NY - Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein arrested on sex trafficking charges, 6 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to find MSM that says they are friends. (This has nothing to do with my feelings about Barr and if he should recuse from this new case.)

I did find this:
U.S. Attorney General William Barr
From Clinton To Trump: The Powerful Men In Jeffrey Epstein's Orbit
U.S. Attorney General William Barr served as counsel for the law firm Kirkland & Ellis, which was part of Epstein's legal team in 2007 and helped him obtain his plea deal. Barr is not recusing himself from the current case against Epstein, but he "has been and will remain recused from any retrospective review of the resolution of the earlier case in Florida," according to CNN reporting.

Accused Sex Trafficker Jeffrey Epstein’s Political Connections: A Guide :
Attorney General Bill Barr and Epstein go way back: back in the early 1970s, Barr’s father hired Epstein to work as a physics and math teacher at the elite Manhattan private school Dalton, despite the fact that Epstein did not have a college degree. Following Epstein’s arrest, former FBI assistant director Frank Figliuzzi hinted that Barr could “attempt to interfere” with the prosecution of the case, though this would be unlikely given the “obvious” link between the two men. During his confirmation hearings, Barr himself said he would likely recuse himself from any involvement with the Epstein case, as he previously served as counsel for the law firm Kirkland and Ellis, which also represented Epstein in negotiating the terms of his 2007 plea agreement. But in an essay for the Daily Beast, former federal prosecutor Mimi Rocah expressed concern that Barr wouldn’t keep his word in this regard: “while it pains me to say this, given Barr’s conduct in the past acting more as a defense attorney for Trump than an overseer of justice, I am concerned that Barr might interfere if he thought that Epstein might implicate Trump, who was friends with Epstein,” she wrote.

In the article you linked to above, with interviews with students from the Dalton school, it mentions Epstein's hiring by and friendship with Barr's father. It also quotes some of the students talking about how AG Barr used to attend school/social events at Dalton School with his father and that students were familiar with him back then. There was some mention of AG Barr playing bagpipes or something at school functions. It also sounds like faculty socialized with Barr's father, so assume there were numerous occasions when AG Barr socialized with Epstein.

Given Epstein's subsequent activities with many DC politicians in later years, it's safe to assume he encountered AG Barr again in later years and knew him through mutual friends. Epstein was very active in those social circles and DC is a "company town". So, it seems prudent to review their relationship over the years with an eye to asking Barr to recuse himself. If they place a gag order on the current federal case and cut off public access to information about allegations against Epstein, that should also be a red flag. All JMO of course.

In the article you linked to above, with interviews with students from the Dalton school, it mentions Epstein's hiring by and friendship with Barr's father. It also quotes some of the students talking about how AG Barr used to attend school/social events at Dalton School with his father and that students were familiar with him back then. There was some mention of AG Barr playing bagpipes or something at school functions. It also sounds like faculty socialized with Barr's father, so assume there were numerous occasions when AG Barr socialized with Epstein.

Given Epstein's subsequent activities with many DC politicians in later years, it's safe to assume he encountered AG Barr again in later years and knew him through mutual friends. Epstein was very active in those social circles and DC is a "company town". So, it seems prudent to review their relationship over the years with an eye to asking Barr to recuse himself. If they place a gag order on the current federal case and cut off public access to information about allegations against Epstein, that should also be a red flag. All JMO of course.

From the article linked in my earlier post, it appears that Epstein started teaching there after Barr’s father resigned, so he and Barr’s son wouldn’t necessarily have met at the school. But it’s certainly possible they met later. The main connection/conflict of interest I see right now is that Barr’s boss was a close friend of Epstein for years, so recusal would seem prudent, but probably won’t happen.

ETA: Adding link. Barr Quits Dalton School Post, Charging Trustees' Interference

Last edited:
Not necessarily, if the client is over age 18, and not currently in direct contact with the perpetrator, there is no law to report, prior contact.

Actually that's not necessarily the case - in some places (and of course depends on the state/year) it is based on whether the alleged perpetrator still has access to children. Also... for therapists there is also the ethical standards of conduct (which do not always match up with legal requirements).

But again - it DOES vary based on state. I'd be curious to know if there were so called mandated reporters who failed to make reports a la the Sandusky type scenario. Cause all that is required to mandate a report is a SUSPICION of abuse. Not knowing whether any actual abuse took place or who did it - it's only based on suspicion.

It could be reports were indeed made and quickly closed as "unfounded."

So many factors to consider in this case, it's bonkers!

JMO of course

Good work, Hot Dog!

FWIW According to this article, it’s quite possible he hired Epstein, since Barr didn’t actually leave in Feb. 1974:

Mr. Barr said that he would remain until June 7 as headmaster of the coeducational school,

Barr Quits Dalton School Post, Charging Trustees' Interference

Of course, I don’t really think it has much bearing on whether his son the AG should recuse himself from the case.

Ahhh good catch about the June 7th date! You are 100% right. Especially cause contracts and offer letters etc run on on a July 1 - June 30 timeline etc for lots of these private elite instutions. Definitely seems to tip the scales towards him having been involved in the hiring. Interesting.

FYI, I feel a need to emphasize my own interest in this has nothing to do with the current recusal question.

I find the timing of the Dalton - Barr - Epstein stuff of interest given the Donald Barr 1974 science fiction novel with a plot line involving being a sex slave AND the timing of Woody Allen's film "Manhattan" coming out just a few years later which would mean it was written/filmed etc around the same time (~1974-ish). I hadn't realized the fictional female teenager character in the movie was a student at Dalton. Woody Allen continued to be good friends with Epstein.

Just interesting how there are overlapping themes in their lives. I find it unusual that a former English professor at Columbia University would publish that kind of science fiction novel while he was a headmaster at a prep school for kids. It's kind of out keeping with the way people in academia manage their professional reputations especially at that caliber institution (Ivy League etc).

From the article linked in my earlier post, it appears that Epstein started teaching there after Barr’s father resigned, so he and Barr’s son wouldn’t necessarily have met at the school. But it’s certainly possible they met later. The main connection/conflict of interest I see right now is that Barr’s boss was a close friend of Epstein for years, so recusal would seem prudent, but probably won’t happen.

ETA: Adding link. Barr Quits Dalton School Post, Charging Trustees' Interference

I agree that Donald Barr's SON Bill Barr would not necessarily have had contact so I don't see it as a reason for recusal just based on that.

Looks like Bill Barr attended Horace Mann before going to college at Columbia University. Of course, Horace Mann is a also very expensive elite prep school (tuition currently runs $51,000/year). It's located on UWS and Riverdale whereas Dalton is UES. Makes sense BB went to Horace Mann because his mom was on faculty at Columbia as well (and Columbia is on the west side).

Of course Horace Mann has a widely known history of a sexual abuse scandal that dates back to the 1970s-1980s.

The Horace Mann School’s Secret History of Sexual Abuse

Twitter
When Jeffrey Epstein returned to New York years ago after being branded a sex offender, his reputation appeared to rise. It was no accident.
Among the things Epstein did to rehab his image after jail: – Paid $600 to place a pre-written Forbes article calling him “one of the largest backers of cutting edge science”
n 2015, an Epstein charity received $10 million in cash. The source is a mystery, but the address for the donor in tax records matches a building that houses the family foundation of Leon Black, a longtime associate and the chairman of the MoMA.
Jeffrey Epstein Was a Sex Offender. The Powerful Welcomed Him Anyway.

Twitter
When Jeffrey Epstein returned to New York years ago after being branded a sex offender, his reputation appeared to rise. It was no accident.
Among the things Epstein did to rehab his image after jail: – Paid $600 to place a pre-written Forbes article calling him “one of the largest backers of cutting edge science”
n 2015, an Epstein charity received $10 million in cash. The source is a mystery, but the address for the donor in tax records matches a building that houses the family foundation of Leon Black, a longtime associate and the chairman of the MoMA.
Jeffrey Epstein Was a Sex Offender. The Powerful Welcomed Him Anyway.

I was just about to post this article. He was a master public relations manipulator!

Looks like Donald Barr had a long history relating to math -

From Columbia Columbia Today (May, 2004) - copy and paste below of relevant portion and link to original follows. This was published re: death of Donald Barr in 2004.

(BBM below)

***********************copy and paste below********

"Donald Barr, educator, writer and former headmaster, Colebrook, Conn., on February 5, 2004. Barr was born in Manhattan on August 2, 1921, and majored in mathematics and anthropology at the College. He went into the Army and served with the Office of Strategic Services in Washington, D.C., and Europe. Returning to Columbia, he taught in the English department while getting his master’s from GSAS in 1950 in English and comparative literature and completing course requirements for a Ph.D. By then, he was teaching courses with field work in sociology and political science at the School of Engineering and writing science and mathematics texts for elementary and junior high school students. In 1955, the Engineering School asked him to oversee its efforts to spot promising elementary and secondary science students, including girls, and enlist them for advanced training at the school to help them rise to the college level. Joining the Engineering Dean’s Office, he developed the Science Honors Program, which garnered the attention and support of the National Science Foundation. Barr became assistant dean of the faculty of the Engineering School in 1959, and the foundation asked him to administer its entire Cooperative College-School Program. He did so beginning in 1963, continuing until he became headmaster at the Dalton School the following year.

Barr, a traditionalist in academic matters, took a no-nonsense approach that rated good conduct as a virtue. He expressed his views on education not only at the schools he headed but also in national forums. His sometimes stormy tenure at Dalton ended in 1974 with his departure after disputes with the trustees over budget priorities and his disciplinarian approach to substance abuse. The next year, he became headmaster at Hackley School in Tarrytown, N.Y., where he soon dismissed more than two dozen students for disruptive conduct and poor academic performance. This time, he had parents and trustees in his corner. He also upgraded the curriculum, adding foreign languages and bolstering academic subjects and the arts. Barr’s wife, Mary Margaret Ahern Barr, died in 2001. He is survived by his sons, Christopher J. ’75, William P. ’71, Hilary B.T. ’74 and Stephen M. ’74; and eight grandchildren."

************end of copy and paste*** link below****

So, here's what we know -

In 1973 Bill Barr (at age 23 - he was born in 1950) got his master's degree from Columbia, got married, and started working in the General Counsel of the the CIA (from 1973-1977). Pretty busy year for him! He also obtained his JD from George Washington Law School in 1977 so he was pretty busy between 1974-1977 I would assume.

Epstein started at Dalton fall 1974 and was about age 20.

Donald Barr (headmaster at Dalton from 1964 until June 7, 1974) had a professional background that included being specifically asked by Columbia University to help spot students with a talent for math, etc. His bio and obituaries also says he wrote science and math texts/ non-fiction for children.

In context, makes perfect sense and seems to fit that Donald Barr would have had some influence in Epstein getting a teaching position at Dalton.

Does it have any relevance to Bill Bar now? Meh. IMO seems like a stretch based on info available to us thus far.

LINK - just scroll to "1941" and you'll see his entry with photo etc

Columbia College Today

And this concludes my deep dive investigatory research into this particular topic, LOL.

...AND the timing of Woody Allen's film "Manhattan" coming out just a few years later which would mean it was written/filmed etc around the same time (~1974-ish). I hadn't realized the fictional female teenager character in the movie was a student at Dalton. Woody Allen continued to be good friends with Epstein.

Ugh. I forgot the plot that movie until your post. I recall seeing the film years ago and thinking it was weird. I might have to re-watch with new eyes.

jmo

I think he likes money a lot.

I think he got money by hinting blackmail and also the fact that he could get his buddies what they want.- never ending young girls.

There is no doubt to me that he has plenty of documentation. Why not

Good commentary from WaPo that Epstein’s case is not a partisan political issue. It is a sexual predation issue regardless of who is involved in either party. The key takeaway from the article in bold:

But the only people who view sexual predation as a partisan problem are those who treat victims as nothing more than rhetorical cudgels.
—————-
But if it’s not surprising to see a sprawling case like this recast as one more arena for Republicans and Democrats to take potshots at one another, it’s a depressing confirmation of how easily horrific crimes against vulnerable young women are weaponized for political score-settling. On Sunday, Noah Shachtman of the Daily Beast, one of the first outlets to report Epstein’s arrest, issued a breathtakingly cynical tweet : “I’m seeing lots of folks on the left and the right who seem absolutely sure that Epstein is going to give up their political enemies. Hot tip: he’s just as likely to give up your allies.” Christine Pelosi, a Democratic National Committee official and the daughter of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), warned — also via Twitter — that it was “quite likely that some of our faves are implicated” in Epstein’s trafficking operation. Trump defenders have, predictably, mobilized on social media to argue that if their man had any involvement in Epstein’s sleazy enterprise, “his enemies would have played that card” in 2016. Just as predictably, Fox News personalities have been so eager to blame Epstein’s sweetheart plea deal on Barack Obama that they haven’t bothered to check whether he was president at the time. (Spoiler: He was not.)

What’s the line from Romeo and Juliet? “A plague on both your houses.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...ac6bb02d01d_story.html?utm_term=.0ed5e12db7b5

Thanks all for the fascinating Epstein/Barr/Dalton conversation.

Down here in the desert, on the other end of the economic and political spectrum, we had a local teacher (female) sentenced this week, 20 years for having sex with a student.

Teacher Brittany Zamora sentenced to 20 years for molesting student

Sickening the pathetic sentence Epstein received. Hoping he squeals and gives up some serious names to save himself. Then again, “something” might happen to him before he takes anyone down with him.

Any guesses how this plays out?

Take Notice:

We Will Be Silent No Longer.

We will no longer accommodate the abuse.

Here Us Now.

We Will Not Be Silent.

I meant to say "Hear Us Now".

I was distraught and mistakenly typed "here" which was a typo mistake.

I'm standing in my full strength now and I will not apologize for anything I have to say.

My body belongs to me.

You will not diminish me, despite your best efforts.

I am here. I am not going away.

I will not be silent.

I want to know why that Maxwell woman is not arrested!

And are the LE going to look for the young girls in the pictures?

What is on the CD’s?

Maxwell and the other female pimps were given immunity. Hopefully that won’t hold now.

Ghislaine Maxwell is the former girlfriend and partner of Jeffrey Epstein, the multi-millionaire financier and registered sex offender who has been arrested on new federal child sex trafficking charges. Maxwell has been accused of procuring and recruiting young girls for Epstein. She was named as a co-conspirator in the first case against Epstein but was granted immunity.

———-
The women who were granted immunity include:

• A former Epstein assistant, Sarah Kellen, who allegedly kept a Rolodex of young women to recruit for trysts with Epstein. She has since married NASCAR racecar driver Brian Vickers and started her own interior design firm called SLK designs. A recent article by The Daily Beast refers to public records showing that Kellen once operated SLK from a midtown Manhattan building owned by Epstein’s brother.
  • Adriana Ross, a former model from Poland who was hired by Epstein in 2002 to work at his Florida mansion and allegedly help set up sex sessions for the billionaire. She was questioned in 2010 regarding any participation by Prince Andrew in the trafficking ring set up by Epstein.
  • Lesley Groff, another former assistant who allegedly coordinated travel arrangements with young girls and scheduled massage sessions for her boss.
  • Nadia Marcinkova, one of Epstein’s alleged “sex slaves,” who allegedly participated in his trysts with underage girls. She is now a commercial pilot certified by the FAA and is a social media influencer who goes by the name “Global Girl.”
Jeffrey Epstein had help operating sex trafficking ring from women he allegedly coerced

I'm still scratching my head over that one. Since when does a plea deal include immunity for co-conspirators? Awfully magnanimous of Epstein, wasn't it?

I have NEVER heard of that. Any lawyers among us like to weigh in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams