NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll for defamation, Trial 15 Jan 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
a hug back at ya!!! you are right- Our courts are not designed to deal with him the way they deal with ordinary citizens-- You know the framers of the constitution were visionaries and brilliant, but I don't believe they ever envisioned someone with absolutely no conscience and so corrupt would occupy the office of the presidency: They believed the three branches of government, judicial, executive and legislative, would provide guard rails to prevent such a corrupt individual of becoming all powerful and fascist. Until now, they have been proven right. Our courts stood tall in the last election--- I am losing confidence though, that if (I shall not use his name) T should actually become president, that Democracy will remain.

Bolded for focus. They did. What they never envisioned was an entire political party enabling, supporting, and defending said individual over the Constitution.

Friday, January 19th:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ 9:30am ET) - New YorkE. Jean Carroll vs. Donald John Trump. Amended complaint against Trump seeking new damages of at least $10 million, based in part on comments Trump made during a CNN town hall on 5/10/23.
U.S. District of Manhattan 1:20-cv-07311/defamation suit/1:22-cv-10016/damages
U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan presiding. Trump’s attorneys Alina Habba & Michael T. Madaio. Carroll’s attorneys Roberta Kaplan & Shawn Crowley.
These defamation charges were postponed by Judge Lewis Kaplan on 3/30/23. Carroll's first defamation lawsuit against Trump was filed in November 2019. But that case has been put on hold while Trump argues that a federal law protects him from being sued for defamation for comments he made while president. And was amended to Trump’s comments made on 5/10/23.
Trial began on 1/16/24 with jury selection. 9 jurors selected.

Case info from 5/22/23 thru 1/16/24 & Trial Day 1-2 (1/16-1/17/24) reference post #104 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...or-defamation-trial-15-jan-2024.690440/page-6

1/18/24 Thursday, Trial Day 3: State witnesses: E. Jean Carroll. Northwestern professor Ashlee Humphreys, an expert on damages.
For more info see post #108 (article), 110, 115, 118 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...or-defamation-trial-15-jan-2024.690440/page-6
Trial continues on Friday, 1/19/24.

I'll have to leave, I can't stand this any longer. How old is this guy - 12?
You're being very generous there Kemug!

I know 12 year olds that would tear shreds off him in maths, vocabulary, self control, public speaking....even wisdom.

The weirdest thing for me is, how is it that so many people think this is their best option? They actually choose this as their best option! Sooo weird....

I understand what you are saying and it makes lots of sense --
I am no doubt reacting emotionally, but it is so galling that he knows
That basically he is untouchable for all of his horrible transgressions of the rule of
Law and further that he can make threats that result in death threats toward his
Targets---
You are not alone. I find myself getting emotional as well at those who are enabling him. They are picking one politician over our country and they don't seem to care. :(

You are not alone. I find myself getting emotional as well at those who are enabling him. They are picking one politician over our country and they don't seem to care. :(
Thank you -- I find myself too sad and too angry because what one man and his enablers are doing
To our country-- I dont think it is healthy to be like this--and the fact that he gets away with so much
Makes my blood boil

Thank you -- I find myself too sad and too angry because what one man and his enablers are doing
To our country-- I dont think it is healthy to be like this--and the fact that he gets away with so much
Makes my blood boil
I know. But I also think it's unhealthy for us (definitely for me) to focus too much on what Trump and his co-conspirators and minions are saying, doing, planning, and getting away with. I need to pay less attention to preserve my sanity and keep my anxiety under control. MOO

Trump Requests Mistrial In E. Jean Carroll Defamation Case — Again

Former President Donald Trump’s legal team requested a mistrial in writer E. Jean Carroll’s defamation case against him because she “actively deleted evidence”—despite the judge denying Trump’s mistrial request for the same reason earlier this week.

In a Friday letter to US District Judge Lewis Kaplan, Trump's attorney Alina Habba asked for a mistrial because of what she described as Carroll's failure to preserve evidence relevant to the case.

"Plaintiff admitted that she deleted multiple email messages pertaining to purported death threats made to her," Habba wrote.

If Kaplan decided not to cancel the rest of the trial — which is expected to conclude by the middle of next week — he should at least tell the jury not to award her any damages related to the death threats or tell the jury that she did something wrong, Habba said.
Trump's lawyer asked for a mistrial in his E. Jean Carroll case because she deleted death threat emails

from the letter:
For the reasons set forth above, President Trump respectfully requests that: (i) a mistrial be declared; (ii) Plaintiff be precluded from seeking damages relating to death threats purportedly made to her and all testimony related to same be stricken from the record; or (iii) the Court include an adverse inference charge against Plaintiff relating to her willful violation of her discovery obligations and the spoliation of relevant evidence.
---------------------------------------

Pretty sure literally the only qualification needed to be tRump's lawyer is a law degree and the willingness to continue to refer to him as President Trump :rolleyes:

Last edited:
[...]

Also on Friday, both sides filed written arguments at the judge’s request on whether Trump’s lawyers can argue to the jury that Carroll had a duty to mitigate any harm caused by Trump’s public statements.

Habba asked the judge to instruct the jury that Carroll had an obligation to minimize the effect of the defamation she endured.

Robbie Kaplan said, however, that Habba should be stopped from making such an argument to the jury, as she already did in her opening statement, and that the jury should be instructed that what Habba told them was incorrect.

“It would be particularly shocking to hold that survivors of sexual abuse must keep silent even as their abuser defames them publicly,” she wrote.

[...]

What comes next​

The trial will resume Monday with continued testimony from the plaintiff's team. The jurors will likely hear from an editor at Elle, the magazine where Carroll once worked.

The defense will then bring up their witnesses, which may include Trump. Speaking on Thursday, the former president said he wanted to attend every day of the trial. He missed Thursday to attend his mother-in-law's funeral in Florida.

Posting to social media, Trump also indicated he will be spending much of his time campaigning in New Hampshire next week.

So... I have looked at least 5 articles for Friday - and NONE of them tell me WHO was on the witness stand - just the dismiss motion by defense.

Was Carroll back on the stand after Humpheries from Thursday?

TIA if anyone can help me - need some notes! :)

BREAKING: E. Jean Carroll’s lawyers notified the court tonight that they intend seek additional damages for statements Trump made over the weekend about Carroll, and also made an interesting change in strategy that I explain..

Letter to Judge:

BREAKING: E. Jean Carroll’s lawyers notified the court tonight that they intend seek additional damages for statements Trump made over the weekend about Carroll, and also made an interesting change in strategy that I explain..

Letter to Judge:
IMO he is mentally unstable- his ramblings and rants are demonstrative of someone not in control of their mental faculties-- put another way: I think he is unhinged--- i cannot understand how anyone could think that he would be fit for the presidency!

I just read today that Mr Trump said he thinks that his brain is stronger than it was 25 years ago. Wow! Now what about his good looks? :)
Can brains get "stronger" as we age? what does stronger mean? it is another ludicrous bizarre statement by a man who sees himself as above all others---- it is frightening- As far as his looks, I won't go there but it is obvious he has morphed into an unrecognizeable version of himself over the years.

OMG... i am perplexed at how people could even contemplate this as being their best option...soooo weird!
It will be interesting to see how the testimony goes tomorrow... i am predicting a train crash.. which would be status quo.

Last edited:
OMG... i am perplexed how people could even contemplate this as being their best option...soooo weird!
It will be interesting to see how the testimony goes tomorrow... i am predicting a train crash.. which would be status quo.
I can tell you that those who support ( dare I say even love) Trump -will continue to support and vote for him: my husband for example--- when I ask him a question about something related to Trump, for example, doesn't it bother him how Trump rants and raves against the judge in court, he says "it is all just nonsense"- that is his reply. He believes in all these cases the judges are against him( he really believes it)- My husband is not stupid: he has a college degree and was an engineer until he retired. There is nothing that can shake his faith and support for Trump: I will never understand it and at some point I cannot continue the discussion---- Trying to point out reality doesn't have any impact as in " so you think all these judges are against him, each and every one?" to which he states he believes that is true. Sigh. Needless to say I don't have too many discussions about Trump with my husband.

I can tell you that those who support ( dare I say even love) Trump -will continue to support and vote for him: my husband for example--- when I ask him a question about something related to Trump, for example, doesn't it bother him how Trump rants and raves against the judge in court, he says "it is all just nonsense"- that is his reply. He believes in all these cases the judges are against him( he really believes it)- My husband is not stupid: he has a college degree and was an engineer until he retired. There is nothing that can shake his faith and support for Trump: I will never understand it and at some point I cannot continue the discussion---- Trying to point out reality doesn't have any impact as in " so you think all these judges are against him, each and every one?" to which he states he believes that is true. Sigh. Needless to say I don't have too many discussions about Trump with my husband.

Gosh, i really feel for your situation there ilovewings!
I am from Australia and am quite removed from the intricacies of US politics.
Whilst our democratic system is different, we do share the same...or at least very similar systems of law. These systems date back well over 500 years. The 'magna carta'. So...the way the law works is very similar. Its very fair...its been the same for hundreds of years.
Occasionally, cases come along where the law needs to be adjusted.

My opinion, and I'm not a US citizen, is that for some strange reason, people see Mr.T as being a person that can cut through bureaucracy. That may be true.
But, it doesn't mean that he can commit a felony that 'normal people' would be excused for.

MAGA....haha....he has brought out the worst in people.... divided people....pretty much done the opposite of making anything great.

The deck of cards that he has built for himself will fall...at some point.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back