NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Layonian - on the timeline where it says "receipt" was that an acutal receipt that they found in his car or just a debit card purchase? Is it possible that he could have loaned his card to someone? I'm sorry if i missed this already....

Yes, if it says "receipt", the information came from a receipt found in the car.

If it says "purchase", it's from a bank record.

ONE bank record showed the purchase date (and that's noted); not all did.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the timeline page, you'll see a link that says "receipts" and lists all expenditures that have been accounted for. It's the raw data that Naegle posted here. In fact, you can research her post (I remember the word "mess" in it)...and compare her notes with what I came up with there.

Is it possible he lent the car and card to someone? Sure...but (apparently) the N family recognized him in Ruby Valley. There's no other verification, though, during all of that driving.

The neighbor across the street says he saw Steven and his car on the night of the 12th, and of course, his church friends talked to him on the 13th.
Apparently none of those people were suspicious of anything.

I want to mention something about the driving. While it seems "normal" for some people to drive long distances just to do random things.. What is NOT normal to me anyway, is that he didn't have a job during this time. When you don't have a steady job to show for, you can't pay for gas. At the time of his driving around, it was not like gas was cheap. Just another reason why LE should be looking at his driving habits as "not normal" IMO

I was researching couriers, to see if I could come up with a reason why Steven might have been driving around, and came across this,,very interesting.

Strange, but also unsettling. ABC 4 News in Cedar City, Utah---a town of roughly 28,000 people---reported that a routine traffic stop of three men led to a bizarre tale of prescription narcotics, illegal couriers, a Las Vegas drug supplier, and the world's largest retailer.

Police pulled over their car as it was traveling north on Route 15 just south of 100 miles per hour. The men claim they were hired to deliver prescription drugs to at least three Wal-Mart stores, including the superstore on South Providence Drive in Cedar City, Utah, which has an in-store pharmacy. The three men reportedly had already been to the Wal-Mart supercenter in St. George, Utah, which is south of Cedar City on Route 15, and the Wal-Mart superstore on Route 15 further south in Mesquite, Nevada, on the border with Arizona.
more at link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-norman/wal-marts-frightening-nar_b_191405.html

The problem is, the potential answers to the questions, could result in one (or the group) being subjected to church disciplinary action.

This is the first I've heard about church disciplinary action. For doing what exactly? We have like 30 Mormon churches here so it's not like Mormon's treat this city like the DMZ.

I guess what you're saying that if the church found out what he/they did here, he/they could get in trouble. I mean, I guess. . .but it's an open secret that GW was here anyway. He has already admitted that he was here (Sorry, I live in Vegas so "here" is appropriate) So, what's the big deal about revealing who else was with him? If there was someone else with him, he/she could corroborate the phone conversation with Steven. He/she could at least say what hotel they stayed at. What restaurants? What shows? Etc. And he/she would certainly know if they ran into Steven. Somebody somewhere has to know if GW came here alone or with someone. Somebody's brother, somebody's sister, somebody's parents, etc.

Hard to believe somebody would keep quiet just because of possible church disciplinary action? What's the church gonna do. . .take their Jesus jammies away?

The reason I say this is that GW's statement of ". . .take care of whatever you gotta do. . ." could actually be the truth. We always thought that statement was strange. Could it not mean that Webb actually knew/knows why Steven was in Vegas? What else would it mean? And if he knows why Steven was here, then whoever was with GW would also know what Steven was doing here in Las Vegas.

I have talked to my brother, B, who lived in SLC for over 20 years until 2003. Have told him about the case. He is not Mormon, neither am I. He does not find any of this strange. He worked for Coca-Cola and he used to have Mormon workers just not show up because they went on "alleged" missions. No warning. No notice. Nothing. Just picked up and left. Just sayin'.

I was researching couriers, to see if I could come up with a reason why Steven might have been driving around, and came across this,,very interesting.

Strange, but also unsettling. ABC 4 News in Cedar City, Utah---a town of roughly 28,000 people---reported that a routine traffic stop of three men led to a bizarre tale of prescription narcotics, illegal couriers, a Las Vegas drug supplier, and the world's largest retailer.

Police pulled over their car as it was traveling north on Route 15 just south of 100 miles per hour. The men claim they were hired to deliver prescription drugs to at least three Wal-Mart stores, including the superstore on South Providence Drive in Cedar City, Utah, which has an in-store pharmacy. The three men reportedly had already been to the Wal-Mart supercenter in St. George, Utah, which is south of Cedar City on Route 15, and the Wal-Mart superstore on Route 15 further south in Mesquite, Nevada, on the border with Arizona.
more at link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-norman/wal-marts-frightening-nar_b_191405.html

The story's a bit scrambled. ABC4 isn't in Cedar City, it's in SLC. It's not "route 15", it's Interstate 15....and it's one of the nation's major drug routes. I-15 runs from Mexico to Canada, and is nicknamed The NAFTA highway.

But man....yeah, I remember that one. Almost a year ago

That's EXACTLY the kind of courier job I've been thinking of: legal, but a bit shady.
Ruby Valley trip could easily have taken him through Elko, NV.

What if he had a job on Dec 13th to drive a car somewhere, for someone...explaining why he left his?

This is the first I've heard about church disciplinary action. For doing what exactly? We have like 30 Mormon churches here so it's not like Mormon's treat this city like the DMZ.

I guess what you're saying that if the church found out what he/they did here, he/they could get in trouble. I mean, I guess. . .but it's an open secret that GW was here anyway. He has already admitted that he was here (Sorry, I live in Vegas so "here" is appropriate) So, what's the big deal about revealing who else was with him? If there was someone else with him, he/she could corroborate the phone conversation with Steven. He/she could at least say what hotel they stayed at. What restaurants? What shows? Etc. And he/she would certainly know if they ran into Steven. Somebody somewhere has to know if GW came here alone or with someone. Somebody's brother, somebody's sister, somebody's parents, etc.

Hard to believe somebody would keep quiet just because of possible church disciplinary action? What's the church gonna do. . .take their Jesus jammies away?

The reason I say this is that GW's statement of ". . .take care of whatever you gotta do. . ." could actually be the truth. We always thought that statement was strange. Could it not mean that Webb actually knew/knows why Steven was in Vegas? What else would it mean? And if he knows why Steven was here, then whoever was with GW would also know what Steven was doing here in Las Vegas.

I have talked to my brother, B, who lived in SLC for over 20 years until 2003. Have told him about the case. He is not Mormon, neither am I. He does not find any of this strange. He worked for Coca-Cola and he used to have Mormon workers just not show up because they went on "alleged" missions. No warning. No notice. Nothing. Just picked up and left. Just sayin'.

Well....I've been here for 62 years, and I've never heard of a secret church mission. BUT....there ARE things like volunteer work (like when the Teton Dam broke in Idaho, wards sent busfuls of LDS up to help their fellow church members) that can be called "missions", I guess. ;)

But yeah....they can disfellowship or excommunicate you, based on the infraction. Church Court is the colloquial phrase. I know several people who've been throught that process.

The story's a bit scrambled. ABC4 isn't in Cedar City, it's in SLC. It's not "route 15", it's Interstate 15....and it's one of the nation's major drug routes. I-15 runs from Mexico to Canada, and is nicknamed The NAFTA highway.

But man....yeah, I remember that one. Almost a year ago

That's EXACTLY the kind of courier job I've been thinking of: legal, but a bit shady.
Ruby Valley trip could easily have taken him through Elko, NV.

What if he had a job on Dec 13th to drive a car somewhere, for someone...explaining why he left his?

Wow, yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, too. And that's an excellent thought about driving a car somewhere.

Wow, yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, too. And that's an excellent thought about driving a car somewhere.

Yeah...it's Scenerio #8 under "It's Steven in the video" ;)
http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html/scenarios

The only CONS are that he left his shaving kit in the car, and clothes in St George.

But a razor is $1, and you can pick up new clothes anywhere. Coats left in car, because target was a warm climate (explains leaving his clothes at home, too).

I dunno. It's the only job I can come up with, if we're trying to explain all the crazy driving and leaving the car where it was.

Yeah...it's Scenerio #8 under "It's Steven in the video" ;)
http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html/scenarios

The only CONS are that he left his shaving kit in the car, and clothes in St George.

But a razor is $1, and you can pick up new clothes anywhere. Coats left in car, because target was a warm climate (explains leaving his clothes at home, too).

I dunno. It's the only job I can come up with, if we're trying to explain all the crazy driving and leaving the car where it was.

I think if that's what happened, he expected to come back.

If he wanted to walk away from everything,,,there is no shortage of rides on this craig list ride share. Basically he could go any place. A lot of rides to L.A. or pretty much any where in CA., Phoenix , NY, etc. Just giving different ideas on things.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rid/

Just catching up on all of the recent posts as I've been horribly sick the last couple of days. Thanks to whoever posted the YouTube video (I'm sorry, I can't remember who exactly posted it.) I don't know what is going on with GW's facebook page, but I'd love to see it. Is there any link to an archived screen shot from before he deleted everything/made it private? I still have a feeling GW knows more than he is saying. And like we've all said before...two diligent LDS members from the same ward/friends, both in Vegas on a Sunday instead of at church. There's more to this story, for sure. I wonder if LE has questioned GW extensively. I also wonder how much Steven's family has questioned him.

That being said, how close of friends were Steven and GW? Casual acquaintances? More? It doesn't seem to me like they were THAT close, and that makes me wonder if Steven had any very close friends. Most people have at least one or two people in their life, whether they be friends or family members, who they are very close to, who they are able to confide in. I just wonder if Steven even had someone close like this he could confide in, because apparently he didn't tell anyone (that we know of) why he was doing all of that driving and why he was in Vegas on a Sunday instead of at church. It just seems to me that to miss church, Steven must have had a pretty pressing reason to be in Las Vegas. I don't think his driving around/trip to Vegas was work-related, or at least it wasn't related to the window washing/Xmas decorations, because the price of gas and the time spent would not be worth it to maybe get one or two jobs. IMO there definitely is a huge piece of the puzzle that we're missing...but I have a feeling we're getting closer.

As far as the body being found near Provo, Utah, when I first read that post my heart skipped a beat. Of course now we know it is the body of a female and is not Steven (or SP, for that matter), it made me realize that if Steven is dead and his body is found one day, I'm going to be tremendously sad. At this point I feel like I almost know Steven, and he seems like a very special guy. I've come to care about him in my own way. Still hoping and have a feeling he is very much alive, though. I still don't have a 'deceased' feeling about him.

Despite the fact that his family says all of that driving in the days prior to his disappearance wasn't unusual for Steven, I don't know if I'm buying that. It was actually normal of him to put 1200 miles on his car in a couple of days? And if it was, why? If his family says this is normal for him, what is their explanation regarding WHY he consistently did so much driving? For work? Can't be. It seems to me he'd have better luck sticking around St. George and applying to businesses there than driving aimlessly all over kingdom come. I feel the driving he did, to the locations he traveled to, in the days prior to his disappearance are very much related to his 'final' trip to SCA in Henderson. It feels to me like his final stop at Evening Lights was the culmination of his prior days' travel - almost like he did all that driving for a particular reason, and was going to SCA to pick up his paycheck for the 'work' he did, or something along those lines.

Thank you to all of you for consistently posting and keeping Steven's thread on the first page and for keeping his name out there. I feel this case could easily be 'forgotten' or 'swept under the rug' if it weren't for all of you. And like I've said before, I believe Steven's thread has attracted the most brilliant WS posters. I hope one day Steven can see how special he is, and how there are dozens of strangers working every day to try and find him.

Does this look like the right company?

http://local.yahoo.com/info-20262623-nevada-courier-service-las-vegas

There's a big difference between barely legal courier services and murder....IMO. Maybe this "job" exposed him to a darker side.
But, perhaps the LE on Steven's case should pay these folks a visit.

That's Nevada Courier Services and then there's Nevada Courier
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Nevada.Courier.702-740-7002

There's ads for about 50 of those places.

As far as Steven working for one, it'd logically be based out of St George, wouldn't it? All I can find there, is a bank with courier services....which at one time was located two miles from his house but has now moved to St George Blvd.
If we're working on a Walmart angle for some of the jobs, there's a major distribution center just north of St George in Hurricane, which is just a bit north of the Jack In The Box and the DI/Welfare Services ;)

Just catching up on all of the recent posts as I've been horribly sick the last couple of days. Thanks to whoever posted the YouTube video (I'm sorry, I can't remember who exactly posted it.) I don't know what is going on with GW's facebook page, but I'd love to see it. Is there any link to an archived screen shot from before he deleted everything/made it private? I still have a feeling GW knows more than he is saying. And like we've all said before...two diligent LDS members from the same ward/friends, both in Vegas on a Sunday instead of at church. There's more to this story, for sure. I wonder if LE has questioned GW extensively. I also wonder how much Steven's family has questioned him.

That being said, how close of friends were Steven and GW? Casual acquaintances? More? It doesn't seem to me like they were THAT close, and that makes me wonder if Steven had any very close friends. Most people have at least one or two people in their life, whether they be friends or family members, who they are very close to, who they are able to confide in. I just wonder if Steven even had someone close like this he could confide in, because apparently he didn't tell anyone (that we know of) why he was doing all of that driving and why he was in Vegas on a Sunday instead of at church. It just seems to me that to miss church, Steven must have had a pretty pressing reason to be in Las Vegas. I don't think his driving around/trip to Vegas was work-related, or at least it wasn't related to the window washing/Xmas decorations, because the price of gas and the time spent would not be worth it to maybe get one or two jobs. IMO there definitely is a huge piece of the puzzle that we're missing...but I have a feeling we're getting closer.

As far as the body being found near Provo, Utah, when I first read that post my heart skipped a beat. Of course now we know it is the body of a female and is not Steven (or SP, for that matter), it made me realize that if Steven is dead and his body is found one day, I'm going to be tremendously sad. At this point I feel like I almost know Steven, and he seems like a very special guy. I've come to care about him in my own way. Still hoping and have a feeling he is very much alive, though. I still don't have a 'deceased' feeling about him.

Despite the fact that his family says all of that driving in the days prior to his disappearance wasn't unusual for Steven, I don't know if I'm buying that. It was actually normal of him to put 1200 miles on his car in a couple of days? And if it was, why? If his family says this is normal for him, what is their explanation regarding WHY he consistently did so much driving? For work? Can't be. It seems to me he'd have better luck sticking around St. George and applying to businesses there than driving aimlessly all over kingdom come. I feel the driving he did, to the locations he traveled to, in the days prior to his disappearance are very much related to his 'final' trip to SCA in Henderson. It feels to me like his final stop at Evening Lights was the culmination of his prior days' travel - almost like he did all that driving for a particular reason, and was going to SCA to pick up his paycheck for the 'work' he did, or something along those lines.

Thank you to all of you for consistently posting and keeping Steven's thread on the first page and for keeping his name out there. I feel this case could easily be 'forgotten' or 'swept under the rug' if it weren't for all of you. And like I've said before, I believe Steven's thread has attracted the most brilliant WS posters. I hope one day Steven can see how special he is, and how there are dozens of strangers working every day to try and find him.

Hope you're feeling better Mia!

I really think LE needs to question GW in-depth and I don't believe that has happened.

I don't buy the driving all over the place being normal at all. That's a load of BS, IMO.

That's Nevada Courier Services and then there's Nevada Courier
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Nevada.Courier.702-740-7002

There's ads for about 50 of those places.

As far as Steven working for one, it'd logically be based out of St George, wouldn't it? All I can find there, is a bank with courier services....which at one time was located two miles from his house but has now moved to St George Blvd.

No, I don't think it would logically be based out of St. George. WE really don't know how often Steven was in Vegas prior to his travelling road show. And someone from Vegas may have gone to St. George to meet with him there.

I really would assume any of these businesses operating on the fringes of legal would hire illegal immigrants. But who knows?

From the time line: "Steven's appt to hometeach SS. "I didn't see him at church on [that day] to confirm the appointment, so I just figured he was out of town." (Source: SS on FB)"

This is why I think extensive driving and being out of town was normal for him.

There's church friends (the kind you gain when you have to change wards, because you moved)....and then there's his long-time friends like Matt R, Tommy U (who even posted here early on!), and people who've posted personal things on the FB page. Not just "great guy I knew from xxxx ward".

I think GW, due to his church position which was superior to Steven's, would be an important, but somewhat temporary, friend.

Same here. Collecting packages, errands, and then delivering them in the portfolio under his arm? Maybe he was getting legal papers signed. Or acting as a process server?

Who's the person who walks up to you and touches you with the papers -- and you have to appear in court? Courier services are used for that.

OR....maybe someone's getting sued, and it's a big ugly thing. Big big.

There's a lot of options....but they culminated in SCA for sure.

His family's statement about "something to do while he looked for a job" had to be a misquote. When you're looking for a job, that IS your job. You don't get days off from not having a job! ;)

At least we're consistent and dedicated wheel-spinners. Our brilliance just reflects off each other well. ;)

Get feeling better, quickly.

He doesn't seem like a process server to me. Not at all. But, the courier job is one of the strongest theories yet. But, why would he not have mentioned it,say, to his sister ? He never said a thing about driving around. It's so strange. Suggests that it was illegal/semi legal, and he just doesn't come across that way. As I said, strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro