NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laytonian - I sent you a PM today - did you get it?

I am willing to send emails to local media, other police depts, local homeless organizations.

Naegle:
I don't see Steven's case on NCMA. National Center for Missing Adults.
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/content.php?webid=register
Family could register Steven's case there.

If the family is ready to donate their dna,
it can be done free of charge, through the LE agency.

I can enter Steven's missing person information into NaMus. NaMus
is used to identify missing persons with human remains that are found.
https://www.findthemissing.org/

They must have just entered the info:
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A201005786S

The passport was not found!?
:banghead:

You all are going to hate me for bringing this up...but my husband says he parked the car in Anthem because he or HF or the HG was trying to leave us a clue as to who might have an answer. Anthem is a lovely Del WEBB community.

I thought it was clever and then it got me thinking. Thanks husband!!!

Just sayin.....

Great to know! Now we just need to know if he had a valid, up-to-date passport.

You all are going to hate me for bringing this up...but my husband says he parked the car in Anthem because he or HF or the HG was trying to leave us a clue as to who might have an answer. Anthem is a lovely Del WEBB community.

I thought it was clever and then it got me thinking. Thanks husband!!!

Just sayin.....

Sorry - what's HF and HG?

CC--I finally understand what you mean. It took me a few times to get it, but that is really weird. Maybe just a coincidence, but also maybe the key to the problem. He didn't know he was being taped, but if this was all purposeful he knew the car would be found in a the del Webb neighborhood. That is just bizarre. It would hold true with the fact that (still IF he was disappeared purposefully) he has been very diligent about hiding his tracks. However, if he was disappearing purposefully, why would he leave such a deliberate clue? Even if it is totally obscure...

Sorry - what's HF and HG?

Sorry, seemed too ridiculous/sacrilegious to actually write. Heavenly Father...Holy Ghost. Just trying to lighten the mood.

I did finally get someone from First American Title to get me the deeds faxed...you would think they could email them in this day and age. I will look at them tomorrow. If the signatures match, and I suspect they will, guy on EL is associated with Sacramento, Salt Lake and that street.

Which leads me to another question...did Steven work on the Proposition campaign against gay marriage at all last year? (And no I am not asking this b/c I am suggesting anything about his sexuality)

Also, does anyone know what GW does for a living?

And today talking to the Property Manager at Anthem, I thought of another question, that I saw someone else post. Based on their normal procedures, they would not have access to Steven's cell or his mothers for that matter, nor do they do that. They have a tow away policy, etc. I have the CC&R's at work to look at tomorrow. How did they get Steven's cell phone number in order to leave a message? Did we get an answer to that? I wanted to ask her more questions and be specific about Steven, but I am not ready to lose her cooperation yet.

Naegle

In response to your question, "how can the family get more organized" you may want to have someone from the family contact Project Jason or visit their website http://www.projectjason.org/

They are an organization that specializes in helping families with missing persons. They should be able to speak with someone from your family to discuss what has already been done and what next steps should be.

Hope that helps.

I also saw his case on Project Jason. Here is the link:

http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=7657.0

Sorry, another long post, you guys post so much it is really hard for me to keep up with this thread. I can't be online very often.

This is something that I think is really interesting. Being that it's been mentioned that he just turned 30, has been kind of down about being single, not being able to get a job and having money problems, I can see how this could definitely upset him.

Did he by any chance have help getting his previous jobs? Did a relative know anyone? Were people particularly protective of him? Was he maybe treated like he was younger by his loved ones? I'm just wondering if maybe he moved to try and create a little distance. Maybe he wanted to prove that he could "make it on his own" get a job on his own, live in an apartment without people's help. This whole situation could've really hurt his pride. I know it's been mentioned that his mom said he was irritable towards her when she brought the money situation up.
StillLooking, had your husband been in contact with his parents before? Were they needed as cosigners of his lease?

I also wonder if the car was in his mom's name...or how people figured out that she should be called about it.

With all of this going on I can see how he might not mention a new job opportunity to someone. Maybe he's tired of telling people about jobs that he's trying to get and later on having to tell them that he didn't get them.

StillLooking, I want to say that I think it's really nice that you guys were trying to work with Steven instead of just kicking him out. I know it had to be tough for you to suddenly stop getting rent from both of your tenants.
DH had not contacted Steven's parents before, he listed them as contact persons on the rental application. I am sure that is why Steve was irritated when she brought it up. DH didn't call her (specifically, she is the one who answered, DH would have talked to either parent) until Steve was two months behind and they had no idea he was having a hard time paying bills. He had been telling them everything was fine. DH had mentioned to me that Steven seemed quite a bit younger than he really was.

I don't know if this is true but I thought the reason they called Steven mom about the car was that she was on the insurance or something like his policy was still through or with them.

Thanks for your comments about not evicting Steve. If you could have met him he seemed like such a sweet guy! He was very shy, at least when I met him, and polite. If he just could have kept paying his rent, he was the perfect tenant, we wanted more than anything for him to be happy and stay in our home if that is what he wanted as well.

We are still having a very hard time getting things paid and caught up. We need to clean and get the house rented. It feels so sad being at the house. I was standing in his empty room and it was just a overwhelming feeling of sadness. I am glad we just stopped for a minute on our way home. I didn't want to stay.

It was posted that the family believes it's Steven on the video because his phone pinged in Vegas and his car was found in that neighborhood. That means Nothing. The Christian Newsom trial tells us that. Many cases have told us that. Perps will create a false trail by using a victims car and phone.

Anyone could have been using his phone and anyone could have been driving his car.
I agree it could have been anyone on the tape. It did look like it could have been Steve but there are many men with a similar height and build.

Good morning. Lots of frustration here today :(

It's possible the family has something more to go on due to our discussions here. That would be great.

I'm going to continue driving by the Flamingo/Boulder Highway area & others that make sense to me looking for Steve until someone in the know tells me I'm wasting my time or until a better lead comes our way. Can't hurt anything.

As far as theories go, I just don't know what else there is to discuss.
I am so glad you will keep looking. It couldn't hurt and if I was close enough I would do the same thing.

I've been busy at work, and just caught up, and don't really have time to stick around.

I just wanted to point out that Naegle indicated she was withholding that one piece of information because she doesn't know who's reading here. I took that to mean that it refers to a person that Steven knows, and they may be on the forum.

Personally, I don't blame her for holding that information.
I don't either, if someone had planned harm to Steven then reading here might give them a tip and they would dissapear as well, if they haven't already.

Maybe it's possible we do know just about everything. I watched the Vegas news piece last night (that originaly aired a week or so ago) and Steven's parents say on it that they are stumped and at a standstill.
That's what I am thinking, there probably isn't that much to know.

"Obviously" nothing!! I asked those questions a few days ago because I spent the evening talking with my aunt and uncle about the case. Am I not allowed to have my own questions?? If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times- I am not holding anything back! Guess what! I don't know everything! Surprise!

I'm not talking about GW anymore because it makes my head hurt. LE has questioned him and things have checked out. What do you want me to do, tail him?? Of course, I don't trust him. I don't trust anyone. I don't trust a single one of you with Steven's life.

I'm doing my absolute best to help you people and from some of you all I get is "Oh, she must be lying because we haven't heard any dirt details yet." Don't you realize my life has turned upside-down? Give me a break will you?
:hug: I am so sorry you are all dealing with all of this. Please remember that we all have the same goal to see Steven found safe and alive.

I would really like help on the cell phone tower stuff. The problem is that I have 20 pages of "which cell phone towers had his signal", but they're an absolute mess. They printed out funny and I never saw the original to put them back together. When/if I get them cleaned up I will certainly get back to you all.

I also looked at his phone records and sadly they cut of on the 13th for calls and the 12th for texts. I thought the "dog that didn't bark" idea was good, but I don't have the info.

I agree that the Kmart videos would have been nice, but this was over a month ago. We couldn't even get videos from the gas station 2 weeks after. I guess we'll know better next time.

Do any of you have any advice on how to get our family more organized? His parents are so worn out and we can't get things to happen as fast as we'd like.
I like the idea of scanning them in that way you will have help. I know I would probably get a migraine trying to get it all typed up and dealing with the emotion of it all. I get the feeling that some might think the family comes accross as holding out on information but it's more likely that they just don't know which way to turn or how or where to organize information or who to enlist for help. It may be really hard for them to ask for outside help or who to turn to.

Tell us what you want to accomplish-as a family. Should there be more media attention in the LV area? Sacramento? St George? Is his family willing or have they already submitted DNA (toothbrush etc) and dentals in the event Steven cannot speak for himself? I worked on a case last year where a gentleman was discovered after a hit and run-his closed head injury prevented him from being able to communicate his own name etc...we were comparing him to a missing man from GA although the living John Doe was in Las Vegas...just for example. I have resources in the group of social workers who are GAL's for these kind of folks....right in the Vegas area.

Give us a frame work and then we can break the work up: some of us can post on Craigslist, some of us can write to local media, some of us can continue to try and get in touch with businesses located in the area of where Steven was caught on video.
Great idea/s! I think the family just needs more help getting organized.
I have often wondered how you guys do the organizing part. It seems to me that that would be one of the hardest things to do aside from coping. I would imagine no one wants to be in charge, they just want their loved one back. I can't function with chaos and I hate chasing my tail. If it were me I think I would ask someone that I trusted outside the family that isn't so emotionally invested to be in charge. I'm sure there is someone from church that would volunteer to do this. I think all information and leads need to flow through one source. Assignments need to be made with deadlines set and then followed up on. All this info needs to be stored in a place where all those involved can access it, like a blog or website. I think each day a todo list needs to be made, prioritezed and assigned and then checked off so things don't get passed up or overlooked.

Just my :twocents:
Ok, you guys are fantastic. To bad most people with missing family members don't know about these websites until after someone is missing. Great information here renn. If the family isn't already organizing like this they need to be.

Im not thinking that someone suspect will show signs, but actually being face to face with a family member may make someone more apt to say "No, I havent seen him, but this guy in this house ......"

Or "ya know, Mr. X used to have a car there all of the time and its not there anymore"

I do think it is a good idea to go to the homes in the neighborhood again. You just never know.

That is the problem, we just don't KNOW much of anything.

They must have just entered the info:
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A201005786S

The passport was not found!?
:banghead:

Well that answers one half of the passport/birth certificate questions we had.

I don't know about the rest of the regulars on here, but my passport is always home unless I am flying and I take it with me. He did not need his passport to buy ornaments at K-Mart and I don't know anyone who goes for a Sunday drive with their passport. In Steven's case, he was not flying anywhere since he had no money, so the passport was vital personal identification for future usage.

To me this helps solidify the fact that he was walking away from his life. On the one hand I was hoping the IHOP guy was Steven as he might be located but on the other hand if the IHOP guy was Steven he was in a terrible state of mind which is scary. Wherever he is right now, I just hope he is happy.

Well that answers one half of the passport/birth certificate questions we had.

Respectfully snipped. I know Steven needed a passport when he went on his mission; I wonder how long ago he returned. Passports are usually only valid for 10 years, so I think he would need to get it renewed by now. If it was already expired when he decided to renew, he would have to go through the entire application/ordering process again. Wonder if the family knows whether he's done this at some point previously (or even recently)? That should leave quite a paper trail, between the forms, birth certificate, photos, etc. However, I'm sure the federal government will not release that info about an adult, due to privacy laws.

ETA: If he applied for one very recently, the family would have the right info on Steven to be able to check the status of a passport application here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

(hopefully, if not too much time has passed, they would get a message like, "Your passport was delivered" or something like that.)

I also saw his case on Project Jason. Here is the link:

http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=7657.0

Thank you. I did not see his case on there. One thing I did find interesting was that post #10 states that his wallet, passport and cell are missing. I thought that was something we were having trouble getting answers to here.

ETA: Oops. I see you guys are a step ahead of me on the passport thing. Sorry.

As it turns out, there are some strange coincidences between the Steven Koecher disappearance and the vanishing of Trevor Morse.

Both men graduated HS in Texas
They had recently moved from the area where their parents lived.

They even looked a bit alike, and were both born in October.They were both 30 when they disappeared.

Both men vanished on Sunday afternoon,one on the far west side of the Vegas valley,and the other east of Vegas in Henderson

Neither man was described as depressed or suicidal when they vanished.

Both men were single.

Both men had left their vehicles to go meet someone (Speculating with regard to Steven). Trevor left his car and called a cab to meet someone.
Both men seemed to be making future plans, such as registering for classes or buying Christmas gifts before they vanished.

Another similarity was that LE did not take either of these cases seriously at the beginning. Trevor Morse's father feels that he was given the brush of by LE; the detective in his son's case told him that Trevor was in a rehab in Caliornia somewhere -- with nothing at all to back it up.

There are differences for sure ; Trevor was gainfully employed and doing well when he vanished, and,as far as I know was not LDS.Trevor went out to a club the night before he disappeared, and I do not know what Steven did on Saturday night ...

But, more importantly, both men were shown in videos moments before they vanished, never to be seen again.

I hope it is okay to post this ; it is a theory. However,if all we can do is sit and wait for tips to come in,we might wait a looong time.KWIM ?

Does Trevor have a thread on WS? If not, we can start one....just a thought but maybe IHOP guy is Trevor.

The state department should be able to determine if Steven left the country using his passport, please God. He may have sold it if he needed money.

Guys, I will PM Naegle that there is a framework we are suggesting to help ease the overwhelming detail of this case and that we would like family to weigh in before we set it in motion.

In order to keep the information and the threads manageable, I am going to start another one shortly. Bring over important links or posts, ok??

Does Trevor have a thread on WS? If not, we can start one....just a thought but maybe IHOP guy is Trevor.

I don't know how to start a thread but parsing through the Trevor info I have a few observations, so rather than clog up this Koecher thread, if you could start one for Trevor Morse that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust