Found Deceased NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Kelly said the video shows Avonte left the school and entered Hunters Point South Park across the street.

"He walks all the way down to the water. There's a path right next to the East River. We then lose sight of him," Kelly said.

"There's another video that shows someone coming out of the park, but it's not clear enough to say that with any degree of certainty that it's the young man," he added."

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20131025/long-island-city/avontes-mom-pleads-for-nypd-keep-searching

"Kelly said the video shows Avonte left the school and entered Hunters Point South Park across the street.

"He walks all the way down to the water. There's a path right next to the East River. We then lose sight of him," Kelly said.

"There's another video that shows someone coming out of the park, but it's not clear enough to say that with any degree of certainty that it's the young man," he added."

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20131025/long-island-city/avontes-mom-pleads-for-nypd-keep-searching
"There's another video that shows someone coming out of the park, but it's not clear enough to say that with any degree of certainty that it's the young man," he added.

But it might be Avonte. Where did that person go? In what direction did he go? They do need to find out who that person was.

Video of Hunter's Point South Park

http://youtu.be/8Nm-fIgaNGE

Can I just say out of frustration...EITHER PUT IN VIDEO CAMERAS THAT HAVE A CLEAR PICTURE OR DON'T PUT ANY AT ALL!!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

thank you for your patience...I just had to get that out!

"Police say Avonte was fascinated with trains and had previously turned up at subway stations after wandering off from home, so that is where investigators are focusing their energy.

Most recently, in August after he wandered away from home, family members ran to the 67th Avenue Station in Forest Hills where they found him.

Five years ago, he took the subway from Jamaica to Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike Station. Transit police found him that time. And seven years ago, he was found at the Fresh Pond Road Station in Ridgewood after wandering from home." http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9302322

Every time I think of Avonte my stomach just starts turning. So sweet, so vulnerable ... out there somewhere on his own. I'm a special education teacher and a mother too - Avonte's story just hits me so hard. I'm not going to give up hoping for a happy ending here.

Yes,it is very sad.I pray they continue to keep trying to find Avonte.I feel they are giving up too soon.Please don't give up on him.

O/T but I love your Halloween avi!

Boooooooo!:ghost:

I have a nasty feeling that the boy ran into the river that located near the school. He would of drowned and his body would floated away into the atlantic

I hate saying it aloud (or typing it aloud) but after all this time I think this may have been his fate as well. I didn't want to give people the visual so I haven't asked this, but I did wonder why he wouldn't have been spotted yet if he were in the water. This sadly answers my question. This makes it even more distressing to think he may never be found.

Can I just say out of frustration...EITHER PUT IN VIDEO CAMERAS THAT HAVE A CLEAR PICTURE OR DON'T PUT ANY AT ALL!!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

thank you for your patience...I just had to get that out!
What I don't fully understand is why they can be certain it was Avonte going into the park but not certain it was him exiting the park. It says "another video" showed someone exiting the park. My guess is that the video camera was at a different location, and so was taken from a greater distance and perhaps at a different angle. :dunno:

What I don't fully understand is why they can be certain it was Avonte going into the park but not certain it was him exiting the park. It says "another video" showed someone exiting the park. My guess is that the video camera was at a different location, and so was taken from a greater distance and perhaps at a different angle. :dunno:

Maybe but he had on a shirt with big stripes. Seems some enhancing of a video could pick up the stripes even if the camera got the back or side of him. :dunno:

Maybe but he had on a shirt with big stripes. Seems some enhancing of a video could pick up the stripes even if the camera got the back or side of him. :dunno:
Yeh...that's why I think the second video camera must have at least been further away than the first camera. If the same camera or a second camera only got a shot of someone from a different angle but from the same distance, LE would be able to see the same details as in the first shot.

I would really feel a lot more hopeful if LE could say with certainty it was Avonte emerging from the park. I do not like the looks of all that water. :notgood:

"Police say Avonte was fascinated with trains and had previously turned up at subway stations after wandering off from home, so that is where investigators are focusing their energy.

Most recently, in August after he wandered away from home, family members ran to the 67th Avenue Station in Forest Hills where they found him.

Five years ago, he took the subway from Jamaica to Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike Station. Transit police found him that time. And seven years ago, he was found at the Fresh Pond Road Station in Ridgewood after wandering from home." http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9302322

To me, he seems very resourceful, so I am not giving up hope. The above shows no less than 3 times, he made it onto trains and actually traveled the trains.

I hope the search efforts have put this news further out away than we would think. It's probably impossible, but it would be nice if every train station could have his missing poster around the station exits/entrances. He could have made it much further than we would think.

I am hoping somebody took him in and is caring for him by now, and that person is oblivious to the fact he is missing. Could be some other city that is very far from NY by now. As mentioned before, a person that may be caring for him may not be all "mentally stable" themselves and may be unware that he is a missing child. Since the boy cannot speak, it makes it much more difficult.

I am not giving up hope, and due to his 3 previous successful train station adventures, I would be trying to ensure missing posters went up at every station I could in all the surrounding states + cities that can have connections with NYC....like Long Island, New Jersey, Mass, CT, Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Pittsburg, Maine, Rhode Island, and maybe even Canada.

The surrounding states at least 3 states away is where I wish we could ensure posters in every station because the further he went, the more likely he would be noticed and found by a train conductor or someone else, so I do think maybe 3 states away would be a good effort.

I am hoping someone either has seen him and just not reported that they saw him yet OR hopefully someone has taken him in to care for him, and like mentioned before, that person maybe not all mentally "with it" themselves and thinks they are just helping him out by caring for him.

I'm pretty convinced he got on a train. Despite the attraction of the water, the combination of trains being his "thing" plus his history, lead me to believe he was making a beeline for something familiar. But how does one manage to get around by train without money? I'm not sure how the fare system works for this particular area?

He sounds like a pretty resourceful young man. I'm still holding on to that last glimmer of hope.

I'm pretty convinced he got on a train. Despite the attraction of the water, the combination of trains being his "thing" plus his history, lead me to believe he was making a beeline for something familiar. But how does one manage to get around by train without money? I'm not sure how the fare system works for this particular area?

He sounds like a pretty resourceful young man. I'm still holding on to that last glimmer of hope.

It is relatively easy to go under or over the "turnstyles". Like another poster mentioned, when living in NYC where subways are common, you get to know how to avoid the fares, even if you never have avoided the fare yourself, you either have seen someone do it or learned how to do it from others.

The Turnstyles used to be common where you walk through and your waiste area hits a turnstyle and when you place in your fare, the turnstyle activates allowing it to turn. People who avoid the fare will either crawl under or jump over them.

However, the "metal doorways" that spin only one-way are much tougher to beat. But since this boy has already done it 3 times before, I think he is really good at avoiding the fares and he knows all the tricks.

Im not sure about nowadays if they are basically how I remember them all to be, but I have no doubt this boy is resourceful enough to avoid the fares. He seems real good at it. I hope he is safe somewhere.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artificiallife86
Back