NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but he was on foot - in tennis shoes. How far in could he have been? There's not a lot of vegetation, but it's very rocky and rugged. Not easy to traverse. And they were looking for HIM.

How far in? If that was him checking for phone messages on the 14th, he could be in the actual mountains...not just those barren foothills.
They were looking for him, 2.5 weeks after he disappeared. If he's in that area, he's not the Steven we see in the pictures.

Like I say, I am sure he would have been found by now if he had some plan to drowned. The fact, though, is that if he was grabbing a bus or looking to go out into the desert he would have walked back up Savannah not head down Evening Lights. (By the way, this idea that that is not Steven in the videos does not fly with him. I mean, what are the odds that a guy with Steven's similar height, weight, skin color, hair color, etc. assaults him and hijacks his car? Possible but remote.)

You have better eyes than I do. When I watch that video, I see a figure who appears much thinner than Steven did in his recent photos, and I really can't tell skin color, hair color, or height.

laytonian, you are right that it would be hard to cover every square inch in that area. But to think Steven could outwalk the area covered by all those people, helicopters, and ATV's would be a bit incredible. However, out in the desert around Vegas there are sinkholes that could swallow up an adult if he is not watching his step. But, to fall into one on a bright sunny day would almost have to be done on purpose. I guess that is a possible suicide method but one of the most terrible ones I can think of. Surely, he would have done something a bit more "easy".

In addition, and this could lend some credibility to the desert theory. There are MANY and I do mean MANY wolves on the fringes of Las Vegas. I hear many stories about how wolves come into people's backyards and run off with people's pets. So, if Steven did possibly walk out into the desert and kill himself, a pack of wolves probably would have come upon his body pretty quickly. And in that case, it would be very hard to find or identify, from the air especially. It might be gone period.

Still, he walks out into the desert and does what? Waits to die from starvation? From dehydration? From cyanide poisoning? Hypothermia when night falls? It doesn't seem to me that he was hiding a gun in those videos? Stabbed himself? Do any of those or any other method work for this scenario?

Outwalk? He had a 2.5 week lead. It wasn't a race...and if you back up the satellite view, you see a wide range of foothills that would have been impossible to fully check in a weekend. What they'd have been looking for, would have been remains and clothing. Wolves don't eat clothing.
If he harmed himself, I'd predict a gunshot or an overdose.

If they keep going back to that same area, I'd think they've triangulated the last cellphone call to that general area.

How far in? If that was him checking for phone messages on the 14th, he could be in the actual mountains...not just those barren foothills.
They were looking for him, 2.5 weeks after he disappeared. If he's in that area, he's not the Steven we see in the pictures.

Ok - but I doubt he would have had enough cell phone coverage to check his messages.

So, are we thinking that he parked his car in SCA, walked off into the foothills, hiked up into the mountains, checked his voicemail messages and offed himself?

St. George is surrounded by desert and mountains. If he wanted to be concealed after committing suicide, he could quite easily have done it there. Why drive all the way to Vegas, park his car in a lovely neighborhood and walk off into the foothills or mountains to carry out his plan? It doesn't make any sense to me. :waitasec:

Ok - but I doubt he would have had enough cell phone coverage to check his messages.

So, are we thinking that he parked his car in SCA, walked off into the foothills, hiked up into the mountains, checked his voicemail messages and offed himself?

St. George is surrounded by desert and mountains. If he wanted to be concealed after committing suicide, he could quite easily have done it there. Why drive all the way to Vegas, park his car in a lovely neighborhood and walk off into the foothills or mountains to carry out his plan? It doesn't make any sense to me. :waitasec:

I could not agree with you more Fairy.

Outwalk? He had a 2.5 week lead. It wasn't a race...and if you back up the satellite view, you see a wide range of foothills that would have been impossible to fully check in a weekend. What they'd have been looking for, would have been remains and clothing. Wolves don't eat clothing.
If he harmed himself, I'd predict a gunshot or an overdose.

If they keep going back to that same area, I'd think they've triangulated the last cellphone call to that general area.

One of the million dollar questions!

I thought the call from the cell phone to check voicemail was made the day after Steven was seen in video. And that call was made from Vegas. Not Henderson.

Please ask Naegle if they know if there was a password to check the voicemail or if the cell could auto-dial the voicemail if somebody else had the cell phone.

One of the million dollar questions!

We've been asking Naegle if SHE'S been able to decipher the gibberish that the phone records printed out as. We can ask her every day for the next six years, and those records aren't going to be any clearer.

Neither the family or we have any idea what LE knows...and they're not sayin'.

I thought the call from the cell phone to check voicemail was made the day after Steven was seen in video. And that call was made from Vegas. Not Henderson.

Please ask Naegle if they know if there was a password to check the voicemail or if the cell could auto-dial the voicemail if somebody else had the cell phone.

All we know about the Dec 14th call to voicemail is it was "from the Vegas area".

I can ask that question, but I'd be surprised if Naegle has that information or access to it. It's on the list, though. For tomorrow ;)

Naegle shouldn't have to decipher it. Whoever processed the records for the cell phone ping should have said "the phone was right there". Remember the Elizabeth Olten case... "the cell phone is deep in the woods behind her house."

Cell phone, wallet, passport, licence... all missing. If he was going somewhere for a long time, he would take all of that with him. But he would have taken the shaving kit too.

If he left it all in the car, somebody might steal the phone and wallet, but would they take the rest? Surely they wouldn't steal the shaving kit. Would they lock the doors after stealing the items? The theft would be on video.

I don't know why Steven was in that neighbourhood, but I think he was going to a specific address. Somehow from there he went to Vegas in another vehicle. He was still safe the next day to check his voicemail. Then something happened to him.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it (and I won't repeat it 6 times over the next 2 pages).

If it did it in St George, it'd be visible. I think, if he went there on his own, he did so to be "away" from the people he knew. He'd been avoiding his oldest friend Tom's FB and texts. He'd been avoiding the landlord's calls. The only calls we know he answered, in the last two days, were from his fellow church members.

IF the rest of his life had been on an even keel, I'd have an easier time believing that he configured a highly-detailed plan (even conspiring with someone else) to disappear. I don't think he could have done that.

But we've plowed these fields for a month now, and no one's changed their opinion.

SO...what did everyone think of those car images?
Or the "job loss" info added to the timeline today?

We've been asking Naegle if SHE'S been able to decipher the gibberish that the phone records printed out as. We can ask her every day for the next six years, and those records aren't going to be any clearer.

Neither the family or we have any idea what LE knows...and they're not sayin'.

There must be some kind of way for these records to be presented in a way that PEOPLE can actually understand them, don't you think? I have no idea what that would be, but it's become such an important factor in LE investigations I feel it's not overwhelmingly impossible.

It will be interesting to learn the area the Henderson PD plans to search next. Could be very telling...

As far as him looking thinner, from Steven stats, he and I are about the same build. He has an inch on me in height but we are about the same weight. When I look at the video, I see somebody of my similar build, skin color, etc. Now, you're right. . .there are more white skinned, 5 10-ish, 160-200 guys in the U.S. than almost any other demographic. But I counter that with Steven's family watching the video, Steven's friends watching the video, them probably comparing that video to other videos they have of Steven walking at functions, etc. and then seemingly deciding that that is Steven is in the video. That is good enough for me. Plus, wouldn't a fish eye lens make things look thinner? Since before you said that the car is not going as fast as it seems on the right side of the frame because of the distortion of the fish eye lens, does that not mean that things are compressed and not elongated on fish eye lenses? Thus, wouldn't Steven appear thinner than he really is? Not my area of expertise. In the end, I will go with the family's word. I know if that was me on that video, my family having seen my walk, posture, gestures, etc. would probably be able to pick me out just from the experience of being around me.

Actually, Steven had about a 2 day lead because that is all the further he would probably be able to go without food, water, shelter, warm clothes, etc. And unless he was dead set (forgive the pun) on offing himself, he would probably stop after one night because he would be freezing. And I know those hills well, I see them every day. And since it doesn't sound like he exercised much we might be able to lower that to a 1.5 days. Sure, a person could walk pretty far in a day and a half. But I know for sure that Steven could have walked a lot further had he started at sunrise and not noon. At noon he only had about 5 hours of good daylight and good warmer weather if he wanted to get WAY out in the sticks.

As for the wolves, wolves generally drag their prey back to their hideout if they can. It's not like dogs are getting attacked and eaten in their backyard. The wolves attack and drag the dog/cats away. Now, would they be able to do that with a 180lb. human. Those wolves are strong. A couple of them could probably drag him further than we would probably suspect. Then, the clothes would go with him. And in those hills are a lot of caves. In fact, back a few years ago, a hiker found the remains of a human in a cave out by E. Lake Mead going toward the lake. Guy had been shot twice and somebody had disposed of the body in the cave. The identity is still unknown and nobody has ever been caught. Could Steven walked out into the desert, crawled into one of those caves and died. Once again, I suppose. I still think he was walking in the wrong direction and there were a lot better places to park.

If it did it in St George, it'd be visible. I think, if he went there on his own, he did so to be "away" from the people he knew. He'd been avoiding his oldest friend Tom's FB and texts. He'd been avoiding the landlord's calls. The only calls we know he answered, in the last two days, were from his fellow church members.

IF the rest of his life had been on an even keel, I'd have an easier time believing that he configured a highly-detailed plan (even conspiring with someone else) to disappear. I don't think he could have done that.

But we've plowed these fields for a month now, and no one's changed their opinion.

SO...what did everyone think of those car images?
Or the "job loss" info added to the timeline today?

Your point about his avoiding calls other those from his church members has me thinking. Why would he respond only to those folks he seemed to be avoiding that day? He obviously wasn't going to make it to church and didn't seem to feel the need to let them know that in advance. Yet he answered their calls. Hmmmmm.

No, I don't see Steven, himself, putting together a highly detailed plan to disappear. But someone could have been coaching him on how to do it.

Is there any way at all to track what people who use library computers are doing? I've never done it so I don't know what is required to log on.

okay answering the "poll" from a couple pages ago. I think he is still alive, I hoping, praying I should say.
Walking into the desert really doesn't make sense to me. This whole thing doesn't make sense. It would have been nice if he was a computer calendar user - then we might know why he was in anthem that sunday. I feel a little lost at this point but I'm not going to stop lurking & brainstorming.

Fairy - I agree, that statement about him avoiding others phone calls but answering the calls from church people - interesting.

Was he separating himself from those that were closest to him & just allowing superficial relationships in his life .... i've done this when I was a bit down - b/c I didn't care what those superficial people thought & I was more excepting of their comments b/c I didn't feel like they were judging me. hmmmm so many possibilities

Your point about his avoiding calls other those from his church members has me thinking. Why would he respond only to those folks he seemed to be avoiding that day? He obviously wasn't going to make it to church and didn't seem to feel the need to let them know that in advance. Yet he answered their calls. Hmmmmm.

No, I don't see Steven, himself, putting together a highly detailed plan to disappear. But someone could have been coaching him on how to do it.

Is there any way at all to track what people who use library computers are doing? I've never done it so I don't know what is required to log on.

LE would have to subpoena the computer, mirror the hard drive, and then go through ALL of it (from hundreds/thousands of users) to find things. Unless he logged on to something, it would have all been anonymous.

Most libraries have cameras monitoring their computer area, but it's been 1.5 months...

LE would have to subpoena the computer, mirror the hard drive, and then go through ALL of it (from hundreds/thousands of users) to find things. Unless he logged on to something, it would have all been anonymous.

Most libraries have cameras monitoring their computer area, but it's been 1.5 months...

Well, this doesn't sound very promising. But you have to wonder why he would be using the library computers instead of his own. That just opens up a whole new world of possibilities. More questions to which we will never know the answers, I'm thinking....

If the libraries system is anything like where I live we have to log in with our library card & use a password.... there has to be a way to look up his logins & what he did - you would think right - big brother and all - it could be possible

I feel that Steven left his car in that area because he knew it would be easy to find and sooner rather than later. Am I right that his Mom or parents were co-signers on the car loan? So, I'm thinking he knew he wouldn't be able to pay for it, but he didn't want it to be stolen or go unnoticed for any length of time. IMO, if someone had stolen the car from Steven, it would have been stripped. I don't think many carjackers or thieves are just looking for a ride to a retirement community.

The mountain area behind the Sun City Anthem community lead away from Las Vegas. There's no way his phone could have pinged in the Vegas area the following day if he had gone off in the opposite direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heartishome