NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you let us know who they may be, by initials only?

I used a plural (because I think there's more than one), but the one I'm thinking of (which everyone has already sussed out by now) had 6 convictions between 1998 and 2004. First and last initials are the same ;)

BUT....apparently ruled out, or no evidence.

I'm having a difficult time believing some of the "new" information coming out. It seems like Steven's family would have gotten the word out if they had new reasons to suspect Steven was in Las Vegas for an interview. That really narrows down the people/places he could have been visiting and it portrays Steven in the positive light they have been striving for (rules all those "dark side" rumors out) . While I have always believed the prospect of work is the only reason a devout Mormon like Steven would miss church (and his home teaching appointment), I don't trust the sources of this information. It feels a little "Examiner-ie," to me. I agree with RD that the Trib journalist may have taken a little creative freedom with the facts, hence the hedging use of the word "reportedly."

Also, if Steven told his friends he had an interview, wouldn't they have asked "Oh really? What type of work?" Though from what we know about this case, people didn't question Steven much about anything.

Steven has been missing for 7 months today......

I used a plural (because I think there's more than one), but the one I'm thinking of (which everyone has already sussed out by now) had 6 convictions between 1998 and 2004. First and last initials are the same ;)

BUT....apparently ruled out, or no evidence.

Well, y'know, Henderson versus St. George, and all that -- couldn't possibly be.

I'm having a difficult time believing some of the "new" information coming out. It seems like Steven's family would have gotten the word out if they had new reasons to suspect Steven was in Las Vegas for an interview. That really narrows down the people/places he could have been visiting and it portrays Steven in the positive light they have been striving for (rules all those "dark side" rumors out) . While I have always believed the prospect of work is the only reason a devout Mormon like Steven would miss church (and his home teaching appointment), I don't trust the sources of this information. It feels a little "Examiner-ie," to me. I agree with RD that the Trib journalist may have taken a little creative freedom with the facts, hence the hedging use of the word "reportedly."

Also, if Steven told his friends he had an interview, wouldn't they have asked "Oh really? What type of work?" Though from what we know about this case, people didn't question Steven much about anything.

Steven has been missing for 7 months today......

The family's made various statements...some of which sound (to me) like they're pondering why he was there, but which could also be interpreted as looking for work:

KSL: "His family says he was looking for work in the Las Vegas area. " (July 9th, just before last weekend's search.)

8newsnow: "To a casual observer, the travel surrounding Steven's disappearance seems unusual. But family says it just shows the patterns of a 30-year-old trying to stay busy while looking for work."

I just got a note from someone, who was taken off WS. They told me they had contacted the St. George detective over SK's case, and gave him some info. The source is trying to convince the detective SK needs to be on the endangered list, and gave the detective some reasons why. The source said the detective was excited about the info, and it gave him plenty of things to look into.

I was looking for an undate on the body at Siegel Suites, but having no luck. Any locals or anyone know anything? Maybe they are having a hard time finding next of kin, but I don't recall seeing mention of whether this was a male or female.? TIA

The temps here in Vegas are supposed to be in the 110's this week. A lot of folks who live on the streets end up in the hospital ERs due to dehydration, heat exhaustion, or even a made up complaint just to be able to be out of the heat for a while. I work in a hospital that is along the 109 bus route. I don't know that I would even recognize Steven if he were there, but I find myself checking the ER waiting room on my way in and out of the building.

THIS is why - LE doesn't take serioulsy the disapperance of someone like Steven:

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/nic...ars-revealed-leading-double/story?id=11145043

Even though, there are few - if any - common circumstances.

Outside the wife, children and job?
If you want Steven to be alive and a walkaway, it seems like all possibilities are equally valid. Purposefully disappearing is a selfish act, whether it's to just start over, evade responsibility, or engage in a (uh, well) Francisco-style life.

This isn't directly related to Steven, but -- it turns out we had a walkaway in our area a couple of months ago. I just learned about it yesterday. He's not missing because he said, "I can't take any more. I'm out of here. You're never going to hear from me again," as he went out the door, but nobody including his teenage kids has heard from him since or has any idea where he went. He took almost nothing with him -- his wallet, an unknown amount of cash, and probably his iPod. They found his cell phone on the train to Boston. The sister-in-law who was telling me the story said, "He's the last person I thought would ever walk out on his life. He loves those kids. How could he just leave them? What couldn't he take any more? Couldn't he talk to us?"

Apparently not.

So, yeah. People do walk out. Unexpectedly, without warning, without talking. It makes one think...

This isn't directly related to Steven, but -- it turns out we had a walkaway in our area a couple of months ago. I just learned about it yesterday. He's not missing because he said, "I can't take any more. I'm out of here. You're never going to hear from me again," as he went out the door, but nobody including his teenage kids has heard from him since or has any idea where he went. He took almost nothing with him -- his wallet, an unknown amount of cash, and probably his iPod. They found his cell phone on the train to Boston. The sister-in-law who was telling me the story said, "He's the last person I thought would ever walk out on his life. He loves those kids. How could he just leave them? What couldn't he take any more? Couldn't he talk to us?"

Apparently not.

So, yeah. People do walk out. Unexpectedly, without warning, without talking. It makes one think...

It'd be interesting to know if he had depression or substance abuse issues. "Never hear from me again" sounds pretty final (ie, suicide).

As for Steven: He had no real ties to St George, and nothing to lose by leaving there (except a small trail of debt). The problem is that he left so many long-time friends and family behind.

It'd be interesting to know if he had depression or substance abuse issues. "Never hear from me again" sounds pretty final (ie, suicide).

As for Steven: He had no real ties to St George, and nothing to lose by leaving there (except a small trail of debt). The problem is that he left so many long-time friends and family behind.

OT:
I've lost ALL of my hundreds of case-related bookmarks, because someone named (me) dropped a large soda onto their laptop last evening. My computer is absolutely dead; I'm hoping I can get it resurrected. :(

I'm sure y'all have the same links, so can pop stuff up when needed.

OT:
I've lost ALL of my hundreds of case-related bookmarks, because someone named (me) dropped a large soda onto their laptop last evening. My computer is absolutely dead; I'm hoping I can get it resurrected. :(

I'm sure y'all have the same links, so can pop stuff up when needed.

Oh no! I hope "they" can salvage it!

Yeah, I've noticed that when people talk about leaving permanently, there's no telling how permanently they mean.

I thought this guy was interesting in that apparently leaving his friends and family behind was the goal -- "starting over" wasn't really it, just "get me out of here." The family seems to be assuming midlife crisis and expecting him to be back in a few months.

Oh no! I hope "they" can salvage it!

I know! I'm taking it over in a little while; luckily, I had backed up my business records four days ago but forgot to do the bookmarks.
The "spare travel laptop" is earning its keep right now.

Yeah, I've noticed that when people talk about leaving permanently, there's no telling how permanently they mean.

I thought this guy was interesting in that apparently leaving his friends and family behind was the goal -- "starting over" wasn't really it, just "get me out of here." The family seems to be assuming midlife crisis and expecting him to be back in a few months.

I'll bet he had someone to go to.

He took the train to get wherever he wanted to be at.

I'll bet he had someone to go to.

He took the train to get wherever he wanted to be at.

Well, the train to Boston is just commuter rail, but it takes you to North Station or South Station (where the Amtrack and bus terminals are) or to the airport -- he could literally have gone anywhere in the world within a few hours. It wouldn't surprise me if he had someone to go to, though considering this is his second marriage, I would have thought he'd just move out and file for divorce again.

It just goes to show that you never can tell about people. :banghead:

I'm wondering if SK's family were hoping or thought he would do the same? He left his family and friends in April, per se and not just in Dec----for warmer weather. ?

Outside the wife, children and job?
If you want Steven to be alive and a walkaway, it seems like all possibilities are equally valid. Purposefully disappearing is a selfish act, whether it's to just start over, evade responsibility, or engage in a (uh, well) Francisco-style life.

True - a person's reasons for walking away could be anything. But you see, Nicholas left quite a telling trail. It took the sleuthers here about five minutes to find evidence of his "other" life. Something that either doesn't exist with Steven or is very well hidden.

True - a person's reasons for walking away could be anything. But you see, Nicholas left quite a telling trail. It took the sleuthers here about five minutes to find evidence of his "other" life. Something that either doesn't exist with Steven or is very well hidden.

How did people here find the hidden evidence, before Francisco's wife (or LE) did?

It's possible that the *lack* of something, could be evidence of a hidden life. Lack of paid bills, lack of obvious income, lack of assets....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member