NV NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that's interesting when looking through images of Red Tailed Hawks is they are so vastly different from one another. Regardless, can someone post a side by side of this red tail since the feather pattern is very clear in this picture?

img_1123.jpg

Here you go:

My husband's friend who passed away wuold've been born in 69-70. I have some of his shirts from when he was probably 10 years old.. one is from Atlantic City and is typical iron on and it is cracking and peeling, feels plasticky to the touch - very unlike the one of my mother's pictured in my post above. I don't know if this is a help in dating anything, or not. Just throwing stuff out to see what sticks at this point.

So that picture is cracking? I can't see it in the photo, but I believe you.

No, it's NOT cracking. I got it back out and then I edited my original post to indicate that her souvenir shirt is actually very good quality and still soft and bright and not cracking, which is UNlike the ones from earlier in the 80s which are plasticky and iron-on feeling (I was mistaken which shirt I was recalling when I posted that a moment ago, sorry).. also my concert tshirts from the late 80s that were mass produced are iron-on and cracking, also unlike her lehigh river one posted above. I think the one here in this thread is higher quality like my mothers.

When I was working with the greatly enlarged photo, I saw no trace of cracking or peeling, not even in the heavily stained areas. The ink didn't seem to have washed out or faded much, either. The material looked like it was probably slightly heavier than standard t-shirt material -- maybe what they advertise as "beefy" tee or something like that. The design itself seems to be sharp and clear, with no bleeding or blurring at the edges of the ink patches.
Thanks. I agree that it seems were dealing with a very high quality silkscreen shirt.

No, it's NOT cracking. I edited my original post to indicate that her souvenir shirt is good quality and still soft and bright and not cracking, which is UNlike the ones from earlier in the 80s which are plasticky and iron-on feeling.. also my concert tshirts from the late 80s that were mass produced are iron-on and cracking, also unlike her lehigh river one posted above. I think the one here in this thread is higher quality like my mothers.
I understand now. Do you remember what type of store she bought it from? Was it more of an upscale type gift shop? Or a cheap one where they are mass produced and sold super cheap?

It does seem ours is very high quality. I think we all can agree on that, right?

I understand now. Do you remember what type of store she bought it from? Was it more of an upscale type gift shop? Or a cheap one where they are mass produced and sold super cheap?

It does seem ours is very high quality. I think we all can agree on that, right?

Agreed.

I wasn't with my mother when she bought it, unfortunately - she was white water rafting and I was too young to go. She bought it at the rafting place. I have a souvenir photo she got made there around here someplace, perhaps i can find the company name to get a better idea of the sort of place it was. But not till tomorrow.

One thing that's interesting when looking through images of Red Tailed Hawks is they are so vastly different from one another. Regardless, can someone post a side by side of this red tail since the feather pattern is very clear in this picture?

img_1123.jpg

They differ from location to location. Ours here, have the very red tail. Not like the feathers I posted separately.

Mmarty, can you tell us the approximate dimensions of of that piece of the shirt? The description says upper right neck and arm -- but would you say it's a quarter of the front? Or smaller?
There's a ruler in the picture.

It looks like 10" x 3-1/2". The widest tail span is 5".

All approximate, of course.

There's a ruler in the picture.

It looks like 10" x 3-1/2". The widest tail span is 5".

All approximate, of course.

That picture doesn't show the entire width of the material though.

That picture doesn't show the entire width of the material though.
I accounted for that with an extra half inch or so. I might be off by an inch for the main portion. The rest of it turns into a little string. I think the most important measurement is the tail---since we have the entire tail. And the portion orange circle that we can see is approximately 7-1/2". It's pretty clear to me that this design took up significant space on the front of the shirt. But if you want to wait for the detectives to answer, that's cool. I believe they don't actually have the shirt in their possession right now. Maybe there's a notation of the measurements.

Yes, the kestrel is smaller looking, but has similar markings:
If you look at the images of it flying, the tail doesn't look anything like our bird, IMO.

6056659253_550f011d9a_z.jpg

Since every expert who has been consulted has provided a different answer, I really think we're wasting our time on the type of bird. After I post what I found in the books, I'm going to regroup and focus my attention elsewhere. The books are still useful for identifying artists in the acknowledgements.

edit - nevermind. pondering silently for now.

If you look at the images of it flying, the tail doesn't look anything like our bird, IMO.

6056659253_550f011d9a_z.jpg

Since every expert who has been consulted has provided a different answer, I really think we're wasting our time on the type of bird. After I post what I found in the books, I'm going to regroup and focus my attention elsewhere. The books are still useful for identifying artists in the acknowledgements.

I'd agree that this flight picture doesn't look like the bird in the tee. The problem is (as many of us seem to be acknowledging, now) that a bird species differs not only from region to region, but also from male to female, and from juvenile to adult. It's mind-boggling...and I agree that, unless the detectives have a different opinion, it's not getting us anywhere (that I can see at least). I'd think the place where the tee was made, or the artist or time period in which it was designed, would be far more important.

The other kind of bird I want to mention is the snowy owl, juvenile dark phase. I know they were popular around the late 80s because my two kids born that decade were gaga over them. Youngest still has three stuffed snowy owls that he left at home with orders for me to take care of :) I also remember that designers took a lot of liberties with the details, so while a real juvenile snowy owl wouldn't look like the design on the shirt, I remember t-shirts and posters that did resemble it.

I would think the barred owl would be a possibility as well. http://friendsofsherwoodisland.org/birds/barred-owl/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18