NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll for defamation, Trial 15 Jan 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Music to my ears! I was hoping for $100 million but this is still significant. Carroll is a singularly brave woman and I applaud her for standing up and saying enough is enough!

Habba - he was judged by a jury of his peers. THEY decided the verdict. He was given full due process and found accountable for his slander and threats. Just because you are clearly incompetent as a trial lawyer, disrespected the court repeatedly and almost landed a contempt charge is YOUR own and your client's fault.

These political witch hunt claims (ad nauseam) are total nonsense and continue to prove that Trump has no actual defense.

A (court acknowledged) rapist, fraudster, insurrectionist, RICO criminal is finally, FINALLY, after decades of harm to multiple parties, being held legally to account. Case by case. I pray that next week, the NY fraud trial will also hit him hard in his wallet. That's all he seems to care about. Himself and his money. JMO.

If he's the billionaire he claims to be, $83.3M would be chump change. But he's not and I hope he feels the pinch of it. He will just milk his rubes though. Imo.

Way to go for E. Jean Carroll, her lawyer, and the jury!
Or maybe his kids will berate him for wasting their inheritance through these irresponsible actions.

What they should really be worrying about are the NYC real estate fraud penalties

Why Trump does not have to pay Carroll yet

Nada Tawfik
Reporting from New York

The former president has made clear he will appeal today's decision - just as he did after he was ordered to pay E Jean Carroll $5m in the first defamation trial.

Former federal prosecutor Mitch Epner says Trump has avoided having to pay her any money so far by paying a deposit to the court while the appeal process plays out.

He says the same rules will apply to these much higher damages. Trump will have to stump up an extra $83.3m - in either cash or an appeal bond - as a deposit.

Without that, Epner says, Carroll can start seizing the former president's personal assets around the country, even putting liens on his real estate.

Trump's misbehaviour may have helped Carroll's case, says law expert

Nada Tawfik
Reporting from New York

Law professor Carl Tobias says he thinks Trump’s "misbehaviour throughout the trial" - for example when he was told off by the judge for interrupting - and especially his conduct during the closing arguments today partly explain the substantial size of the award.

Earlier, Trump was seen shaking his head during closing arguments and then stood up and left midway through.

Tobias says "the lack of respect which Trump exhibited for the judge, the jurors, the opposing counsel, especially Carroll and the civil trial process may have suggested to the jury that Trump had defamed Carroll and reinforced the strength of her case, the credibility of her testimony, and that a large damage award was appropriate and warranted".

"After all, punitive damages are intended to punish and make an example of the defendant."

Law professor expects damages amount to 'stick'

RonNell Anderson Jones, a law professor at the University of Utah, provided the BBC with her analysis of the verdict.

Jones said that the amount of punitive damages is not so "disproportionate" to compensatory damages that it would raise any red flags, adding that she expects the damages amount "will stick".

Jones noted that Carroll "showed that the defendant has both bragged of substantial wealth and publicly resolved to repeat the lie 'a thousand times'".

Are the damages making Trump more cautious?

Jones points to an early clue that the damages might be having a deterrent effect: his social media post immediately after the verdict.

While Trump did call it “absolutely ridiculous”, he did not follow his previous pattern of attacking Carroll or reiterating that he had never met her or that her book was a hoax.

Instead he chose to go after the Biden administration and the legal system more widely.

"It is possible that he is now choosing his words a bit more carefully."

So if Trump becomes President again, we will have a proven sexual abuser in the White House.

I’d guess he’s not the first one—JFK taking advantage of those White House secretaries comes to mind—but it’s a different world now, and the public did not know about JFK or any others back in the day.

I’m only exaggerating a little when I say that if Trump wins, I wouldn’t be surprised if he has E. Jean hauled in front of a firing squad.

A known abuser in the White House. Ghastly.

Making America Gag Again.

Or maybe his kids will berate him for wasting their inheritance through these irresponsible actions.

What they should really be worrying about are the NYC real estate fraud penalties
his kin folk cannot be really happy right now. would not want to be any of them and would not want to have to explain this to the grand kids.

So if Trump becomes President again, we will have a proven sexual abuser in the White House.

I’d guess he’s not the first one—JFK taking advantage of those White House secretaries comes to mind—but it’s a different world now, and the public did not know about JFK or any others back in the day.

I’m only exaggerating a little when I say that if Trump wins, I wouldn’t be surprised if he has E. Jean hauled in front of a firing squad.

A known abuser in the White House. Ghastly.

Making America Gag Again.
The public certainly knew about Bill Clinton and his history of sexual misconduct with multiple women, yet he was elected President twice.

JMO

I'm so old I remember when Republicans were outraged, OUTRAGED, at consensual sexual acts between Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky.

Power imbalance, sure. But he didn't assault her.

But now, having their presidential nominee be a convicted rapist? No big.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back