NV NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long would you guess it would take to rule out or confirm if the man who looks VERY much like the photo LE submitted to us is the UID?

If the dentals or dna of this missing person have been uploaded to Namus - sometimes the Detectives can rule them out (or keep them on the pending list) within minutes. Do you have a particular person in mind? Is their name listed on the alpha list (post #1653) or have they been added for submission since that post?

If the dentals or dna of this missing person have been uploaded to Namus - sometimes the Detectives can rule them out (or keep them on the pending list) within minutes. Do you have a particular person in mind? Is their name listed on the alpha list (post #1653) or have they been added for submission since that post?
T. Blake - IMO he is the match

T. Blake - IMO he is the match

He is still on the pending list due to the lack of dentals & dna on Namus. The Detectives are now having to go through and contact each police dept who have the original missing persons report to investigate if there are ways to obtain the needed info or request dentals and dna be uploaded to Namus. This could take some time (months?) but usually when one Police Dept contacts another for info - they are pretty good about getting right on the request.

WOW actually - to think that the ad engine is now doing searches for us as well.
Now if they could just do that for every thread where we need to identify clothing and accessories - I wouldn't mind at all.
... even though it was too late

Well for a while I did have ads for Hanes underwear when I was searching that, before the hawk picture ads, now it's definite T-shirts

OT but today I had a falcon land in the tree above my bird feeder. He sat on the branch for quite a while since all the birds flew into the old Christmas tree my wife puts out there for cover. After a while he flew down on the path and caught something, plucked out some feathers and flew off with it. Examining the feathers it was a female Junco.

Nothing short of awesome for all the posters who worked on the hawk pictures!

IMG_3324 editSM.jpg

A cosmetologist friend of a poster looked at pics and was certain it was colored. Detectives asserted their opinion that it was not colored, IIRC. This is probably within pages 2-10 of this thread someplace but it moved quite fast so it could be a tad later.

My own opinion is that the coarseness/texture of this hair reminds me of a close family friend who has grey hair but who I asked one time, did you use to have red hair? Because of the thick, coarse texture of his hair. He had indeed had strawberry blonde/reddish hair. He is Irish, for what it's worth (probably nothing). But I did think, as a NON-cosmetologist, that perhaps the reason some people think it's been colored is the textural appearance. But have no idea.

BBM

My son is a natural Red Head, he is only a teenager. He has a myriad of colors running through his hair from Blonde to Various Shade of Red and even some Grey ones here and there. It is also very thick/course as you all describe. He would be mostly Belgian/Polish/Irish on my side and Irish & Italian on his fathers.

So I can see where this may be a natural and not processed color.

~

I didn't find any candidates on the West Virginia State Police missing site.

'Maybe it's been said before but I'm gonna say it now (because I think it's important ;))

It's amazing what can be accomplished when so many WS members pull together on a case. The small clues lead to more clues and then still more clues until finally there will be the ultimate answer... an identity. A name and a face that once belonged to someone long lost in this world.

Having LE involved and answering questions has been invaluable! I hope this type of involvement will become a model (of sorts) and other cold cases will be become active and finally resolved... as I believe this one will, very soon.

That's all. Carry on!!

I'm still reading the thread (so I can do better at getting details correct), but the first thing that comes to mind for me: summer+Nevada+artsy T-shirt+transient=Burning Man. Burning Man wasn't as big as it is now, but there were thousands of transients in and out of that area even then.

Personally, I feel that since there was an underwear band mostly missing, a fragment of a T-shirt, a complete sock and a half sock, all out in the open, that someone killed him for whatever reason and stole his pants and boots. In the blanket, the pants and underwear in good condition were protected and did not rot or get torn by animal activity. IMO these were his extras. I still feel that it makes more sense, especially knowing that bone fragments were found within 75 feet of the remains, that the hands and feet were scattered/ carried away by animals. Then this perp drove away and tossed his crappy shoes out the window down the road and put on our vic's boots. This is JMO and I only say boots because I like boots.

I still think he was sleeping in the blanket, and not carried in it. If I am going to wrap a DB in a blanket for transporting why am I putting his undies in there too?

All speculation and not a shred of fact. (aside from the known artifacts)

:cow:

I agree with your speculation about the boots. Western boots are expensive due to being well-made and durable; if the killer or accomplice was wearing crappy too-small shoes that had been oddly repaired, he or an accomplice well could've been tempted to take the boots off the UID's feet (which were probably at least a size 12, so would have fit better than a too-small pair of sneakers). Of course, I like boots too, being a SW gal, so I'm also biased. ;)

One minor aside - pretty sure it was the waistband (with the size written on it) that had survived the elements, and the rest of the underwear had disintegrated.

I finished combing through the Charley Project (Texas missing) last night just b/c I'd started it and wanted to complete it – but personally think I’ll await results on TSB before searching anymore. I was so struck by the photo’s resemblance when I posted it with the composite here, that it has somewhat taken the wind out of my sails to search anymore. In my gut I think we’ve found him. Spending some time on my neglected home and hubby this weekend. :)

Also while waiting to hear news I've looked at several relevant posts on the TSB missing thread—and was led to another related thread (UID in Crowley, TX).

And...I'm being sucked in to another UID mystery...

Don't know if this name is on the rule out list. There is a resemblance. However, more interesting is that there is a POI in his case that is missing that was once tracked to arizona.

POI:

https://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/richard-forsyth/

Victim:
https://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/steven-kirchhoff/

Excellent find Owata!

Forsyth was put on missing list in '94 but missing since 1978 (possible one rept sighting in 2001?) -( the POI listed above). His Namus info is below:

246) Forsyth, Richard N 6’0 Brown DOB 1952 (age 41/94) MSG ’78 (p1712) Namus no dental avail no dna avail
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17087/1/

247) Kirchhoff, Steven D 5’11 Brown (reddish?) DOB 1955 (Age 22/78) (p1712) Namus dental avail & entered, no dna avail
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17053/0/

You know how meth and crack cause people to lose their teeth? I don't know how many years it takes for that to happen. I remember in the mid-80s hearing about crack on the news. My first husband and I looked at each other and said, "What's that?" Because we thought we knew it all. LOL

The 70s was mostly weed and psychedelics. Coke made its big appearance in the early early 80s. Then crack arrived in the mid-80s. I just looked it up. 1984. It first started in Los Angeles. Coke addicts who couldn't afford coke switched to crack.

I wonder which teeth our guy is missing. Hmmm.....

Well, there's crack and there's crank. Crank is methamphetamine. I went to an open house when I was looking to buy, and the house had been a rental with a meth lab. It was early 80's, West Coast. I had never heard of meth before then.

Meth addicts have terrible teeth, but I don't know if teeth like that would be described as "healed": I think maybe they'd be described as corroded or broken.

This guy is skinny though! He died in 92, was still wearing vintage clothing. Drugs and homelessness make you lose teeth.

It was not at all rare or strange for casual folks in the 80's and '90's to wear well-worn favorite T-shirts. I probably did myself! At that time, these were not vintage. I lived out west (California and Oregon), and with hippie culture and styles (yes, way beyond the 90's in Oregon), it could have holes in it and be completely appropriate. You would be able to buy very high quality artsy T-shirts at artsy festivals, hippie stores, museums....... Lots of choices....

Also, "homeless" may be a misnomer here. There are thousands of people out there who drift around. There are people you may know who do this. They share rides, couch surf, ride the rails, sleep in the woods, go to festivals, ski all day and work weekends. I have hung out with all kinds of people just like this.....

It was not at all rare or strange for casual folks in the 80's and '90's to wear well-worn favorite T-shirts. I probably did myself! At that time, these were not vintage. I lived out west (California and Oregon), and with hippie culture and styles (yes, way beyond the 90's in Oregon), it could have holes in it and be completely appropriate. You would be able to buy very high quality artsy T-shirts at artsy festivals, hippie stores, museums....... Lots of choices....

Also, "homeless" may be a misnomer here. There are thousands of people out there who drift around. There are people you may know who do this. They share rides, couch surf, ride the rails, sleep in the woods, go to festivals, ski all day and work weekends. I have hung out with all kinds of people just like this.....

I didn't know about this culture until I watched this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QKbIb8wcz0

Super educational IMO.

Excellent find Owata!

Forsyth was put on missing list in '94 but missing since 1978 (possible one rept sighting in 2001?) -( the POI listed above). His Namus info is below:

246) Forsyth, Richard N 6’0 Brown DOB 1952 (age 41/94) MSG ’78 (p1712) Namus no dental avail no dna avail
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17087/1/

247) Kirchhoff, Steven D 5’11 Brown (reddish?) DOB 1955 (Age 22/78) (p1712) Namus dental avail & entered, no dna avail
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17053/0/

I googled the words missing and hawk and these were from Black Hawk County, Iowa. I also tried missing and red or redd. Got nothing. Was thinking there might be a nickname because of the red hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattvaspa895