NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but I think we are talking about an essentially closed society, perhaps. Depending on his condition, they might just circle the wagons. I have seen it happen I am very sorry to say. LE is 50/50 I have found with letting it out. Some find a way to spill it to give the family closure-some just keep it tight depending on the MP. I do not know about Henderson, but I dealt with an awesome guy who was LVPD who did not let it leak at all...even though he spoke with the missing man on the phone. The family had to wait almost 3 more years before he surfaced.

...and I'll bet they were PO'd.

It's one thing to have the right to disappear, BUT your actions in public do not fall under privacy rights.

I think there'd be a way to notify a family that their missing loved one had appeared on a public street, without violating any rights of privacy.

...and I'll bet they were PO'd.

It's one thing to have the right to disappear, BUT your actions in public do not fall under privacy rights.

I think there'd be a way to notify a family that their missing loved one had appeared on a public street, without violating any rights of privacy.

Crushed enough to lobby for some legislation that made taking off like this a crime. I cannot decide how I feel about making it a crime-I think PD are overwhelmed as it is...with 800K missing on the books on any given month, they would have to hire armys of PO's to sort them out...

Crushed enough to lobby for some legislation that made taking off like this a crime. I cannot decide how I feel about making it a crime-I think PD are overwhelmed as it is...with 800K missing on the books on any given month, they would have to hire armys of PO's to sort them out...

Sometimes, a lawsuit works better than trying for legislation - because such legislation would end up in the courts, eventually.

All it would take is a slight refinement to the definition of privacy.

Right now, there's a case going through the courts to decide whether a GPS can be placed on your vehicle, if it's parked in public (but in your driveway).

I think most of us who follow crime cases, would say that such a GPS installed on Josh Powell's rental car, would not be a violation of his Constitutional right to privacy....since the car was accessible and visible.

Others would say that LE is over-reaching, and that your privacy begins on your property line (even if there's a dead body on your front lawn).

(The above is just an example; as far as I know, no such GPS was ever placed on JP's vehicle during the first week of his wife's disappearance.)

I say that if you are purposefully missing BUT go out in public and are spotted there, you can be "outed". It just takes a little bit of following, even by an amateur sleuther with a digital camera, tipped off by LE ;)

Not to mention a civil suit for harassment or stalking. They would have to be dang sure the "seeking" was legit and not nefarious in itself, imo.

Exactly, guys. You get the problem. I have experience with GPS being affixed without the knowlege of one of my friends-this was during a divorce. Stalking ex husband who refused to believe she was just staying at home with the kids and trying to put food on the table. She said it was crazy making to have him turn up all over the place before she figured it out. And how did she figure it out? She finally found it.

Exactly, guys. You get the problem. I have experience with GPS being affixed without the knowlege of one of my friends-this was during a divorce. Stalking ex husband who refused to believe she was just staying at home with the kids and trying to put food on the table. She said it was crazy making to have him turn up all over the place before she figured it out. And how did she figure it out? She finally found it.

No matter how the courts rule on the GPS issue, LE still has to get a search warrant to place one.

Problem is, stalking exes don't get permission. They just do it. I can't imagine how terrifying that would be.

No matter how the courts rule on the GPS issue, LE still has to get a search warrant to place one.

Problem is, stalking exes don't get permission. They just do it. I can't imagine how terrifying that would be.

Guess it's a double-edged sword. Particularly from the perspective of those of us looking for the missing and victims of stalkers. And stalkers...

No news from Cedar City, still? Sheesh.

I've put out some feelers, trying to get info on the Cedar City UID.

Nothing to report. :banghead:

Wonder why local news media have nothing to report about the Cedar City UID. Guess it would be their choice not to publish anything an investigative reporter may have learned.

Wonder why local news media have nothing to report about the Cedar City UID. Guess it would be their choice not to publish anything an investigative reporter may have learned.

If there's no indication of a crime, it's not big news I guess. Even watching the obits is nonproductive in a case like this, because we have no description (not even age).

It reminds me of an obit I read last week, accompanied by the smiling face of a young man. It had code words like "he didn't have much, but he'd help you out" and "would give you the shirt off his back".

Two days later, I saw the same smiling face grinning at me, from THIS STORY.

Still nothing to report from ANY of my contacts (re: Cedar City male UID). This is very strange. Most know why I contacted them, yet still no reply.

Still nothing to report from ANY of my contacts (re: Cedar City male UID). This is very strange. Most know why I contacted them, yet still no reply.

Mmmm...could this mean that they know where Steven is but just can't say?

They don't have to say if it's Steven (or anyone else!), but they will have to remove him from the missing person's sites.

Sometimes it takes a while to get a positive ID on someone. But it sounded as if this fellow had some kind of ID on him when found, so I thought it would be pretty quick.

They don't have to say if it's Steven (or anyone else!), but they will have to remove him from the missing person's sites.

Sometimes it takes a while to get a positive ID on someone. But it sounded as if this fellow had some kind of ID on him when found, so I thought it would be pretty quick.

It's possible the UID was never reported missing, although it's odd that there was ID on the remains.

I can only imagine DNA testing is taking place, as confirmation? Maybe there's some mismatch between the ID and the remains?

I'm kinda wondering that. Either that, or they have nothing to share until something's announced publicly about the UID, no matter who it is.

It's possible the UID was never reported missing, although it's odd that there was ID on the remains.

I can only imagine DNA testing is taking place, as confirmation? Maybe there's some mismatch between the ID and the remains?

True - I just meant if it was Steven. It could be someone who was never missing or reported missing.

It's hard for me to believe they haven't got a positive ID by now, but who knows?

It irritates me when the media reports on something and then doesn't follow-up!

Cedar City UID

Maybe LE is trying to contact next of kin based on the ID found with remains. If this is the case we would know it's not SK.

Or, maybe they're trying to locate dental x-rays for a match. Or maybe the person had dentures. If either of these is the case then we know it's not SK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurse4home