I got most of my work in those days, but there was only one guy there. He was too big around to fit in a cockpit but was telling me he used to be a test pilot for Lockheed and, I don't know, I think said he was a pilot for Middle Eastern sheiks and in general I think used the ad to lure young men to his house. He then said he would be back, disappeared for awhile, and I got the heck out of there.

If Steven parked where he did and walked back to the street and up the street, I think he had an address he was going to on that street. However, the murderer isn't going to have the victim park the car down the street from his house, much less leave it there, so I think the address was one known to be vacant and the murderer was waiting inside or in a vehicle outside at the appointment time. Was the vehicle whose windows his reflection could be seen in recognized by security camera owner or others in neighborhood? That would be where a murderer would park, at end of street by cul-de-sac to wait for the victim to park and walk by.

My guess is by same token that murderer would not want communications record, phone call or email, so talked to him in person sometime that morning. Where would Steven go looking for work in Vegas on Sunday morning, and why Sunday? Or had he possibly been given those directions earlier, as much as a week earlier, to feel like like he would be in Vegas for awhile?

rd

This may be a given, but somebody please tell me that the PI would have done background checks on the residents on SS and EL.

This may be a given, but somebody please tell me that the PI would have done background checks on the residents on SS and EL.

I'm sure....but where do you stop with that?

We see Steven about 100 feet north on Evening Lights Ave, but he could have been heading to over half the addresses in that subdivision.

Unless the PI has ONE target address in mind as Steven's destination, he's going to have to check out nearly everyone in Overlook Village...and the surrounding hills. That's thousands of potential background checks.

It's easy for us to focus on the one street, a few names in early news reports, and on some publicly-available items.

I think the "big elephant" might just be this: whatever happened, will turn out to be linked to something we're not aware of.

I love posts like these. Lots to chew on back and forth.

Ok, since things slowed down I read the timeline backwards until I saw enough to figure something out. What a great timeline.

These are my impressions on it.

Steven took the opportunity of getting $100 in hand to go visit AN. I believe he had something important he wanted to discuss with her, and it involved being in Vegas (Henderson) or his plans for the future involving a big step like moving there and discussing with her. Yet he didn't call ahead and arrange the visit. I think he wanted to see her in person first before deciding whether to discuss.

I think he actually did make contact with AN before he went. Steven's mother told some folks at the search that AN's parents mentioned "change of plans" for why she wasn't there. (This takes me back to the "polite brush-off/PBO theory: AN lives/works in SLC and Steven contacts her. He wants to see her, and she says "I'm sorry, I'll be at the ranch" as the PBO. When Steven gets there, he finds out that she'd never intended to be there then.)

Why do I think that? Because her parents were surprised by his visit. It wouldn't be a surprise, if her parents were aware that *she* was going to be there and a friend just happened to drop by.

If she really had plans to be there, she'd have let him know about a change of plans.

Although I'm East Coast, I've driven I-80 across including Salt Lake City to Sacramento. I believe he told AN's family he was on his way to Sacramento so as not to embarrass himself and/or hurt AN's feelings by driving all the way there unannounced and she wasn't home.

Absolutely. Of course, being that her home is actually in SLC (where she works), it would have been odd that she'd be in Ruby Valley mid-week -- wouldn't it?

I thought it was odd that he was home for 30 minutes and then left again, but then I saw the time of his drive to Ruby Valley, leaving at 2:15 am. Not odd at all, was continuation of his pattern from a few nights earlier. He was driving to Vegas this time.

The 2:15am MST is the latest he could have left, to get to Ruby Valley by 11:00am PST. We don't know when he left.

Most significant thing I saw was, unless timeline is misleading, declined to call a basketball game scheduled three days later saying he was in Vegas.

Maybe it's misleading, I don't know. I need to find a way to word it better, while keeping the "event" short and concise?

Steven was scheduled to make some announcements in church, in just a few hours. One of those announcements included the fact that the FIRST ward basketball game would be the next Wednesday night. SK told SA that he couldn't make the announcements because he was in Vegas. SA then asked SK if he was going to be at the game, and SK said no.

The thing is: Although SK had helped with a summer Junior Jazz camp (obviously in SLC), SK wasn't a basketball player. He golfed a bit, and loved water sports. It wouldn't be unusual for him to not be in line for a start-up ward basketball game.

He clearly wasn't planning on heading back home in next three days, but was planning on returning for Christmas, maybe even for next weekend. He had pillows and blankets, shaving kit. I think he was determined to find a job there. That's what I was doing driving on I-80 that time. I was packed same way. Many years ago though.

I think those series of calls, landlord to parents, mother to son and telling him she was depositing money, and father to son where he hung up, made him determined to find a job, and you go to the big city to do that. Been there, done that, many times, many cities.

I agree...but I can't figure out why (if he really did plan to be gone for that long), he didn't take his computer, his cellphone charger, a change of clothes.
How would you find a job, if you're living out of your car and can't even put on clean clothing? What good does a shaving kit do you?
If there was a receipt from a C-store/gas station in the Vegas area, I could see him perhaps going into the rest room and shaving.

Steven would have been in Vegas early morning. I feel he got the SCA area address and directions that morning. If no directions found in his car, and I haven't seen any description of it, must have been carrying it when he walked away up the street.

The voice mail call late that night / early Monday morning is the most ominous. That I feel is a fairly common practice, if common can be used here for such horrendous *advertiser censored* sapien behavior, by a murderer who makes a victim disappear to make it appear the victim is running away, to establish doubt that they are still there after they're dead and wanting to know who is checking on them, when in fact it is the murderer doing so.

In one of my down and out days looking for work as a programmer many years ago, I answered a small ad in the Atlanta paper in the computer section. It was an address, and I drove to it, but turned out to be a house in a somewhat commercial industrialized area in Marietta. I thought it was a small software startup, which is where I got most of my work in those days, but there was only one guy there. He was too big around to fit in a cockpit but was telling me he used to be a test pilot for Lockheed and, I don't know, I think said he was a pilot for Middle Eastern sheiks and in general I think used the ad to lure young men to his house. He then said he would be back, disappeared for awhile, and I got the heck out of there.

If Steven parked where he did and walked back to the street and up the street, I think he had an address he was going to on that street. However, the murderer isn't going to have the victim park the car down the street from his house, much less leave it there, so I think the address was one known to be vacant and the murderer was waiting inside or in a vehicle outside at the appointment time. Was the vehicle whose windows his reflection could be seen in recognized by security camera owner or others in neighborhood? That would be where a murderer would park, at end of street by cul-de-sac to wait for the victim to park and walk by.

My guess is by same token that murderer would not want communications record, phone call or email, so talked to him in person sometime that morning. Where would Steven go looking for work in Vegas on Sunday morning, and why Sunday? Or had he possibly been given those directions earlier, as much as a week earlier, to feel like like he would be in Vegas for awhile?

rd

What I don't understand about "met up with a murderer" theories, and yours makes good sense, is this: WHO inside SCA would have been so crafty as to secretly lure a man from 120+ miles away, make him disappear, without a trace? That's the work of someone who's experienced at that kind of thing.

All I can think of, is that he was asked to meet someone so they could "go talk to someone else and by the way, leave your car right there so it'll be undisturbed for awhile."

a couple of quick comments, laytonian.

The 2:15am MST is the latest he could have left, to get to Ruby Valley by 11:00am PST. We don't know when he left.

The exact time wasn't a point for me, just that he was starting out at night. Leaving his room at 10:30 pm Saturday night is similar.

Maybe it's misleading, I don't know. I need to find a way to word it better, while keeping the "event" short and concise?

It would depend on context, then, whether Steven was continuing to cite being in Vegas to say he wasn't attending the basketball game (I thought there was him calling the game involved in this or something) or just wasn't planning on attending. I suppose that context was not made clear. If he was not planning on returnig right away, some would say was never planning on returning, and those who would say that probably would cite perhaps brushoff from AN as the last straw for a reason.

I would say if he really wanted to disappear then it's his business, between him and his family. Obviously I think he was lured there and we need to be looking for a murderer though.

I agree...but I can't figure out why (if he really did plan to be gone for that long), he didn't take his computer, his cellphone charger, a change of clothes.
How would you find a job, if you're living out of your car and can't even put on clean clothing? What good does a shaving kit do you?

The cell phone charger and laptop would be because he wasn't planning on having electric power available. He would have to keep cell phone off except when making calls. Shaving kit (toothbrush, etc.) can be used in travel friendly rest stops. No change of clothing however would indicate he was returning same day however, so ambiguous context of declining participation three days in advance would swing to declining for other reasons than being in Vegas. I'm surprised at no change of clothing.

I'll read rest of your post tonight. thanks laytonian.

rd

a couple of quick comments, laytonian.

It would depend on context, then, whether Steven was continuing to cite being in Vegas to say he wasn't attending the basketball game (I thought there was him calling the game involved in this or something) or just wasn't planning on attending. I suppose that context was not made clear.

SK's only responsibility regarding basketball was to announce on Sunday that there would be a "church ball" game on Wednesday evening

I've rephrased it on the timeline, and (as always) there's a link to SA's clarification.

When I was doing some poking around earlier in the investigation, I discovered that there are quite a number of business licenses registered to the addresses on Savannah and Evening Lights -- the house he parked in front of is a mortgage services company, there's a software company, and one that appeared to be a woman doing EBay buying and selling. So an interview in the area is plausible, though I still have my doubts he would be doing that on a Sunday. But home-based businesses often need to do business at odd times, so possibly.

When I was doing some poking around earlier in the investigation, I discovered that there are quite a number of business licenses registered to the addresses on Savannah and Evening Lights -- the house he parked in front of is a mortgage services company, there's a software company, and one that appeared to be a woman doing EBay buying and selling. So an interview in the area is plausible, though I still have my doubts he would be doing that on a Sunday. But home-based businesses often need to do business at odd times, so possibly.

Were you able to see what the eBay woman was selling?
Anything that needed to be handcarried to the buyer, rather than mailed?

For instance, a car seller (chop shop owner?) may need to have a car driven to another state.

Steven had an eBay account, but I have been unable to obtain his eBay ID.
When I first asked, it would have been within eBay search limits to see his buy/sell activity.
Now, all that could be seen without a subpoena/warrant, would be feedback.

Somebody knows something. Unless this is a case of a seasoned killer somebody had to notice odd behavior coming from a friend, or family member. Somebody is protecting this person.

If it's a suicide than where is SK's body?

This is my question! If Steven came here specifically to end his life - which doesn't make sense to me anyway - why hasn't he been found? He didn't bury himself. And what was his method? Gun doesn't sound like Steven. Overdose? Death by hypothermia? Wouldn't it make more sense to go north for that rather than south?

Steven's Mom is confident Steven would not have missed church to go for a job interview on a Sunday - even in light of his circumstances. If not for a job prospect - and a serious one - what other task would possibly take him from his responsibilities?

This is my question! If Steven came here specifically to end his life - which doesn't make sense to me anyway - why hasn't he been found? He didn't bury himself. And what was his method? Gun doesn't sound like Steven. Overdose? Death by hypothermia? Wouldn't it make more sense to go north for that rather than south?

Steven's Mom is confident Steven would not have missed church to go for a job interview on a Sunday - even in light of his circumstances. If not for a job prospect - and a serious one - what other task would possibly take him from his responsibilities?
bbm

I respectfully have to disagree. I think he very well could have.

bbm

I respectfully have to disagree. I think he very well could have.

Of course, you could be right. But whatever it was, it seems it was all arranged in such a secretive manner. Why? Would Steven really have been so gullible as to believe that was normal and legitimate.

His Bishop had told him he would help him find work come the first of the year. His family had tried to help him. I understand pride, but it seems the urgency was removed from his dire financial situation. So what would have him take off to meet someone (secretly) in Henderson, on a Sunday when he should have been elsewhere? And WHY is there NO trail of it, whatsoever?

But Steven's parents also know his two main goals (per the writings in his own diary) were a job and a wife. Why discount either?

I really don't even understand that line of thought. He was practically jobless. You can't get a wife without a job. You're not even in high standing in your church, unless you have a family. He was aging out of the singles wards, and would have had to start attending family wards -- where he'd stand out even more as a lonely guy.

Why is a job search something that "he just wouldn't do"? It's like saying "any other possibility is OK as long as he didn't miss church to find a job that would have enabled him to have a successful and happy life!"

An important job interview, to me, would BE THE MOST ACCEPTABLE REASON for missing his church responsibilities. Anything else (running away, hiding, suicide, criminal activity, meet a lover, find a girl) would be the action of a man whose religiosity was more shallow than his family believed.

But despite the great minds of LE, family, detectives, friends, church friends and Websleuthers, apparently no one has THE answer.

Is it possible that Steven just grew tired of checking off all the boxes that everyone else lined up for him? Religion, job, wife, friends, success, education, living up to friends' successes, etc, etc?

Of course, you could be right. But whatever it was, it seems it was all arranged in such a secretive manner. Why? Would Steven really have been so gullible as to believe that was normal and legitimate.

His Bishop had told him he would help him find work come the first of the year. His family had tried to help him. I understand pride, but it seems the urgency was removed from his dire financial situation. So what would have him take off to meet someone (secretly) in Henderson, on a Sunday when he should have been elsewhere? And WHY is there NO trail of it, whatsoever?

Because it didn't happen?

We know he left traces of his life all over Nevada, beginning on Dec 10th. Receipts, bank records, cell phone hits, Christmas presents, AN's family in Ruby Valley AND told his church friends on the morning of Dec 13th that he was in Vegas -- right?

OK...so why do we need some secretive, complicated scenario for the remaining hours?

But Steven's parents also know his two main goals (per the writings in his own diary) were a job and a wife. Why discount either?

I really don't even understand that line of thought. He was practically jobless. You can't get a wife without a job. You're not even in high standing in your church, unless you have a family. He was aging out of the singles wards, and would have had to start attending family wards -- where he'd stand out even more as a lonely guy.

Why is a job search something that "he just wouldn't do"? It's like saying "any other possibility is OK as long as he didn't miss church to find a job that would have enabled him to have a successful and happy life!"

Honestly - I discount nothing. I just have to wonder if he was really so desperate as to fall for some kind of deadly ruse.

An important job interview, to me, would BE THE MOST ACCEPTABLE REASON for missing his church responsibilities. Anything else (running away, hiding, suicide, criminal activity, meet a lover, find a girl) would be the action of a man whose religiosity was more shallow than his family believed.

Maybe he realized in his recent travels that his religion was not working for him?

But despite the great minds of LE, family, detectives, friends, church friends and Websleuthers, apparently no one has THE answer.

Is it possible that Steven just grew tired of checking off all the boxes that everyone else lined up for him? Religion, job, wife, friends, success, education, living up to friends' successes, etc, etc?

Maybe we have found the right answer, just not the right connection. Whatever it turns out to be, I sincerely doubt it'll make much sense anyway.

Because it didn't happen?

We know he left traces of his life all over Nevada, beginning on Dec 10th. Receipts, bank records, cell phone hits, Christmas presents, AN's family in Ruby Valley AND told his church friends on the morning of Dec 13th that he was in Vegas -- right?

OK...so why do we need some secretive, complicated scenario for the remaining hours?

We don't NEED it - it just IS! That's my point. His life was basically an open book for anyone caring to look - up until he came to Henderson/Vegas. Then - NOTHING! Don't you wonder why? It's as if it was intentionally hidden. WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CouchdetectiveC