NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Closed: Limited public content. Members can see all content.

I just put in a request to join. You are probably already a member.

Closed: Limited public content. Members can see all content.

I just put in a request to join. You are probably already a member.

Don't know why. Can people just make you a member? (Seriously, everything I know about FB would fit between thesetwowords.)

Darn it, F1. You've got me skeeved about everywhere in Vegas now. ;)
North Las Vegas is the home to Nellis Air Force Base, and is full of military families.

I live very near Nellis. We prefer to call it the northeast. :)

At this point if he is alive, I won't be picky.

Me neither. But he has a better chance of staying alive in some parts of town than in others.

There's a lot of nice, new development in North Las Vegas. It's nowhere near Las Vegas Boulevard North and Civic Center.

Mixed reports, for sure:

According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the search has ended but one new tip was received.

A bus driver, shown Steven's picture, told the searchers that someone looking much like Steven had asked if the bus company was hiring.
(I'm starting to get the shivers, wondering if SK is wandering around in some OCD state, focused so hard on getting a job that he's lost his inner compass.)

-------------------
OR maybe NOT a new tip, as KSL News is reporting that "nothing new" was found. There's some nice pictures, though. 8newsnow.
-------------------
And now.....The Deseret News reports not only that SK's friends said he went there for a job, but that it was an interview. :waitasec:

Sheesh! At least they got his picture out there and now lots of people will be looking for Steven!

Me neither. But he has a better chance of staying alive in some parts of town than in others.

There's a lot of nice, new development in North Las Vegas. It's nowhere near Las Vegas Boulevard North and Civic Center.

I (sadly) look at it this way: if he's out there, with the bad people, in the bad areas, he's now one of the bad people in the bad area....and just as safe (or as in danger) as anyone else. The longer he does it, the better he gets at it.

But, I really think if he walked away willingly, he's nowhere near Las Vegas.

I (sadly) look at it this way: if he's out there, with the bad people, in the bad areas, he's now one of the bad people in the bad area....and just as safe (or as in danger) as anyone else. The longer he does it, the better he gets at it.

If he walked away willingly and in full health, anyway.

Well, there are varying degrees of badness. And a Mormon boy from Utah - no matter his mental state - is not going to be safe in certain Vegas neighborhoods.

He may no longer be in Vegas, but if he is, it sure does appear to be quite easy to hide for an extended period of time.

IMO, if his goal truly was to get back home to Utah, he could have hitched a ride with a trucker a long time ago. It's a good line, though.

There are young folks panhandling all over the valley these days with little cardboard signs that say "BROKE AND TRYING TO GET HOME." It's a convenient story in a city where you actually can lose all your money and get stuck.

If he walked away willingly and in full health, anyway.

If he walked away entirely on his own accord, I believe he was thinking clearly. Why? The location of the car. It was hidden behind the sound walls, in the only cul-de-sac in Sun City Anthem not entirely surrounded by homes, in a very safe place. That's a clear-headed and carefully-weighed decision, IMO.

I believe a person who wasn't thinking clearly, would have walked away from home, left the car at a rest stop, driven to some odd place, wouldn't care if they parked in a very public place, etc, etc, etc.

I see this as very different than him being told where to park and later becoming a crime victim (or leaving with someone else).

If he walked away entirely on his own accord, I believe he was thinking clearly. Why? The location of the car. It was hidden behind the sound walls, in the only cul-de-sac in Sun City Anthem not entirely surrounded by homes, in a very safe place. That's a clear-headed and carefully-weighed decision, IMO.

I believe a person who wasn't thinking clearly, would have walked away from home, left the car at a rest stop, driven to some odd place, wouldn't care if they parked in a very public place, etc, etc, etc.

I see this as very different than him being told where to park and later becoming a crime victim (or leaving with someone else).

Good points. Sure would like to know more about this "interview." If he did plan to just walk away, he could have been just blowing smoke with that. But who knows?

Well, there are varying degrees of badness. And a Mormon boy from Utah - no matter his mental state - is not going to be safe in certain Vegas neighborhoods.

He may no longer be in Vegas, but if he is, it sure does appear to be quite easy to hide for an extended period of time.

IMO, if his goal truly was to get back home to Utah, he could have hitched a ride with a trucker a long time ago. It's a good line, though.

There are young folks panhandling all over the valley these days with little cardboard signs that say "BROKE AND TRYING TO GET HOME." It's a convenient story in a city where you actually can lose all your money and get stuck.

....or go there with no money at all. Like sbakker says, her sister was "hiding" in Salt Lake City for a long time, and they couldn't find her. It doesn't have to be Vegas.

That car could have been left in any newer neighborhood anywhere else, and as long as someone was captured on a security video walking away, it would be just as much a mystery.

Good points. Sure would like to know more about this "interview." If he did plan to just walk away, he could have been just blowing smoke with that. But who knows?

I'm starting to think he really did use the words "job" and "Vegas" in a single sentence, while talking to someone else. It was a long time after whatever conversation that was, when the person had to remember what was said. But like you say, blowing smoke.

Being that finding a job was Steven's primary concern, it would be a legitimate reason for missing church. In fact, it would be the ONLY legitimate reason he could give, for missing church.

I see organized thinking, either in him locating that parking space by himself, or in someone else directing him to that location.

Remember, you're the one that always talked me out of him parking there randomly ;)

....or go there with no money at all. Like sbakker says, her sister was "hiding" in Salt Lake City for a long time, and they couldn't find her. It doesn't have to be Vegas.

That car could have been left in any newer neighborhood anywhere else, and as long as someone was captured on a security video walking away, it would be just as much a mystery.

Well yeah. But if he wanted to disappear in a city other than Las Vegas, why didn't he drive there? It's one thing to work your way around a city after ditching your car. It's something else altogether to get to a different city entirely.

I'm starting to think he really did use the words "job" and "Vegas" in a single sentence, while talking to someone else. It was a long time after whatever conversation that was, when the person had to remember what was said. But like you say, blowing smoke.

Being that finding a job was Steven's primary concern, it would be a legitimate reason for missing church. In fact, it would be the ONLY legitimate reason he could give, for missing church.

I see organized thinking, either in him locating that parking space by himself, or in someone else directing him to that location.

Remember, you're the one that always talked me out of him parking there randomly ;)

It's true, I still cannot believe the spot in which his car was found was randomly chosen.

But, maybe he really DID have an interview in that area and it didn't go well. Maybe it was a last ditch effort and when it failed, he just walked away. And walked and walked and walked.

Depending on when his head snapped, if it did. If something happened at the interview that pushed him off the deep end, he might have even forgotten where he parked or even that he had a car.

Well yeah. But if he wanted to disappear in a city other than Las Vegas, why didn't he drive there?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that we'd have just as much a mystery, if his car was found in Boulder, Utah or Boulder, Colorado under the same conditions. You can disappear in any town; Vegas isn't special that way. UNLESS Steven believed the ads about "Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas". If he took that literally....well..... ;)

It's one thing to work your way around a city after ditching your car. It's something else altogether to get to a different city entirely.

Park car. Call cab with throwaway phone. Find bus station. Buy ticket with cash. Get on bus. (Bus station is fairly near the direction the phone went....right?)

Obviously, I've never been a strong believer in the purposeful disappearance theory ... but I can see how it could be done. I just don't see Steven doing it, by himself purposely, for this long.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that we'd have just as much a mystery, if his car was found in Boulder, Utah or Boulder, Colorado under the same conditions. You can disappear in any town; Vegas isn't special that way. UNLESS Steven believed the ads about "Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas". If he took that literally....well..... ;)

Yes. But his car was found HERE. If it was his intention to disappear elsewhere, I think he would have driven closer to his destination.

Park car. Call cab with throwaway phone. Find bus station. Buy ticket with cash. Get on bus. (Bus station is fairly near the direction the phone went....right?)

Obviously, I've never been a strong believer in the purposeful disappearance theory ... but I can see how it could be done. I just don't see Steven doing it, by himself purposely, for this long.

See, I just don't think it's that complicated or organized. If someone is out of the mainstream, it would be very simple to go undetected. Having no car or computer or cell phone - or any other "worldly" possessions would make it quite simple to live under the radar. IMO.

Depending on when his head snapped, if it did. If something happened at the interview that pushed him off the deep end, he might have even forgotten where he parked or even that he had a car.

This is where my innate skepticism comes in. Suddenly snapping, dissociative fugue and amnesia, IMO, are clever plots in fiction but are very very rare. If they even exist. I think a person can use them as an excuse, because they allow the person to disavow responsibility for certain actions, and recover their previously-pure entity.

The comments about Hannah Upp are intriguing. She broke her "fugue" by jumping into the water and being dramatically rescued and cured at the same time, in NYC -- remember? The only problem is: she was checking her email while supposedly in the fugue.

If something happened at a meeting, I think it wasn't a "meeting" (so to speak) and was a crime against Steven. Something like that could cause him mental harm or worse.

I believe Steven is either somewhere well-off, or with us no longer. I think he'd ask for help at some point, in some way, otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState