NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll for defamation, Trial 15 Jan 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You're right, but he WANTS to get thrown out. He even said he'd love it. More ammunition for him to paint himself as the victim to his followers.
It should not matter what he wants or doesnt want--- judges need to do what is appropriate--
I dont think Trump wants to go to jail even for a night-- everything he does is to make himself
Appear to be th victim

Thursday, January 18th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9:30am ET) - New YorkE. Jean Carroll vs. Donald John Trump. Amended complaint against Trump seeking new damages of at least $10 million, based in part on comments Trump made during a CNN town hall on 5/10/23.
U.S. District of Manhattan 1:20-cv-07311/defamation suit/1:22-cv-10016/damages
U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan presiding. Trump’s attorneys Alina Habba & Michael T. Madaio.
These defamation charges were postponed by Judge Lewis Kaplan on 3/30/23. Carroll's first defamation lawsuit against Trump was filed in November 2019. But that case has been put on hold while Trump argues that a federal law protects him from being sued for defamation for comments he made while president. And was amended to Trump’s comments made on 5/10/23.
Trial began on 1/16/24 with jury selection. 9 jurors selected. Opening statements made.

Case info from 5/22/23 thru 1/16/24 & Trial Day 1 (1/16/24) reference post #81 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...or-defamation-trial-15-jan-2024.690440/page-5

1/17/24 Wednesday, Trial Day 2: State witness: E. Jean Carroll.
For more info see post #88 (article) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...or-defamation-trial-15-jan-2024.690440/page-6
Trial continues on Thursday, 1/18/24.

Donald Trump leaves Trump Tower with mysterious marks on his fingers as rape accuser E. Jean Carroll takes the stand in $10million defamation trial​

Hmmm, caught red handed ?
Is it ketchup?
Blisters from frantically posting on TS?
Stay tuned!

I think the Judge is being very careful not to fall into Trump's trap.
He's not giving Trump and his team anything they can use to be grounds for a retrial or dropping the trial.
So all the judges in his cases are being soooooo careful- they are falling into his trap- which is to give the middle finger to the rule of law- hey, no one can control me- I will say and do whatever I want-- go ahead and stop me- you won't because you all are afraid of me and my power of appeals and lawsuits-- he gets away with everything no other person on the planet does--- these judges need to control him--- they won't and he will continue giving the finger to the rule of law--- I can't believe I am living in a country where there is Trump law and everyone else

Alina is having another bad day with basic courtroom skills.

So all the judges in his cases are being soooooo careful- they are falling into his trap- which is to give the middle finger to the rule of law- hey, no one can control me- I will say and do whatever I want-- go ahead and stop me- you won't because you all are afraid of me and my power of appeals and lawsuits-- he gets away with everything no other person on the planet does--- these judges need to control him--- they won't and he will continue giving the finger to the rule of law--- I can't believe I am living in a country where there is Trump law and everyone else

It is 3 things...

1.) His ability to spend millions on an endless supply of attorneys who go non stop.

2.) Anything he does in court gets outsized publicity.

3.) He is running for the highest office and this causes high emotion including bomb threats and a need for higher security.

But you keep leaving out the most important thing.

2 Cents

Alina is having another bad day with basic courtroom skills.

From the article:

Habba began citing people who sent tweets, including an account known as "Power to the Polish," in which Habba pronounced the word as if it was to polish shoes.

"The person probably meant Polish," as in the country, the Judge explained.

:D

Carroll is seeking $10 million for harm to her reputation, as well as an unspecified amount of punitive damages.

And for E. Jean Carroll, Carroll I, filed in 2019, has become somewhat of a legal lay-up. That’s because the presiding federal judge, Lewis A. Kaplan, ruled in September that because of a jury’s verdict in Carroll’s other defamation case that was filed in 2022 (referred to as “Carroll II”), Trump cannot argue that he did not defame Carroll. In fact, the only thing left now for a jury to decide in Carroll I is how much to award Carroll for the damages she suffered as a result of Trump’s defamation of her in 2019, when he was president. In the interest of full disclosure, I am good friends with Carroll. Regardless of our friendship, my legal analysis is based on the facts and case law.

...Trump has already tried to convince Kaplan to cap Carroll’s damages to the $5 million verdict that was rendered last year in Carroll II. His argument was that the second jury this week should be bound by the first jury’s decision on the amount. But Kaplan denied that move and said that Trump was trying to “mix apples with oranges.”
To make matters worse for Trump, he appears to have failed to learn his lesson from his first courtroom battle with Carroll as he continues to defame her. Just a few days ago, he shared a barrage of 31 posts in about 30 minutes on his social media platform, Truth Social. The posts were not written by Trump, but instead were shared comments, interview clips and social media posts by others that disparaged and attacked Carroll. Not content to allow others to berate Carroll, Trump has also attacked her on television and even while on the campaign trail. Even Tuesday morning, before arriving at the federal courthouse, Trump posted on social media what appears to be yet another potentially defamatory statement about Carroll. His offensive conduct has been covered widespread by the media, which means a very high probability that prospective jurors have also heard and seen his repeated defamation of Carroll, which always presents its own challenge.
I wish there was a way to protect her from the misfits the former president activates. I'm not sure where she is located but it would be great if she had friendly eyes and ears in the community to help protect her from the misfits that show up like on her grocery store visit. I know wishful thinking but I'd like to beat them at their own game. You said you are good friend so I hope you can relay that women believe her and thank her for speaking out.

From the article:

Habba began citing people who sent tweets, including an account known as "Power to the Polish," in which Habba pronounced the word as if it was to polish shoes.

"The person probably meant Polish," as in the country, the Judge explained.

:D

Guess she has similar reading comprehension skills to her boss, eh?

Imo.

With all due respect, @ilovewings, (and I do get your frustration), what would you do if you were the judge?

Please keep in mind that the goal of a judge in every case is to conduct a trial fairly, so that the judge’s or the jury’s verdict will hold up in an inevitable appeal. Most defendants who are found guilty or lose a civil case appeal, not just Trump. The judge is not dealing with an ordinary, anonymous citizen here, and that has to factor into how he reacts, if he is being pragmatic and not just emotional. It may not seem fair to the ordinary defendant, but kicking Trump out of the courtroom or throwing him in jail overnight only gives further appeal ammunition to Trump, in addition giving him ever more fund-raising possibilities. Reeling him in without going to extreme measures deprives Trump of gathering sympathy from his very dangerous supporters. Personally, I would rather see the judge err on the side of caution than react in such a way that someone takes out their anger on E. Jean Carroll. I expect she would agree with his restraint. No amount of money is worth dying over just for the satisfaction of seeing the judge give Trump his comeuppance.

JMO

With all due respect, @ilovewings, (and I do get your frustration), what would you do if you were the judge?

Please keep in mind that the goal of a judge in every case is to conduct a trial fairly, so that the judge’s or the jury’s verdict will hold up in an inevitable appeal. Most defendants who are found guilty or lose a civil case appeal, not just Trump. The judge is not dealing with an ordinary, anonymous citizen here, and that has to factor into how he reacts, if he is being pragmatic and not just emotional. It may not seem fair to the ordinary defendant, but kicking Trump out of the courtroom or throwing him in jail overnight only gives further appeal ammunition to Trump, in addition giving him ever more fund-raising possibilities. Reeling him in without going to extreme measures deprives Trump of gathering sympathy from his very dangerous supporters. Personally, I would rather see the judge err on the side of caution than react in such a way that someone takes out their anger on E. Jean Carroll. I expect she would agree with his restraint. No amount of money is worth dying over just for the satisfaction of seeing the judge give Trump his comeuppance.

JMO
I understand what you are saying and it makes lots of sense --
I am no doubt reacting emotionally, but it is so galling that he knows
That basically he is untouchable for all of his horrible transgressions of the rule of
Law and further that he can make threats that result in death threats toward his
Targets---

Over less then ten minutes, Donald Trump made 26 posts on Truth Social of E. Jean Carroll's old social media posts. Trump could be seen in court yesterday flipping through enlarged printouts of these posts, including the one below, which he showed to his lawyers.

Attachments

• IMG_1419.jpeg
    IMG_1419.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 24
I understand what you are saying and it makes lots of sense --
I am no doubt reacting emotionally, but it is so galling that he knows
That basically he is untouchable for all of his horrible transgressions of the rule of
Law and further that he can make threats that result in death threats toward his
Targets---
I totally get what you are feeling @ilovewings and I feel the same way. In a perfect world this travesty wouldn’t be happening. I expect we can all agree that this country has never experienced someone with Trump’s
personality disorders combined with power and influence. The courts are simply not designed to deal with him the way they would an ordinary citizen with his attitudes. I think they’re doing the best they can under these unbelievable circumstances. Group hug!

I totally get what you are feeling @ilovewings and I feel the same way. In a perfect world this travesty wouldn’t be happening. I expect we can all agree that this country has never experienced someone with Trump’s
personality disorders combined with power and influence. The courts are simply not designed to deal with him the way they would an ordinary citizen with his attitudes. I think they’re doing the best they can under these unbelievable circumstances. Group hug!
a hug back at ya!!! you are right- Our courts are not designed to deal with him the way they deal with ordinary citizens-- You know the framers of the constitution were visionaries and brilliant, but I don't believe they ever envisioned someone with absolutely no conscience and so corrupt would occupy the office of the presidency: They believed the three branches of government, judicial, executive and legislative, would provide guard rails to prevent such a corrupt individual of becoming all powerful and fascist. Until now, they have been proven right. Our courts stood tall in the last election--- I am losing confidence though, that if (I shall not use his name) T should actually become president, that Democracy will remain.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back