NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet LE had it from the very start; it's one of the first things they'd logically do....and if they interpreted it the same way some here are doing, all it'd do is cause them to say "He really DID walk away."

I'm sure everyone else, once they saw that ping data, saw a familiar last name living within about a mile of that last tower ping.

Okay, I know I'm a little bit out of the loop these days but IS THERE a familiar last name within a mile of that last ping and that is the reason things have kind of "cooled off" in the family, PI, police area? Or, are you guessing that happened?

Frankly, it's hard to tell the context in which you say it by just reading that sentence?

Laytonian, so then, what you're saying is that Steven not calling back his LL was not unusual at all. Okay, somehow I missed that. But, I don't think that changes anything. It's hard enough to try to look into Steven's motivations. So, trying to figure out his LL's is even harder. Seems to me they were just calling him looking for their money. I mean, unless one of them was in Vegas on Dec. 13, I just don't think it means anything. Who knows. . .maybe the LL is OCD and could not stop dialing Steven's number over and over and over. And that they didn't mention it upon questioning once again does not catch my attention as being odd.

As for the other thing, I guess I will just have to go back through the Review Journal archives. Very well. . .

LL has a civil warrant out for Z not paying the rent, but not SK. Odd to me.

But I'm not sure what you're looking for, in the way of crimes on Dec 13th/14th. Like maybe Steven was involved in one before he disappeared?

Okay, I know I'm a little bit out of the loop these days but IS THERE a familiar last name within a mile of that last ping and that is the reason things have kind of "cooled off" in the family, PI, police area? Or, are you guessing that happened?

Frankly, it's hard to tell the context in which you say it by just reading that sentence?

There's a Z family living quite close to that last ping. I figured everyone had figured that one out, last week. I doubt it has ANYTHING to do with this case, but I found it interesting.

I, personally, am not comfortable giving LE the benefit of the doubt in this case at all. I think they have believed all along this was a case of a grown man walking away.

I, personally, am not comfortable giving LE the benefit of the doubt in this case at all. I think they have believed all along this was a case of a grown man walking away.

....which is why I've always said that the videos are the WORST things that could have happened to this case.

Without them showing a male figure walking away from a car he just parked, there'd be a broader consideration of possibilities.

....which is why I've always said that the videos are the WORST things that could have happened to this case.

Without them showing a male figure walking away from a car he just parked, there'd be a broader consideration of possibilities.

I understand where you're coming from as you're not convinced it's Steven on the video. I am.

Even if the video hadn't put him there, it could be said the cell phone pings did. At least we've had a starting point. Not that it's helped. But there you have it.

Sure.

But I'm still stuck on how he could have walked 15 miles to that run-down C-store, to get on the bus.

Not so much the distance, but how he'd have done it without getting lost.

We're getting into complicated research territory now: obtain a fake ID, determine where to park the car, and then walk a circuitous route for 15 miles to the other side of Henderson NV ... and pay for a bus ticket with cash before boarding.

All of that done without internet research, phone calls, GPS, a map, carrying something under your arm -- and a fairly large amount of cash.

I just said the fake ID as a suggestion to those that think he might have taken a bus. It is not my theory.

One more thing. Well, two.

I guess we can now say for sure that Steven was on Evening Lights to meet someone at noon. He did not just end up on that street randomly. He was meeting someone there at that time. And somehow, at least Steven's phone made it over to the Whitney Ranch. We can't say for sure if Steven went in that direction or not.

The other thing, now, is that we need to figure out who gave him that address and directions on how to get there. My first guess is that he got the address and directions while he was in Utah. I doubt he drove down here the day before. Got the address from whomever. Checked it out. Drove back to St. George then came back the next day.

One other thing I want to point out here:

Anyone wanting to run drugs or conduct any other illegal activity in Vegas DOES NOT need to look for unsuspecting people in another state. There are plenty of folks right here in Vegas who need to make money. That's why the thought of someone "luring" Steven here has always seemed so ludicrous to me.

IF, Steven was into anything he shouldn't have been, it definitely would have started in St. George and, most likely, because of someone he knew.

I guess we can now say for sure that Steven was on Evening Lights to meet someone at noon. He did not just end up on that street randomly. He was meeting someone there at that time. And somehow, at least Steven's phone made it over to the Whitney Ranch. We can't say for sure if Steven went in that direction or not.

The other thing, now, is that we need to figure out who gave him that address and directions on how to get there. My first guess is that he got the address and directions while he was in Utah. I doubt he drove down here the day before. Got the address from whomever. Checked it out. Drove back to St. George then came back the next day.

But why did he arrive in Vegas so many hours prior to such a meeting?

But why did he arrive in Vegas so many hours prior to such a meeting?

I would say that he wanted to make sure he wasn't late and wanted to scope it out before the actual meeting time.

1. Nobody has yet mentioned, I don't think (or I missed it), that if the cell phone left the area it had to do so in a car. So, shouldn't the video tape be looked at again? But, instead of examining the timeframe like an hour before to an hour after. . .maybe the entire day of Dec. 13th should be looked at. And into the 14th as well. At least to the point where the ping goes off the two near Whitney Ranch. I doubt Steven walked there so the one camera pointing on to Evening Lights had to have picked up something. . .a car coming or a car going. . .one that is not connected to any house on that street. And, if it didn't, that means that the "bad guys" knew the camera was there and avoided being seen on purpose. So instead, they took the long way to Evening Lights instead of coming directly down Savannah. That would be they were avoiding it for nefarious reasons. Got to check those camera tapes again. . .

sbbm

Yes, I felt the cell phone left the area in a car, I also think Steven was in that car.

Why do you say the vehicle would not be connected to the street? I am curious because I think the vehicle was connected to the street.

6. I'm glad others now have jumped on the "the window washing job was not really a window washing job" bandwagon. One my earliest threads was about that, I think. It could have been a job where Steven was scoping out places for others to rob. It could have been a drug delivery or pickup job. Or could have been collections for a bookie job. Hard to say but from the first time I heard it I barely believed it.

I have felt that too Fasteddy, it just seems lame. I have often thought it was a front for something else, and just recently posted it.

9. And this is where I'm going from #8, am I reading this cell phone map correctly when I say that at least the cell phone spent the night somewhere in the Stephanie/Sunset crossstreets area? Is that our best guess? Because Sunset Station is right there and I can imagine that if someone was up on a higher floor that any of those cell phone towers could be hit. The big Galleria at Sunset Mall is right there. There is also a Wal-Mart to the East of Sunset Station.

You know the area better than I do, so I'll agree with you on the location.I think Steven spent the night in the area and was the one that checked the voicemail in the morning. I always felt he had checked VM and am more convinced of it now that we know the time it was checked.

I would say that he wanted to make sure he wasn't late and wanted to scope it out before the actual meeting time.

If that's the case, the same surveillance cameras should have recorded his car going by before what we've seen.

WE don't know if that's the case, but the family and PI should know.

LL has a civil warrant out for Z not paying the rent, but not SK. Odd to me.

But I'm not sure what you're looking for, in the way of crimes on Dec 13th/14th. Like maybe Steven was involved in one before he disappeared?

I am thinking Steven's parents paid what was owing on the rent. jmo

If something happened to Steven the night before, why would a perp keep the cell all night long? Then check the VM in the morning. VM was not checked at 2 or 3 am it was checked around 7 am.

It's an elegant theory, for sure. But wouldn't he park closer?
Here's the MAP -- it's a 15-mile walk.
He could have left his car in his own driveway, and walked to a Greyhound pick-up in St George, closer.

Certainly there'd have been a closer neighborhood to leave the car in?

According to the Greyhound Website, it's not a bus depot. But you can buy tickets there (avoiding the online/credit card route), and get right on.

QUICK CORNER MINI MART
450 N WATER ST
Henderson, NV 89015

NOTE: We know that his name does not appear on any airline or bus ticketing records (source: family press conference, see link on the timeline). So...this means he'd have had to use another entity to travel.

I haven't ridden Greyhound since I was about 12; has anyone here traveled by intercity bus since 2001? I'm just wondering if you have to show your ID like you do at the airport, before you board. Are there security checks?

I'm just wondering if he could have purchased a ticket with cash and escaped giving his ID.

what he had to be parking close to was whoever he came to see Sunday morning in Henderson (very early or even Saturday night), but like moving his car or deciding to just park it and leave.

rd

There is always the possibility of a fake ID.

I don't think you can do that anymore. TSA looks for something on the driver's license that shows it's legitimate. If one has to present ID for the Greyhound, they have to verify it's legit.

Was the name of the real estate company or realtor released. The one that showed the property on Savannah Springs & was questioned by LE & said she didn't see Steven.

Does anyone know the address of this house or who had the listing?

Three things:

The ping list does not appear to be a "tracker." It only offers hits when the phone make/receives a call/text. So in each case, you can assume the phone is getting a call or making a call when it pings off a tower. I don't know why it doesn't show his movements when the phone isn't in use, but it doesn't.

In some cases, there are several calls between tower pings (I don't have the doc at home, but I can give more details tomorrow), yet the phone doesn't show any tower info. For example: Call 1 from 555-1212 at 3:00 p.m. pings on the Whitney Ranch tower. Call 2 from 555-1213 at 3:05 p.m. has no tower info. Call 3 at 5 p.m. pings off I-515 and Russell tower. I believe there is no tower info because there is nothing new to report (it's pinging off the same tower). This is significant because, in my opinion, it means the phone hasn't moved. If this theory is correct, it means the phone sits at I-515 and Russell for several days before losing communication with the tower. (I should really have some of you LV WSer's come to my office to see the doc and know what I'm talking about...)

Finally, I do not believe he ran off with someone, or for that matter, walked away from his life. First, I cannot stress the remoteness of the neighborhood where he dumped his car. I used to live downtown and a dumped car could go days without being noticed, maybe weeks. Second, when looking at his email account, I believe he only thought about one thing: finding a job. I am not exaggerating when I say there are thousands of emails in his account, and 99% revolve around looking for work. Finally, despite what some believe, the family ties are very strong. Sure, he moved to St. George, but the drive isn't that big of a deal. I just don't see it.

If something happened to Steven the night before, why would a perp keep the cell all night long? Then check the VM in the morning. VM was not checked at 2 or 3 am it was checked around 7 am.

I agree. But then again, if Steven was fulfilling his fate on Sunday, why would HE check his voice mail on Monday? Was he hoping someone would stop him or change his mind? Who would that person be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member