NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll, DT found liable re sexual assault, $5M award, countersuit dismissed, appeal rejected, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
he is not legally required to appear or testify.

Like in any jury trial between individuals (v companies), jurors can make what they want of the fact that one party is not present. Not overtly of course, lol, but that's what we do as thinking humans.
thank you for the info---- I tbought both parties were required to attend the trial

1682628401080.png
The jury was shown a 2019 email Carroll sent to an editor at New York Magazine, which ran an excerpt of the book including the part about Trump

They are done for the day, and will return on Monday to continue the cross of Carroll.

Here is the @innercitypress live tweet archive for today.

Trump attorney Joe Tacopina brought up an email E. Jean Carroll had sent in which she included a link about Donald Trump and remarked: “When we’re both well enough to scheme, we must do our patriotic duty again.” The defense hopes to use this email to bolster the theory that Carroll and two of her friends have concocted a false story about Trump. The friends are expected to testify that Carroll told them around the time of the alleged attack that Trump had sexually assaulted her at Bergdorf Goodman.

From the outset, Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina has tried to chip away at the credibility of accuser E. Jean Carroll. He brought up her politics (she voted for Democrats) and her unpublished writing (“I’ve become persuaded that he wants to kill me,” she once wrote of Trump).
Now, Tacopina is focusing on a detail about the alleged assault at the center of Carroll’s lawsuit. Carroll has said the assault took place inside a Bergdorf Goodman, an upscale department store in Manhattan.
But when?
Tacopina is focusing on the fact that Carroll cannot identify a specific date of the alleged rape.
After not being able to commit to a year in the mid-1990s, Carroll now believes it was the spring of 1996, based on the timing of a Trump piece published in New York magazine by her friend and an outcry witness, Lisa Birnbach.
Birnbach, who is expected to testify in this trial, told Carroll she is firm on the timing because she went to Mar-a-Lago to report for the piece. “She swears up and down that she would never go if she had heard about what Trump did to me at Bergdorf’s,” Carroll testified.

She’s fighting a good fight!
Over and over again I am impressed by her fire. She is not backing down!!

U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan called a break for the day, saying the trial will resume Monday. He reminded jurors not to read or talk about the case. Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina said he is “more than halfway” through his questioning of accuser E. Jean Carroll.

Kaplan said things would move “a lot faster” if Tacopina stopped the repetition and “argumentative questions.”

Thank you all for posting articles about the case - now I do not have to go look for the tweets as they are in post #215! :)

And I see the trial continues on Monday...

Again THANKS! :) Saves me a LOT of time!

ADMIN REMINDER:

Some posts have been removed.

From The Rules: Etiquette & Information

NAME CALLING and DEROGATORY NAME VARIATIONS

In an effort to keep case discussion constructive, name calling, general bashing and using derogatory name variations for any of the case players is not tolerated. Regardless of how we may feel about many of the people who are the focus of our discussion here, it is always best to elevate the conversation and avoid this type of posting behavior. Feel free to express your displeasure with individuals that are being discussed, just avoid petty nastiness, name calling, name changes/variations, and over the top rude posts directed at case players.

Here are a couple of videos where trial reporters describe the action in the court.

This one has Lisa Rubin who is a former attorney.

This one has reporter Adam Klasfeld and attorney Faith Gay who were both in court.

Here is Klasfeld's story from yesterday.

Last edited:
<modsnip: No link to info stated as fact> She wrote a "me too' man hater book. She allegedly SAVED the entire outfit she wore during the rape for 35 years.

Stop. Facts. Per her own book.

Never heard of any woman - ever - keeping material souvenirs of her traumatic rape. It's hinky and you know it.

Writer for ELLE and THE DONALD shopping and flirting in BG in Manhattan? That would have spread like wildfire.

Yes, women make false allegations and ruin people's lives, a la' Amber Heard. Because they are psycho. Terrible, but true.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to defend oneself against false allegations of SA? Compound that with a book, 35 +years time lapse, no date or even year of the SA and not a scintilla of evidence.

This is not justice.

JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:

<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped>
Conversely, at least 18 women have accused DT of sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, sexual assault, against themselves personally. From the late 1970s through 2013.

We’re talking facts? OK. I can do that and provide links to support them.

Fact: 1996 was 27 years ago, not 35 years. No link. Do the math.

Fact: Saving the dress=Monica Lewinsky. Blue dress. 1998. Not a “souvenir.” Proof.
Or hang it in the back of the closet until you can deal with it (get it cleaned).
There is a thread on R e d d I t on this very subject.

Fact: It’s certainly possible and credible that a woman could be sexually assaulted by more than one man.
WA State statistic: Almost 20% of these women have been the victims of multiple assaults by different offenders.

Fact: Just because it didn’t hit the papers doesn’t mean they weren’t at BG together. Donald Trump was a master at getting publicity…if he wanted it.

Fact: Yes, women occasionally make false accusations. More often, accused men call the victim a liar. Trump has a history of calling women who accuse him liars.
Regarding women’s accusations—“Trump has vehemently denied all of the various women’s accusations multiple times. In some cases, he and his team members have specifically denied individual accusations, but they have also repeatedly issued blanket denials against all the allegations, calling the women liars.”

Fact: Yes, we know it’s very difficult to defend oneself against a false accusation of rape. But it’s even more difficult for a woman to endure a trial when she has been raped and that’s what many men count on. “Why didn’t you scream?”
“Survivors exhibit a spectrum of emotional responses to assault: calm, hysteria, laughter, anger, apathy, shock. Each survivor copes with the trauma of the assault in a different way.”

Misogyny is alive and well. But women are brave and strong.

Anyone TRULY interested in understanding the facts needs to read this article.

JMO

<modsnip: No link to info stated as fact> She wrote a "me too' man hater book. She allegedly SAVED the entire outfit she wore during the rape for 35 years.

Stop. Facts. Per her own book.

Never heard of any woman - ever - keeping material souvenirs of her traumatic rape. It's hinky and you know it.

Writer for ELLE and THE DONALD shopping and flirting in BG in Manhattan? That would have spread like wildfire.

Yes, women make false allegations and ruin people's lives, a la' Amber Heard. Because they are psycho. Terrible, but true.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to defend oneself against false allegations of SA? Compound that with a book, 35 +years time lapse, no date or even year of the SA and not a scintilla of evidence.

This is not justice.

JMHO
False accusations do occur, but they're extremely rare. Less than 1% of rape accusations are deemed false.

We're not talking about statistics, though; we're talking about this particular case.

I am convinced that Trump raped E. Jean Carroll—and probably many other women, including many young women who were part of Epstein's entourage—but I think that Carroll's chances of winning the suit are only about 50/50 <modsnip: Politicizing>

False accusations do occur, but they're extremely rare. Less than 1% of rape accusations are deemed false.

We're not talking about statistics, though; we're talking about this particular case.

I am convinced that Trump raped E. Jean Carroll—and probably many other women, including many young women who were part of Epstein's entourage—but I think that Carroll's chances of winning the suit are only about 50/50 <modsnip: Politicizing>
I'd give it better odds with a civil suit being based on 51% or more balance of probabilities vs beyond reasonable doubt. IMO a win is quite possible.

We’re talking facts? OK. I can do that and provide links to support them.

Fact: 1996 was 27 years ago, not 35 years. No link. Do the math.

Fact: Saving the dress=Monica Lewinsky. Blue dress. 1998. Not a “souvenir.” Proof.
Or hang it in the back of the closet until you can deal with it (get it cleaned).
There is a thread on R e d d I t on this very subject.

Fact: It’s certainly possible and credible that a woman could be sexually assaulted by more than one man.
WA State statistic: Almost 20% of these women have been the victims of multiple assaults by different offenders.

Fact: Just because it didn’t hit the papers doesn’t mean they weren’t at BG together. Donald Trump was a master at getting publicity…if he wanted it.

Fact: Yes, women occasionally make false accusations. More often, accused men call the victim a liar. Trump has a history of calling women who accuse him liars.
Regarding women’s accusations—“Trump has vehemently denied all of the various women’s accusations multiple times. In some cases, he and his team members have specifically denied individual accusations, but they have also repeatedly issued blanket denials against all the allegations, calling the women liars.”

Fact: Yes, we know it’s very difficult to defend oneself against a false accusation of rape. But it’s even more difficult for a woman to endure a trial when she has been raped and that’s what many men count on. “Why didn’t you scream?”
“Survivors exhibit a spectrum of emotional responses to assault: calm, hysteria, laughter, anger, apathy, shock. Each survivor copes with the trauma of the assault in a different way.”

Misogyny is alive and well. But women are brave and strong.

Anyone TRULY interested in understanding the facts needs to read this article.

JMO

The 25 women who have accused Trump of sexual misconduct

Twenty five women have alleged sexual assault by Trump. There is definitely a pattern of behaviour that is consistent with Carroll's allegations.

How many more have, in T's own words, "let [him] do anything"?

From 2016, more accusations:

On the heels of the damaging videotape on which Trump and former Access Hollywood host Billy Bush salivated over Days of Our Live actress Arianne Zucker, and joked about sexually assaulting women, came allegations that Trump entered the Miss Teen USA changing room where girls as young as 15 were in various states of undress.

Mariah Billado, Miss Teen Vermont 1997 told BuzzFeed, “I remember putting on my dress really quick because I was like, ‘Oh my god, there’s a man in here.'” Three other teenage contestants from the same year confirmed the story. The former pageant contestants discussed their memories of the incident after former Miss Arizona Tasha Dixon told Los Angeles’ CBS affiliate that Trump entered the Miss USA dressing room in 2001 when she was a contestant.

“He just came strolling right in,” Dixon said. “There was no second to put a robe on or any sort of clothing or anything. Some girls were topless. Others girls were naked. Our first introduction to him was when we were at the dress rehearsal and half-naked changing into our bikinis.”

Dixon went on to say that employees of the Miss Universe Organization encouraged the contestants to lavish Trump with attention when he came in. “To have the owner come waltzing in, when we’re naked, or half-naked, in a very physically vulnerable position and then to have the pressure of the people that worked for him telling us to go fawn all over him, go walk up to him, talk to him, get his attention…”

His position as the pageant’s owner entitled him to that kind of access, Trump explained, seemingly aware that what he was doing made the women uncomfortable. “You know, no men are anywhere. And I’m allowed to go in because I’m the owner of the pageant. And therefore I’m inspecting it… Is everyone OK? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. And you see these incredible-looking women. And so I sort of get away with things like that,” he said.

(Billado told BuzzFeed she mentioned the incident to Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, who shrugged it off, saying, “Yeah, he does that.”)

More stories, then …

The 2015 Miss USA pageant was set to take place the first week of July – three weeks after Trump characterized Mexicans as rapists and criminals during his campaign kick-off event. One by one, the pageant’s hosts, judges, sponsors, and broadcasters dropped out. Trump was forced to sell the pageants to WME in September 2015.

In an email to journalists, ex-President Donald Trump posted an attack on E. Jean Carroll that questioned the rape allegations he’s now on trial for.

On Friday, Trump’s campaign sent an email to the media with the subject line “ICYMI: ‘Trump Rape Accuser Admitted to Sexually Harassing Roger Ailes—Told Him He Was Her ‘Future Husband” and said simply “Read the full article by Jim Hoft with the Gateway Pundit here.”

The site is a well-known promoter of far-right conspiracy theories, one of which has resulted in a blockbuster lawsuit by Georgia election workers Wandrea Moss and her mother Ruby Freeman.

Hoft’s article contains a kitchen sink full of oppo and attacks against Carroll. “She sounds like a complete nut,” Hoft wrote.

More on Carroll’s testimony last week:

Carroll was frank about her desire for the company of men – “Oh, I like ’em” she told the jury at one point, to laughter – even if she wrote a book documenting how some, including Trump, mistreated her, and satirically proposing that all males should be shipped to Montana for retraining.

She was not ashamed to admit she was “charmed” by Trump, and was flirting as they browsed through Bergdorf Goodman together on the day he allegedly attacked her, supposedly in search of a gift for a female friend of his. But after she gave a detailed account of Trump’s alleged assault, in which she described him as “rummaging around in my vagina”, she said she now considers him a “brutal, dangerous man”.

She went public with her accusation of rape in 2019, three years into Trump’s presidency, encourage by the #MeToo movement. Carroll had expected Trump to say the encounter was consensual. Instead, he claimed to have no idea who she was, and accused her of making up “false stories of assault to try to get publicity” and to “carry out a political agenda”.

Carroll said a lot of people chose to believe Trump over her.

“It hit me and it laid me low because I lost my reputation. Nobody looked at me the same. It was gone. Even people who knew me looked at me with pity in their eyes, and the people who had no opinion now thought I was a liar and hated me,” she said.

Carroll was fired by Elle magazine after 26 years “because I accused Donald Trump”.

“The force of hatred coming at me was staggering,” she said. Carroll was so frightened she bought bullets for her gun.

When the attacks died down, Carroll set about rebuilding her professional life and her reputation. She moved her advice column to the online publisher Substack and picked up a few thousand subscribers. It was nothing like the millions of readers she had at Elle, but it was a start.

Then, in October last year, Carroll announced she would sue Trump as soon as a New York state law kicked in permitting victims of sexual assault to pursue civil cases after the statute of limitations has expired.

Trump launched another attack. The former president called her allegations “a complete con job”.

“She completely made up a story that I met her at the doors of this crowded New York City department store and, within minutes, ‘swooned’ her. It is a Hoax and a lie,” Trump wrote on his site, Truth Social. “And, while I am not supposed to say it, I will. This woman is not my type!”

Carroll said she knew what that meant: “It means I’m too ugly to attack, to rape.”

Carroll said she was “stunned” by Trump’s post, although perhaps she should not have been surprised, given his track record and her previous experience.

“Just when I had managed to get my Substack up and running, and get my career back,” she testified. “I really felt I was gaining back a bit of ground. And then, boom, he knocks me back down again.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drumgirl29
Back