NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what we've learned, it seems that Steven's circle of friends in St. George was fairly small and generally consisted of fellow church members.

Exactly. One "come to Jesus meeting" should cover all of them. "You're all going to be here (date/time) and we're going to talk openingly". I guess that's not really done, though....just at work.

The big unknown is who he may have met - in person - while working for the window washing business. He would have come into contact with lots of people not on the radar at all. Did someone offer him a proposition during his work-related travels? Face-to-face?

I wonder if his daily routes were pre-determined. Like, on Tuesday, you're going to hand out flyers in this neighborhood.

I dunno.
I wonder if any flyers were "handed out" face to face. It's rare that anyone actually comes to our door; usually, they're inserted in the newspaper holder or (illegally) taped to the mailbox. Knocking on doors is pretty inefficient.

SOME of those neighborhoods (like in the area of Washington City, near the DI) are newer but pretty seedy. Wouldn't be hard to recruit a window-washer to do something else....although the homes I've seen there, aren't the kind to actually pay someone to wash their windows.

Who else would he have talked to? The N family (that conversation lasted two hours and all we hear is the word "Sacramento"????) and maybe TH?
And customers, as you say.

I doubt St George police have asked TH for his customer list.

I'll bet they don't even know how many employees TH had. Was it just Steven and TH...or were there others, all kinda struggling?

The driver of the SUV had tunnel vision and didn't see anything, is that correct?

Do people really assume that everyone would take notice of anyone taking a walk on a sunny day? Mind you, there was nothing unusual about someone walking and if you watch the videos, the whole thing transpires in a very short time.

The realtor was there for business. I doubt a realtor is going to leave a house that he or she put on the market to follow someone and then do them harm. The realtor could easily have been talking on a cell phone, texting or emailing on a blackberry, or gathering up flyers for the open house.

Personally, I only take notice of something that is really unusual. Keep in mind that there were what, four days before anyone did anything about the parked car? And the realtor was probably not questioned for at least a couple of weeks when the SUV was seen on the video. Don't you think that people have more important things to keep in their memory banks than a 30ish year old guy walking down Evening Lights at noon time on a Sunday?

Do people really assume that everyone would take notice of anyone taking a walk on a sunny day? Mind you, there was nothing unusual about someone walking and if you watch the videos, the whole thing transpires in a very short time.

To me, it's not so much Steven walking....as the two (maybe three) "sightings" involved.

1--Driving west, seeing him face-on as he walked west

2--Just seconds later, having to avoid his car while she made her u-turn in the cul-de-sac

(Possibly) Noticing him walking up EL, kinda far from a quick parking space.

She was the realtor daughter of a resident; she'd know the HOA rules, and that area very well. IF she was showing the home, would she have to explain that "I'm sure this car is just here for a few minutes - this area is VERY safe and has strict visitor parking rules!".

Look CAREFULLY at the walking figure on the CAM3 video at exactly 12:00:08 and watch his head. His head is DOWN while the SUV passes, and then he raises his head up and looks a bit to the right.

The realtor was there for business. I doubt a realtor is going to leave a house that he or she put on the market to follow someone and then do them harm. The realtor could easily have been talking on a cell phone, texting or emailing on a blackberry, or gathering up flyers for the open house.

Personally, I only take notice of something that is really unusual. Keep in mind that there were what, four days before anyone did anything about the parked car? And the realtor was probably not questioned for at least a couple of weeks when the SUV was seen on the video. Don't you think that people have more important things to keep in their memory banks than a 30ish year old guy walking down Evening Lights at noon time on a Sunday?

Did I say the realtor was going to follow him and do harm to him? Your words not mine. If you drive to the end of a cul-de-sac , a white car is there, someone is walking as you approach it. If you do not see the person or car that is tunnel vision. In my opinion it is get from point A to point B , without knowing what the heck is going on around you. And I could care less what people choose to keep in their memory, however, in this case I think people are conveniently choosing to forget. moo

"Two different responses to two different cases"

Fox 5 Vegas

This isn't about Steven's case, but I'm sure you can see the parallels.

I've said for years, it's not so much "pretty white girl syndrome" (Susan Powell fits only the "white" criteria) BUT how well you work the media. If you think about the most-publicized cases, they're actually "missing person from wealthy family".

Rule number 1 if a loved one goes missing: Go all-out Ramsey and hire a GOOD publicist!

Resident of home just a block away, 26-year-old female. Steven lived at 1734 E Maplewood.

https://news.washeriff.net/bookings/

I'm ONLY including the address, because this is not a static web page and this information will vaporize within 48 hours.

1624 E MAPLEWOOD WAY, St George, UT
Arrest Time/Date Arrested By Agency
10:50:00 03/06/10 Brooks, Kevin-S SCPD

Statute Offense Class Court Required Bond Amt.Paid
76-8-301.5 FAIL TO DISCLOSE IDEN BM WCJ5 595.00 [No Payments Made]
58-37a-5 POSSESS PARAPHERNALIA BM WCJ5 410.00 [No Payments Made]
41-6a-517 DRIVING-MEASURABLE CO BM WCJ5 790.00 [No Payments Made]

--------

One (perhaps two) with past drug involvement connected to Steven's address
One a block a way, current charges (no past record easily found)

I think that's a good point about people only noticing something that's really different. The man in the video is well dressed, clean, and about the right age to be a son or grandson of a resident. Nothing about him to trigger any alarm and hence nothing to trigger any memory.

Wow, in the podcast, Steven casually refers to himself as an "aspiring songwriter" and says he doesn't devout as much time to writing music as he should.

Steven has a nice talking voice and a great sense of humor. He seems like a good guy, I don't understand why he couldn't find a girl, unless his standards were just too high.

Once again gsmith, thank you for sharing.

I agree! It's so nice to be able to hear Steven's voice, he does have a great personality and sense of humor and is clearly very intelligent, and I believe he also has musical talent. Living in NYC, I'm pressured into going to various venues almost every weekend to see some friend's new band play - and let me tell you, Steven is way more talented than most of these people. I wish he would have pursued his music more. I also just wish he was appreciated more by those in his life - I know, hindsight is 20/20, but why in the world didn't he have a girlfriend? What a great, sensitive guy. I would have gone on a date with him! It sounds like he had a problem with low self-esteem, perhaps caused by the fact that what he truly wanted to do in life, deep down (guitar, etc) was at odds with what his family/church expected of him. Steven is fine the way he is - in fact, he is great. I'm still holding out hope he will resurface somehow and live up to his potential, and follow his true path in life.

Look CAREFULLY at the walking figure on the CAM3 video at exactly 12:00:08 and watch his head. His head is DOWN while the SUV passes, and then he raises his head up and looks a bit to the right.

Precisely. we notice these things because we are looking at a video for any clue that might shed light on what happened to Steven. This realtor could give two s--ts about Steven because he or she did not know he existed. Even if this person at the time thought 'what's that guy parking in the cul de sac for?', the reality is that most people do not remember things that are inconsequential.

I can't count how many times I have gone out to the stores or driven on the roads and seen oddities, whether it is a car with exhuast belching from it, a flat tire, or in the case of people in a store something someone was wearing, the way someone smelled or even some rotten child acting up. Having said all that, unless it was something that looked suspicious - an accident, shoplifting, medical emergency, etc - these events are usually forgotten by the time I get home unless I tell someone "you'll never guess what I saw".

I really think that it is a stretch to assume that the residents are lying because people in SCA say they don't recall seeing him.

I agree! It's so nice to be able to hear Steven's voice, he does have a great personality and sense of humor and is clearly very intelligent, and I believe he also has musical talent. Living in NYC, I'm pressured into going to various venues almost every weekend to see some friend's new band play - and let me tell you, Steven is way more talented than most of these people. I wish he would have pursued his music more. I also just wish he was appreciated more by those in his life - I know, hindsight is 20/20, but why in the world didn't he have a girlfriend? What a great, sensitive guy. I would have gone on a date with him! It sounds like he had a problem with low self-esteem, perhaps caused by the fact that what he truly wanted to do in life, deep down (guitar, etc) was at odds with what his family/church expected of him. Steven is fine the way he is - in fact, he is great. I'm still holding out hope he will resurface somehow and live up to his potential, and follow his true path in life.

That's what I'm hoping....that the singular thread that runs through his life (music) led him to leave.

I think you're spot on about expectations; the phrase "guitar will ruin my life" sounds like something someone else told him.

Precisely. we notice these things because we are looking at a video for any clue that might shed light on what happened to Steven. This realtor could give two s--ts about Steven because he or she did not know he existed. Even if this person at the time thought 'what's that guy parking in the cul de sac for?', the reality is that most people do not remember things that are inconsequential.

I can't count how many times I have gone out to the stores or driven on the roads and seen oddities, whether it is a car with exhuast belching from it, a flat tire, or in the case of people in a store something someone was wearing, the way someone smelled or even some rotten child acting up. Having said all that, unless it was something that looked suspicious - an accident, shoplifting, medical emergency, etc - these events are usually forgotten by the time I get home unless I tell someone "you'll never guess what I saw".

I really think that it is a stretch to assume that the residents are lying because people in SCA say they don't recall seeing him.

There's a slim possibility that ONE household in SCA is lying.

Steven's car, parked illegally, would have annoyed me -- especially if I lived in one of the three homes it was parked near.

I'd probably have been on the phone to the HOA elderly patrol that next morning, complaining about it being there overnight.

I'm just so afraid he chose to end his life rather than go against what he had been taught -- that he viewed it as saving himself from some kind of damnation. I can remember when I was much younger and going through some similar crises how I often felt it would be better if I were dead, so my family didn't have to watch me ruin my life. That it would be better to trust in God's mercy than to do "that" (meaning the alternate life) to them and myself. It seems melodramatic now that I would think choosing a course my family disapproved of would constitute "damnation," but that's how it seemed at the time and it was very real.

That's what I'm hoping....that the singular thread that runs through his life (music) led him to leave.

I think you're spot on about expectations; the phrase "guitar will ruin my life" sounds like something someone else told him.

Absolutely. I still think there is a good chance Steven left voluntarily, part of the reason being that most of the other options (being lured to SCA - and for what exactly? What did he have that someone else wanted?, being witness to a crime and killed for it, etc) just seem so unlikely. That's not to say such an event couldn't have transpired, but objectively speaking it's much more likely he just took off. It seems we're all in agreement that Steven was at the end of his rope existentially - was barely employed at a menial job, had no girlfriend, no close friends he was in touch with regularly, apparently was having problems with his parents, was about to be evicted, plus the stress of Christmas approaching. It's not a stretch at all to think he just said F*%& It and took off. No, I don't think Steven had the ability or resources to 'mastermind' the perfect disappearance, but he could just have gotten lucky SO FAR. It's not impossible to live 'off the grid'. Hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants do it every day, and survive somehow. Plus, Steven's case has by no means 'gone national'. If he were over here on the East coast or even in the Midwest, it's unlikely anyone would recognize him/know who he was, even if he hasn't changed his disappearance. I still think there's a chance Steven was in the wrong place at the wrong time and met with foul play, but objectively speaking, him running away seems to make the most sense to me now, after hearing from gsmith and after listening to the interview with Steven and realizing his musical talent.

Plus, Steven's case has by no means 'gone national'. If he were over here on the East coast or even in the Midwest, it's unlikely anyone would recognize him/know who he was, even if he hasn't changed his disappearance. I still think there's a chance Steven was in the wrong place at the wrong time and met with foul play, but objectively speaking, him running away seems to make the most sense to me now, after hearing from gsmith and after listening to the interview with Steven and realizing his musical talent.

I really hope so. I don't know how much income Steven had every month, but guess it's possible he was saving up for a disappearance. He certainly seemed able to live on very little. I just wish he'd have driven away, so he could have taken his guitars and computer...and cellphone charger.

Hopefully, next time we see him, he's a Rock God ;)

Absolutely. I still think there is a good chance Steven left voluntarily, part of the reason being that most of the other options (being lured to SCA - and for what exactly? What did he have that someone else wanted?, being witness to a crime and killed for it, etc) just seem so unlikely. That's not to say such an event couldn't have transpired, but objectively speaking it's much more likely he just took off. It seems we're all in agreement that Steven was at the end of his rope existentially - was barely employed at a menial job, had no girlfriend, no close friends he was in touch with regularly, apparently was having problems with his parents, was about to be evicted, plus the stress of Christmas approaching. It's not a stretch at all to think he just said F*%& It and took off. No, I don't think Steven had the ability or resources to 'mastermind' the perfect disappearance, but he could just have gotten lucky SO FAR. It's not impossible to live 'off the grid'. Hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants do it every day, and survive somehow. Plus, Steven's case has by no means 'gone national'. If he were over here on the East coast or even in the Midwest, it's unlikely anyone would recognize him/know who he was, even if he hasn't changed his disappearance. I still think there's a chance Steven was in the wrong place at the wrong time and met with foul play, but objectively speaking, him running away seems to make the most sense to me now, after hearing from gsmith and after listening to the interview with Steven and realizing his musical talent.

I think that what happened, happened on the spur of the moment--without much if any planning. I really believe that he told GW that he'd come back to St. George for EQ meeting if he was needed, and that if he had, he'd probably not have gone missing. The things that make the most sense to me are:

1. He ended his life. But then you have to wonder how he did it, and IF he did it and his body hasn't been discovered, he did it in a really out-of-the way place. And his cell phone was accessed the following day. So, did he sit out in the desert overnight, check his messages one more time and then do himself in?

2. That he walked and walked and found himself in the foothills, slipped and fell or was hurt somehow, and the cell phone voice mail check was maybe an attempt to call someone for help. Could it have slipped out of his hands and fallen if he was ledged up somewhere? Are there even any ledges of sufficient size in the area? Old mines? Sinkholes? But then you have to ask yourself really what are the chances if he was lost in SCA that he would wander aimlessly and just find himself in the foothills. It IS a ways out there.

3. That he just took off. If he did this, it was really spur of the moment. I guess it's possible; I just think even if he was mad at or embarrassed to be around his family, they were still really close. He'd have contacted them by now. Maybe.

I think that what happened, happened on the spur of the moment--without much if any planning. I really believe that he told GW that he'd come back to St. George for EQ meeting if he was needed, and that if he had, he'd probably not have gone missing. The things that make the most sense to me are:

...and when GW says "do what you have to do"....what is that in response to?

1. He ended his life. But then you have to wonder how he did it, and IF he did it and his body hasn't been discovered, he did it in a really out-of-the way place. And his cell phone was accessed the following day. So, did he sit out in the desert overnight, check his messages one more time and then do himself in?

If he purposely parked the car there, he could have come back to it from the west (around the gate) and slept in it.
I'd PAY to watch those security video, starting with 12 hours before and extending four days later.

2. That he walked and walked and found himself in the foothills, slipped and fell or was hurt somehow, and the cell phone voice mail check was maybe an attempt to call someone for help. Could it have slipped out of his hands and fallen if he was ledged up somewhere? Are there even any ledges of sufficient size in the area? Old mines? Sinkholes? But then you have to ask yourself really what are the chances if he was lost in SCA that he would wander aimlessly and just find himself in the foothills. It IS a ways out there.

He'd have had to have some kind of map, to get there. It's possible the car is a "safe" spot on purpose, but it's not convenient for a hike. (Yes, it's one of my own theories - but I also know its limitations.)

3. That he just took off. If he did this, it was really spur of the moment. I guess it's possible; I just think even if he was mad at or embarrassed to be around his family, they were still really close. He'd have contacted them by now. Maybe.

I don't think he could have left, from where the car was parked, without some kind of planning.
There's no bus stops, no light rail, nothing.
He'd have had to use a pay phone (or knocked on someone's door and asked to use their phone) to get a cab ride.

I know, I know, I know that everyone says it's Steven on the video.

BUT it seems Steven is among the most UNlikely people to have been familiar with that area - unless someone directed him to it, face to face or another nontraceable means. And they've not come forward.

UNLESS he had an iPod he could use to get wifi. But that would show up on his own computer.

I wonder if the presser generated any tips?

...and when GW says "do what you have to do"....what is that in response to?

If he purposely parked the car there, he could have come back to it from the west (around the gate) and slept in it.
I'd PAY to watch those security video, starting with 12 hours before and extending four days later.

He'd have had to have some kind of map, to get there. It's possible the car is a "safe" spot on purpose, but it's not convenient for a hike. (Yes, it's one of my own theories - but I also know its limitations.)

I don't think he could have left, from where the car was parked, without some kind of planning.
There's no bus stops, no light rail, nothing.
He'd have had to use a pay phone (or knocked on someone's door and asked to use their phone) to get a cab ride.

I know, I know, I know that everyone says it's Steven on the video.

BUT it seems Steven is among the most UNlikely people to have been familiar with that area - unless someone directed him to it, face to face or another nontraceable means. And they've not come forward.

UNLESS he had an iPod he could use to get wifi. But that would show up on his own computer.

Keep in mind that these are two guys talking. Girls would pick each others' brains, find out what each other was up to, what they were wearing, wht they'd been shopping for, shoot the breeze etc. I'm guessing GW and SK's conversation went something like: GW: Hey bro, can you cover for me in EQ today. I'm in Vegas, and I don't know if I can make it back in time. SK: Um, I'm doing some stuff in Vegas too, but I can head back if you need me. GW: No, that's OK. Don't worry about it; do what you have to do..." I may be one of very few, but I don't think GW has any earthshaking info that he's not revealing.

He sure could have slept in his car that night, I guess, but where would he have spent the day? On the golf course pondering life? Wandering and wandering? In someone's house? I'd pay to watch the videos too. Doesn't the family have them? At least more than the public has seen?

Good point. He'd have to have help to get out of that neighborhood. What if he just flat-out hitchhiked? Yeah, not very likely.

I really hope so. I don't know how much income Steven had every month, but guess it's possible he was saving up for a disappearance. He certainly seemed able to live on very little. I just wish he'd have driven away, so he could have taken his guitars and computer...and cellphone charger.

Hopefully, next time we see him, he's a Rock God ;)

you can get a cheap laptop these days so with the money he did not spend on rent he could have used to buy a laptop.

Hence he left the old one behind and took the new one nobody knew about with him.

I had asked when the last usage of the laptop was. I guess my questions fall on deaf ears.

To brainstorm, I want hear what people know about where Steven was when Susan Powell disappeared, and when Josh Powell had the rental car.

If Steven was in the northern Utah or northern Nevada area anywhere in there, is it possible that he saw something or unintentionally helped Josh, left his name and number, and later was lured by Josh somewhere?

I am thinking of how Steven went out of his way to help his teenage neighbors in St. George a few days later.

Is there any possibility that Steven met Josh in passing that night, a young father with little boys in a van late at night, helped them somehow, gave out his name and number, just as he did to the girls, and was later tracked down by Josh?

Have the police released exactly how many miles JP put on his rental car? 200 or 700?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste