Identified! NV - Wellington, WhtMale 574UMNV, 35-50, Off Sand Canyon Road, Mar'92 - #2 - Vincent Marion Trapp

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
His mouth shape looks like a match to the composite ....

Detectives - I hope you are well and busy. Busy is good, LOL

Thinking,,, this still looks to me like one homeless man murdered by another homeless man for whatever reason, maybe as simple as his shoes. He wanted to be unknown and as yet he has succeeded. He clung to things he valued. The shirt, the blanket, the dog, his car? The Location. Not exactly visible. A murderer happened upon him and wanted something.

Was there a fire pit?

After so much time and so many eyes on it, maybe there is something overlooked. It was not a make-shift camp we were told. If I were to make one and I did not want to be found I could do that. I know of a man off the grid not more than 40 yards from the road and even the turkey hunters don't know he's there. (unlesstheyarenottellingme, LOL)

If our UID had a car, even if the perp somehow found it, perhaps the he tried to hide it in an effort to delay discovery. Even if it did not belong to the UID maybe he feared that it did? I know they may be unrelated, but in a way, maybe they are.

Curious about anyone's thoughts.

Was there a fire pit?

MOO

My "Reply to Thread" button is all goofy. I had to "Go Advanced."

Regarding the fire pit....

While I think it's a possibility a fire pit might suggest some avenues for further investigation, I have several issues:

1. Not everyone, by any means, actually builds a fire when they camp. This would be especially true if one was trying to stay hidden. Personally, I never ever build a fire when camping, car camping, backcountry, any of it. I haven't built a fire since 1983 or so, and I've camped out hundreds of nights, including a homeless stint in a free camp spot.

2. A fire pit in the vicinity of the corpse might not have belonged to the UID.

3. The UID may have used a stove that got stolen.

4. The UID may have eaten sandwiches.

5. The UID might not have been killed /died in the vicinity of the nearest fire pit. Perhaps he crawled to the spot where he died?

6. A fire pit could have been buried by the perp.

7. If the location has certain characteristics, there could have been a flash flood that would wash things away, including fire debris and other evidence.

8. Is there any water at that location? If not, the UID would have had trouble camping; it it's dry there (as I understand it is) the UID would have got very thirsty. If he had a dog, the dog wouldn't have liked going waterless one bit.

What might be productive is to dig through the debris left in nearby fire pits to see if there's anything relevant. Car keys? The rest of a dog collar with tags? Insignia for a motorcycle gang? Some of the fire pits in the backcountry have years and years have stuff accumulated under the top layer of charcoal.

The homeless scenario seems kind of unlikely to me unless we extend the concept to include rock band groupies, Burning Man attendees, and miscellaneous random travelers.... That place seems remote and not to have much to draw a homeless person. It was free, though, and it's hard to find free camp spots (you have to kind of know about them). I can't really figure out what that location would be on the way to or near. However, I am thinking the UID was hiding and knew someone was after him. Drugs, maybe. A sneak. A card game that went bad. A gang. Settling an old score....

I'm not sure I could see a homeless person killing someone for their shoes or much of anything a homeless person might have on him (except maybe money). Homeless folks can get fully outfitted (and gladly) at a shelter or outreach program. There are some generous and thoughtful people out there, and a place like Reno would have had a place to get handouts (e.g. a church), a good meal, a replacement coat, a sturdy pair of boots. Reach-out centers have showers, stuff like razors and shampoo, soup and bread, and sometimes a ride to another location or a warming place if it's cold out. Homeless folks know where the services are: it gets around.

A chance meeting between two homeless folks might be a difficult occasion for a random stabbing, because there'd be no way to know if the potential victim was armed, e.g. with a knife. I'm thinking it would be stupid to pick that kind of a fight.

I'm also not certain that a homeless person vs. homeless person scenario would result in hands and feet cut off and removed from the site. A homeless person walking off with hands and feet? Stashed in a back pack? Wrapped in newspaper? This seems just too weird.

The dog could have belonged to the perp and not the UID? The dog ran off when a marmot was sighted and the perp couldn't get him back and felt he needed to leave quickly? The dog got loose when the perp came back to check on the corpse and not at the time of the stabbing?

Program coming up on National Geographic on outlaw bikers. This may have some relevance to the UID's situation?

OMG. Documentary on National Geographic on the Bandidos in Bellingham WA starting in the '80's. Skinny red head guy with red hair.....

In watching that NG documentary on the Bandidos, many of them have hands with large diameter rings on every finger, even the thumb. This may be a reason to cut off someone's hands after murdering them (or before, for that matter)?

Maybe there wasn't just one perp?

The Bandidos like to use knives in their assaults....

Shot in the dark, but as you can tell, I'm all about a motor cycle gang being involved in our UID's death.......

In watching that NG documentary on the Bandidos, many of them have hands with large diameter rings on every finger, even the thumb. This may be a reason to cut off someone's hands after murdering them (or before, for that matter)?

Maybe there wasn't just one perp?

The Bandidos like to use knives in their assaults....

Shot in the dark, but as you can tell, I'm all about a motor cycle gang being involved in our UID's death.......
I missed the documentary but I bet it's online. This is an intriguing theory to consider.

Just popping by to check on any updates!! Anything else we can help with? I hope the detectives have come across a lead in this case and giving our "Desert John Doe" his rightful name :)

If any of you would like to help out with our dozens of other unidentified cases, you'd be most welcome.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cj2935
Back