NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll for defamation, Trial 15 Jan 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The total is more than eight times what Carroll asked for in her initial lawsuit.

I‘m 100% certain that he’s outraged, not only by E.Jean winning, and the YUGE* amount, but by being judged by a jury of ordinary New Yorkers.

I‘m a lifelong ordinary New Yorker who has seen him twice, and even before he was President he considered himself a king of NYC.

This is going to stab at his gut and his ego, as well as his wallet.

IMO

*Although I pronounce “huge” this way myself, lol.

Jury decided only a big sum would stop Trump, says legal expert

Kayla Epstein
US reporter

"This is a large sum. This is a very, very large sum," said Dmitriy Shakhnevich, an attorney and professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice says.

Carroll’s lawyers successfully made the case to the jury that only a significant amount of damages could compel him to stop defaming her, he tells me.

An award for punitive damages “relies on severity of the conduct,” Shakhnevich says.

"What the jury is saying is this is a wealthy man who’s not stopping, and the only way to stop him is to hurt him [financially].”

While we cannot know the jury’s private deliberations, a penalty this large “speaks to the circumstances of the case, and what they thought of it, for sure,” he says.

“There may be appellate procedures, maybe some reductions, but this isn't a good thing and that's for sure."

Judge advises jurors never to say they were on this case

Brandon Livesay
Reporting from court in New York

While thanking the jurors for their work during the trial, Judge Kaplan said they were free to tell people they were involved in the trial.

But he gave a stern word of warning, saying he advised against them ever telling anyone that they were on this jury.

“My advice to you is that you never disclose that you were on this jury, and I won’t say anything more about it"

Carroll’s lawyers successfully made the case to the jury that only a significant amount of damages could compel him to stop defaming her, he tells me.
Am I wrong, or did he not defame E. Jean Carroll recently and also during these trials?

I am thrilled to see this survivor get justice. This is fantastic to see.

The breakdown of the damages

In E Jean Carroll's first trial against Donald Trump last year, which found Trump sexually abused and defamed her, Carroll was awarded $5m in damages.

At the outset of this new separate trial, Carroll asked for twice that amount - $10m - because it focused on defamatory comments made when Trump was president, which she said hurt her more.

Jurors were tasked with weighing the sum of two kinds of damages: compensatory and punitive.

In closing arguments on Friday, Carroll's lawyer urged the jury to order Trump to pay at least $24m in compensatory damages - $12m for reputational harm and $12m for emotional harm - and whatever amount in punitive damages might "make him stop" defaming her client.

The jury decided to award Carroll:

$11m for reputational damages
$7.3m for emotional harm
$65m in punitive damages

To determine the punitive damages, jurors had to decide whether Trump "acted maliciously, out of hatred, ill will, or spite, vindictively, or in wanton, reckless or wilful disregard of Ms Carroll's rights".

Friday's verdict is more than eight times what Carroll's team originally asked for.

'I'm proud to stand with Trump', says lawyer Habba as she attacks judge

Trump's lawyer, Alina Habba, spoke outside court to reporters, saying: "I am so proud to stand with President Trump. But I am not proud to stand with what I saw in that courtroom."

Habba claimed that the "judge decided that every single defence President Trump had, we were not allowed to raise in front of the jury".

Trump and his lawyers faced restrictions on what they could say, because this trial was solely about how much he should pay in damages. The judge had already ruled that he had made defamatory comments, and a different trial previously found him liable for sexually assaulting Carroll.

Habba called the court proceedings "a violation of everything I stand for" and added that this why "so many Americans are so proud that he is running again and so excited to run to the ballot box".

Echoing what Trump posted on Truth Social, she said: "We are seeing the violation of our justice system."

'I'm proud to stand with Trump', says lawyer Habba as she attacks judge

Trump's lawyer, Alina Habba, spoke outside court to reporters, saying: "I am so proud to stand with President Trump. But I am not proud to stand with what I saw in that courtroom."

Habba claimed that the "judge decided that every single defence President Trump had, we were not allowed to raise in front of the jury".

Trump and his lawyers faced restrictions on what they could say, because this trial was solely about how much he should pay in damages. The judge had already ruled that he had made defamatory comments, and a different trial previously found him liable for sexually assaulting Carroll.

Habba called the court proceedings "a violation of everything I stand for" and added that this why "so many Americans are so proud that he is running again and so excited to run to the ballot box".

Echoing what Trump posted on Truth Social, she said: "We are seeing the violation of our justice system."

Which Trump attorney forgot to check the box for a jury trial, Alina?

She is a terrible, terrible attorney. Oh my giddy aunt, she was laughable at times.

MOO of course.

If he's the billionaire he claims to be, $83.3M would be chump change. But he's not and I hope he feels the pinch of it. He will just milk his rubes though. Imo.

Way to go for E. Jean Carroll, her lawyer, and the jury!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beaverton
Back