NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A body has been found in the mountains, "five minutes off the (paved) road", just south of Provo, Utah in the Springville area.

This takes my breath away! I have tried to say what I think about the loss of life, especially when it involves a young person, but I just can't do it. Now I am going to find a Utah map. Thank you.

This takes my breath away! I have tried to say what I think about the loss of life, especially when it involves a young person, but I just can't do it. Now I am going to find a Utah map. Thank you.

I was just working on a MAP which shows a starting point at the Powell home, and a Hobble Creek Canyon destination.

I just did a bit of research. There's a winter recreation place called Jolley's Ranch about three miles up that canyon. SLEDDING! It's starting to sound more likely.

Local TV news has nothing.

TO KEEP THIS ON-TOPIC: Steven bought gas at the Flying J in Springville....

I was just working on a MAP which shows a starting point at the Powell home, and a Hobble Creek Canyon destination.

I just did a bit of research. There's a winter recreation place called Jolley's Ranch about three miles up that canyon. SLEDDING! It's starting to sound more likely.

Local TV news has nothing.

TO KEEP THIS ON-TOPIC: Steven bought gas at the Flying J in Springville....

How strange and perhaps coincidental that SK would go through the same area and stop for gas on the 10th.

Perhaps coincidental. His driving all over starts the same day she disappeared, and is in that general area. I wonder if he was looking for her? Might he have known her when he lived in West Valley City?

How strange and perhaps coincidental that SK would go through the same area and stop for gas on the 10th.

Well...the gas station is just off the freeway. But who knows how many times JP moved SP's remains? Sledding trip, camping trip, next day rental car "several hundred miles"......

Perhaps coincidental. His driving all over starts the same day she disappeared, and is in that general area. I wonder if he was looking for her? Might he have known her when he lived in West Valley City?

Actually....he was at the church Christmas dinner on the evening of the 7th (when Josh arrived home to find the police waiting for him), saw his boss on the 8th, went to Ruby Valley on the 9th....but yeah. Eerie.

Sheer unadulterated fantasy speculation --
WHAT IF Steven answered a craigslist ad asking him to "deliver a large heavy package". :angel:

Actually....he was at the church Christmas dinner on the evening of the 8th, saw his boss on the 8th, went to Ruby Valley on the 9th....but yeah. Eerie.

Sheer unadulterated fantasy speculation WHAT IF he answered a craigslist ad asking him to "deliver a large heavy package". :angel:

It's a longer route, but if he went to Ruby Valley via I-15 and I-80, he'd have gone past both that location and West Valley City. I was thinking of general distress over a friend/acquaintance rather than involvement, but...

EDIT: Powell family spokesman Shelby Gifford says the body found this afternoon is not Susan Powell, per the WVC PD.

SL Trib 11 minutes ago: "Detectives have not positively identified the person or matched the body to any missing person reports, Cannon said. Investigators were interviewing the hikers that found the body, he said. He did not know how many hikers were in the group. "

MORE EDIT:
Looks like mixed messages. According to the http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700011086/Body-found-in-Springville.html]Deseret News, investigators haven't even reached the body and will notify WVC PD if it's ID'd as Powell.

It's a longer route, but if he went to Ruby Valley via I-15 and I-80, he'd have gone past both that location and West Valley City. I was thinking of general distress over a friend/acquaintance rather than involvement, but...

I don't think he'd have known her; after all, he'd have been in a singles ward, and she wouldn't have been. Her single ward days were when she was 18, in Washington State. Even if Steven's WVC singles ward met in the same building as her ward, it would be at different times.

Like we're finding in St George, people who attend church in the same building as Steven, didn't know he was missing.

BUT BUT BUT -- we don't know if he watched much TV or listened to the news, but what if he heard about the massive uproar about SP's disappearance, and started wondering if he'd get the same attention if he disappeared?
(If that's a theory, we know it didn't work out well for him.)

Per the family spokesperson Shelby. The body found in Hobble Creek area is NOT Susan Powell.

I don't think he'd have known her; after all, he'd have been in a singles ward, and she wouldn't have been. Her single ward days were when she was 18, in Washington State. Even if Steven's WVC singles ward met in the same building as her ward, it would be at different times.

Like we're finding in St George, people who attend church in the same building as Steven, didn't know he was missing.

BUT BUT BUT -- we don't know if he watched much TV or listened to the news, but what if he heard about the massive uproar about SP's disappearance, and started wondering if he'd get the same attention if he disappeared?
(If that's a theory, we know it didn't work out well for him.)

He could have met her other ways -- through the newspaper, friend of a friend, both went to the same gym or grocery store, etc. etc. etc. Not that I really think that's the case, but it seems possible.

If he was depressed, it was more likely to be, "She's got so many people looking for her and if I disappeared, nobody would even care." Though that doesn't really sound like Steven.

If he watched the news, he might have been drawn to it the same way we are, just the desire to help another human being. I don't mean anything against Steven by saying this, but it seems like he has a history of maybe being somewhat...ineffectual.

Laytonian - I don't know the news outlets for that area. Another forum said it is a male. Can you please check.

Laytonian - I don't know the news outlets for that area. Another forum said it is a male. Can you please check.

The news would be the SLC TV and newspapers; I'm trying to check them all. The "find" was mentioned during a top of the hour headline thing on KSL-TV.

I'll keep y'all posted. BUT to keep from being really off-topic, I'll just keep editing this post, if that's OK.

------------

Per the family spokesperson Shelby. The body found in Hobble Creek area is NOT Susan Powell.

According to the latest local news reports, there has been no release of identity information -- not even to WVCPD:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700011086/Body-found-in-Springville.html

------------------
ABC4 says identity will not be released until family notification has been made. Gender ID may be released later tonight.

--------------
UNLIKELY SUSAN POWELL although the body IS a 25-35 year old woman. Apparently not connected to any known missing persons case:
Suspicious circumstances

Gives me the impression this body hasn't been there very long.

I'm starting to wonder if the "hikers" who found it, had something to do with it. It's not like she walked in there, since they had to take snowmobiles in to get to the remains.

Even another dead person, instead of a solved missing persons case.

I made a point online a few years ago: "You should hope it's (name of missing child), because if it's not, there's one more dead/missing child than we thought." People thought I was being cruel....but maybe I don't know how to put it in the right words?

Snipped:
The one's telling. He interviews the in-patient psychiatrist at LDS Hospital in Jan 2007 and it reads "personal" to me, what with his recommendation of a light box....and a specific book. (If the psychiatrist had recommended the book, the journalist should note the recommendation.)

Lay, I think the SAD light box and book were recommended by Dr. Strong.

Strong says that treating Seasonal Affective Disorder is a completely different approach than managing the average person's winter moodiness. It includes working with a doctor, medication, and artificial light therapy.

Light boxes generate the spectrum and feeling of sunlight anywhere and at any time. They range in cost from from $120 - $300 and tend to help within two to four days. Strong admits light therapy is not without risk, though.

For anyone who wants to know more about SAD, Strong recommends the book Winter Blues: Seasonal Affective Disorder: What It Is and How to Overcome It by Norman Edward E. Rosenthal.

Snipped:
The one's telling. He interviews the in-patient psychiatrist at LDS Hospital in Jan 2007 and it reads "personal" to me, what with his recommendation of a light box....and a specific book. (If the psychiatrist had recommended the book, the journalist should note the recommendation.)

Lay, I think the SAD light box and book were recommended by Dr. Strong.

Strong says that treating Seasonal Affective Disorder is a completely different approach than managing the average person's winter moodiness. It includes working with a doctor, medication, and artificial light therapy.

Light boxes generate the spectrum and feeling of sunlight anywhere and at any time. They range in cost from from $120 - $300 and tend to help within two to four days. Strong admits light therapy is not without risk, though.

For anyone who wants to know more about SAD, Strong recommends the book Winter Blues: Seasonal Affective Disorder: What It Is and How to Overcome It by Norman Edward E. Rosenthal.

It's an interesting choice of subject from somebody who moved south to get away from winter gloom and then went missing as the darkest nights of the year approached.

All told, Koecher drove at least 1,200 miles in three days.
To a casual observer, the travel surrounding Steven's disappearance seems unusual. But family says it just shows the patterns of a 30-year-old trying to stay busy while looking for work.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=11852528

The family does not find it odd , all the miles he drove . I do , if he had company and was sight seeing that would be different. You can apply for jobs online, no need to drive
aimlessly. There is a reason, he drove all those miles. we just do not know what it is.

All told, Koecher drove at least 1,200 miles in three days.
To a casual observer, the travel surrounding Steven's disappearance seems unusual. But family says it just shows the patterns of a 30-year-old trying to stay busy while looking for work.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=11852528

The family does not find it odd , all the miles he drove . I do , if he had company and was sight seeing that would be different. You can apply for jobs online, no need to drive aimlessly. There is a reason, he drove all those miles. we just do not know what it is.

...."trying to stay busy" while looking for work.

You either look for work, OR you drive around. If you need to "stay busy", it means you're not looking for work very hard. Right?

He either was having a psychological break (but seemed "like himself" at the temple)....or someone was paying him to drive those places. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNkelly