NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one of the biggest things that makes me fear suicide. He had lost touch with or was avoiding most of his old friends -- for instance, ignoring Texas Tom's texts -- and didn't seem to have made new ones. He had church friends, seemed to get along with his boss and the landlord, but wasn't close to any of them. He'd had a fight with at least part of his family. Not a lot of network there to help him through a rough time.

....and when he talked to the Bishop about help finding a job (and obviously would have mentioned financial distress), he was put off until "after the holidays".

He could have been referred to LDS Services, where (in exchange for work), he could have earned some money to help with his debts.

I don't think he got along with the landlord; not with all of those calls coming in and Mrs LL later saying how her husband "felt guilty".

Yeah, all of that -- lots of blows in a rather short space of time.

....and one thing stands out to me, about those phone calls: none came in from the LL's two known phone numbers, between the morning of Dec 8th and late afternoon on Dec 13th.

Steven's in St George on Dec 8th, 9th daytime, 11th afternoon and the 12th (evening).

Was LL out of cellphone range, accounting for the lack of calls ... or did he know that Steven would be somewhere else, for part of that time?

I can think of several reasons; it would also fit into your scenario.

Because the person he was meeting, told him to park there?

... and if this person was truly familiar with the neighborhood, he also knew about the security cameras, and wanted Steven to "parade" in front of them?

... and if they were leaving for awhile, they knew they couldn't leave the car in front of someone's home for that long.

My questions are:
1 -- How would they have met, and which house did they belong to? The people in the few homes on EL, have been talked to several times. We don't know if the specific question "Did you have visitors at your home, that weekend?" was asked.

2 -- Did anyone from one of Steven's old LDS wards or schools, have relatives in SCA?

3 -- The big one: did anyone in SCA know GW?

Its been awhile since I have written, but I am BACK!

Remember GW went to Las Vegas to stay with friends? Maybe one of his friends had relatives in SCA. Maybe one of his friends,had another friend that lived there.

I just think GW acted odd, and it was more than a coincidence they were both there. My thought-and I am sticking to it.

How y'all doin? I didn't want to bug you, what with all the stuff you've been going through!

Remember GW went to Las Vegas to stay with friends? Maybe one of his friends had relatives in SCA. Maybe one of his friends,had another friend that lived there.

I just think GW acted odd, and it was more than a coincidence they were both there. My thought-and I am sticking to it.

That's about the only connection I can come up with: GW going to SCA, and maybe SK having gone along on Saturday - then maybe he leaves "abruptly" (maybe takes someone home???), goes back to St George, then goes back again ... but no one's at the party house, now.

It would have been good to know if there were several cars parked at a home in Overlook Village on Friday/Saturday night. Out of range of the security camera. Not necessarily SK's, but giving SK a chance to notice that really-great parking spot.

... and if this person was truly familiar with the neighborhood, he also knew about the security cameras, and wanted Steven to "parade" in front of them?

... and if they were leaving for awhile, they knew they couldn't leave the car in front of someone's home for that long.

My questions are:
1 -- How would they have met, and which house did they belong to? The people in the few homes on EL, have been talked to several times. We don't know if the specific question "Did you have visitors at your home, that weekend?" was asked.

2 -- Did anyone from one of Steven's old LDS wards or schools, have relatives in SCA?

Good to have you back sbakker! Hope all is well.

I agree.....odd. Guess we're going to keep coming back to that until there is no longer a reason to!

Something that has been bothering me from the beginning is a comment made by one of the men SK last spoke with. "Do what you have to do." This reply just irritates me, because it seems the type of reply that one would give, if one were being told of another's intentions, and you didn't exactly agree with them.

Or, maybe SK told him that he had a good lead on a job prospect, and he was meeting someone. Then I could see this remark being said.

However, we've all wondered why this person didn't ask SK what he was doing in LV. They were friends afterall, so it's not as if this question would have been out of bounds.

We don't even know if this man has said to others, "I wish I had asked Steven what he was doing in LV?" The comment made just seems so indifferent, but maybe that's this person's personality.

Can you elaborate on your comments? Who told Steven Koecher, "Do what you have to do? ' When was this said and in what context? The particular comment is generally associated with anger and someone who owes money.

Kelly

My questions are:

Who or what is GW? Thanks.

Who or what is GW? Thanks.

We use initials here, when referring to people who have not been named as suspects or POIs in a case.

GW is the first person to talk to SK on Dec 13th, and was the President of the young adults (singles ward) Bishopric (sorry if I've got that wrong). Steven was one of the Counselors.

If you go to the Sun, Dec 13 date on the timeline and click on GW, you'll see the first news article that describes him and his statements.

I'm so glad to see the most loyal of Steven's followers are still here contributing to the search. Thank you. Frankly, I have been stumped for the past few months and have had nothing to add.

I haven't ruled out suicide. I can see both sides of the fence, though, on this issue. Granted, we don't know for sure if Steven was suffering from depression, but some of his behaviors in weeks prior to his disappearance suggest something was off. And per one of his friends, he had been prescribed (or using without prescription) some type of medicine in the past. The gifts for his brother could have meant he intended to be around for Christmas, but they also could have been a goodbye. (Also, it was the family that came to the conclusion the gifts were for his brother - we have no way to independently verify that Steven bought these gifts with his family in mind. Although, the bib seems to fit, the ornaments could have been for anyone) The trip to Ruby Valley, spontaneous and unplanned, seems almost manic, suggesting bipolar depression. And his final cry for help could have been telling GW he was in Vegas. ANYONE with a brain should have/would have asked "Why are you in Vegas" giving Steven a chance to open up about his feelings, predicament, whatever. But the one person who called, who had the opportunity to ask, failed Steven. Most people who commit suicide are looking for an excuse not to go through with it. I think at least some of us agree that Steven wasn't attempting to hide his trail...and I believe that has something to do with the fact that he wanted to be followed, pursued, or to be talked out of it. Hence checking his voicemail....Steven was hoping someone would call (besides his employer or landlord) who would care enough to ask what he was doing and tell him he had other options. I realize it's odd that his body hasn't been found, but Steven had 20 hours to find somewhere to go off the beaten path. And a day on WS makes it clear that no matter where a person goes missing or is murdered, finding a body is never guaranteed; no matter how much or how little information is obtained by LE and no matter how much is known about their last days, last hours or last moments.

I guess the only problem with my theory is that damn file folder under his arm. Maybe it contains a final note to his family....

Susan-I have read your comments and I have to say that I don't agree with your conclusions at all with respect to bipolar depression and so forth. Again this type of mental illness doesn't come on in one day, it comes on over a period of a long time. With the onset of either mania or unipolar depression the person almost always exibits extreme irratiblity. I would not read too much into his driving around. Driving the distance that he did is not that unusual for a young man.

One thing to keep in mind is that the area that Mr. Kocher lives in has some very remote roads. Driving 500 miles in an area that becomes remote and desert is completely different then driving from San Diego to San Fransisco as you have a plethora of lights and traffic signals to contend with. Driving in the open space can go by pretty quick. Young men like to drive especially when they have lots on their minds. Driving long distants has a calming effect for many people and allows one to burn off stress.

Nobody can rule out suicide but I don't think it is likely. One thing you would have to think about is how did he carry out the suicide? Firearm, pills, hanging, jumpinig off a cliff, slashing his wrists?

I have not heard that he owned a firearm. He probably didn't hang himself due to the fact there is nothing in that area to hang a rope from. There are no cliffs in the immediate area. Finally people take pills most of the time because they are under the mistaken impression that taking pills is a painless way to commit suicide. So it would make no sense that he took pills to avoid the pain that other methods of suicide is associated with and then chose to take a five mile hike in the freezing miserable desert.

Again everything is possible I just dont think suicide is likely. However I could very well be wrong.

Kelly

We use initials here, when referring to people who have not been named as suspects or POIs in a case.

GW is the first person to talk to SK on Dec 13th, and was the President of the young adults (singles ward) Bishopric (sorry if I've got that wrong). Steven was one of the Counselors.

If you go to the Sun, Dec 13 date on the timeline and click on GW, you'll see the first news article that describes him and his statements.

I see, thanks.

How y'all doin? I didn't want to bug you, what with all the stuff you've been going through!

That's about the only connection I can come up with: GW going to SCA, and maybe SK having gone along on Saturday - then maybe he leaves "abruptly" (maybe takes someone home???), goes back to St George, then goes back again ... but no one's at the party house, now.

It would have been good to know if there were several cars parked at a home in Overlook Village on Friday/Saturday night. Out of range of the security camera. Not necessarily SK's, but giving SK a chance to notice that really-great parking spot.

Has anyone ever asked the person with the security camera to go back through his film for the previous sixty days before Mr. Koecher disappeared to see if he had ever pulled into that cul de sac before? I would be curious if he is on the video any time prior to the date he disappeared, that would confirm that he knew the area at the least, which seems to be the case by his actions and where he parked.

Kelly

Hi Kelly, and welcome to WS. It may not be any of my business, but are you a psychologist? You do not have to answer me, just curious. Its nice to have you here, and I am glad that you thought about GOING BACK ON THE VIDEO TAPE.

Susan-I have read your comments and I have to say that I don't agree with your conclusions at all with respect to bipolar depression and so forth. Again this type of mental illness doesn't come on in one day, it comes on over a period of a long time. With the onset of either mania or unipolar depression the person almost always exibits extreme irratiblity. I would not read too much into his driving around. Driving the distance that he did is not that unusual for a young man.

One thing to keep in mind is that the area that Mr. Kocher lives in has some very remote roads. Driving 500 miles in an area that becomes remote and desert is completely different then driving from San Diego to San Fransisco as you have a plethora of lights and traffic signals to contend with. Driving in the open space can go by pretty quick. Young men like to drive especially when they have lots on their minds. Driving long distants has a calming effect for many people and allows one to burn off stress.

Nobody can rule out suicide but I don't think it is likely. One thing you would have to think about is how did he carry out the suicide? Firearm, pills, hanging, jumpinig off a cliff, slashing his wrists?

I have not heard that he owned a firearm. He probably didn't hang himself due to the fact there is nothing in that area to hang a rope from. There are no cliffs in the immediate area. Finally people take pills most of the time because they are under the mistaken impression that taking pills is a painless way to commit suicide. So it would make no sense that he took pills to avoid the pain that other methods of suicide is associated with and then chose to take a five mile hike in the freezing miserable desert.

Again everything is possible I just dont think suicide is likely. However I could very well be wrong.

Kelly

Actually, the driving around prior to going missing is not the only red flag that points to a possible mental break or depression. There were other signs that could be interpreted as factors as well.

What I find most odd about all the driving is that, by all accounts, Steven had very little money. He was behind in his rent and, we have been told by those who knew him, desperately wanted to find a better job. Seems his time would have been better spent working or job hunting.

I resist the suicide theory simply because I feel he would have been found by now. And it doesn't make any sense for him to have come here for that -particularly if he wanted to remain hidden indefinitely. There are many, many areas near St. George where he could have accomplished that.

Has anyone ever asked the person with the security camera to go back through his film for the previous sixty days before Mr. Koecher disappeared to see if he had ever pulled into that cul de sac before? I would be curious if he is on the video any time prior to the date he disappeared, that would confirm that he knew the area at the least, which seems to be the case by his actions and where he parked.

Kelly

60 days? I doubt it.

But Mr Security gave SK's dad "a stack" of DVDs to go through. Nothing suspicious was ever spotted.

Have you reviewed the Q&A pages, linked to at the bottom of the timeline?
Those are questions we submitted through Steven's cousin, many of which she asked his parents on our behalf, and many which she was able to answer herself.

Actually, the driving around prior to going missing is not the only red flag that points to a possible mental break or depression. There were other signs that could be interpreted as factors as well.

What I find most odd about all the driving is that, by all accounts, Steven had very little money. He was behind in his rent and, we have been told by those who knew him, desperately wanted to find a better job. Seems his time would have been better spent working or job hunting.

I resist the notion of suicide simply because I feel he would have been found by now. And it doesn't make any sense for him to have come here for that - even if he wanted to remain hidden indefinitely.

Although I think suicide is a possibility, I don't think he went to LV for that purpose. He may have died by his own hand, hypothermia or misadventure after going there.

Although many areas have been searched, lots more haven't. The cases on our "similar cases" page are still open, and it's likely that their bodies are in the Vegas area somewhere.

Remember Canyon1 telling about the friend who disappeared in her area, and how many people searched for several weekends? He was never found.

Kelly

At least two of Steven's church/friends have told us that Steven was exhibiting some behaviors, and one said they obvious for a few years. Sometimes, friends notice things more than family (who are likely to not see changes).

His work records, inability to stay with a job, each job lesser than the one before (see timeline work record)....they may point to a fragile nature.

Not necessarily bipolar, but maybe an anxiety disorder.

We know he quit a good job at the Salt Lake Tribune because of the "worldly" nature of his coworkers - and perhaps, also, that of the readers.

All those links on the timeline are to news stories that detail various events in his life. Lots and lots of bits and pieces.

Although I think suicide is a possibility, I don't think he went to LV for that purpose. He may have died by his own hand, hypothermia or misadventure after going there.

Good point - but the elephant in the room remains; why DID he come here?

Although many areas have been searched, lots more haven't. The cases on our "similar cases" page are still open, and it's likely that their bodies are in the Vegas area somewhere.

Remember Canyon1 telling about the friend who disappeared in her area, and how many people searched for several weekends? He was never found.

There are thousands of such cases in the U.S. alone. I'm not a fan of hunting, but I look forward to hunting season every year because the remains of many missing persons are found by hunters in areas that would not otherwise be searched. As with little Lexis in LA. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of hunting going on around here!

Kelly

At least two of Steven's church/friends have told us that Steven was exhibiting some behaviors, and one said they obvious for a few years. Sometimes, friends notice things more than family (who are likely to not see changes).

His work records, inability to stay with a job, each job lesser than the one before (see timeline work record)....they may point to a fragile nature.

Not necessarily bipolar, but maybe an anxiety disorder.

We know he quit a good job at the Salt Lake Tribune because of the "worldly" nature of his coworkers - and perhaps, also, that of the readers.

All those links on the timeline are to news stories that detail various events in his life. Lots and lots of bits and pieces.

As for driving: leaving St George on a dark, cold night and driving almost all night (the long way!)...and then turning right around and coming back, is almost manic.

I/we drive a lot, too - three times from SLC to Ukiah, CA in the past five months. It's absolutely mindnumbing, boring, and the unchanging scenery makes the miles literally drag by. Whether he took the Wells, NV exit that leads to Ruby Valley or the "marked" Ruby Valley just outside Elko - that's not a fun drive. Plus, if he got any rest, it was in the car with a pillow and (likely) coats for cover.

Good point - but the elephant in the room remains; why DID he come here?

If he ended up dying by his own hand somehow, it really doesn't matter why he went there. It becomes only "where is he?" because he sure isn't anywhere near where that car was left. At least we've been assured so.

I'm not convinced.

The "why" comes into play if he's a walkaway or crime victim. Those things would have a likely connection.

There are thousands of such cases in the U.S. alone. I'm not a fan of hunting, but I look forward to hunting season every year because the remains of many missing persons are found by hunters in areas that would not otherwise be searched. As with little Lexis in LA. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of hunting going on around here!

Our general deer hunting season was only five days long this year, instead of the normal two weeks. And they were all snowy days.

I, too, was hoping that there'd be lots of people out in the hills. But apparently, not.

If he ended up dying by his own hand somehow, it really doesn't matter why he went there. It becomes only "where is he?" because he sure isn't anywhere near where that car was left. At least we've been assured so.

I'm not convinced.

The "why" comes into play if he's a walkaway or crime victim. Those things would have a likely connection.

I'm not convinced either.

I believe the "why" will lead to the answer of what happened to Steven - whatever it was. IMO, it is the key to everything. Was he here for a job interview? To meet a lover? To start a new life? To end his life?

Our general deer hunting season was only five days long this year, instead of the normal two weeks. And they were all snowy days.

I, too, was hoping that there'd be lots of people out in the hills. But apparently, not.

You do mean hunters, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member