NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, where do we go from here? What can we do?

Not much, sadly.

If Steven's alive, I'm afraid Rolf's death might deter him from returning home (guilt)?

If he's not alive, it's obvious he's not where anyone's looked.
If someone harmed him, it'll take a break in the case.
If he harmed himself, he was very good at hiding it.

Right now, we have to give the family some space.

Bumping up for Steven.

Still looking for you & hoping for news soon.

Does anyone know when the show the Koecher's came to St. george for, will air? Wasn't it going to be on the Discovery station?

NCMLO has conducted a search in the area where the initial bones were found, and have found more. Still no ID, pending DNA.

Source: KTNV.com

NCMLO has conducted a search in the area where the initial bones were found, and have found more. Still no ID, pending DNA.

Source: KTNV.com

While we await DNA results in this particular case, the bones found south of Southern Highlands are for now being referred to simply as John Doe.

While we await DNA results in this particular case, the bones found south of Southern Highlands are for now being referred to simply as John Doe.

If they don't have DNA or many bones, I doubt they know the gender.

I think it's time to start referring to them as Casenumber Doe.

Kris

If they don't have DNA or many bones, I doubt they know the gender.

I think it's time to start referring to them as Casenumber Doe.

Kris

That's what it sounded like to me, which is why I found it interesting they actually would say "John Doe."

Ya know, there is a local UID case here that is eerily similar to this situation - but it's several years old. Gonna go find it and post the link here. I just recently asked Frank Mahoney from the Nevada Center for Missing Loved Ones about it as they have been involved there as well. Still not ID'd.....

NV NV-5/22/08 Henderson, NV - Volunteers Search for Human Remains - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Here is the link to the UID case. There's not a lot of info and what there is doesn't make much sense to me. I do know the skull has not been ID'd, but I'm still confused about what was found by LE and what was found by NCMLO. I will see if I can get more info on that.

These remains were found in Henderson, but I don't see a reference to a specific location.

A post further down in that thread about the female skull found in 2008, quotes this:
A search was conducted that uncovered a skull, 5 1/2 miles northwest of US 93 & Boulder Highway.​

That's a strange location description...so I got out my trusty mapping software. It still doesn't make sense. 5-1/2 miles NW of US93 and Boulder Highway....is still on US-93/515 which runs NW at that point.

But it wouldn't be in the Southern Highlands area (where the current John Doe was found by the hiker last month), as that area's due west "US 93 & Boulder Highway".

A post further down in that thread about the female skull from 2008, quoes this:
A search was conducted that uncovered a skull, 5 1/2 miles northwest of US 93 & Boulder Highway.​

That's a strange location description...so I got out my trusty mapping software. It still doesn't make sense. 5-1/2 miles NW of US93 and Boulder Highway....is still on US-93/515 which runs NW at that point.

But it wouldn't be in the Southern Highlands area, which is due west of "US 93 & Boulder Highway".

What is unclear to me is whether LE found a complete skeleton and the skull was from another person, or whether all the remains were related. I know the skull has never been ID'd. I have asked Frank Mahoney of the NCMLO to help me to understand. Also have asked if he believes there is any connection to the remains found in the Southern Highlands area. Not sure he'll answer that question!

That's what it sounded like to me, which is why I found it interesting they actually would say "John Doe."

Ya know, there is a local UID case here that is eerily similar to this situation - but it's several years old. Gonna go find it and post the link here. I just recently asked Frank Mahoney from the Nevada Center for Missing Loved Ones about it as they have been involved there as well. Still not ID'd.....

There are indicators of gender on many bones -- if they have a skull, they can usually tell the gender, and often age and some ethnic backgrounds as well. Pelvic bones, too. Sometimes even a small piece of a skull can indicate gender if it's the right part of the skull.

And if it's a large robust skeleton, they might simply jump to the conclusion that it's male, because it most likely is.

What is unclear to me is whether LE found a complete skeleton and the skull was from another person, or whether all the remains were related. I know the skull has never been ID'd. I have asked Frank Mahoney of the NCMLO to help me to understand. Also have asked if he believes there is any connection to the remains found in the Southern Highlands area. Not sure he'll answer that question!

I guess I'm confused, because I don't see a logical connection between the two cases:

One case in Southern Highlands (UID, recently found).
Another case, 2008, female skull, "five miles NW of US-93 & Boulder Hwy".

They're fifteen miles apart.....

I guess I'm confused, because I don't see a logical connection between the two cases:

One case in Southern Highlands (UID, recently found).
Another case, 2008, female skull, "five miles NW of US-93 & Boulder Hwy".

They're fifteen miles apart.....

There is no connection to the Southern Highlands remains. What it sounds like is that they found remains belonging to more than one person at the 2008 site.

What I'm thinking is that LE found either a skeleton or a skull and NCMLO was sent out to find the rest.

There is no connection to the Southern Highlands remains. What it sounds like is that they found remains belonging to more than one person at the 2008 site.

What I'm thinking is that LE found either a skeleton or a skull and NCMLO was sent out to find the rest.

I guess I'm having a dull-brain weekend, and you'll have to spell it out for me.

According to KTNV.com (CLICK HERE), Mahoney's search last weekend, when more bones were found, was in the Southern Highlands -- rather than where the 2008 remains were found.

"...The effort to identify human remains found south of Southern Highlands is ramping up.....'We believe it's either a hand or a foot'....While we await DNA results in this particular case, the bones found south of Southern Highlands are for now being referred to simply as John Doe."

I guess I'm having a dull-brain weekend, and you'll have to spell it out for me.

According to KTNV.com (CLICK HERE), Mahoney's search last weekend, when more bones were found, was in the Southern Highlands -- rather than where the 2008 remains were found.

"...The effort to identify human remains found south of Southern Highlands is ramping up.....'We believe it's either a hand or a foot'....While we await DNA results in this particular case, the bones found south of Southern Highlands are for now being referred to simply as John Doe."

This is the link to the story regarding the remains found in 2008:

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/83685...r-human-remains?nav=menu102_2&redirected=true

As far as we know, there is no connection to the remains recently found in the Southern Highlands area. The only real connection is that both searches have been conducted by the Nevada Center for Missing Loved Ones, which is the same organization that conducted the first search for Steven in January (?) 2010.

It's really not that far from one site to the other, IMO. Both locations on the southern end of the city. There COULD be a connection, particularly if it is believed Steven was a murder victim.

This is the link to the story regarding the remains found in 2008:

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/83685...r-human-remains?nav=menu102_2&redirected=true

As far as we know, there is no connection to the remains recently found in the Southern Highlands area. The only real connection is that both searches have been conducted by the Nevada Center for Missing Loved Ones, which is the same organization that conducted the first search for Steven in January (?) 2010.

It's really not that far from one site to the other, IMO. Both locations on the southern end of the city. There COULD be a connection, particularly if it is believed Steven was a murder victim.

They're both at the southern end of the valley, but at opposite ends. 22 miles, driving distance, actually. We drove most of it, ten days ago.

Wed Dec 30 Henderson, NV
Henderson PD, LV Metro Police and Nevada Center for Missing Loved Ones canvassed the neighborhood and surrounding desert with helicopters, search dogs and ATVs. Homes with Utah-registered cars were investigated. (Source: Deanne Koecher on FB)
Thu Dec 31 Henderson, NV
A door-to-door information and flyer handout campaign is held, as well as more helicopter/dog searches.

I went to a Dr. app. today with my husband. We were talking, and the Dr. said that he had been Steven's bishop in his college ward when sk lived in salt lake. what a nice young man he was, and was always friendly. It was nice to hear a thought about sk and know that people have nice memories of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89