Found Deceased NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I bet that there is a way to design a door system that would prevent this.

The children who can't leave the school unattended wear something which deactivates or locks the doors.
The teachers can wear something which overrides it.
So if the student is walking out with a teacher they can still leave.

This way the doors can't be opened if the student tries to leave alone.
I'm sure someone could design that. (Kind of like hospitals with newborns?)

http://www.awaare.org/

"Similar to wandering behaviors in seniors with dementia or Alzheimer’s, children with Autism are prone to wandering away from a safe environment. Unfortunately, many cases end in tragedy."

WANDERING DANGERS

Drowning; Exposure; Dehydration; Hypothermia; Traffic Injuries; Falls; Physical Restraint; Encounters with strangers; Encounters with law enforcement.

How come video surveillance hasn't been utilized more in the search for Avonte? There are surveillance cameras all over New York. I know one time a murderer was captured because they were able to track the victim from the moment he stepped out his door, from camera to camera, until the moment he was killed. Then they were able to backtrack following the killer from camera to camera and where he came from. All from surveillance cameras in New York!

I find this very odd also! Cameras on trains, security cameras in the area, etc. we have heard nothing about cameras. Is LE going to area businesses and asking to view their footage? With Mickey shunick, they had surveillance footage from various businesses. Has LE held a press conference lately?
I am impressed by the subway/train workers looking, and the brother's persistence in organizing searches. From media, it seems like the city is mobilized and keeping their eyes open, which is wonderful. If there is any video of him they need to release it because I am sure hundreds of people would head to that area to scour it.

BBM Sorry I just now posted something similar and then read your post about cameras. Great minds and all that lol. Couldn't agree more!

I just got online at little while ago after working all day and then attending a 2-1/2 hr. class. Kept thinking about Avonte. It saddened me to see that Avonte still hasn't been found. Even more to see this:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9276035
<snipped>
Police divers searching for 14-year old Avonte Oquendo entered the Newtown Creek Monday, near the Long Island City school where the autistic boy went missing Oct. 4.
:(

Where could Avonte be? I so agree with Snoods and Yoda...Someone had to have seen Avonte at some point after he left the school!

Avonte's family believes someone has taken him:
<snipped>
"If somebody does have him, release him, because he can't even tell on you. Write a note, put it in his pocket, write a note on his forehead, send him off," said Roc Conti, a cousin.

I just got online at little while ago after working all day and then attending a 2-1/2 hr. class. Kept thinking about Avonte. It saddened me to see that Avonte still hasn't been found. Even more to see this:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9276035
<snipped>

:(

Where could Avonte be? I so agree with Snoods and Yoda...Someone had to have seen Avonte at some point after he left the school!

Avonte's family believes someone has taken him:
<snipped>

Yes, it just seems they should be able to track him from cameras in the area. Just follow him from camera to camera. Even if there is a gap, it would probably pick him back up again somewhere close by. At least find which direction he went and then keep checking cameras. They know the approximate time so they wouldn't even need to necessarily check hours of footage.

I feel like crying after seeing that. :tears:

Awww I'm sorry. I know how you feel. I can't stop thinking about him either. He's just so helpless. I'm worried that he may have gotten thirsty and fallen in.

New tweets from brother.

https://twitter.com/KingDetrick

I want to stay hopeful but I think the family is realizing that it isn't looking good for Avonte. About the surveillance cameras...somewhere he should have been seen by now. I hate to say this but I think it is quite possible that
once he left the school and went towards Gentry Park, he may have immediately drowned in the East River. While I know family said he is afraid of water and I can see the tall chain link fences around the East River, young kids can scale a fence easily. While one mother slept her autistic son (9 or 10 years old) was able to reach the high lock, climbed a tree, and used the tree as a jumping point to get over a tall fence much like the chain link along the East River. He was found by police running on the golf course before mom even woke up. Are LE continuing to search the East River? Is there much of a flow and if so where does it flow to?

It's just been soooo long without even a single sighting of him. I think he is facing the sad reality. Sigh.

I feel like crying after seeing that. :tears:

I know how you feel. I started following this case right away and I just kept thinking that he would be found safe. Whatever the outcome, Avonte's family needs closure or they will be looking over their shoulder for him at every turn for the rest of their lives.

I'm already welling up tears in my eyes. I'm going to bawl like a baby over this young fella. How do you long-timers pick yourself up and carry on to the next one when something awful happens? But I'm not giving up on you Avonte, stranger things have happened!!

I bet that there is a way to design a door system that would prevent this.

The children who can't leave the school unattended wear something which deactivates or locks the doors.
The teachers can wear something which overrides it.
So if the student is walking out with a teacher they can still leave.

This way the doors can't be opened if the student tries to leave alone.
I'm sure someone could design that. (Kind of like hospitals with newborns?)
I worked at a group home that had a buzzer alarm system. If anyone opened the door, a buzzer sounded. There was a button near the door to deactivate the buzzer if it was only staff coming/going. We had a couple of bolters. The problem was, a resident could be out the door and down the road before staff had time to react. One resident was always found at the same place -- a convenience store where he would steal coffee, which he absolutely loved.

There was at least one security guard stationed at Avonte's school, but that didn't stop Avonte from leaving (but should have). There do need to be more innovative methods of preventing people with special needs from escaping their secure environment, such as your suggestion. People with intellectual deficiencies don't recognize danger, and can be very resourceful in finding a loophole in any type of security system.

Seriously, if money weren't an issue, I would travel and help out on every missing persons case all over the country. Currently I have a note in my purse with the name and number of a neighbor I have never met who is missing her 2 dogs. Evidently they were roaming in a cul-de-sac all day but no one could catch them. Treats. I keep them in my car with extra leashes just in case. Whenever we're driving when my husband sees a stray he now says, "Where do you want me to pull over?" :back:

Seriously, if money weren't an issue, I would travel and help out on every missing persons case all over the country. Currently I have a note in my purse with the name and number of a neighbor I have never met who is missing her 2 dogs. Evidently they were roaming in a cul-de-sac all day but no one could catch them. Treats. I keep them in my car with extra leashes just in case. Whenever we're driving when my husband sees a stray he now says, "Where do you want me to pull over?" :back:

Aww I knew I liked you! :blowkiss: And I'm cracking up at your pull over smilie :lol: I feed feral cats everyday (that I have taken myself and had spayed and neutered) and a few stray dogs as well that won't let anyone catch them. Like you, I always am on the lookout for a stray dog. (I work at a shelter.)

Aww I knew I liked you! :blowkiss: And I'm cracking up at your pull over smilie :lol: I feed feral cats everyday (that I have taken myself and had spayed and neutered) and a few stray dogs as well that won't let anyone catch them. Like you, I always am on the lookout for a stray dog. (I work at a shelter.)

:blowkiss: And thank you for your kind heart feeding those little helpless creatures. Yea...my husband use to think he could pass one up without me seeing hence, we did a lot of backpedaling. Now I have him trained. =) Last time we went for a stroll in the park...baby bird, fell from nest, crowd had gathered. "Honey, I said..." He replied, "I'll get the beach towel out of the car." Then he proceeded to the grocery store to pick up the food we needed to make the baby bird mix until we could take him to the "bird lady" the next morning.

Avonte...If only he knew how many strangers love him and want him home safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nat Dru
Back