Found Deceased NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok...grab your kleenex. A precious home video of Avonte on his birthday. What a sweet, darling boy! Somebody, please find him!!!

Exclusive Video of Missing Autistic Teen Avonte Oquendo - YouTube

His DOB is August 30, 1999 so this is probably his 14th birthday party.

He is mouthing along as they sing. So maybe lip reading is how others know his needs?

Gosh I can't imagine the heart ache this family is enduring. I pray Avonte is well. I've seen high rewards offered in other cases, and I'm not sure they are beneficial. :please:

The nights are getting cooler here in Virginia and I can't help but wonder if he's found a warm place to stay, food to eat? I had hoped today would be the day. I'm not going to stop praying!!!!! I believe in miracles!!!!!

Sadly I have not been able to follow this case closely but finally got a moment to check in. I was coming in to find the location of where he was last seen and then map it to look for water, and oddly enough when I opened up the thread it landed on pg 17 talking about the water in the area.
I really hope not, but that is a lot of water in the area.
How strong is the current?

From Wikipedia:East River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Due to heavy pollution, the East River is dangerous to people who fall in or attempt to swim in it, although as of mid-2007 the water was cleaner than it had been in decades. Anyone in the channel would find there are few places from which to climb out. According to the marine sciences section of the city Department of Environmental Protection, the channel is swift, with water moving as fast as four knots (just as it does in the Hudson River on the other side of Manhattan). That speed can push casual swimmers out to sea."

http://queens.about.com/od/parks/p/gantry_park.htm
Info on transportation to and from the park.

No official info on depth of the river although I found individuals saying it was as deep as 30-100 feet deep.

BBM

Sarx, I don't know how to do a double quote but this article says there is a swift current.

Ok...grab your kleenex. A precious home video of Avonte on his birthday. What a sweet, darling boy! Somebody, please find him!!!

Exclusive Video of Missing Autistic Teen Avonte Oquendo - YouTube

His DOB is August 30, 1999 so this is probably his 14th birthday party.

Oh, my heart aches for Avonte's family. It's so evident how much they love him. I could also see in his eyes the love he has for his family. Surely he misses them as much as they miss him. :tears:

The nights are getting cooler here in Virginia and I can't help but wonder if he's found a warm place to stay, food to eat? I had hoped today would be the day. I'm not going to stop praying!!!!! I believe in miracles!!!!!
BBM
So do I! I'm trying so hard to stay positive in this case. I think of Avonte at work and am anxious to get home and check my computer. Then, when I get online, I'm almost afraid to look. On WS, I look in the list on the home page and when I don't see Avonte's name among the missing, I'm anxious to know what condition he was found in and I just take a deep breath until I can see where he's listed.

Praying that Avonte will return to his family soon. :please:

BBM
So do I! I'm trying so hard to stay positive in this case. I think of Avonte at work and am anxious to get home and check my computer. Then, when I get online, I'm almost afraid to look. On WS, I look in the list on the home page and when I don't see Avonte's name among the missing, I'm anxious to know what condition he was found in and I just take a deep breath until I can see where he's listed.

Praying that Avonte will return to his family soon. :please:

I know, Indy Anna, I know. I'm kind of afraid to look at this thread, too. I squint my eyes as i'm looking at it, just afraid of what it will say.

Praying that Avonte will return to his family soon. Come home safely :please:

Gosh that video was just too much. I was definitely in tears. I also loved how there were other family members there as well. He's got a big loving family :((. My heart breaks watching it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

My friend is an NYPD officer and he says that he has fellow officers walking around with Avonte's picture attached to their uniform. I have another friend in the Academy and they are considering sending cadets out to look for him - and they almost never interrupt the classes unless it's an extreme emergency like 9/11 or Hurricane Sandy. Believe me, people can say what they want but I can assure you that every NYPD officer wants Avonte to be able to go home to his family. I have friends that work in all boroughs and his missing persons poster is EVERYWHERE.

Given the weather around here the past few days I just can't see how he could survive unless he has found shelter. It can be pretty cold in the morning and evening here on Long Island during mid October. Not to mention the food and water/liquids. Given that non-verbal autistics have trouble verbalizing what they are thinking I would imagine it would be difficult for him to walk into McDonald's and grab some grub unless he writes it down beforehand and hands it to the worker at the register - which is entirely plausible. Even then I doubt Avonte had that much money, if even any, on his person when he ran out of school.

My friend is an NYPD officer and he says that he has fellow officers walking around with Avonte's picture attached to their uniform. I have another friend in the Academy and they are considering sending cadets out to look for him - and they almost never interrupt the classes unless it's an extreme emergency like 9/11 or Hurricane Sandy. Believe me, people can say what they want but I can assure you that every NYPD officer wants Avonte to be able to go home to his family. I have friends that work in all boroughs and his missing persons poster is EVERYWHERE.

Given the weather around here the past few days I just can't see how he could survive unless he has found shelter. It can be pretty cold in the morning and evening here on Long Island during mid October. Not to mention the food and water/liquids. Given that non-verbal autistics have trouble verbalizing what they are thinking I would imagine it would be difficult for him to walk into McDonald's and grab some grub unless he writes it down beforehand and hands it to the worker at the register - which is entirely plausible. Even then I doubt Avonte had that much money, if even any, on his person when he ran out of school.

Could you tell us what your friend's feelings are about Avonte? Do officers feel it is most likely Avonte perished in the river since there have been no solid sightings?

Could you tell us what your friend's feelings are about Avonte? Do officers feel it is most likely Avonte perished in the river since there have been no solid sightings?
My friend in the Academy has "no idea where he could be", my other friend who is on the job seems to think he went into the East River ... but bear in mind that he is only one of 32,000 officers.

In all honesty though he could be anywhere although I tend to lean towards the river theory only because there have been no sightings of Avonte on security cameras or anything.

While it is true that the NYPD Marine Unit and ESU divers have searched both the East River and the Newtown Creek several times the East River has strong currents that could carry a body away pretty quickly.

My SIL just got alert from Newsday of a childs body has been found in a Lawrence Recycling Facility .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine
Back