NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll for defamation, Trial 15 Jan 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gosh, i really feel for your situation there ilovewings!
I am from Australia and am quite removed from the intricacies of US politics.
Whilst our democratic system is different, we do share the same...or at least very similar systems of law. These systems date back well over 500 years. The 'magna carta'. So...the way the law works is very similar. Its very fair...its been the same for hundreds of years.
Occasionally, cases come along where the law needs to be adjusted.

My opinion, and I'm not a US citizen, is that for some strange reason, people see Mr.T as being a person that can cut through bureaucracy. That may be true! But it doesn't mean that he can he can do that in a way that would be a felony for 'normal' people.

MAGA....haha....he has brought out the worst in people.... divided people....pretty much done the opposite of making anything great.

The deck of cards that he has built for himself will fall...at some point.
That deck of cards is taking too long to fall and in the meantime he and his enablers are doing what I consider irreversible damage to our country. Even if he falls off the face of the earth today, the angry, hateful movement he started will not go away completely, though it may somewhat weaken.

Gosh, i really feel for your situation there ilovewings!
I am from Australia and am quite removed from the intricacies of US politics.
Whilst our democratic system is different, we do share the same...or at least very similar systems of law. These systems date back well over 500 years. The 'magna carta'. So...the way the law works is very similar. Its very fair...its been the same for hundreds of years.
Occasionally, cases come along where the law needs to be adjusted.

My opinion, and I'm not a US citizen, is that for some strange reason, people see Mr.T as being a person that can cut through bureaucracy. That may be true.
But, it doesn't mean that he can commit a felony that 'normal people' would be excused for.

MAGA....haha....he has brought out the worst in people.... divided people....pretty much done the opposite of making anything great.

The deck of cards that he has built for himself will fall...at some point.
*wouldn't be excused....

I can tell you that those who support ( dare I say even love) Trump -will continue to support and vote for him: my husband for example--- when I ask him a question about something related to Trump, for example, doesn't it bother him how Trump rants and raves against the judge in court, he says "it is all just nonsense"- that is his reply. He believes in all these cases the judges are against him( he really believes it)- My husband is not stupid: he has a college degree and was an engineer until he retired. There is nothing that can shake his faith and support for Trump: I will never understand it and at some point I cannot continue the discussion---- Trying to point out reality doesn't have any impact as in " so you think all these judges are against him, each and every one?" to which he states he believes that is true. Sigh. Needless to say I don't have too many discussions about Trump with my husband.
I don’t know one single supporter who has changed their mind. I just don’t get it. Never will.

Monday, January 22nd:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ 9:30am ET) - New YorkE. Jean Carroll vs. Donald John Trump. Amended complaint against Trump seeking new damages of at least $10 million, based in part on comments Trump made during a CNN town hall on 5/10/23.
U.S. District of Manhattan 1:20-cv-07311/defamation suit/1:22-cv-10016/damages
U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan presiding. Trump’s attorneys Alina Habba & Michael T. Madaio. Carroll’s attorneys Roberta Kaplan & Shawn Crowley.
These defamation charges were postponed by Judge Lewis Kaplan on 3/30/23. Carroll's first defamation lawsuit against Trump was filed in November 2019. But that case has been put on hold while Trump argues that a federal law protects him from being sued for defamation for comments he made while president. And was amended to Trump’s comments made on 5/10/23.
Trial began on 1/16/24 with jury selection. 9 jurors selected.

Case info from 5/22/23 thru 1/16/24 & Trial Day 1-3 (1/16-1/18/24) reference post #122 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...or-defamation-trial-15-jan-2024.690440/page-7

1/19/24 Friday, Trial Day 4: Trump’s legal team requested a mistrial in Carroll’s defamation case against him because she “actively deleted evidence”—despite the judge denying Trump’s mistrial request for the same reason earlier this week (Wednesday). In a Friday letter to US District Judge Lewis Kaplan, Trump's attorney Alina Habba asked for a mistrial because of what she described as Carroll's failure to preserve evidence relevant to the case. "Plaintiff admitted that she deleted multiple email messages pertaining to purported death threats made to her," Habba wrote. If Kaplan decided not to cancel the rest of the trial — which is expected to conclude by the middle of next week — he should at least tell the jury not to award her any damages related to the death threats or tell the jury that she did something wrong, Habba said. From the letter: For the reasons set forth above, President Trump respectfully requests that: (i) a mistrial be declared; (ii) Plaintiff be precluded from seeking damages relating to death threats purportedly made to her & all testimony related to same be stricken from the record; or (iii) the Court include an adverse inference charge against Plaintiff relating to her willful violation of her discovery obligations & the spoliation of relevant evidence. both sides filed written arguments at the judge’s request on whether Trump’s lawyers can argue to the jury that Carroll had a duty to mitigate any harm caused by Trump’s public statements.
State witness: E. Jean Carroll back on stand for cross exam.
For more info see post #131 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...or-defamation-trial-15-jan-2024.690440/page-7
Trial continues on Monday, 1/22/24.

1/21/24 Update: Carroll’s lawyers notified the court tonight that they intend seek additional damages for statements Trump made over the weekend about Carroll.

NEW YORK (AP) — Former President Donald Trump has told the public for years what he thinks of E. Jean Carroll, the writer who claims he sexually assaulted her in the 1990s. Now he has a chance to talk to a jury about her — but within limits he might well test.

Trump could testify as soon as Monday in the defamation trial over his 2019 comments branding Carroll a liar who faked a sexual attack to sell a memoir. He plans to be in court as the New York trial resumes after a weekend break.

Because a different jury found last year that Trump sexually abused Carroll, U.S. District Judge Judge Lewis A. Kaplan has ruled that if the former president takes the stand now, he won’t be allowed to say she concocted her allegation or that she was motivated by financial or political considerations.

NEW YORK (AP) — Former President Donald Trump has told the public for years what he thinks of E. Jean Carroll, the writer who claims he sexually assaulted her in the 1990s. Now he has a chance to talk to a jury about her — but within limits he might well test.
I can't see this not going off the rails into a full blown rant with lots of insults thrown in.

I can't see this not going off the rails into a full blown rant with lots of insults thrown in.
One of two things will happen: he will not take the stand or he will and do a full blown rant until the judge kicks him out of the court room and then he can scream to his loyal followers, see what a victim I am- the judge is against me, he won't let me speak the truth- they are all against me-they are all trying to keep me from telling the truth , blah blah blah--

One of two things will happen: he will not take the stand or he will and do a full blown rant until the judge kicks him out of the court room and then he can scream to his loyal followers, see what a victim I am- the judge is against me, he won't let me speak the truth- they are all against me-they are all trying to keep me from telling the truth , blah blah blah--

Yep, you know it's coming. "This judge wont let me speak and another judge won't let me have a JURY. SAD!!(even though my attorneys didn't select a jury trial"

Update: rumblings in the courtroom of trial being canceled for the day - it's past 9:30 am and neither Trump nor E Jean Carroll are in the room - Inner City Press digging into to - watch this feed

Update: the talk here on 26th floor is of COVID tests...

Update 2: Outside 26th floor courtroom, US Marshals mill around- but law ckerks just went in (screened by metal detector) - and now a flotilla from the witness room...

Update 3: Trump just walked into courtroom, 9:55 am

Update 4 - Juror number 3 - there's a problem (COVID test) - Judge Kaplan says, we're going to send them off for the day - Roberta Kaplan says, We don't want to lose this jury - Inner City Press will live tweet

Jury entering!Judge Kaplan: Juror 3 reported that he was ill. Rather than risk him coming together and having contact with you, we sent him home. He will COVID test today and report - we will not take testimony today. 1 or 2 of the lawyers are negative after test

Judge Kaplan: Andy will tell you how to report if you have symptoms, and a number to call to find out if we are going to proceed tomorrow or not. This Court continued right through COVID, so I'm sure we'll get through this. Thank you, your transportation is coming

BBM, charming.

Kaplan has canceled testimony for the day. Trump lawyer Alina Habba said she wasn't feeling well after having been exposed to Covid from one or both of her parents, and her co-counsel, Michael Madaio, also was feeling under the weather. A juror also is being tested for the illness.

In court, Trump stood between Habba and Madaio, and none of them were wearing masks.

If no one has Covid, the court is expected to resume tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. Habba has asked that Trump be able to testify Wednesday instead of tomorrow because of the New Hampshire Republican presidential primary, and Kaplan said he would consider her request.

This story is short but wild. Trump must want to go broke!

The night before the final day of E. Jean Carroll's defamation trial against Donald Trump, the former president took aim at the writer and her legal team while griping about his Monday court appearance to a booing New Hampshire crowd.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
repeatfranchisegroup
Back