Found Deceased NY - Alfa Barrie, 11, & Garrett Warren, 13, friends, Harlem, 12 May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I tend to doubt that it was foul play. Despite the apparent difference in location, from what I know of the tides and currents in the area, Alfa's body certainly could have drifted into the Hudson from the Harlem. It looks weird on the map because we're not used to seeing tributaries making 90 degree turns, but as I mentioned upthread the Harlem is not a river, it's a tidal strait. Also, as @nao points out, the difference in body weight could explain how the boys' bodies ended up in different locations.

And, from a CNN article today:

The law enforcement source said authorities have an account from another teenage boy, who was reportedly at the scene, who says Alfa and Garrett were playing by the water’s edge, and that one boy shoved the other toward the water and they both ended up going in.

The third boy saw them briefly but did not see them come up again or climb out of the water. A couple of hours later, he approached an adult, who called 911 and described the scene to police, the source said.
How sad for everyone involved. They were beautiful boys.

I tend to doubt that it was foul play. Despite the apparent difference in location, from what I know of the tides and currents in the area, Alfa's body certainly could have drifted into the Hudson from the Harlem. It looks weird on the map because we're not used to seeing tributaries making 90 degree turns, but as I mentioned upthread the Harlem is not a river, it's a tidal strait. Also, as @nao points out, the difference in body weight could explain how the boys' bodies ended up in different locations.

The law enforcement source said authorities have an account from another teenage boy, who was reportedly at the scene, who says Alfa and Garrett were playing by the water’s edge, and that one boy shoved the other toward the water and they both ended up going in.

The third boy saw them briefly but did not see them come up again or climb out of the water. A couple of hours later, he approached an adult, who called 911 and described the scene to police, the source said.

This burns me up!! This other kid was there and only said something A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER? WTF. I hate to say it, but
could he be the one who pushed them in?JMO MOO
edited to delete repeated info
Exactly.

This burns me up!! This other kid was there and only said something A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER? WTF. I hate to say it, but

I don't think we need to immediately jump to the third boy being the aggressor. To me the most likely scenario is that all three boys were playing together and roughhousing. When two of them went into the water the third got scared and ran off. And it took him 2 hours to screw up his courage and tell an adult.

It's very unfortunate, but I know there've been other cases where a child saw something and it took them hours or even days to tell someone. It isn't necessarily nefarious, their brains just kind of shut down.

And in the end, unless emergency services could have made it to the riverbank within 5 minutes I doubt they could have saved Alfa and Garrett.

No. I do not think he pushed them in. I think he was a child that saw something he could not quite process. His brain was likely expecting to see them up the street somewhere wet and laughing. Kids don't quite understand things like that. Or maybe his mom didn't get home for a couple of hours and he told her then. Or someone asked about the boys and that's when he told. I think he will never be ok, realizing what happened. He is lucky he wasn't one of them. Until and unless the police say otherwise, I am going to be overly supportive of this young guy who luckily didn't get too close, but witnessed the loss of his 2 friends at a very formative age.

it seems like they had a pretty good idea what happened from beginning but didnt release it

Police have said the boys accessed the Harlem River by going through a hole in a nearby fence, per CBS affiliate WCBS-TV.

The boys may have been horsing around near the river before they entered the water, according to CNN, NBC affiliate WNBC, and CW affiliate WPIX.

A teenage boy allegedly told authorities that the two were playing when one of them shoved the other towards the water, reported WNBC and CNN, both citing law enforcement sources. The teen said he did not see them exit the water, per CNN.

After one of the boys went into the river, the other slipped and fell into the water as well, reported WPIX, citing police sources

"As it shapes out, it seems to be more of a profound tragedy and probably horseplay gone wrong," said former NYPD Deputy John Miller, according to ABC affiliate WABC-TV.

The medical examiner's office determined that Warren died by accidental drowning, CNN and WNBC reported. Results of Barrie’s autopsy are pending.

The internet is so quick to jump to conspiracy theories at the drop of a hat because a simple explanation does not feed their appetite for drama. IMO. This is why I stay away from SM.
They are boys, they were playing around and had an accident.

I agree this seems like an accident. Parents and guardians, please please teach your kids and wards to swim. I am not saying it would have necessarily saved Alfa or Garrett, but it underscores the importance of teaching about safety around water and how to swim. I live in Arizona and the number of accidental drownings here is high. You think we are an arid desert (and we are) but there are a lot of pools, rivers, and lakes here and every year we start a count of how many children drown in pools, or we are surprised when the first one is in February. Please please, be responsible and take accountability. Water is powerful stuff.

So much love for the families and friends of Alfa and Garrett. Hope they can be honored in some wonderful way that brings gentle smiles and good memories.

Last edited:
I'm satisfied accounting although I'm sure the pushee's parents will harbor lifelong resentment toward the pusher. I wonder if it's even been officially established which was which.

Police in New York City are asking the public for any videos that might help them piece together the final 14 minutes before two young boys disappearedinto the Harlem River and died.

“These are 11 and 13-year-old kids. We believe they are going down there. They wanted to skip rocks, and do what 11- and 13-year-old kids do. They were playing around down there,” Chief Detective Essig said.

Essig laid out a timeline of events in the case.

He said the boys were seen in various parts of Manhattan in the afternoon and evening.

At about 6:45 p.m., police tracked their path to a pedestrian footbridge with a third youth.

A video showed two of the kids climbing over a fence and going toward the water.

The next time police saw any of the three is 7:04 p.m., 14 minutes later: The third youth was seen entering a Harlem park.

The boy left the park just after 9 p.m. and five minutes later an anonymous man called 911. He said that a group of children approached him and said that two kids were pushing each other and fell into the water.

Police responded and were unable to find the 911 caller or the kids. A search of the water didn’t turn up anything.

On May 14 at 2:23 a.m. Barrie’s sister called 911 and reported him missing. At 1:25 p.m. on Monday, Warren's mother called 911 and reported him missing.

Investigators quickly were able to connect the two missing cases.

A command post was set up and a search began. On Monday evening they were able to find the third youth and questioned him.

On May 18 at 10:25 a.m. the body of Garret Wilson was recovered in the East River at the Madison Ave. Bridge.

Two days later, at 6:50 a.m., the body of Alfa Barrie was found at 102nd and Riverside Dr. on the Hudson River.

Police said the tides and river flows had carried the bodies in different directions and that’s why they were found so far apart and in different rivers.

The investigation remains active to determine if criminality or if it was just a tragic accident.

Essig thinks the delays in reporting the boys missing were because they were believed to be with other relatives. “Everything we’ve heard, they were good kids,” Essig says.

I'm satisfied accounting although I'm sure the pushee's parents will harbor lifelong resentment toward the pusher. I wonder if it's even been officially established which was which.
No resentment, the families are graciously supporting each other. This is an update.
Some are upset and looking for answers. Grief is a process......moo

Last edited:
No resentment, the families are graciously supporting each other
That's actually really nice to hear considering it sounded like there was a class divide.

Reactions: nao

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid