NV NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Miss Muffet, I love you! You are not the Miss Muffett in my old nursery rhymes, that is for sure. No sitting on your tuffet eating pudding or what ever she was eating, LOL curds and waves, WTH is that anyway?
It's curds and whey. I just looked it up. It's cottage cheese. Miss Muffet was the name of my childhood dog. Her nickname was Missy. Based on some comments I have received in the past, I've learned my username has connotations I never intended. LOL

The missing teeth could have been removed to make identification more difficult.

Good luck with your test.

Hmmm, I got the impression the teeth had been missing well before death. Detectives stated the sockets had "healed."

...any help in regard to this t-shirt would be greatly appreciated.

What is everyone else seeing as the title on this thread? I thought they changed it to NV Near Wellington... and left off the dog like Mmarty asked, but it keeps coming up with the old title for some reason.

Miss Muffet, you are truly an amazing researcher and we are honored to have you on our side! My partner and I send you our many thanks. Let's keep digging. I think it was Fig Tree who said he had a friend who had the exact t-shirt. If we can just get that person to still have the t-shirt or remember what it was, coupled with your research, we are in business!

...any help in regard to this t-shirt would be greatly appreciated.

We're work'n on it, LOL Miss Muffet has narrowed down to a hawk, red tail I believe. That helps with our searches. I got a email back for a vintage store out your way, The Nest, she doesn't have anything like that but requested the drawing I did of the bird in the sun as a reference. I ask her to see if there are any vintage tee shirt shops in the area. I really think this was a free lance artist, but I hope not.

BBM - After looking at so many pic's I keep coming back to an owl also. To me, the markings on their wings and tail feathers most closely resemble the image on the T-Shirt. imo

Image: The Great Horned Owl
http://www.stephenoachs.com/gallery-great-horned-owl.php

Well I borrowed the owl from the link (only because it looks like my favorite tree, LOL) and flipped it left.

I really wanted to overlay it on a harvest moon. Speaking of which there are a lot of Neal Young "Harvest" T-shirts burned into my brain again because I knew I saw that orange disc somewhere, LOL. Ahh, the 70's...

My wife could not do it in Photoshop today so I did it in paint, LOL. I'm no Skully!

~So the questions seem to be Owl or Hawk?
~Top side or underside?
~With prey or without
~round or not

Owlmoon.jpg

( If quoting please include this link for credit; http://www.stephenoachs.com/gallery-great-horned-owl.php)

Oh and here is what I wanted to overlay, however we know it's sketched not photographic so no big woop.

Harvest-Moon-420x246.jpg

Or

harvestmoon.jpg

They think it's an artist's inaccurate depiction of a Red Tail Hawk because you almost never see an owl flying and/or soaring upward with outstretched wings.

In other words, it's not an accurate depiction of any bird? (The tail is not reddish-hued like the red-tailed hawk). Though the tail feathers have looked somewhat similar to an owl's, the soaring wings have never appeared to be like those of a flying owl, to me. The drawings I've seen have always been wings with a deeper arc or curve, possibly because the owl is a 'chunkier' bird.

I'm wishing for something more definitive, but I'm thinking now we probably won't get that. :o

Well I borrowed the owl from the link (only because it looks like my favorite tree, LOL) and flipped it left.

I really wanted to overlay it on a harvest moon. Speaking of which there are a lot of Neal Young "Harvest" T-shirts burned into my brain again because I knew I saw that orange disc somewhere, LOL. Ahh, the 70's...

My wife could not do it in Photoshop today so I did it in paint, LOL. I'm no Skully!

~So the questions seem to be Owl or Hawk?
~Top side or underside?
~With prey or without
~round or not

View attachment 73027

( If quoting please include this link for credit; http://www.stephenoachs.com/gallery-great-horned-owl.php)

Oh and here is what I wanted to overlay, however we know it's sketched not photographic so no big woop.

View attachment 73028

Or

View attachment 73029
I think it looks great!! That is exactly what I think I am seeing.

Stelehart,

You did great on that graphic. If you look at the tail feathers, the dark parts of the feathers sort of line up with each other, in the hawk, they are sort of zig zag in pattern. The tails are very similar in length, but my understanding is the hawks tail is longer than the owls. Still waiting for Game and Wildlife experts to just confirm it is a hawk.

This post will seem like a massive long shot but...
For the last few days I have really been thinking over the piece of fabric and the partial piece of design on the T-Shirt - and whether or not to post at all - mainly because I am sure I have seen this design on a T-Shirt.
To cut a long story short I was passing through Arizona in mid 1993 - I travelled from Australia. When I reached Sedonna, I bought a number of T-Shirts with Native American designs that appealed to me.
Now, I didn't buy the T-Shirt with the Bird on it, but one of the people I was travelling with did, and he wore that T-Shirt a lot so it sort of stuck in my memory.
The store that sold it was off the main highway, they sold T's 3 for $10 (on special).
The other thing was I thought the Bird was an Owl. The base colour of the T-shirt he bought was like a buckwheat - there were also other coloured backgrounds of this Shirt.
Somewhere I still have the T-shirts I bought - they are packed somewhere. If I can find the brand on my T-Shirts label - maybe that would help?

Yep, I did say long shot. I will also look through the photo album to see if there is a picture of him wearing the T-Shirt.

BBM;
Doesn't seem like that much of a long shot -

~ If just 1 person remembers we are miles ahead!
~ now you have a person!
~ YES! we were not told about the neck but we were told that there was no label found. That's a biggie.
~ if you find it and even if it's different it gives more info for an image search than we have.

So . Any possibility of getting in touch with that person?

Thanks!

:cow:

Miss Muffet, you are truly an amazing researcher and we are honored to have you on our side! My partner and I send you our many thanks. Let's keep digging. I think it was Fig Tree who said he had a friend who had the exact t-shirt. If we can just get that person to still have the t-shirt or remember what it was, coupled with your research, we are in business!

You see FigTree, NOT a Long Shot! At this point nothing is a long shot IMO

Stelehart,

You did great on that graphic. If you look at the tail feathers, the dark parts of the feathers sort of line up with each other, in the hawk, they are sort of zig zag in pattern. The tails are very similar in length, but my understanding is the hawks tail is longer than the owls. Still waiting for Game and Wildlife experts to just confirm it is a hawk.

I was stuck on Red Tail in my earlier posts, but I still think it is top side not under and the Red Tail is too dark on top to match our wings. Remembering though, It is a black and white sketch and the staining is a huge fly in the ointment.

Stelehart,

Thanks, actually all I wanted was orientation and color to try and search "visually similar images". I'll let ya know.

Thanks, actually all I wanted was orientation and color to try and search "visually similar images". I'll let ya know.

I know, I put my drawing in but didn't get much back. I did get some strange stuff though..... I am now emailing vintage clothing stores, and one graphic artist who is big on the 70 and 80's hope someone emails back.

Google spanked me on that, LOL I got shoes.
They must be using some algorithm to average EXIF and metadata with visual recognition or something.

Wow, you guys are really doing great work :D Woot! And I think you're seriously on the right track.

I found this soaring owl on a website called magicalomaha. They print it on totem charms etc. http://www.magicalomaha.com/wwGreatHornedOwlTF.jpg

And this t-shirt with a soaring owl: http://www.polyvore.com/damned_delux_womens_owl_tee/thing?id=122154561

Here's a soaring owl with a crescent moon: https://www.etsy.com/listing/212823517/mens-organic-t-shirt-owl-t-shirt-moon-t?ref=market

Different style of art, but check the design here! https://www.etsy.com/listing/219014986/night-grooves-t-shirt-tee-shirt-tri?ref=market

And here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/215767924/sale-halloween-aceo-giclee-print-owl?ref=market

Owl and smiling moon. It's nothing like our shirt, I just included it because it's so cute :D https://www.etsy.com/listing/77491346/owl-and-smiling-moon-whimsical-fantasy?ref=market

I'm still looking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member