NV NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Concerning the t-shirt on page 2 of this thread: the feathers resemble those of the peregrine falcon in our Big Bend Nat'l Park tee shirts. Wondering if Big Bend or another southwest national/state park had a tee with a peregrine falcon with setting sun behind it back in the early 1990's?

Tee photo from p.2:

(Sorry if this has already been discussed; haven't had time to read all the pages, yet.)
Bingo! Wellington is very close to Yosemite National Park. Just an hour away for the shortest route. Two hours if you're going around to the main entrance. And it has falcon t-shirts.

il_340x270.741503197_e7mc.jpg

Since this guy had a Tahoe hat and possibly a t-shirt from Yosemite, does that make him more likely to be a local or a tourist?

The tee shirt pictures coming in are sparking great ideas and the work put in to finding this design is commendable (IMO).

We have 75 (or 76) possiblities on our list so far - 9 rule outs and 4 pending rule outs in just a couple of days. Hopefully we aren't overwhelming LEO at this rate, but it gives them some good places to start. I only hope that our efforts combined with LEO will be able to help one family have some closure and allow them to bring their loved one home to put them to rest.

There was an abandoned car traced back to an owner in CO. The tee looks more like a national or state park tee than a team tee shirt, but it's interesting that the "Falcons" are collegiate teams representing the USAFA near Colo Springs. I wondered for an instant if that might be a falcon superimposed on an orange basketball rather than a sun. But, to me the tee shirt in question looks more naturalistic than team logos generally get. So I'm still leaning towards it being a state or national park type tee shirt.
The car wasn't traced back to Colorado. The car was from Oklahoma. The car owner subsequently moved to Colorado approximately 10 years later.

I didn't see where TxJan stopped by today - I know the first 39 were uploaded to the Master list. I have her corresponding numbers lining up except for #40 that I somehow missed who she might have put in.

The Master List is a work of art in how nicely it is laid out and how the UID is lined up side by side with each entry.

(I am assuming TxJan is a she)

I didn't see where TxJan stopped by today - I know the first 39 were uploaded to the Master list. I have her corresponding numbers lining up except for #40 that I somehow missed who she might have put in.

The Master List is a work of art in how nicely it is laid out and how the UID is lined up side by side with each entry.

(I am assuming TxJan is a she)
She was here very early in morning and updated a few. I haven't seen her around since.

I think I'm coming down with the flu. Sudden fever, aching, sore throat and a slight cough is starting. If I disappear for a few days, I'll be hiding in bed with Nyquil to keep me knocked out.

She was here very early in morning and updated a few. I haven't seen her around since.

I think I'm coming down with the flu. Sudden fever, aching, sore throat and a slight cough is starting. If I disappear for a few days, I'll be hiding in bed with Nyquil to keep me knocked out.

(((hugs)))

OT - Old Wives Tale that my family learned from a Public Health Nurse. Drink hot lemonade (real stuff or frozen) - as much and as hot as you can reasonably handle. I swear it burns that crap right out. Good luck and snuggle up!

Still shirt sleuthing too! The feathers are pissing me off, could be hawk, owl, falcon....GAH!

LMAO! The damn orange circle is pissing me off!

It was such a common design back in the day. I'm so surprised we haven't found one yet!

I'm going to look for a retro t-shirt store. Maybe we can find an expert, if there is such a thing. :)

LMAO! The damn orange circle is pissing me off!

It was such a common design back in the day. I'm so surprised we haven't found one yet!

I'm going to look for a retro t-shirt store. Maybe we can find an expert, if there is such a thing. :)

I spent hours on Etsy and eBay searching the vintage shirt sellers. So many were *so* close but always wrong. I've considered contacting screen printers in that part of the state to see if they recall the design...

Again: GAH!

The Peregrine Falcon is Idaho's state bird.

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Idaho/Raptor_peregrine_falcon.html

Still looking for an exact match.

I thought the picture of the t-shirt showed a bird with open wings and a short tail. We used to have 3 Merlin Falcons living in our back yard (scary at times!). Here is a picture of one in flight - so you can see the stubby tail (compared to other birds).

http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/bigger_image.aspx?id=4800&type=p

I wonder if there are any "Falcon" teams that had that image on a tee shirt?

Big orange circles and feathers are going to be invading a few of our dreams tonight . . . . zzzzzzzzzz

I just sent an inquiry to four vintage t-shirt companies and provided a link to the picture.

Hopefully one of them will be able to identify the origins. I'll post here if I hear anything.

I've considered contacting screen printers in that part of the state to see if they recall the design...
That's a good idea! It's definitely worth a try.

I also thought of calling Yosemite, but I doubt the government is organized enough to have its back designs. But local silk screeners would know.

I thought the picture of the t-shirt showed a bird with open wings and a short tail. We used to have 3 Merlin Falcons living in our back yard (scary at times!). Here is a picture of one in flight - so you can see the stubby tail (compared to other birds).

Maybe. I know absolutely nothing about sports. But I do know falcons in the back yard are scary. My sister has a nest every year and that bird dove bombs at my sister's head all the time. She has to guard her little dog because it tries to snatch it up.

Yes, I agree it seems to be a falcon of some sort--still leaning towards the peregrine due to the mottled pattern of the wings, though. Here is a pinterest board with all kinds of views of the peregrine, in flight, diving, etc. I learned something new tonight--it's the fastest bird, diving speeds of up to 200 mph to catch its prey mid-air.

I looked at several team shirts (Atlanta Falcons, Bowling Green, etc.), but those seem to invariably be of a 'logo' styling if they have the falcon on them. Not a naturalistic graphic like this t-shirt.

Bingo! Wellington is very close to Yosemite National Park. Just an hour away for the shortest route. Two hours if you're going around to the main entrance. And it has falcon t-shirts.

il_340x270.741503197_e7mc.jpg

Since this guy had a Tahoe hat and possibly a t-shirt from Yosemite, does that make him more likely to be a local or a tourist?

No telling. If he was missing 8 teeth and camping out with a paint-spattered blanket, it makes me lean toward 'local' as in maybe even living in state parks, possibly unemployed or between jobs.

The t-shirt might well be a Yosemite t-shirt, especially if that is a peregrine on it. Turns out Yosemite played a major role in getting the peregrine moved from endangered species to protected species. (It was taken off the national endangered species list in 1999).

American Peregrine Falcon's Success: This bird of prey is a symbol of a recovering species. In August 1999, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service removed the American peregrine falcon from the list of endangered and threatened species, marking one of the most dramatic successes of the Endangered Species Act. In November 2009, the peregrine was removed from California’s endangered species list, 10 years after it was federally delisted. Yosemite National Park represents the highest peregrine falcon nesting density in the Sierra Nevada and has played a key role in its recovery since 1978. In 1994, six of 14 pairs in the Sierra Nevada south of Lake Tahoe nested in Yosemite.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/nature/ss-bird-species.htm

Concerning the t-shirt on page 2 of this thread: the feathers resemble those of the peregrine falcon in the Big Bend Nat'l Park tee shirts. Wondering if Big Bend or another southwest national/state park had a tee with a peregrine falcon with setting sun behind it back in the early 1990's?

Tee photo from p.2:

(Sorry if this has already been discussed; haven't had time to read all the pages, yet.)

Years ago, I lived near Big Bend and my brother-in-law worked with and raised Peregrine Falcons so this post caught my eye. Big Bend Sentinel article from 1998:
"Falcon research
project honored
Bonnie McKinney, a wildlife
technician for Texas Parks and
Wildlife Department, received
the honor of having her research
project on peregrine falcons
in the Big Bend region
featured in the new 'Explore
Texas' social studies textbook
for Texas students.
The falcon project is featured
as a case study in citizenship.
The unit contains information
on the status of the falcons in
the Big Bend area and how one
person can make a difference.
The falcon project is privately
funded by ranchers, businesses'
and individuals and covers the
Rio Grande corridor in the
lower Big Bend as well as the
surrounding mountains in northern
Coahuila, Mexico.
McKinney, a native o f Virginia
has resided in west Texas
for twenty four years and is
currendy involved in several research
projects on endangered
species in western Texas. She is
also the regional contact for the
new Landowner Incentive Program
which was developed by
the Texas Parks and Wildlife
Department to actually pay the
private landowner to conserve
and manage endangered, threatened
and rare species on their
property."

http://libit.sulross.edu/archives/marfanews/sent94-04/1998-02-19.pdf

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9967/85
Name: David Bratton
Race:White Sex: Male
DOB:10/27/1960 Age Missing: 27
Height: 6 ft. 0 in. Weight: 130 lb.
Hair Color: Red Eye Color: Green
Area Last Seen: Greenville (Hunt County)
Miscellaneous Notes: Mr. Bratton may suffer from depression. His cream colored 1977 Chevrolet Nova was found abandoned in Delta County, Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willowgirlz0