Found Deceased NY - Alfa Barrie, 11, & Garrett Warren, 13, friends, Harlem, 12 May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not sure how you could come up with that. Who's to say they might have been playing near water and something went drastically wrong? IMO. I'm Waiting on MSM to tell us what happened I suggest you do too. SMH
My theory, which could be wishful thinking but is what I'm sticking to right now, is that they were trying to get somewhere off-limits on a bridge (maybe to try their hand at tagging?) and fell into the water.

what the heck is going on here?
did they both decide to go swimming after basketball?
do people swim in the Harlem River?
RIP Garrett :(

It doesn't appear to be the type of river that people can swim in, IMO.

^ That article is from 2013, but according to that article, private and public organizations were investing heavily to revive and build up the infrastructure around it, like the High Bridge (pedestrian bridge, opened in the 1800s but closed in the 1970s).

It flows south, from the Hudson River to the East River.

At least, in that respect, the Madison Ave Bridge (where they recovered Garrett) is south of the 14th St Bridge, where they were last seen.

I'm not sure how you could come up with that. Who's to say they might have been playing near water and something went drastically wrong? IMO. I'm Waiting on MSM to tell us what happened I suggest you do too. SMH
I generally place the most weight on what the medical examiner's report tells me. Police often don't release accurate information because managing the public's perception of events is an aspect of the investigative process <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't appear to be the type of river that people can swim in, IMO.

^ That article is from 2013, but according to that article, private and public organizations were investing heavily to revive and build up the infrastructure around it, like the High Bridge (pedestrian bridge, opened in the 1800s but closed in the 1970s).

It flows south, from the Hudson River to the East River.

At least, in that respect, the Madison Ave Bridge (where they recovered Garrett) is south of the 14th St Bridge, where they were last seen.

People can and do swim in the Harlem River, although it's not advised as it's still fairly polluted. Even so, there are a lot of recreational sports done there. Nearby schools and youth programs use the river for rowing practice.

Further north the river is rather peaceful and if you ignore the noise from the expressway you can almost convince yourself that you're on the banks of a river in the Catskills. I think the area near where the boys were last seen is more industrial, but I could see it attracting a couple of boys looking for somewhere to play.

Absolutely heartbreaking :(

May 20, 2023

MANHATTAN (PIX11) — A body was found floating in the Harlem River Saturday morning, police said.
It is believed to be missing 11-year-old Alfa Barrie, according to police sources.

The body was found floating in the river. New York City's Fire Department were said to be attending the water rescue at the Hudson River, near West 102nd Street- with the NYPD Harbor team set to recover the body.

Alfa Barrie was last seen in the Harlem area, near the 145th Street Bridge in the early hours of Saturday morning, May 13, at around 1.30am. He was last seen with Garrett Warren, 13.

Reports from the poplar Citizen app, which allows locals to share what's going on around them, say the incident was reported at Riverside Drive and West 102nd - 99th Street.

Sources told 1010WINS the body recovered today is likely that of Alfa. If it is him, authorities suspect currents carried him from the Harlem River to the Hudson River.

Alfa reportedly lived in The Bronx, while Garrett lived in Upper Manhattan, according to police.

what the heck is going on here?
did they both decide to go swimming after basketball?
do people swim in the Harlem River?
RIP Garrett :(

People in NYC generally DO NOT randomly go swimming in any of the rivers there. It's just not a smart thing to do considering the absolute filth and pollution in those waters. Kids in Harlem or the Bronx generally (I'd say 99.8% of the time) DO NOT jump into any of the rivers, especially at night.

I have two unsubstantiated theories:

1) A extremely unfortunate accident.
2) Possible connection to the African immigrant communities of NYC. Sometimes, there are issues internally within those communities regarding massive debts and this can lead to retaliation from underworld types. There's a possibility these boys were "taken care of" for a specific reason that we don't know yet.

The MSM has been quiet about foul play so far, but let's keep an eye on this one.

PWJ

News 4 NY just said that the boys were seen in the afternoon at the fish market “…then they were spotted back at Garrett’s house early Saturday morning. At 1:30 am they decided to go back out and play basketball but they never returned…”

Is this updated information, or did the reporter get it wrong?
<BBM and snipped to focus>

I'm wondering the same about the reporting. I keep thinking about this article:

"The two boys were observed on surveillance video leaving one of their homes and then walking together at 145th Street and Lenox Avenue in Harlem around 6 p.m. Friday, according to the NYPD."

<and again BBM>

"The Harlem location was the last place Barrie was seen. Warren was last seen in front of his home on Saturday around 1:30 a.m., according to an NYPD missing persons report."

So were they together back at the house, or not? Makes me question if the fish market was the last place Alfa was seen, and they bought a lot of fish/shrimp, did they take it somewhere and only Garrett went back home and then left again?

Absolutely a parent’s worst nightmare! Those poor young boys had a whole life to live. Garrett Warren’s death was accidental drowning.

Just saw this:

NEW YORK (PIX11) — Garrett Warren, the 13-year-old pulled from the Harlem River on Thursday, died of accidental drowning, the Office of Chief Medical Examiner told PIX11 News on Saturday.

The determination came hours after the body of Warren’s friend, Alfa Barrie, 11, was discovered in the Hudson River near 102nd Street. The medical examiner did not identify Barrie by name but said the most recent “decedent” would be examined Sunday.

Missing NYC boy Garrett Warren died of accidental drowning: ME

What’s odd is that Barrie got out of school at noon on Friday but didn’t tell his sister he was going to hang out with a friend. He just left. His family said he’s never just gone off before so what made him act in a different way the very day he ends up dead?

What’s odd is that Barrie got out of school at noon on Friday but didn’t tell his sister he was going to hang out with a friend. He just left. His family said he’s never just gone off before so what made him act in a different way the very day he ends up dead?
If I had to guess it would be the presence of a cool, new, older friend. I presume that, emboldened by their new friendship, they made some sort of risky youthful decision near the water and it ended in tragedy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back