NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks yeahitsanna! The link I posted was the only story I could find on the case. I just think it's interesting that he went missing 7 - 10 days before Steven, in Nevada, and his car was also found abandoned.

O/T FYI - Josh Powell was seen on a flight last night from Seattle headed to Utah. He's baaaackkkkk!

What?!!??? Why is he back?! What did he do with the kids?!

And to clarify my question... Yes. How did they know each other (if at all) and how did they do living together? ( i know steven complained about him eating his food but were there other complaints?)

Maybe this is silly, but if Steven is still alive he probably knows his bank account has a $0.00 balance and that's why he isn't using it. Ok that is silly. But I thought the family had said that Steven's mom had transferred money to his account and it wasn't used. So is his bank account a zero balance minus the money his mom gave him, or was that money used or taken back (by his mother/family?)?

Maybe this is silly, but if Steven is still alive he probably knows his bank account has a $0.00 balance and that's why he isn't using it. Ok that is silly. But I thought the family had said that Steven's mom had transferred money to his account and it wasn't used. So is his bank account a zero balance minus the money his mom gave him, or was that money used or taken back (by his mother/family?)?

His job was under the table. He got paid in cash. It could be he used the rest if what was in his account and is now using cash.

I had the same question about the money in his account from his mom. I was talking to my dad about this case last night and thought about it.

What do I think?
Based on what I've read about Steven, I believe he would be incapable of the intricate planning required to carry out "the perfect disappearance", by himself.

That leaves me with two possibilities:

1 - Someone helped him. Whether they had good or bad intentions, I do not know. He doesn't seem to be the gigolo type that someone would be willing to financially support in exchange for ... washing windows? Would he stay away from his family for this long? Did he want to be a Basque sheepherder in the Elko/Ruby Valley area? Are there typically ads that say "sheepherders wanted, we furnish trailer, meet up in Anthem Sun City"? That leaves bad intentions. But then, why lure him so far away, when they could have popped him off in the dark parking lot of Kmart, the night before?

2 - He parked there, went for a walk, then took his own life.

I hate this, but I'm still leaning towards #2.

Why:
We have an indication his cellphone was used on Dec 14th to call his voicemail...but we don't know the technicalities of it. Is it possible that someone found the phone, tried to find its owner, it went dead, and they threw it away?

The government doesn't come in and swoop applicants off the street. If he had somehow qualified for a position, there's an application process, references, security investigations and a ton of paperwork. Others would have known he was applying.

If he found a ranch job like Keri Bray, wouldn't that be a step UP from washing windows...and he'd tell his family about it?

Keri Bray, mentally challenged and having no relatives, was able to walk away from the the developmental center in 1986 because things were different. No security cameras. Few missing persons networks. He was an adult. He had no close relatives. Basically, no one cared. There was limited local news (I remember hearing about it...but it quickly faded away).

Remember, he was using debit cards.
A $0 balance means you are not in the hole, and can spend up to the card's limit.
I suspect that when his mother transferred money, it was to pay off the overdraft, allowing him to again use the card(s).

But he's not used it/them.

Laytonian
What I meant was that it is *ironic* that Steven ended up washing windows for 100.00, when he very probably could have gotten hired by the federal government. Not that he DID get hired. Should have made that more clear.Also, the disappearing /reappearing cowboy: I mentioned it only because it illustrates that life is strange, and we can only guess about people.
If he took his own life, I wonder how ? Although, I'll admit, this has crossed my mind ...
That case you are sleuthing : really interesting. Is there a WS link ?

And to clarify my question... Yes. How did they know each other (if at all) and how did they do living together? ( i know steven complained about him eating his food but were there other complaints?)

That'll take a combination of Naegle and the landlady to answer ;)

I'll ask Naegle and maybe the landlady will check back in. She's posted quite a bit here (she's stillLooking), and has given us lots of details.

Hey, thanks for stopping by!

Here's a few more possibilities on that giant-sized food:

When you grow up in a big family (I did, too), there's nothing but large sizes in the family pantry, and that's what you gravitate to, when you shop. You're taught that the "big one is cheaper" and "it'll last longer". The first thing I bought, when I got my own apartment? A 3-pound can of coffee.

A two-pound brick of cheese is something my husband eats in a week. A little chunk at a time.

Maybe some of those things were given to Steven by his folks, out of their two-year-food storage, ready to be turned over and replaced. (No, we're not going to ask you for the expiration dates!)

Thanks!

When Steven's dad called him to ask if he was okay (after hearing the message that DH left on their answering maching about Steve now being 3 months behind, which was left between Dec 1-5) he said Steve was shopping at Walmart while on the phone with him. I assume this must be when he purchased most of the food. None of it was expired and appeared to be very new. The loaf of bread only had like 4 pieces gone and wasn't moldy or exp.

I kind of got the impression he had just been paid was getting groceries and was telling his dad, I'm fine buying groceries at Walmart now, don't worry.

Welcome, from another Utahn!

Can you clarify your first question a bit?
Are you asking whether Steven and Jordan knew each other, prior to their becoming co-renters?

I am sure they did not know each other prior to being co-renters.

Laytonian
What I meant was that it is *ironic* that Steven ended up washing windows for 100.00, when he very probably could have gotten hired by the federal government. Not that he DID get hired. Should have made that more clear.Also, the disappearing /reappearing cowboy: I mentioned it only because it illustrates that life is strange, and we can only guess about people.
If he took his own life, I wonder how ? Although, I'll admit, this has crossed my mind ...
That case you are sleuthing : really interesting. Is there a WS link ?

Ah, I get you. But I don't even think it's "very probable" at all, that he could have been hired by the government, or even go through the application process. Despite his college education, a communications degree really doesn't qualify you for much ... and he wasn't able to translate that even into a journalism career. Maybe if he knew Arabic, rather than Portuguese?

I think Steven was "unfocused", and a bit plodding.

This is the only case I'm following. fasteddy4 brought up Utah's Keri Bray case, which had little news coverage. He was found, years later, working as a ranch hand in Texas. It was when he wrecked a truck that his name became known to LE, and he was ID'd. All settled, case closed.

That'll take a combination of Naegle and the landlady to answer ;)

I'll ask Naegle and maybe the landlady will check back in. She's posted quite a bit here (she's stillLooking), and has given us lots of details.

I'm not sure how well they got along. I don't think there were any big issues. I do not think they ever hung out together unless home at the same time but I can't say for sure. Jordan was a partier, drank beer (at least there was beer in the fridge until he moved out) and smoked (but not inside, there were butts all over outside, we keep finding them everywhere!)

Were there any complaints lodged? Did the landlord do anything when Jordan was accused of "delinquencies to minors?"

No complaintes lodged. The delinquencies thing was before he lived at our place I thought. If not we didn't know about it so nothing was done.

Laytonian,

Any foreign language is good. A degree in communications,and an ability to write well, even better. I looked at the federal jobs website, and saw a few openings for Portuguese speakers.Many more for people who can write. They don't mind people who are "plodding"; I am not talking about a job with a high level of security clearance here.I just mean an everyday kind of job.Lots of openings in every govt. agency. Speaking of which, I remeber seeing that Steven's resume lists his job interest as being in the area of technical writing ; had he ever actually worked as a technical writer ?
( To clarify : I meant the case that happened with the husband and wife on the beach in Florida).

Laytonian,

Any foreign language is good. A degree in communications,and an ability to write well, even better. I looked at the federal jobs website, and saw a few openings for Portuguese speakers.Many more for people who can write. They don't mind people who are "plodding"; I am not talking about a job with a high level of security clearance here.I just mean an everyday kind of job.Lots of openings in every govt. agency. Speaking of which, I remeber seeing that Steven's resume lists his job interest as being in the area of technical writing ; had he ever actually worked as a technical writer ?
( To clarify : I meant the case that happened with the husband and wife on the beach in Florida).

You've seen the resume? Come on, let us in on it.
I've been dying to read it, having only seen the LinkedIn profile.

I thought we were talking about the same case: April Barber, on the beach in Florida (?)

You must have worked for the government, to know they don't mind "plodders"? Me, too! 27 years...except we minded "plodders" ;)

Yeahitsanna -- did stillLooking's answers clarify things for you?
I can still ask Naegle, but I don't think she's got that particular insight.

Yeahitsanna -- did stillLooking's answers clarify things for you?
I can still ask Naegle, but I don't think she's got that particular insight.

Yeah but i wonder if he complained to the family about anything. ore expressed concern about the people he may have brought to the house? can we ask her that?

When Steven's dad called him to ask if he was okay (after hearing the message that DH left on their answering maching about Steve now being 3 months behind, which was left between Dec 1-5) he said Steve was shopping at Walmart while on the phone with him. I assume this must be when he purchased most of the food. None of it was expired and appeared to be very new. The loaf of bread only had like 4 pieces gone and wasn't moldy or exp.

I kind of got the impression he had just been paid was getting groceries and was telling his dad, I'm fine buying groceries at Walmart now, don't worry.

I am sure they did not know each other prior to being co-renters.

Ahhhh.....thank you!

It's bits like this, that tell us what he was doing when, that help fill in the blanks.

His job was under the table. He got paid in cash. It could be he used the rest if what was in his account and is now using cash.

I had the same question about the money in his account from his mom. I was talking to my dad about this case last night and thought about it.

True, but according to Naegle, Steven got paid only about $100.00 shortly before he disappeared. We also now know that he bought groceries. If a transaction for Walmart didn't show up on the debit card, he must have used some of his cash. That means he's got to be pretty short on cash by now.

Also, Laytonian - I have always felt like suicide was possible, especially after checking his voicemail and potentially finding that no one was looking for him. However, I've never heard of anyone taking a file folder or a passport with them to commit suicide.

Cheerleader here!

We need to regroup. Steven is still missing and we need to figure out how to find him.

Who believes we're looking for a live Steven?

Who doesn't?

I'm undecided. I don't think he chose to disappear, at least not at the time he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr