NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the interest of discussion, why should they be?

I love discussion.

LE acted exactly as they should when this case initially broke. There are a lot of people reported missing in the Las Vegas area every day. Most are found fairly quickly. HPD checked into SK's background, looked around the neighborhood, and apparently ran checks on SK's relatives/related people. They did a physical search, ran down leads, and came up with nothing.

It's what they have done since the case scaled back that kind of confuses me. Why, after nearly two years of no contact, aren't the files re-opened and his case treated differently? They treated the case as a walkaway, and he hasn't been found. Perhaps looking at it from a different perspective may be a good idea.

There is a poster on the "Help Us Find Steven Koecher" FB who claims to have seen/met Steven in a parking lot not long after he went missing. This person claims to be in close contact with LE and insists he has some kind of inside information.

IMO, not only did he not see Steven - ever - but he knows nothing more than any of us know at this point. This person wants to be glorified in some way. I can't imagine why. Maybe he wants the reward?

He feels he is entitled to see the surveillance tapes from the Best Buy at which he claims to have seen Steven. Obviously, he has not been allowed to do so, which has led to "conspiracy" accusations against LE working Steven's case.

I am sorry the family has been forced to deal with this person's diatribe. But I do notice he has never come here to discuss Steven's case with us. I so wish he would drop in.

What kind of person would be cruel enough to perpetuate a flat out lie?

There is a poster on the "Help Us Find Steven Koecher" FB who claims to have seen/met Steven in a parking lot not long after he went missing. This person claims to be in close contact with LE and insists he has some kind of inside information.

IMO, not only did he not see Steven - ever - but he knows nothing more than any of us know at this point. This person wants to be glorified in some way. I can't imagine why. Maybe he wants the reward?

He feels he is entitled to see the surveillance tapes from the Best Buy at which he claims to have seen Steven. Obviously, he has not been allowed to do so, which has led to "conspiracy" accusations against LE working Steven's case.

I am sorry the family has been forced to deal with this person's diatribe. But I do notice he has never come here to discuss Steven's case with us. I so wish he would drop in.

What kind of person would be cruel enough to perpetuate a flat out lie?

I agree with you about his contention regarding the tapes. In what scenario would any police department allow a civillian to examine surveillance tapes in the middle of an investigation? It doesn't work that way, and never has.

I don't know what his motives are, but I have to believe in my heart that he thinks he saw Steven. However, in getting tips on this case, I now realize that false-tips are more pervasive than I originally thought.

That said, I've corresponded with this particular person on several occasions. I do not believe his sighting is credible.

I agree with you about his contention regarding the tapes. In what scenario would any police department allow a civillian to examine surveillance tapes in the middle of an investigation? It doesn't work that way, and never has.

Indeed.

I don't know what his motives are, but I have to believe in my heart that he thinks he saw Steven. However, in getting tips on this case, I now realize that false-tips are more pervasive than I originally thought.

I can't imagine what his motives are - this far in. And you know I thought I spotted Steven once myself. I was sure it was him at the time, but I have never seen him again and have let it go.

That said, I've corresponded with this particular person on several occasions. I do not believe his sighting is credible.

Can you imagine why he feels compelled to perpetuate his "sighting" and why he feels it necessary to accuse people of hiding information from him, specifically?

I can't.

I was so hoping I'd learn of a new break in Steven's case on websleuths after my real life settled down.

We are settled in Sacramento now, and I'll keep my eyes out for SK. I still have some of the cards made by Laytonian, and I'll leave them around SacTown.

I suspect that SK's case is going to end up as one of those tv programs, "I Almost Got Away With It."

One thing I wonder about, if public tax and housing sale records for the homes in that area were checked - might indicate something...wonder if LE did that? Things to look for that come to mind would be a house that rented (owners name doesn't match mailing name), house owned a short time, and sold for a loss..., house that's been sold and resold a number of times...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this case was not aggressively investigated because LE was not convinced something bad had happened.

Exactly. I want to know if someone can please tell me how many houses were in the area Steven was seen last walking towards, who lives there and who was home at the time. Was the street he was walking on long? The fact that he parked his car where he did leads me to believe his place of destiny was one of the homes closest to the car. Can anyone lead me to an overhead image of the neighborhood?

Can anyone lead me to an overhead image of the neighborhood?

Here's an overhead.

The dead end at bottom center is where his car was parked. He walked north on that street (Savannah Springs) and then turned left, crossing to the north side of Evening Lights. The house with the surveillance cameras is the corner house, bottom center, with the pool.

Here's an overhead.

The dead end at bottom center is where his car was parked. He walked north on that street (Savannah Springs) and then turned left, crossing to the north side of Evening Lights. The house with the surveillance cameras is the corner house, bottom center, with the pool.

Thank you much. From looking at the neighborhood, I really don't believe Steven was planning on parking and walking away to disappear into the woods to end his life or anything like that. Nor do I think he was meeting someone to disappear with. I mean, why there of all places? If he were to walk down that street, wouldn't there be a decent chance he would believe someone would see him, especially on a Sunday at noon? In addition, his manner of walking with a purpose leads me to believe he was without a doubt walking to a finite destination, one of the residences on the north side of Evening Lights, probably one of the first couple of houses. So, what do we know about the people who own/occupy those homes?

Thank you much. From looking at the neighborhood, I really don't believe Steven was planning on parking and walking away to disappear into the woods to end his life or anything like that. Nor do I think he was meeting someone to disappear with. I mean, why there of all places? If he were to walk down that street, wouldn't there be a decent chance he would believe someone would see him, especially on a Sunday at noon? In addition, his manner of walking with a purpose leads me to believe he was without a doubt walking to a finite destination, one of the residences on the north side of Evening Lights, probably one of the first couple of houses. So, what do we know about the people who own/occupy those homes?

I totally agree with you. As I've said many times -- if he were planning on dumping his car and running away from his life, why that neighborhood? It is VERY far out of the way, and appears to me to be a destination. Moreover, the fact that he pulls in to the neighborhood at 11:55, waits in his car five minutes, and then walks up the street at noon, leads me to believe he had an appointment of some sort. But who knows?

We don't know much about the people who own/occupy those homes. A few are owner-occupied and a few are rentals.

....snipped to go to the question.... So, what do we know about the people who own/occupy those homes?

Hi....Since the search function here is rather powerful, we use it to get through the many threads of SK information.

I did a search of "Evening Lights owners" and asked that the response be by post rather than by thread.....this is what I found.....

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4571508

By changing words, you might get better information.

Good luck.

I love discussion.

LE acted exactly as they should when this case initially broke. There are a lot of people reported missing in the Las Vegas area every day. Most are found fairly quickly. HPD checked into SK's background, looked around the neighborhood, and apparently ran checks on SK's relatives/related people. They did a physical search, ran down leads, and came up with nothing.

It's what they have done since the case scaled back that kind of confuses me. Why, after nearly two years of no contact, aren't the files re-opened and his case treated differently? They treated the case as a walkaway, and he hasn't been found. Perhaps looking at it from a different perspective may be a good idea.

Because as far as anyone can tell, he said 'Sayonara' and nothing has surfaced since then to make LE see any differently. Well, that is being shown to the public anyway.

I totally agree with you. As I've said many times -- if he were planning on dumping his car and running away from his life, why that neighborhood?

Why not?

It is VERY far out of the way

Relatively speaking it was close to where he was going at the time for some reason.

Iand appears to me to be a destination. Moreover, the fact that he pulls in to the neighborhood at 11:55, waits in his car five minutes, and then walks up the street at noon, leads me to believe he had an appointment of some sort. But who knows?

The Shadow Knows.....
IWe don't know much about the people renting

I bet we know even less about Steven

Because as far as anyone can tell, he said 'Sayonara' and nothing has surfaced since then to make LE see any differently.

Maybe. It's just as valid a theory as any others.

Weygand said:

As I've said before, if I were dumping a car, I wouldn't pick an upper-middle class neighborhood. There are plenty of places to dump your car in LV where it wouldn't go noticed for weeks. Further, the distance that neighborhood is from anything a non-resident would frequent also makes me curious. Finally, if he was meeting someone and looking to escape his life, I suspect that person would pick a less conspicuous location.

Weygand said:
Relatively speaking it was close to where he was going at the time for some reason.

I don't follow -- where was he going at the time?

Weygand said:
The Shadow Knows.....

The Shadow knows all, and he's not telling.

Weygand said:
I bet we know even less about Steven

We know Steven's name, which is much more than some of the residents.

I totally agree with you. As I've said many times -- if he were planning on dumping his car and running away from his life, why that neighborhood? It is VERY far out of the way, and appears to me to be a destination. Moreover, the fact that he pulls in to the neighborhood at 11:55, waits in his car five minutes, and then walks up the street at noon, leads me to believe he had an appointment of some sort. But who knows?We don't know much about the people who own/occupy those homes. A few are owner-occupied and a few are rentals.

bbm

I always thought that as well until SK told GW that he could go back if he needed to. So if it was an appointment, it either wasn't important, or he was having second thoughts about it, hence that is why he was procrastinating getting out of the car.

I love discussion.

bbm

Exactly, I have always felt, if this same situation was a woman, it would have been treated totally different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member