NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was from Amarillo, Texas but I don't think he was particularly "cowboy". If you read his FB page, he doesn't even mention country music, and in none of the images, do you see him in cowboy boots or anything like that.

What some of us are thinking, though, is that he could have gone to Vegas to do some work at a venue (ie, for an exhibitor). It would explain him driving down on the 12th -- and there's a possibility he could have met someone there.

It's just another of our wild longshots.

It'd be great if we could get a list of the 2009 Cowboy Christmas exhibitors. Anyone here have connections to the LV Convention Center?

ETA:
My apologies. His likes/dislikes are on his ldslinkup page (opened in 205/2006 and not updated since), and not visible on his private FB page.
Interests: Guitar, volleyball, football, wakeboarding, snowboarding
Favorite Music: Collective Soul, Eve 6, Vertical Horizon, Metallica
Favorite Movies: Sea Biscuit, Cinderella Man
Favorite Books: cat in the hat
Favorite TV: Nova, This Old House

Not sure we should focus entirely on the CC exhibitors. When NFR is in town, so are many country music headliners. And I would venture to say every local country band in the city is working somewhere in town during NFR.

It's really not ALL about the rodeo, per se. There's a lot going on all over town. Every lounge, every dance hall, every bar with a country music slant, will take advantage.

The NFR is really the only major city-wide event we have in Vegas during this particular time of year. Until New Year's you could almost hear a pin drop if not for NFR.

Not sure we should focus entirely on the CC exhibitors. When NFR is in town, so are many country music headliners. And I would venture to say every local country band in the city is working somewhere in town during NFR.

It's really not ALL about the rodeo, per se. There's a lot going on all over town. Every lounge, every dance hall, every bar with a country music slant, will take advantage.

The NFR is really the only major city-wide event we have in Vegas during this particular time of year. Until New Year's you could almost hear a pin drop if not for NFR.

Do you see evidence that he's a country fan?
I see heavy metal, rock and pop.
I've never seen him in cowboy boots or dress, or even a picture at a rodeo.
The only thing that I can see linking him to that lifestyle, would be the cattle branding he went to at AN's ranch 18 months before he disappeared -- and that seemed to have more to do with AN than anything else, since they were dating.

He drove home from southward, on Dec 12th at 4pm; I don't think he was hanging out at country bars on a Saturday night.

Geez, out of all the cases we've studied on here, and there are hundreds -- this one baffles the he## out of me!! It really is like Steven vanished. Is he being held hostage in someone's basement? Was he murdered for witnessing something he shouldn't have? Did someone think he would be an easy mark for robbery, only to find out Steven had no money? Any chance he was trying to extricate himself from the church and went off the grid? Las Vegas -- what do people go there for other than some sightseeing, gambling, shows -- jobs? To disappear?

Do you see evidence that he's a country fan?
I see heavy metal, rock and pop.
I've never seen him in cowboy boots or dress, or even a picture at a rodeo.
The only thing that I can see linking him to that lifestyle, would be the cattle branding he went to at AN's ranch 18 months before he disappeared -- and that seemed to have more to do with AN than anything else, since they were dating.

He drove home from southward, on Dec 12th at 4pm; I don't think he was hanging out at country bars on a Saturday night.

No, I was actually looking at the "roadie" angle. You wouldn't really have to be a fan of whoever you're working for to set up and tear down - if you knew what you were doing. It's just a job.

I have to say, the Metallica thing gives me pause.....

AFAIK, the exhibitors of the CC are artists and craftsman. We have several shows a year that would showcase their works - as would many other cities. I think they just travel from place to place non-stop.

No, I was actually looking at the "roadie" angle. You wouldn't really have to be a fan of whoever you're working for to set up and tear down - if you knew what you were doing. It's just a job.

I have to say, the Metallica thing gives me pause.....

Really? I love my Metallica (and they're my husband's favorites). I guess it's just musical taste, because I feel the same about country singers.

AFAIK, the exhibitors of the CC are artists and craftsman. We have several shows a year that would showcase their works - as would many other cities. I think they just travel from place to place non-stop.

....which is what I'm saying. Transient jobs, following shows.

We used to sell at antique shows, and there'd always be "roadies" who followed certain dealers from show to show. We could get them to help us load and unload, too, if we slipped them a $100 or so.

'course, it's not unionized here like it is in Nevada. That's why I was wondering if he could have latched onto a crew who worked for a specific retailer, rather than the show promoter itself.

Geez, out of all the cases we've studied on here, and there are hundreds -- this one baffles the he## out of me!! It really is like Steven vanished. Is he being held hostage in someone's basement? Was he murdered for witnessing something he shouldn't have? Did someone think he would be an easy mark for robbery, only to find out Steven had no money? Any chance he was trying to extricate himself from the church and went off the grid? Las Vegas -- what do people go there for other than some sightseeing, gambling, shows -- jobs? To disappear?

I don't think he's in a basement in SCA, because those homes are built on slabs. The locals can tell us the odds of him holed up in a different neighborhoods' basement ;)

If you want to leave the LDS church, you just quit going. They're not going to hunt you down. Your family might be pretty unhappy, but it's not the end of the world. I know many inactive/nonpracticing members (colloquially referred to as "Jack Mormons") and there's enough of them around, to prove it's not a danger. Probably 25-30%.

Myself, I believe if it's still with us, he's not in the Vegas area.

Okay -- lol -- not in a basement, not being kept against his will, probably not in a homeless shelter, hopefully wasn't lured into some kind of "fake job," police have searched Vegas - what does that leave as the most logical possibilities -- he decided to make a clean break -- possibly met another discontented soul and split town -- maybe doesn't even know how many people have been looking for him, but doesn't want to communicate with family and friends -- because -- he wants to start a new life.......?

Okay -- lol -- not in a basement, not being kept against his will, probably not in a homeless shelter, hopefully wasn't lured into some kind of "fake job," police have searched Vegas - what does that leave as the most logical possibilities -- he decided to make a clean break -- possibly met another discontented soul and split town -- maybe doesn't even know how many people have been looking for him, but doesn't want to communicate with family and friends -- because -- he wants to start a new life.......?

Keep askin' those questions. There's got to be a fresh one we've not thought of. We need an AHA! moment.

I agree that this is the one of the most confounding disappearances ever. That security video? Pretty much worthless in solving this; the assumption would be that he parked his car in SCA, video or not. I actually think it harms the case, because it's got us boxed into a corner.

Really? I love my Metallica (and they're my husband's favorites). I guess it's just musical taste, because I feel the same about country singers.

Well, that's something I never saw coming! Guess you never know! I'm a HUGE Osmond fan. Who knew?

....which is what I'm saying. Transient jobs, following shows.

We used to sell at antique shows, and there'd always be "roadies" who followed certain dealers from show to show. We could get them to help us load and unload, too, if we slipped them a $100 or so.

'course, it's not unionized here like it is in Nevada. That's why I was wondering if he could have latched onto a crew who worked for a specific retailer, rather than the show promoter itself.

I can see it. I'm not really sure if the craft show peeps have to use union peeps to set up/take down. I do believe the trade show exhibitors do. GES is one of the largest union companies in town who do trade shows at the convention centers. I'm not union, so I'm not sure how that works!

Still, I would be willing to bet the "mom and pop" arts and crafts peeps don't need to follow those union rules. They're not HUGE companies showing off their wares. I certainly hope they don't have to follow those rules!

Greetings,

For some unknown reason, my mind has been stuck on this particular case for the past couple weeks.
Why I am so drawn in to this particular case is beyond me. But when I discovered I shared the same birth date (11/01) as SK, I was...... well, I don't know how to explain it.

I would like to share my thoughts with the group about this case.
After carefully reading through the time line, I have concluded (IMO) this:

Summary: Steve was murdered involved in a drug related homicide at Las Vegas /Henderson area. His body was then discarded somewhere between Las Vegas and St.George along the Interstate I-15 in the desert. The person who was with Steve on these road trips resides at ST.George. and is involved in the Disposal of Steve's body.
That same person did not murder Steve, but is involved with drug dealing and a addict, preferable Meth.

A) Steve did not travel alone to Ruby Valley or to Las Vegas.

B) The main reason for the trip to Ruby Valley, was NOT Ruby Valley, was to go to Salt lake City. Ruby Valley was a spur of the moment not planned visit, since he was nearby.

C) What the family at Ruby Valley said about Steve saying, about seeing friends and family in Sacramento is incorrect. What Steve actually said was " He was going to visit his FRIENDS FAMILY at Sacramento.

D) During the visit at Ruby Valley, that "other person" who traveled with Steve, was passed out sleeping in Steves car.

C) Steve and that person entered that Anthem neighborhood to a house that is located on the street of Evening Lights Ave. OR MARION CENTER CT. When Steve first drove to that Neighborhood, He drove down Laurel Heights Ln. and made a Left on Portsmouth Creek Ave, Then a left on Marion Center Ct. or Evening Lights Ave. My thoughts is that the met up with a person in that neighborhood who is between the ages of 35-45 years old who is a "kid" still living with his 70 yold parents home, to help find a "connect" in purchasing a quantity amount of meth. Before they departed with that "Kid" in his own car, Steve was asked to park his car "around the block some where" (the dead end on Savannah Springs) Which Steve did, and walked backed to the house (as seen in the camera vids). Then they all left that neighborhood (3 of them) by driving to Portsmouth Creek ave and making a left on Laurel Heights Ln, turning left on Anthem pkwy.

E) Steve died between the hours of 4pm and 3am 12/14 in the vicinity of Whitney Ranch Dr, Between E Russell Rd and W Sunset. I suspected they (Unknown person from St.George and the "Kid" from the Anthem neighborhood) waited till about 6am in the morning in order to "blend with the traffic" heading North on 515 to drive back to St.George disposing Steve's body along the I 15 highway. But before the 6am departure, the unknown person from St.George used Steve's phone to delete all Texts and messages and histories that might of been left by him, and then smashed and disposed the phone. After dropping the unknown person at St.George, the Anthem "kid" resident returned to the Anthem residence.

I might of left parts out .... But, If anybody has any questions, I will provide my reasoning behind my theory of Steve's disappearance.

Okay, yes I have questions, I want to know your reasoning behind your theory of SK's disappearance. Do you know something? Or is this just a theory?

Yes, people do go to Las Vegas to kill themselves and to disappear.

My conclusion based on the facts of the timeline. There was many signs /actions of Steve that showed he was accompanied with someone and that was involved in illegal drug activities during the trips to Salt Lake City and Las Vegas areas.
can you splain how you have concluded the time of death and disposal area? ty....

Well, that's something I never saw coming! Guess you never know! I'm a HUGE Osmond fan. Who knew?

OT - If you haven't yet seen Donny & Marie at the Flamingo in Las Vegas, it's an AWESOME show. We thought it might be a bit cheesy, but we had the best time at that show.

I could be stupid and naive in this case, but I'm starting to wonder if he didn't just walk away -- just leave with someone -- to somewhere. And, though, there is still a small voice telling me he may have killed himself.

What else does his family/friends know that they haven't said?

We'll just have to agree to never listen to music when we get together ;)

I can see it. I'm not really sure if the craft show peeps have to use union peeps to set up/take down. I do believe the trade show exhibitors do. GES is one of the largest union companies in town who do trade shows at the convention centers. I'm not union, so I'm not sure how that works!

Still, I would be willing to bet the "mom and pop" arts and crafts peeps don't need to follow those union rules. They're not HUGE companies showing off their wares. I certainly hope they don't have to follow those rules!

It applies to everyone.

Cowboy Christmas Gift Show requires union workers to set up, maintain, and dissemble all exhibits, handle all material except minor items carried in by the exhibitors which weigh under 30 pounds (laptop computers, small boxes):

http://www.championexpo.com/servicemanual/300-1012-003X.pdf

It's part of what you pay for, when you rent the booth space at a show.

I could be stupid and naive in this case, but I'm starting to wonder if he didn't just walk away -- just leave with someone -- to somewhere. And, though, there is still a small voice telling me he may have killed himself.

Absent any evidence, crime victim, walkaway, suicide ......

We have a car left in a strange location, on purpose. People who see a man walk "purposely" (how else WOULD you walk down a street?) The figure heads north on a street that has a golf cart path at the end.

Fairy1 makes a good point about suicide: so where IS he? How do you hide yourself? (I guess by walking up into the foothills?) But the phone movements seem to belie that.

Walkaway? He had a car. Why not drive away? If he left with someone else, where IS that person and how did they make contact?

Crime victim? He had at least two contacts with drug arrest histories. He owed money. He needed work, and may have been increasingly desperate.

What else does his family/friends know that they haven't said?

We've heard from independent sources that "there's just nothing"..... :banghead:

<snip>
My apologies. His likes/dislikes are on his ldslinkup page (opened in 205/2006 and not updated since), and not visible on his private FB page.
Interests: Guitar, volleyball, football, wakeboarding, snowboarding
Favorite Music: Collective Soul, Eve 6, Vertical Horizon, Metallica
Favorite Movies: Sea Biscuit, Cinderella Man
Favorite Books: cat in the hat
Favorite TV: Nova, This Old House

Metallica played Mandalay Bay December 5, 2009, Nephi ID on December 7, and in Sacramento December 8, with Machine Head opening for them.

His list doesn't include Megadeth, but considering the others, he might well have liked them. And Megadeth played House of Blues December 13, 2009. Yes, a Sunday night concert. Doors opened at 5:45, according to this review: http://metalassault.com/Live_Reviews/121309_Megadeth.php. Machine Head had been opening for Megadeth through November and December but it doesn't look like they were there for the December 13 gig. (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Machine-Head-Tour-Dates-with-Megadeth-Metallica-20519.aspx)

Vertical Horizon (Neill Peart from Rush) and Collective Soul played LV over the summer, earlier than our time frame. Eve 6 played on New Year's eve, after Steven was already missing.

Absent any evidence, crime victim, walkaway, suicide ......

We have a car left in a strange location, on purpose. People who see a man walk "purposely" (how else WOULD you walk down a street?) The figure heads north on a street that has a golf cart path at the end.

Fairy1 makes a good point about suicide: so where IS he? How do you hide yourself? (I guess by walking up into the foothills?) But the phone movements seem to belie that.

Walkaway? He had a car. Why not drive away? If he left with someone else, where IS that person and how did they make contact?

Crime victim? He had at least two contacts with drug arrest histories. He owed money. He needed work, and may have been increasingly desperate.

We've heard from independent sources that "there's just nothing"..... :banghead:

You leave your car because cars with license plates are easier to trace than average-looking people.

You leave your car because cars with license plates are easier to trace than average-looking people.

True -- but if you did a bit of looking around, you could probably find a car to switch plates with ;)

After all, if you're absconding to avoid debts, what's one more misdemeanor?

True -- but if you did a bit of looking around, you could probably find a car to switch plates with ;)

After all, if you're absconding to avoid debts, what's one more misdemeanor?

Well, if he hasn't finished paying off the car, and he leaves with it, that's probably approaching grand theft. If he leaves it, then he's not committing any crime in leaving and LE won't be looking for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RLP